The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-10-10, 06:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I just couldn't resist adding this recipe, as I thought it went great with Weltek's jerk chicken/pork recipe (even though it is 'Thai' inspired) and helped me use up some of the extra ingredients (ie the haberno pepper) I didn't completely use.

The nice thing about this salad is that it uses underripe mangos and since the beauties have to travel a LOOOOOONG way to get up this far north, we usually only have the unripe ones in the supermarket.

Ingredients:
4-6 firm, green (underripe) mangos, any variety (they don't have to be super unripe, but you want them to be easily julienneable)
1/4 - 1/2 cup fine julienne of red pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup fine julienne of carrot
1/4 cup finely sliced wedges of red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1 TBSP soy sauce *
2 TBSP water *
2-3 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice
1-2 tsp sugar
1 small hot green chili, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped***
peanuts (optional)

Serves 6
1. With a sharp knife, take a small slice off the stem ends of the mago. Peel.
2. Carefully cut off several 1/4 ince slices from the fleshy sides of each mango. Cut the flesh of the fruit into a fine julienne. You should have 3-4 cups of fruit.
3. Toss mango with red pepper, carrot, onion, cilantro and mint.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients except peanuts. Stir well to dissolve sugar. (The amount of sugar and lime juice required will depend on the type and ripeness of the mango. You can add additional sugar and lime to taste). Toss the mango mixture with dressing. Refrigerate.

*The recipe originally called for 3 TBSP of fish sauce, but I subbed 1 TBSP soy sauce and 2 TBSP of water instead.
*** I had some left over haberno peppers from Welteks recipe, I only used about 1/5 of one, finely minced. It gave heat, but wasn't painful. Proceed with caution!!!! And wear gloves when mincing.

Picture to follow.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... qwertypie 05-10-10 1
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... CTgirl 05-10-10 2
   RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... foonermints 05-10-10 4
       RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Tummy 05-11-10 5
           RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... foonermints 05-12-10 9
               RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... CTgirl 05-12-10 10
                   RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... foonermints 05-13-10 13
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Seana 05-10-10 3
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Tummy 05-11-10 6
   RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... qwertypie 05-11-10 7
       RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Tummy 05-11-10 8
           RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... weltek 05-17-10 15
               RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Tummy 05-17-10 16
                   RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... weltek 05-18-10 19
                       RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... qwertypie 05-28-10 22
                       RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Tummy 06-02-10 23
   RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... samboohoo 05-13-10 12
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... weltek 05-13-10 11
   RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... weltek 05-17-10 14
       RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... qwertypie 05-17-10 17
           RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Tummy 05-18-10 18
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... Seana 05-20-10 20
 RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MAN... weltek 05-21-10 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-10-10, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"

As you can see here, I forgot to put in the onions. Mr. Qwerty was so sad , but we were already half way to our potluck party. It was still pretty fantastic (and it was a good test run for a party I'm going to bring it later this month where the hostess has onion allergies.)

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-10, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Mango? red pepper? cilantro? mint? lime? What's not to love? These are some of my favorite flavors.

This sounds yummy Qwerty!

Cappy's Springtime

foonermints 8868 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-10, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
»Mango? red pepper? cilantro? mint? lime? What's not to love?«

That's what I've been telling people all along.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Tummy 1988 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-10, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
And we keep agreeing with you!

05-12-10, 01:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
*foonersmooch*

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-10, 06:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Did fooner say mint?! Mojitos coming right up!

05-13-10, 11:39 PM (EST)
13. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
CT Girl Chupacabra habla: ¡Adoro las bebidas verdes que se parecen a mí!

Seana 5017 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-10, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Oooo...that looks good. I'll have to pick up some mangoes when I go shopping this week. I guess I'll need cilantro, too, but I have everything else.

Wheel of tribe

05-11-10, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
That looks good. It looks like it would be good minced up as a salsa and used as a dip for some sweet potato chips too. I'm hungry!

05-11-10, 11:29 AM (EST)
7. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
SALSA!!!! *smacks forehead*

Tummy is wicked smart!
I'm am still trying to get the hang of thinking outside the box when it comes to recipes.

05-11-10, 11:43 AM (EST)
8. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I'm am still trying to get the hang of thinking outside the box when it comes to recipes.

Lol - my mom says the same thing. That she doesn't think outside the box.

For this past weekend's get together I decided to do strawberry shortcake. But instead of serving it over those little sponge cakes I sliced homemade Angelfood cake and then put butter, cinnamon and sugar and toasted the slices. Then I topped it with the strawberries and whipped cream. My mother said she felt like she was eating at a fancy restaraunt and would have never thought of toasting the cake. Yes, we're red-necks.

weltek 16003 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-10, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Mmm, good idea to top with cinnamon and sugar. I have a recipe for chocolate "soup" with angel food croutons. Mmm.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-17-10, 05:44 PM (EST)
16. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I think a threadjack is appropriate right now. And who doesn't need a recipe for chocolate soup in their recipe box!

05-18-10, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
http://www.channel3000.com/food/5569301/detail.html

Liquid Chocolate With Angel Food Croutons
2 cups - 4 servings

This warm dessert soup was inspired by the almost-pudding-thick hot chocolate that my son and I enjoyed in Spain. Prepare this as a special treat for your favorite chocolate-lover. Add coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua) for the adults.

For the croutons

2 cups angel food cake cut into ½-inch cubes

For the soup

2 cups milk (preferably whole or 2 percent), divided
3 ounces coarsely chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate (see Tip)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup coffee-flavored liqueur (such as Kahlua), optional
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Scant pinch of ground cinnamon, or to taste
Pinch of salt, or to taste

To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the cake cubes in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast for about 4 minutes, turning once, or until the croutons are crispy and lightly browned on all sides but soft on the inside. (They will become firmer as they cool.)

To make the soup, stir 1 ¾ cup of the milk and the chocolate together in the top pan of a double boiler (see Tips) over simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

Stir together the remaining milk and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Add to the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly as it becomes glossy and smooth and thickens to cake-batter consistency, about 3 minutes.

Add the liqueur (if using), butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt; stir until the butter melts. Taste and adjust the flavoring.

Serve the soup warm topped with the croutons.

Advance preparation
This soup will keep for up to 3 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. To reheat, stir gently over medium heat. Store the croutons for up to 2 days in a tightly covered tin at room temperature.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-28-10, 06:38 PM (EST)
22. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Now this is my kind of soup! I think I will have to experiment with kahlua, Baileys, Grand marnier, etc.

06-02-10, 09:17 AM (EST)
23. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I just saw that you posted this. Thanks! I think I may have to make this.

samboohoo 15170 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-10, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I am totally craving sweet potato chips/fries right now.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

05-13-10, 10:07 AM (EST)
11. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Making this on Monday for a potluck!

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-17-10, 04:57 PM (EST)
14. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I had three people request this recipe today!

I should've used more cilantro, since I axed the mint (personal hatred for mint), but otherwise it was great. If you hate cilantro, I think basil would also be good. I used a little soy and a little fish sauce in the dressing.

It was very time consuming to chop the mangos, so beware!

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-17-10, 09:53 PM (EST)
17. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I don't know much about mandolins, but I am looking into getting one if it will help with this recipe

05-18-10, 08:36 AM (EST)
18. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
I use my mandolin all the time. I love it. But those Top Chef Masters chefs scare the beejeezus out of me. I would never use it without the little produce holder thingamajig.

If you get one don't put it in the dishwasher, the high heat dulls the blades.

Seana 5017 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-10, 10:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
Oh, this was so nice. Cool and refreshing and it went well with the pork we had for dinner that night.

It reminds me of the pineapple-mango salsa that I like so much. *waves to Tummy*

Pineapple-Mango Salsa
(Amounts uncertain - I only make enough for myself for one meal. Ingredients listed in order of how much of each there is.)

pineapple, chopped up into fairly small pieces. Do use fresh.
mango, chopped up into fairly small pieces as well.
red onion, finely chopped
bell pepper (green, red, yellow, orange, whatever), finely chopped
parsley, chopped
hot pepper, finely chopped
lime juice
red wine vinegar

Toss all ingredients together. The pineapple and mango add enough sweetness to balance the lime and vinegar. Great on BBQ'd chicken or pork.

05-21-10, 11:31 AM (EST)
21. "RE: OTCC Exta Credit Dish GREEN MANGO SALAD"
The leftovers were great as a salad (tossed with chopped romaine), by the way. I put a little vinegar in and tossed it up!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •