The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

Silvergirl1 8863 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-15-11, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
I'll start by apologizing for being late, but I guess I am trying to make up for it with three recipes, 2 of them are going to be accompanied by my own pictures, and one with an image I borrowed from a recipe site.

From the Eater's Choice cookbook - Lemon Chicken (Low fat)

8 boned and skinless chicken breast halves (I sometimes use half as much chicken, so there will be more sauce in this dish)
juice of 2 1/2 lemons
2 TBS butter
1 TBS olive oil (EVOO)
1 cup unbleached white flour (I always use whole wheat flour, and it comes out great!)
1 tsp salt (use half if you are salt sensitive)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 TBS grated lemon peel
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TBS fresh lemon juice + 2 TBS water
1 - 2 lemons, sliced thin

Place chicken in a bowl or casserole. Marinate in lemon juice in fridge overnight or several hours, turning chicken periodically.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put butter and olive oil in shallow baking pan, and place in oven until butter melts (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, combine flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in a plastic bag. Remove chicken from marinade and coat each piece in flour mixture by shaking it in the bag.

Remove baking pan from oven and lower the heat to 350 degrees. Place the chicken in the baking pan in a single layer. Grate the lemon peel and mix it in with the brown sugar.

Sprinkle the lemon zest sugar mixture over the chicken breasts. Combine lemon juice and water and sprinkle evenly over chicken.

Put one lemon slice on each chicken breast and bake chicken for 35 to 40 minutes or until it is cooked through.

Serves 8 when you use 8 breasts, and it has 223 calories per serving.

(Picture is not mine, I borrowed it from another web site.)

I'll be back in a half hour to finish the rest of the recipes, with an edit to this post.

Mermaid in the Drink, Silvergirl original 2011
"I have an exaggeratedly sarcastic sense of humor and go out of my way to offend." franz 2-11-11

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... Tummy 02-15-11 1
 RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... qwertypie 02-16-11 2
   Update! qwertypie 02-16-11 4
       RE: Update! Silvergirl1 02-17-11 8
           RE: Update! qwertypie 02-17-11 13
 RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... weltek 02-16-11 3
 Lemon Chicken just out of the oven ... Karchita 02-17-11 5
   RE: Lemon Chicken just out of the o... Silvergirl1 02-17-11 10
 RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... CTgirl 02-17-11 6
   RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... Karchita 02-17-11 7
       RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... Silvergirl1 02-17-11 9
           RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... CTgirl 02-17-11 11
           RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... Karchita 02-17-11 12
               RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... CTgirl 02-18-11 14
                   RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... Silvergirl1 02-19-11 15
                       RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... qwertypie 02-20-11 16
                       RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... CTgirl 02-20-11 17
                       RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... Karchita 02-20-11 19
                   Meal #3 CTgirl 02-20-11 18
 RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... frodis 02-20-11 20
 Report weltek 03-04-11 21
   *smiles and moonbaby 03-04-11 22
       RE: *smiles and weltek 03-05-11 23
 RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried C... samboohoo 03-06-11 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tummy 2869 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-15-11, 10:02 PM (EST)
1. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
First of all - yay! And with pics no less! Pics make me happy.

I'm going to ask which recipe you think is the best. I'm on the 4 Hour Body diet and OTCC is my 1 cheat meal that I'm allowing myself. With 3 entrees I'm going to have to choose one.

So I may wait until others have chimed in.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

qwertypie 8638 desperate attention whore postings

02-16-11, 02:58 AM (EST)
2. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
Yeah!
And I was wondering what to do with the chicken in my fridge.

I'll make this tomorrow.

02-16-11, 11:47 PM (EST)
4. "Update!"
LAST EDITED ON 02-16-11 AT 11:50 PM (EST)

HUGE HIT!!
Mama Qwerty came over the Survivor premiere and help test out the recipe. Dinner was late because the van conked out (again -- but that is another story), so I was very appreciative how quick and easy and forgiving the recipe is.

I baked this in my large pampered chef large bar pan. Next time I will use the smaller one because I found the sauce was spread a bit thin and had browned.

It was very, very yummy. No one can believe how low fat and good for you this is. Sam had 2 chicken breasts. We had to stop him from grabbing a third.

Sarah told me I absolutely had to make this many more times. Thanks for sharing this!!

ETA - I used whole wheat flour.

02-17-11, 12:00 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Update!"

I'm glad you all enjoyed it! DD and I really love it, and I know DH likes it too. It's better than any restaurant lemon chicken that I have eaten, so it's a nice family dinner. I usually serve it with brown rice and broccoli.

My GF is going to be a Pampered Chef salesperson. I know I will get to go to a party soon. Do you like the stuff you have bought from them?

"I have an exaggeratedly sarcastic sense of humor and go out of my way to offend." franz 2-11-11

02-17-11, 06:26 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Update!"
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-11 AT 09:42 PM (EST)

Love their stuff. The only thing I was disappointed in was the oil mister because it clogged up.
I have several stone ware pieces (pizza stones, loaf pan, bar pans), measuring cups (including a cup which has a sleeve within a sleeve so you can pop out sticky stuff like molasses), a v shaped knife, a knife to make crinkle cuts, a pineapple cutter (way too cool - this one I use alot), a pie guard and gate, apple corer/peeler. I probably have some other pieces too.

ETA How could I forget about my wonderful terry cloth oven mitts (they are only sold singly, at least when I bought them).

weltek 16430 desperate attention whore postings

02-16-11, 03:54 PM (EST)
3. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
I've been looking for a good lemon chicken recipe!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Karchita 3794 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-17-11, 01:57 AM (EST)
5. "Lemon Chicken just out of the oven ..."
... and DH just called that he's running late. Too bad for him because I could not wait.

OMG, this was really good. Very easy to make and nice and tart and lemony and it looked beautiful both in the pan and served over a bed of rice. I took photos and will try to add them later. I actually thought mine looked even better than the photo SG "borrowed". Most lemon chicken recipes I have encountered are a bit insipid, but not this one.

I made the following changes:

• made it with enough chicken to serve six (started with three whole breasts) but the full amount of sauce

• added a bit of garlic to the marinade

• doubled all the spices except the salt

• used 1/2 tsp of salt, but felt it could have used a bit more. I actually added a bit from the shaker after my first taste, which I rarely feel the need to do.

• opted for whole wheat flour

• skipped the sugar. I thought about adding just a bit to balance the lemon, but I was afraid of having too much sweetness, so I left it out entirely. It was rather tart, but that is what both I and Mr. Karchita prefer.

• it was done after 30 minutes

Thanks, Silvergirl. This one's a keeper!

02-17-11, 12:08 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Lemon Chicken just out of the oven ..."

I'm glad you like it, Karchita! I had never thought about leaving the sugar out, but I might try halving it the next time I make this.

CTgirl 6367 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-11, 09:44 AM (EST)
6. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
I am making this tonight and am so glad that when I read Karhcita's post, I noticed "marinade." I am famous for going to make something and not realizing that it needs to marinate for a few hours first! I will make the marinade as soon as I get home this afternoon!

02-17-11, 11:24 AM (EST)
7. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
When I make this again, I will probably only marinade it for 30-60 minutes. This time I marinaded for about 3 1/2 hours because that is what the recipe said, even though I had always thought that chicken shouldn't be marinaded that long or it could become tough. And it did come out a bit tough, which I forgot to mention above. When I marinade chicken for other recipes, < 60 minutes seems to add flavor but maintain tenderness. Food for thought.

02-17-11, 12:05 PM (EST)
9. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
You make a good point concerning the marinade. I don't think it takes that long for lemon juice to penetrate chicken breasts (not code, I swear) so I agree that 30 to 60 minutes would be about right.

02-17-11, 03:56 PM (EST)
11. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
Thanks for the tip! I will wait until later - makes the dog happy. She's running circles around me wanting to go out for a walk!

02-17-11, 05:23 PM (EST)
12. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
Good news! I'm not completely off my rocker ... yet. I started to wonder why I had that idea that there was a time limit on marinading chicken, and a quick google yielded this:

Dairy Based Marinades
•You may choose to marinate your chicken in yogurt or a milk-based product. You may choose this method if you plan on adding a bread crumb mixture before cooking. Using a dairy based marinade is one of the best ways to tenderize your meat. This is because you can marinate it for up to 12 hours without worrying about it toughening. Make sure you keep the chicken in its marinade in the refrigerator. Leaving it out on your counter can cause a food-borne illness. You will also need to note that your chicken won't have to cook as long as usual if you have been marinating it the full 12 hours.

Acid-Based Marinades
•Acid-based marinades use vinegar, lemon juice or tomato juice. That means when you make an Italian dressing marinade or a lemon juice marinade for lemon chicken, you will need to keep the marinade times to a minimum. The acid will break down the protein bonds in the chicken. This will cause them to toughen after two hours. If you choose to marinate your chicken with an acid base, you should plan on doing it for 30 minutes to 1 hour before you plan on cooking the chicken. That is enough to flavor the chicken and keep it tender.

Read more: How Long to Marinate Chicken? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5195577_long-marinate-chicken_.html#ixzz1EFlZ3DtU
http://www.ehow.com/way_5195577_long-marinate-chicken_.html

Thanks again, SG. This is really a wonderful recipe and so quick and easy. You said it was a family dinner for you, but I'd surely make it for company.

02-18-11, 12:29 PM (EST)
14. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
I took your advice and marinated for about 30 minutes. This was another winner Silvergirl!! We both loved it - I made 4 cutlets so guess what we're having again tonight?!! I think I will make another batch of marinade and simmer it for a bit to pour over the chicken. Oh, and I did cut the sugar to 2 rounded tablespoons. It was the right amount of sweet and tart for us.

Thanks Silvergirl! Are we going to see the other recipes you mentioned?

Another Tribe Creation

02-19-11, 11:24 PM (EST)
15. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"

I'll have to add the other recipes on Monday. I've been busy because my BIL passed away on Valentine's Day. The funeral was today (Saturday), and it's been busy this week.

02-20-11, 00:06 AM (EST)
16. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
((((hugs)))) So sorry to hear this. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. Peace.

02-20-11, 11:46 AM (EST)
17. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
I'm sorry. I should have kept my big mouth shut!

((hugs)) to you and your family.

02-20-11, 02:33 PM (EST)
19. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
((hugs)) to you. My sympathy to you and your family. Post the rest whenever you get to it.

02-20-11, 11:50 AM (EST)
18. "Meal #3"
The cutlets were really big and we had leftovers from our leftovers. I had given my DH a panini press for Valentine's Day (got the idea from tkit's OTCC recipe!) so he made paninis with the leftover chicken. We had leftover kale too. He sliced the chicken, added the kale, some shredded gouda and a little bit of honey mustard. Yummy!

frodis 4082 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-20-11, 06:38 PM (EST)
20. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
Can't wait to try the lemon chicken! I bought the ingredients today to make it this week!

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

03-04-11, 04:41 PM (EST)
21. "Report"
I just returned from Australia on Wed. night and my mind is frazzled. I decided to make this lemon chicken. I had this silly notion in my head it was lemon STIR FRIED chicken, so didn't carefully read the instructions. I also had a guest at my kitchen counter as I was making this. So before I really read things, I began to chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and put them into the marinade. Mixed together my coating, and went to preheat the oven. At that point, I became confused and just scrapped the oven idea in favor of a more traditional stir fry. Due to the chatter from my guest, I didn't really read much of the rest of the recipe and just went ahead with my stir fry. When done, I realized this wasn't meant to be a stir fry. LOL!

The only changes I made, other than cutting the chicken and using a frying pan, were to add more lemon juice, more brown sugar, some water and broccoli, and serve it over rice. Oh, and red pepper flakes for a little heat.

It was really good!

-A Tribetastic Creation

moonbaby 16140 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-11, 05:32 PM (EST)
22. "*smiles and"
gives weltek a vegemite sandwich*

03-05-11, 04:13 PM (EST)
23. "RE: *smiles and"
Thanks, Moonie with(out) Hat(s). I feel better now.

-A Tribetastic Creation

samboohoo 15927 desperate attention whore postings

03-06-11, 08:35 PM (EST)
24. "RE: OTCC Beef and Broccoli, Fried Chicken, and Lemon Chicken"
LAST EDITED ON 03-06-11 AT 08:37 PM (EST)

I liked this a lot, even though my sauce wasn't really a smooth sauce. I did not know until the last minute that I was out of brown sugar. I simply used regular. I also don't have unbleached flour.

I marinated my chicken for about four hours. It was fine - very tender. I will certainly makeit again.

Thanks!

Oh, and I need a better zest maker.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •