The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

weltek 16824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-20-11, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Back in 2001, probably before I even wandered to OT, I used to get recipes delivered by a service called "Content Mail." I don't even know if it still exists. So Marsha K., whomever you are, thanks for the yummy recipe. I just made it for the first time this week. Ten years this has sat in my recipe collection! I loved the chicken, thought the rice was just "ok." So please, improve it!

I'm going to write the original recipe, though I used three boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of pork, pounded out just a little for even cooking. It takes about 40 minutes to prepare and is easy peasy!

1 pkg. Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mix
1 1/3 c. water
2/3 c. apple juice
2 T. butter or margarine
6 butterflied pork chops (or 3 chicken breasts)
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup apple jelly (I was also thinking it might be good with maple syrup)
2 Tbsp. mustard (I used dijon)
1/4 c. golden raisins (optional-I like to plump them using a little hot water and letting it sit for a bit-drain off water when plumped)
1 c. chopped, unpeeled red apple
1/3 c. toasted almonds (pecans would also be good)
Additional salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Prepare the rice according to package directions, using the mixture of water and apple juice and 1 Tbsp. of butter.

Melt remaining Tbsp. of butter in a frying pan. Sprinkle pork (or chicken) with coriander, salt and pepper. Saute pork (or chicken) for about 4-6 minutes each side. If using chicken, you may want to throw a lid on the skillet for a bit and steam the chicken to cook through.

When chicken is cooked, remove it from pan. Add the mustard, jelly and raisins. Cook and stir until bubbly, about 2 minutes. Pour over meat.

Stir the apples and nuts into the rice. Salt and pepper to taste.

-Handcrafted by RollDdice

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... qwertypie 10-20-11 1
 RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... frodis 10-20-11 2
 RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... Tummy 10-21-11 3
   RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... weltek 10-22-11 4
 RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... woeisme1 10-22-11 5
   RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... weltek 10-22-11 6
       RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... qwertypie 10-23-11 7
       RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... woeisme1 10-23-11 8
           RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... Karchita 10-23-11 9
           RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... qwertypie 10-24-11 10
               RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... Karchita 10-25-11 11
                   RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... qwertypie 11-18-11 12
                       Thank you woeisme1 11-19-11 13
                           RE: Thank you Karchita 12-11-11 18
                               RE: Thank you woeisme1 12-11-11 19
 Fait Accompli! qwertypie 11-19-11 14
   RE: Fait Accompli! qwertypie 11-21-11 15
 RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... Tummy 11-22-11 16
 RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or c... frodis 12-02-11 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

qwertypie 9522 desperate attention whore postings

10-20-11, 10:18 PM (EST)
1. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Looks yummy! Mr. Qwerty is always buying various prok cuts and I never know what to do with them.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

frodis 4385 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-20-11, 10:40 PM (EST)
2. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
I actually made something similar last night, bone-in pork chops with an apple/onion/mustard glaze. I used apple cider instead of apple jelly. I wish I had thought to add coriander!

I'll definitely give this a try since I have a lot of pork chops in the freezer right now. Thanks, weltek!!

Scared sleepless by moonbaby!

Tummy 3369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-21-11, 05:43 PM (EST)
3. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
I'm making this with Karchita's zucchini soup sometime this week. I'll bake the rice with the apples, onions, mushrooms, garlic ect - bake the chicken or chops on top with the seasoning packet sprinkled over. And make the sauce stovetop. I may add some sweet white wine to the apple juice.

I feel like a bad mom who's neglected her baby for the last couple of months. I have a lot of catching up to do!

10-22-11, 10:35 AM (EST)
4. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
That sounds like a good idea. As I said, I didn't LOVE the rice. I think it's the "stovetop quick rice" thing, and it was a little light on seasoning. I almost put mushrooms in, but thought I'd stick with the pure recipe for the first time. But, I think mushrooms and onions would definitely help with the flavor issue.

woeisme1 3980 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-22-11, 04:32 PM (EST)
5. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
This looks absolutely yummy. I may try it next weekend (I have a lot of leftovers to eat first and a dinner out today) since I hate cooking during my work week. When I first saw all the ingredients I thought it looked time consuming but the directions look easy peasy as you said. Thank you (and Marsh K) for a simple new meal.

YES, it's an Agman 2011 Handcrafted by RollDdice, who rocks my world as much as IceCat.
Is there any room on the schedule that I might be able to do a recipe also?
Woe's world

10-22-11, 09:08 PM (EST)
6. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
I think it's full through the end of the year, but we start over again in January and would love to have another OT chef!

10-23-11, 02:29 AM (EST)
7. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Ditto that!

10-23-11, 03:07 AM (EST)
8. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
I am so flattered that you would consider me a chef! I am more of a baker and really hate cooking on top of the stove but I do have some yummy recipes that are more oven oriented as it were I do an enchiladalasagna for Christmas parties and was thinking of submitting that but can do the pics when I do make it.

YES, it's an Agman 2011 Handcrafted by RollDdice, who rocks my world as much as IceCat.

Woe's world

Karchita 4282 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-11, 03:44 AM (EST)
9. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Baking recipes are welcome, too. Most people seem to do a dinner entree, but you can post any kind of recipe you want.

I'm a baker, too, and I'd love to try out one of your fav recipes.

~siggie by one cool agdude

10-24-11, 10:43 PM (EST)
10. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
*waiting for the enchiladalasagna recipe* *or any baking recipe*

Seriously, any recipe is goodness. We had an amazing one for strawberry icecream and scones that were not entrees (my kids would beg to disagree), and other than me saying some very bad words when I was trying to pour the egg mixture into the custard eggs in icecream -- who knew?), we really enjoyed it. And another favorite was for a very dense, very ungood-for-you-but-oh-so-good missippi mud cake.

I enjoy all the recipes posted here. Some are very simple which I appreciate and some definitely take me out of my comfort zone which I appreciate as well. My family is certainly a fan of OTCC.

Of course, it would be much more enjoyable if I had a new kitchen that was semi-functional.

10-25-11, 00:39 AM (EST)
11. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Remember the popovers? Yummers!!

Woe and anyone else who is interested, you may want to look here to see the range of past OTCC recipes:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID22

~siggie by one cool agdude

11-18-11, 09:16 PM (EST)
12. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
BUMP.

Honestly, I am really, really going to try and make this this weekend. The trip, prepping for Sam's annual review, strep and the GI virus that hit us has not made it conducive for OTCC

11-19-11, 06:40 PM (EST)
13. "Thank you"
For bumping this thread, I missed alot of posts in it and am seriously considering putting all the OTCC recipes in a hardcover cookbook. I have a new book publishing software and am currently working on another book for one of my granddaughters. And still learning how to use it.

Handcrafted by RollDdice, who rocks my world as much as IceCat.

And I am really looking forward to putting some recipes in next year. I get to take my pictures of the enchiladalasagna next month, woo hoo!

12-11-11, 03:48 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Thank you"
http://landing.blurb.com/fbcook/landing-43634-1617ZE.html

12-11-11, 06:22 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Thank you"
Oh, I see you have it, too I am still trying to figure out how to do the layout of pics and writing the way I want it. Do you find it difficult to use? Then I had this computer issue that did nasty things to the thumbdrive everything was on. But luckily I did find an older version and now I have to rewrite what was lost.

Agman made me pretty 2011
Thank you!

11-19-11, 09:34 PM (EST)
14. "Fait Accompli!"
It is good. Any easy. Next time I would double the sauce and cook it longer (I was too impatient and pulled it too soon). I like the sauces a bit more thick (more like in your pictures). The kids also really enjoyed it and the house smells wonderful. I didn't do anything fancy smancy with the rice, due to picky DD, bu tI will add apples and pumpkins seeds when DH comes home later.

Thanks for the recipe. The family appreciates it when I put something new into the rotation.

Next time I think I will steam some baby potatoes because I think the sauce will go well with that too.

11-21-11, 11:28 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Fait Accompli!"
Just want to say that a) I made it with Chicken and b)the leftovers were phenominal!

Tummy 3369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-22-11, 04:18 PM (EST)
16. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
I'm thinking of using this with left-over turkey!

We were suppose to be having a Un-Thanksgiving but somehow everyone that is coming over is bringing Thanksgiving type food, so....

frodis 4385 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-11, 04:33 PM (EST)
17. "RE: OTCC: Mustard Glazed Pork (or chicken) with Apple Wild Rice"
Checking in! Catching up! This was yummy!

I used boneless, butterflied pork chops. I pounded them out so they would be thin and cook evenly.

I didn't have Uncle Ben's, but I did recently go on a rice shopping spree and decided to use red rice for this. I cooked it in a mix of half chicken stock and half unfiltered apple cider.

I didn't stray too far from the recipe (well, not too far for me, that is.) After removing the chops, I deglazed the pan with white wine first. I did omit the raisins and added a diced red onion instead. I substituted applesauce for the apple jelly. (I had just made a megaton of applesauce so it seemed to make sense.) I also added the apple and onion to the sauce instead of to the rice. When the sauce was done, I dunked the chops back into the pan to get them all coated with the sauce (yum.) I sprinkled toasted pecans over the top instead of mixing-in.

The sauce was fantastic - very thick and savory. I had intentionally left the rice plain because I wasn't sure how the family would like the apple/nut chunks in there, but I shouldn't have worried. We all ended up mixing sauce into the rice. Maybe next time I'd add half of the apple/onion mix to the sauce and half to the rice. Mr. Fro was a very big fan of the sauce with the pork chops (I was, too.)

Here's the finished dish, served with a side of sauteed mixed mystery greens and bacon. (there's spinach in there, and tatsoi, and a bag of something that I couldn't remember what it was.)

Thumbs up! I'll definitely make this again.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •