The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Red Wine Gastrique"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

frodis 4082 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-25-11, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Red Wine Gastrique"
LAST EDITED ON 03-26-11 AT 11:26 AM (EST)

Or Pan-Roasted Chicken with Red Wine Gastrique, for those who don't eat fish.

This recipe is from The Minimalist Cooks Dinner by Mark Bittman. I tweaked it a little. This is the first time I made it, so this OTCC is a cook-along with Frodis. It's very, very simple and there are TONS of places to tweak it to your liking.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of sugar
2 cups pinot noir
1 sprig of rosemary + 1 teaspoon of chopped rosemary
4 salmon steaks, 6oz each
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper
a little bit of oil (high-heat, like canola, walnut, etc.)*

* Bittman's recipe doesn't include the oil, he used a non-stick skillet for his fish. I don't have an oven-safe nonstick skillet, so I used stainless steel, and therefore used oil. If you use non-stick, you can go without the oil.

1 saucepan with a thick, heavy bottom. Nonstick is good.
1 skillet/sautee pan

Method:

1. In the saucepan, pour in the sugar and heat over medium heat until the sugar melts and turns brown. Stir as little as possible, just kind of let it melt.

You don't want to sugar to burn, so you want the heat medium and even just on low so that the sugar melts evenly. You want to to get pretty liquidey and dark honey-colored.

Careful. Melted sugar can burn so keep it away from your skin. Don't taste it.

2. When the sugar is melted, turn off the stove and then add the 2 cups of red wine to the melted sugar. Stand back while you do this - it will steam up and bubble up a lot and look a little scary for a moment but then it will calm down. Turn the heat back on to high and stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.

When you add the wine to the melted sugar, the sugar will harden up. (Mark Bittman doesn't mention this part.) It will form sort of a hard crust in the bottom of the pot. Give it a moment, it'll start to melt again. Keep stirring.

When the sugar is all dissolved, add the rosemary sprig to the sauce. Continue to boil and stir occasionally until the sauce is thick and syrupey and is down to about 1/2 cup.

3. Once the sauce is boiling away, pre-heat your oven to 450F.

4. Season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Put a bit of oil in to the sautee pan and heat until screamin' hot. Place the salmon steaks into the sautee pan, and immediately put the pan into the hot oven. Roast for 3 minutes. Remove pan, flip salmon, put it back in the oven for 3 more minutes. Remove from oven and keep warm.

5. When the sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup, turn the heat to low. Remove the rosemary sprig. Add the 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of butter, and season with salt and pepper. Stir gently until the butter is melted.

6. Serve salmon with sauce and garnish with chopped rosemary.

My Notes
I used Merlot. I think it would have been better with pinot noir or something spicier than merlot. Merlot, reduced down by a lot, was a little too grape-jelly-ey.

The salmon probably could've been done entirely on the stove by just putting a lid on the pan.

I served it with asparagus and some leftover brown rice/veggie blend from earlier in the week.

Mr. Fro is not a big fan of cooking fish at home. I made this because he wasn't supposed to be home in time for dinner and was going to grab dinner elsewhere. As it happened, he did make it home so he had one of the pieces of salmon. He pronounced it "pretty good" which is high praise from him for at-home-fish.

I didn't have rosemary so I used dried thyme.

My oven was at 425F because the handles on my pan are only safe up to 425F. I cooked the salmon for 4-5 minutes on each side (instead of 3) because I like my salmon a little more well-done. 3 minutes will get you a medium-rare piece of salmon.

You could easily do this with chicken.

I'm looking forward to OT will dress up this fairly simple sauteed meat & sauce dish. This one is for all of you whose recipes I've shamelessly altered.

Enjoy!

Edited to add note about the oil/non-stick skillet and add the word "sprig" to the rosemary in step 2 (don't add the chopped at this point, just the stalk) and to put in the note about the oven temp I used.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Shout Out to Boo frodis 03-25-11 1
   RE: Shout Out to Boo samboohoo 03-28-11 6
 RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with ... Tummy 03-26-11 2
 RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with ... kingfish 03-26-11 3
 RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with ... qwertypie 03-26-11 4
 Very good ! A taste adventure ... Karchita 03-27-11 5
 YUMM! qwertypie 03-31-11 7
 RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with ... Tummy 04-04-11 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frodis 4082 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-25-11, 11:37 PM (EST)
1. "Shout Out to Boo"
Thank you, Boo, for letting me take your week since I fell off the face of the earth during my own week.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

samboohoo 15927 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-28-11, 09:10 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Shout Out to Boo"
You're welcome.

I might do salmon for the hubby and chicken for me.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Tummy 2869 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-26-11, 09:04 AM (EST)
2. "RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Red Wine Gastrique"
Yay --- pictures!

I'm a big salmon fan, can't wait to try this.

kingfish 12772 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-11, 10:01 AM (EST)
3. "RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Red Wine Gastrique"
That really looks/sounds good. Salmon in wine sauce...yum.

I'm betting the rest of the botle didn't go to waste either.

qwertypie 8638 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-11, 12:14 PM (EST)
4. "RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Red Wine Gastrique"
You? Tweak a recipe? I.AM.SHOCKED!

Karchita 3794 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-27-11, 11:01 PM (EST)
5. "Very good ! A taste adventure ..."
I made this tonight because I had most of the ingredients on hand. I had some salmon in the freezer and a half a bottle of pinot noir and figured I could ad lib the rest. I served it with brown rice and brussels sprouts.

This came out quite tasty. The sauce was thick and almost like a barbeque sauce, but much better (imho) and with a fancy French name. Oooh la la! It complimented the flavor of the salmon well, though I liked it over the rice nearly as much. I love the taste of fresh salmon, but, sadly, that is not what I had available tonight. Personally, I would not put this sauce on delicious fresh fish, but on aged freezer fish, it made a bad thing much better. I thought the brussel sprouts were a perfect accompaniment.

Tweeks:
• I used half the sugar and twice the balsamic vinegar.
• I used a ton of garlic and no rosemary (though I did put some in the rice).
• I added 2 cups of beef broth and then had to thicken it with some corn starch.
• To cook the fish, I preheated the pan with canola oil, put the fish in, covered it, and by the time I remembered to check it, it was done perfectly.

Thanks for a culinary adventure, frofro! I'd like to try it again with chicken next time.

qwertypie 8638 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-11, 03:04 AM (EST)
7. "YUMM!"
Very yummy sauce. The girls want me to make it again, but I think they want to see the sugary alien crust rising from the bubbling wine lava reduction

I think next time I would reduce the sugar and bump up the balsamic vinegar. I wonder how the sauce would taste over pears or vanilla icecream. YUMMMM!

Thanks Fro for the recipe, it was a big hit here.

Tummy 2869 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-04-11, 08:24 PM (EST)
8. "RE: OTCC: Pan-Roasted Salmon with Red Wine Gastrique"
Made! Delish. I reduced the sugar and increased the balsamic. I would keep it this way and definitely do it again. I grilled the salmon as I hate the way it smells when cooking in the oven. Served it with grilled aspargus and yellow squash.

Would like this over chicken too!

I gave two thumbs and Rob gave one, as he's a fish purist - a squeeze of lemon and that's all he likes on his fish. Yuck!

Floating my cares away with Agman - 2011

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •