The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup -- by CTgirl"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

AyaK 8480 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-11, 02:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup -- by CTgirl"
Still one more that dropped into archives while I was loafing.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono ... AyaK 06-20-11 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

AyaK 8480 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-11, 03:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup -- by CTgirl"
URL: http://community.realitytvworld.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/rtvw2/community/dcboard.cgi
Forum: DCForumID6
Thread Number: 36155

Original Message
"OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup"
Posted by CTgirl on 11-08-10 at 05:35 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-10 AT 05:36 PM (EST)
Sorry for the late posting but I’ve been running around like crazy lately. These two recipes are a staple in our house for a quick Sunday night dinner in the winter and I always have everything I need to make it in the house. Add a salad or some fruit and you’re all set. This dinner is also a cross-cultural example of our household. The popover recipe, very similar to Yorkshire Pudding for Starshine, is my mother’s recipe (who is from Boston with English-Irish ancestry) and the soup recipe (ahve-go-lemon-o pronunciation for Tummy!) is my mother-in-law’s (she is first generation Greek and only one of two Greek dishes she cooks!). Avegolemono means egg-lemon.

POPOVERS

2 eggs
1 T. melted butter
1 c. milk
1 cup flour
½ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put a pat of butter in each muffin tin and place in oven. The butter will melt as the oven heats up.

Whisk eggs in mixing bowl. Add melted butter and milk and whisk. Sift flour and salt together and whisk into liquid mixture.

Take muffin tins out of oven (remember to use a potholder!) and roll the melted butter to cover sides of tin. Fill the well-greased tins one-third to one-half full. Bake for 45-50 minutes, prick center and bake for 5-10 minutes longer depending on which size muffin tin you use (medium size or large). They should be very crispy.

These are made using a medium sized tin (1/2 cup size I think, cupcake size). I usually make them in a bigger size and like them bigger. They puff and "pop" more.

Do not open door as popovers are rising to check them. A blast of cold air can deflate popovers. Do not open oven door until it is time to prick them.

Serve warm with lots of butter. Makes 6-9 depending on size tin you use. Do not double the recipe. I haven’t had good luck when I’ve tried.

AVGOLEMONO SOUP

32 oz. chicken broth
2 handfuls noodles, rice or orzo

2 eggs
Juice from 1-1 ½ lemons (or 3 T. realemon juice)

In a largish bowl, whisk the eggs and juice together and set aside. It helps if this mixture is room temperature.

Heat broth, add salt and pepper to taste. When broth is boiling, add pasta or rice and simmer until whatever kind of pasta you are using is done. I used thin egg noodles in this version. Turn heat to lowest setting.

Now comes the tricky part (it’s not really tricky, it just feels that way when you do it for the first time because you need to be ambidextrous!). Put the eggs and lemon near to the broth. I usually put the bowl next to the cooktop, but if you don’t have room you can take the broth off the stove, but both pan and bowl need to be next to each other. In one hand gently whisk the egg mixture; with the other hand slowly pour some hot broth into the mixture. You want to continue to do this so the egg doesn’t curdle (this is not egg drop soup after all!). Continue slowly pouring the broth and whisking together until the egg mixture is warm. Then you can pour the egg-lemon-broth mixture back into the soup pan. Add more pepper and reheat. I usually bring to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes to make sure the egg is cooked. It is okay if you get a few strands of curdled egg white but that is not the taste or look you are going for. Serves 4.

Here is DH posing as my Vanna White of the kitchen. When I took over I switched to a soup ladle to pour the broth into the bowl.

The finished product: Notice that this popover is not too puffy because I broke my own rule and opened the door too soon to prick them (I was experimenting!)

It is snowing/hailing/raining here today. If I hadn’t made this last night, I’d be making it tonight for dinner. Enjoy!

Table of contents
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 05:42 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 06:33 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Starshine, 06:25 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 06:32 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,qwertypie, 12:15 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 06:16 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Starshine, 05:43 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 06:18 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,qwertypie, 11:02 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,qwertypie, 06:45 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,qwertypie, 00:24 AM, 11-09-10
*unbuttons jeans*,weltek, 09:27 PM, 11-08-10
RE: *unbuttons jeans*,CTgirl, 09:59 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Karchita, 10:20 PM, 11-08-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 03:06 AM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 09:56 AM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,PepeLePew13, 12:55 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Starshine, 01:03 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 01:35 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 02:37 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,PepeLePew13, 06:53 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 09:53 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,agman, 05:54 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Snidget, 07:41 AM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 09:54 AM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Snidget, 11:33 AM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 02:38 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,jbug, 12:10 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 02:39 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,jbug, 03:43 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,frodis, 03:58 PM, 11-09-10
wow!,jbug, 04:03 PM, 11-09-10
RE: wow!,frodis, 04:12 PM, 11-09-10
I'm trying this! ,jbug, 05:03 PM, 11-09-10
RE: I'm trying this! ,frodis, 05:42 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Seana, 01:16 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Max Headroom, 02:43 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 06:23 PM, 11-10-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,frodis, 05:03 PM, 11-09-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Silvergirl1, 00:37 AM, 11-10-10
Popover Report,Karchita, 05:20 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,CTgirl, 06:28 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,Karchita, 06:51 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,Tummy, 07:33 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,Karchita, 07:44 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,CTgirl, 09:14 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,Karchita, 10:40 PM, 11-10-10
RE: Popover Report,samboohoo, 09:45 AM, 11-11-10
RE: Popover Report,Karchita, 03:20 PM, 11-11-10
Soup for me!,weltek, 01:36 PM, 11-11-10
Big Hit Here!,qwertypie, 10:01 PM, 11-13-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Karchita, 11:18 PM, 11-13-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Karchita, 02:29 PM, 11-15-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 03:46 PM, 11-16-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,weltek, 03:48 PM, 11-16-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 07:17 PM, 11-15-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Starshine, 03:50 PM, 11-16-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 05:00 PM, 11-16-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,CTgirl, 05:33 PM, 11-16-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Tummy, 05:41 PM, 11-16-10
Pumpkin Butter,CTgirl, 12:43 PM, 11-26-10
Wonderful!,frodis, 12:16 PM, 11-19-10
uh oh,jbug, 10:06 PM, 11-27-10
RE: uh oh,Karchita, 03:49 PM, 12-01-10
happy dance happy dance,jbug, 04:06 PM, 12-01-10
RE: happy dance happy dance,weltek, 04:26 PM, 12-01-10
RE: happy dance happy dance,Karchita, 05:00 PM, 12-01-10
RE: happy dance happy dance,jbug, 05:38 PM, 12-01-10
RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup,Snidget, 06:05 PM, 12-01-10
Messages in this discussion
"RE: OTCC – Popovers and Avgolemono Soup"
Posted by Tummy on 11-08-10 at 05:42 PM
Yay, and thanks CT! I want you to know I laughed at "(ahve-go-lemon-o pronunciation for Tummy!)" because I was thinking that I'll have to google to figure out how to pronounce it. You know me too well!
This looks like a perfect fall/winter dinner! Can't wait.
And those are amazing pics.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-08-10 at 06:33 PM
Thanks. Since I celebrated a "milestone" birthday this summer, I asked for and got a SLR digital camera. I wish I wasn't so rushed and I could have spent more time with the photos. I'm looking forward to Tkit returning to OTCC so I can pick up some pointers from her!
Posted by Starshine on 11-08-10 at 06:25 PM
Yay! Yorkshire Puddings!
And a new recipe for one of my favourite soups

Never tried the puddings outside of a roast meal (and my Bother lvoes them so we had them with every Sunday lunch) so looking forward to a new experience.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-08-10 at 06:32 PM
I'd love to have your recipe/experiences for Yorkshire Pudding. I've never had it or made it and I love a good roast in the winter!
Also I forgot to mention you can add cooked, shredded chicken to the soup too to make it a little heartier.

Posted by qwertypie on 11-10-10 at 12:15 PM
That would be added after everything else is done?
Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-10 at 06:16 PM
MIL said to add it when you're cooking the pasta but I think you could add it any time, it just has to be in long enough to get heated.
Posted by Starshine on 11-10-10 at 05:43 PM
My Mother tells me that she uses St. Delias' recipe

3 oz (75 g) plain flour
1 egg
3 fl oz (75 ml) milk
2 fl oz (55 ml) water
2 tablespoons beef dripping
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Make up the batter by sifting the flour into a bowl and making a well in the centre. Break the egg into it and beat, gradually incorporating the flour, and then beat in the milk, 2 fl oz (50 ml) water and seasoning (an electric hand whisk will do this in seconds). There is no need to leave the batter to stand, so make it when you're ready to cook the pudding. About 15 minutes before the beef is due to come out of the oven, increase the heat to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C), add the dripping to the roasting tin and place that on a baking sheet on a free shelf. After 15 minutes remove the meat, then place the tin over direct heat while you pour the batter into the sizzling hot fat. Return the tin to the baking sheet on the highest shelf (or, if you have roast potatoes on that one, the second highest). The pudding will take 25-30 minutes to rise and become crisp and golden. Serve as soon as possible: if it has to wait around too long it loses its crunchiness.

If you are cooking roast meat then the old tradition is to start a bit earlier, and remove the meat from the baking tray, use the dripping from that tray, put the meat back and let any goodness drip into the pudding.

My Mother normally makes these in smaller popover tins so that we all got one each!

God bless Delia Smith

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-10 at 06:18 PM
Thanks Starshine. I will try that next time I cook a roast!
Posted by qwertypie on 11-10-10 at 11:02 PM
Me too. My dear sweet father-in-law used to make yorkshire pudding often (roast or not).
Posted by qwertypie on 11-08-10 at 06:45 PM
Oh yummy looking! We have a (mild) cold front coming in tomorrow or the next day, so this will be perfect.
Posted by qwertypie on 11-09-10 at 00:24 AM
As long as I can keep the lemons away from someone who tends to eat them peel and all.
"*unbuttons jeans*"
Posted by weltek on 11-08-10 at 09:27 PM
Unfortunately, when I make a pan of popovers, the whole pan almost gets eaten. A little cinnamon honey butter and we're in heaven. Nolay will thank you because he complains I don't make these enough!
I will definitely make these later in the week, as I just made noodles tonight and have leftovers!

-A Tribetastic Creation

"RE: *unbuttons jeans*"
Posted by CTgirl on 11-08-10 at 09:59 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-08-10 AT 10:00 PM (EST)
I hear you on eating the entire pan. There's only two of us home right now and I made them on Friday night and again last night because I needed to photograph them.

ETA: That reminds me. I'll go email you the recipes right now.

Posted by Karchita on 11-08-10 at 10:20 PM
Oh, yum! These are a few of my favorite things.
I make popovers every now and then, which is not nearly often enough for Mr. Karchita. And I have always loved avgolemono soup, but never knew how to say it and only tried to make it once, long ago, with not such great results. It's definitely time to try again.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 11-09-10 at 03:06 AM
Btw - Mr CTgirl has nice hands.
and I may or may not be hopped up on cold medicine during the making of this post

Posted by CTgirl on 11-09-10 at 09:56 AM
LOL! I noticed that they photographed well too! And yes they are nice hands.
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 11-09-10 at 12:55 PM
It's funny, at first I looked at the picture and thought, "CT has man-hands?!?" and then went back and re-read the text above the picture.
A Seinfeld moment for me...

The recipe looks awesome and I look forward to trying them. Are you sure it isn't pronounced 'av-go-le-mono?

Posted by Starshine on 11-09-10 at 01:03 PM
I've always thought of it as Aveg-lo-mono myself. (never heard anyone actually say it though)
Posted by Tummy on 11-09-10 at 01:35 PM
Every site I found that wasn't in Greek pretty much agreed with CT. Most said "we don't know how to pronounce it we just say chicken and lemon soup."
Posted by CTgirl on 11-09-10 at 02:37 PM
Pepe, I'm not sure how you're pronouncing "av." I just made up the "ahve" sound-out because the a is an "ah" sound. The pronunciation I use comes from a Greek family. I don't know much about spelling with proper phonetics!
Posted by PepeLePew13 on 11-09-10 at 06:53 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-13-10 AT 11:25 PM (EST)
Heh, really it was more my (lame-o) attempt at some humour with the way I broke it up as 'av go' le (have got the) mono".

Yeah, thought so, too... too lame.

Posted by Tummy on 11-09-10 at 09:53 PM
*groan

Posted by agman on 11-10-10 at 05:54 PM

Posted by Snidget on 11-09-10 at 07:41 AM
Uh oh,
Maybe this recipe will work better.

For some reason every time I've tried to make popovers in this oven I get hockey pucks that won't rise. Hot pan, hot oil, nothing seems to work.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-09-10 at 09:54 AM
Don't open the door too soon? That's the only time mine haven't "popped."
Posted by Snidget on 11-09-10 at 11:33 AM
I wonder if I don't have the temperature right. Mom always had the lack of popping hockey puck issue when she got a new oven until she fiddled with it a bit.
I might have to spend a day and do few batches.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-09-10 at 02:38 PM
I'm still perfecting the time and temperature. As I remember my mother's popovers growing up, they were better than mine are now, I think it's because she used crisco!!
Posted by jbug on 11-09-10 at 12:10 PM
I have never made popovers
but I might try this!
self-rising flour?

Posted by CTgirl on 11-09-10 at 02:39 PM
No, all-purpose flour.
Posted by jbug on 11-09-10 at 03:43 PM
so what makes them rise?
jbug = ignorant cook....

Posted by frodis on 11-09-10 at 03:58 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-10 AT 03:59 PM (EST)
Steam.

That's why opening the oven is a bad idea and reduces the "puff". The liquid in the batter heats and turns to steam which is kind of like blowing up a balloon (where the balloon is the flour/egg/milk mixture.)

So the hot oven, hot pan, and keeping the door closed encourage more steam, and therefore more "pop".

If you put pancake batter into a hot pan in the oven, it'll puff too, like the German pancakes and dutch baby pancakes that lots of pancake houses serve. It's just normal batter, the steam does all of the work.
"wow!"
Posted by jbug on 11-09-10 at 04:03 PM
and so you puncture it to let the steam out?
What would happen if you didn't poke it?

"RE: wow!"
Posted by frodis on 11-09-10 at 04:12 PM
If you didn't poke them they'd probably just deflate a little as they cool, and the steam would condense and be trapped inside, which could make the innards a little soggy. Poking them keeps them crisp.
They'd still be edible and taste good, but they wouldn't have that wonderful blistery crunchiness. They'd be more chewy on the inside.

"I'm trying this! "
Posted by jbug on 11-09-10 at 05:03 PM
I just realized these don't even have sugar!!!!
I know about flour & diabetes & stuff, but
would these be okay for a diabetic?

"RE: I'm trying this! "
Posted by frodis on 11-09-10 at 05:42 PM
I really don't know enough about the dietary restrictions for diabetics so I don't really want to say, yes, they're okay or no, they're not.
But you might be able to compare this to the ingredients in something that your diabetic does eat (waffles, for example.) If that's okay, then you're probably okay here, since these don't have any sugar at all.

These are so versatile - they're not sweet, so they're wonderful with savory things like soup, stews, and meats. Or you can sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar or eat them with something sweet like honey butter (a la Weltek) or jam.

I hope you do try these, JBug, and report back!

Posted by Seana on 11-09-10 at 01:16 PM
This looks great, CT!
Can't wait to try it. I've looked at the popover recipe in my cookbook for years and never made it.

Posted by Max Headroom on 11-09-10 at 02:43 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-09-10 AT 02:43 PM (EST)
I'm not much of a cook, but those look really good. I'll be in New York next month-- can I stop by and pick some up?

I'm going to the Utica area, which qualifies as "upstate" according to grit.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-10 at 06:23 PM
I got all excited and thought, "peep meet time!" Then I read the fine print...Utica. Boo!
And as Karchita notes below, popovers don't travel last well!

Posted by frodis on 11-09-10 at 05:03 PM
I'm way behind on OTCC. *sigh*
I am very excited to try this. I always get Avgolemono in Greek restaurants (although I never had any clue what it was called, I always just ask for "the soup") and I thought it was just cream of chicken soup with some lemon juice in it. Now I know why I could never re-create it! I'd have never, ever guessed that there wasn't any dairy in it at all.

I love learning new things from OTCC!

Very excited about the popovers, too. Since I'm on a baking-my-own bread and pastry kick right now this couldn't come at a better time.

Thanks, CTgirl!

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

Posted by Silvergirl1 on 11-10-10 at 00:37 AM

Mmmmm, looks good!
We have a diner here in my town that serves chicken rice soup with lemon and it's run by Greeks. I love that soup, so I will definitely try this.

Silvergirl original 2010

"Popover Report"
Posted by Karchita on 11-10-10 at 05:20 PM
I made these popovers last night and they were absolutely wonderful. I do make them from time to time, but I had not had such good results lately due to certain key details having slipped my mind. I'm afraid I have developed a case of CRS (Can't Remember Shi ... um, Stuff).
A warning about popovers. You have to follow the recipe exactly. The details make all the difference. In eighth grade home ec class, we had to make popovers because if we didn't, it would be completely obvious because what you get are soggy, inedible dough blobs instead of delightful and delicious yummies. Crafty old Mrs. Erbauch would know we did something wrong, and there would be no argument about our grade.

So be careful! The recipe is deceptively simple, but you have to follow it exactly. Make sure you preheat the tins, don't open the oven, don't overstir the dough, don't overfill the tins, etc. I'd also add to be sure the eggs are at room temperature, and to let the butter (or shortening) cool before you add it or add it in litte dribbles with lots of stirring if it's hot.

Your recipe is quite a bit different from the one I had been using in Joy of Cooking, and I think yours is better. I followed it except I used Crisco instead of butter. I wanted them nice and crisp and they were! Mr. Karchita and I ate the whole batch. Yum.

One last thing about popovers is that you have to eat them right away. They decline after just 15 minutes out of the oven and after an hour or two, you may not even want to eat them.
Thanks, CT, for a great recipe. I'll be trying the soup soon.

Bouquet by c2p

"RE: Popover Report"
Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-10 at 06:28 PM
Yay! Glad you liked them and thanks for the added tips and warnings.
I was surprised that you of all people would use Crisco so I went and googled Crisco and discovered that they reformulated it and got rid of transfat in it (3 years ago).
Woo hoo - now I have to make them again with crisco!

Posted by Karchita on 11-10-10 at 06:51 PM
Me, of all people! lol.
Hey, a tablespoon of anything isn't going to hurt anyone.

Right???

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Tummy on 11-10-10 at 07:33 PM
I'm going to have to go buy a new tin of Crisco as I think the one sitting on the shelf is probably older than 3. *grin
Thanks for the extra tips Karchita.

Soup and pop-overs are on the menu for tomorrow night.

Posted by Karchita on 11-10-10 at 07:44 PM
Crisco definitely can go funky, especailly at room temperature. I always keep it on hand and use it for greasing pans and a few other things, and I do think in some cases it makes better cookies than butter. However, I use it so rarely that I now keep it in the fridge so it lasts forever.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by CTgirl on 11-10-10 at 09:14 PM
Well if you guys are going to use crisco, I think it coats the muffin tins better than butter even when melted!
I have made lots of popovers over the years and I am still experimenting!

Posted by Karchita on 11-10-10 at 10:40 PM
IMHO, Crisco is much better than butter, Pam, or anything else for greasing pans.
Posted by samboohoo on 11-11-10 at 09:45 AM
I made some Peanut Blossoms once with butter flavored Crisco that I guess had gone bad. They were horrible. It wasn't even that old, but I think once you open the stick, you need to use it within a certain amount of time.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

Posted by Karchita on 11-11-10 at 03:20 PM
Peanut Blossums? Butter flavored Crisco? Sticks of Crisco? Peanut Blossums?
These are all things I have never heard of. Pleaes do tell.

What planet did you say you were from again?

"Soup for me!"
Posted by weltek on 11-11-10 at 01:36 PM
I'm working at home today and thought it was a good opportunity to make the soup. I happen to be smoking chicken wings (for freezing) and a whole chicken (for dinner) this afternoon, so used the wing tips and chicken neck to make homemade broth. We'll have the popovers for dinner tonight.
The soup was easy and tasty! Refreshing and comforting at the same time. This would make a great "appetizer" soup for a nice dinner. Wish I had some fresh lemon zest and herbs to pretty this up, but the fridge is bare!

-A Tribetastic Creation

"Big Hit Here!"
Posted by qwertypie on 11-13-10 at 10:01 PM
Well, the popovers didn't quite rise as much as the pictures (maybe my oven runs hot?) but the hoarde didn't seem to mind as they used the slightly dense popovers to scoop up the soup.
Littlest DD didn't want to try the soup (her loss, totally) because I made the mistake of saying there was egg in it. She thought that was totally weird. She filled up on popovers.

DH wants the soup recipe doubled, I am not sure how easy that would be. Maybe I'll wait until the kids aren't around and the serves 4 would be just enough for both of us.

Posted by Karchita on 11-13-10 at 11:18 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-14-10 AT 00:31 AM (EST)
OMG, this was delicious. Avgolemono soup has always been a restaurant treat for me, and this came out restaurant quality, even better than some I have been served. Five stars! Absolutely yummy.

I doubled the recipe ‘cause leftovers are a way of life around here. For broth I used “Better than Bouillon”, which I recently started using and really like. I used rice and added a diced chicken breast and about 1/2 cup each of finely diced celery, carrots and onion. (ETA: These amounts are doubled.) I didn’t have any lemons on hand, so I had to use bottled lemon juice, but I also tossed in some minced preserved lemons. (A recent experiment that I am very pleased with: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Style-Preserved-Lemons-238422 ).

I did the add-the-broth-to-the-egg bit with my right hand stirring and my left hand pouring. That’s opposite from the way the man hands in the picture are doing it. I used a measuring cup with about a 2-3” handle that was easier to maneuver than a ladle with a longer handle. It worked perfectly and I didn’t notice any lumps or bits of white.

I was concerned that DH wouldn’t like the soup, as he has said so when I have ordered it in restaurants. He also much prefers thicker soups, so while it seemed fine to me, I added a bit of corn starch to thicken it up. He loved it and doesn’t recall ever saying he didn’t. I think maybe he had never tried it. Anyhow, this was a definite winner here. Thank you so much, CT.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by Karchita on 11-15-10 at 02:29 PM
The leftovers were great, too. This time I remembered to garnish with a bit of fresh parsley, a nice addition.
When doubled, it made five very large, entree-sized portions for us. Now I only have one left and an seriously thinking of making another batch. I lvoe this recipe.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by CTgirl on 11-16-10 at 03:46 PM
Glad you liked it! I was wracking my brains to think of something different yet easy for my turn at OTCC when I made this a month or so ago - light bulb moment!
To Weltek and Karchita - as I was photographing the soup I thought to myself, oh no, I have no garnishes or anything, lol.

Posted by weltek on 11-16-10 at 03:48 PM
LOL-yeah, you just won't find much for fresh herbs in my kitchen come fall/winter!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Tummy on 11-15-10 at 07:17 PM
I made the popovers and OMG where has this recipe been all my life? I was lazy and just warmed up soup that I had in the freezer and have not made the avgolemono soup yet. But I will!
But the popovers - I made homemade pear butter yesterday. So we had one plain to dip in the soup, one with butter and honey and one with butter and pear butter. Dessert and bread - all in one! I have really large muffin tins so I don't think they puffed as much as they should have and am blaming the muffin tin size. But the texture and flavor were great.

I'm kid-setting Kayla until Saturday so will post pictures hopefully this weekend. May make the soup before I post pics.

Thanks CT!

Posted by Starshine on 11-16-10 at 03:50 PM
OK this is probably a really strange question, but you have mentioned pear butter, and others have mentioned apple butter. I know brandy butter and rum butter, but haven't ever seen fruit butters.
Hast thou a simple recipe for a fruit butter?

Posted by Tummy on 11-16-10 at 05:00 PM
Thou hast many a recipe for fruit butters. And very simple recipes they are.
I do all of these in a crockpot. Makes the house smell wonderful.

Note: I don't peel the pears or apples - I just Ninja the whole things after the cooking. But you may want to for a smoother consistency. I prefer getting the fiber.

Pear Butter -

8 pears, of any variety, peeled, cored, and chopped or sliced
1/4 cup apple juice or cider
1 or 2 cups packed brown sugar - I use 1
the juice of 1 lemons
2 whole star anise
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Peel and core pears. Add everything to crockpot. On low and cook for 6-8 hours. Stir the pears about every hour or two. Pear butter is done when it has a deep color, pears are cooked to pieces, and it has thickened. Do not forget to remove the star of anise cloves before pureeing. You may want to use an immersion blender to puree the butter more.

Apple Butter
this one comes from a Year of Slow Cooking - except I changed the sugar from 3 cups to 2 and upped the vanilla

14 large apples fit in my 6.5 quart crockpot
1/4 cup apple cider or juice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cloves
2 T vanilla

This is a 2-day process. Quarter the apples and take out the core. I did not peel, and picked out the skin later. If you enjoy peeling, or have one of those cool apple tools that peels easily, you should peel.
Although my picking out the skin later idea worked, it was kind of a pain. But (for me) it was easier than peeling all of the apples by hand.

Put all of the quartered apples into your crockpot. Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

When the cooking is done, mash the apples with a fork. Pick out the skin with the fork. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.

Pumpkin Butter - easiest of all to make (but don't can this, doesn't keep well) I make this to use on pancakes.

1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all. Cook in a crock for 6 - 8 hours. Yummy on biscuits, toast or pancakes.

Posted by CTgirl on 11-16-10 at 05:33 PM
Oh no, Starshine, another slow cooker recipe. You're going to be chained to the house!
(Great recipes Tummy, thanks. I've never made anything like that before, and now I will!)

Posted by Tummy on 11-16-10 at 05:41 PM
LAST EDITED ON 11-16-10 AT 05:42 PM (EST)
Lol - I forgot about our English friend having a crockpot phobia. Starshine - you can do them stovetop also. Just increase the liquid by about a cup or two. Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer. You have to stir quite frequently so it doesn't burn on the bottom. Lid on. Then when it's turned to mush remove lid and let the liquid cook off some.

Hope you like it CT. I've reduced the sugar by quite a bit and they're still good.

"Pumpkin Butter"
Posted by CTgirl on 11-26-10 at 12:43 PM
Tummy's Pumpkin Butter recipe (with 1 cup white sugar ) was wonderful and so easy to make. Made it to go on cornbread for Thanksgiving but it would be yummy on any kind of bread. Starshine it only takes 6 hours so make it some evening!
"Wonderful!"
Posted by frodis on 11-19-10 at 12:16 PM
I made the soup and popovers last night. HUGE success!
First off, Mr. Fro is not a fan of soup as a main course, unless it's a really hearty chock-full-o-stuff soup (like, chili.) To my surprise, he LOVED this soup, and thinks we should serve it as part of Christmas Eve dinner! (That's high praise from Mr. Fro!) It is also kid-approved. My son licked his bowl.

Because he doesn't like soup as a main course, I knew that I would have to plan to make this as an accompaniment to something else. Last night I had steaks and sweet potatoes for dinner, so I figured I'd make the popovers to go with the meat and the soup as a starter.

The soup was SO easy! I used my KitchenAide with the whisk attachment to whisk up the egg/lemon. Almost no effort. For the broth, I used water and a scoop of soup base that my dad got for me. I also added some very finely chopped carrots and a bit of dried celery. I have a bottle of white Worceshire sauce, so I threw in a few shakes of that. I used a couple of handsfull of Orzo for the pasta. I was shocked - the soup took about 15 minutes to make and was flavorful, silky and amazing.

The popovers were delicious, too. I used a muffin tin, and the ones in the front of the oven didn't puff as much as the ones in the back did, confirming my long-held suspicion that my oven doesn't heat evenly. They were crispy and delicious and went really well with the steak.

Thank you, CTgirl!

"uh oh"
Posted by jbug on 11-27-10 at 10:06 PM
I made popovers!
So there was enough batter for 12 muffins - filled each half full.
Maybe my muffin tins are smaller than usual - but I thought they are regular cupcake size.

So since it made 12, I decided to bake for 45 min - & prick then. Warned DH NOT to open the oven to peek.
At 45 min I opened the oven to find all muffins already crusty; a couple had fallen a bit in the center but most were just pretty muffins.

Then the first 1 I opened was completely hollow; really tasty tho!
I though they'd all be this way.
but no, the rest had nice bread inside - found 1 with a big hole in it but not completely hollow like the `st one.

I ate 3 with butter real quick!

Then a bit later I ate 2 more with our homemade chili.
Yummy!

Was my oven too hot?
I WILL be making these again, but I want to get to do the pricking part.
What happens when they are pricked & they fall a bit? do they get more dense?

"RE: uh oh"
Posted by Karchita on 12-01-10 at 03:49 PM
Well done, jbug! It sounds like you did everything right. Popovers are mostly air inside and can even be hollow. They are never dense unless you screw up. If you prick them, they will be drier inside. If you don't prick them, the inside may be a bit moist and chewy, especially if you (foolishly) don't eat them hot out of the oven.
As long as they were tasty, all is good.

Bouquet by c2p

"happy dance happy dance"
Posted by jbug on 12-01-10 at 04:06 PM

I even ate a couple later after they got cold;
and?
they were still yummy!

"RE: happy dance happy dance"
Posted by weltek on 12-01-10 at 04:26 PM
Glad our household isn't the only one with a "whole pan" addiction.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Posted by Karchita on 12-01-10 at 05:00 PM
They might have cooked faster because they were smaller. Again, not that you did anything wrong, but if you distributed the batter into 12 tins, there would be a bit less in each tin.
Just a little baking tip ... always set the timer for slightly less than the cooking time that the recipe says. You never know if your oven is a bit hotter, your pan a bit larger, or whatever may make your batch cook faster. In this case, just checking through the oven window after, say, 35 minutes, you might have realized that they were cooking faster than expected, and pricked them then.

Bouquet by c2p

Posted by jbug on 12-01-10 at 05:38 PM
Appreciate the help; I will be making them again - regardless of whether I get to prick them or not
& I knew someone would mention peeking thru the oven door window - my oven doesn't have one

Do you have any idea how hard it was NOT to open that oven for 45 minutes???? Next time, I'll crack & peek at 40 min.

Posted by Snidget on 12-01-10 at 06:05 PM
LAST EDITED ON 12-01-10 AT 06:06 PM (EST)
They are in the oven.

*pace*

Just going to heat up some turkey to go with em, and some veggies.

*checks clock*

*drums fingers*

hope they work better than all my other attempts. They still taste good even if they come out like hockey pucks

ETA swoop block!!!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •