The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

weltek 16003 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-29-10, 08:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
True Jamaican Jerk would generally be whole chickens, split, whacked good, and smoked over pimento (allspice) wood. So if you have a smoker, go for it. If you don’t even have a grill (*coughfrodiscough*), try it in the oven. You’ll need the marinade to caramelize, so make sure if you slow roast it in the oven, the good crust is formed (i.e., don’t hide it under foil the whole time).

You can adjust the heat to your liking. The habaneros at the store were rather disgusting looking, so I used our homemade habanero hot sauce from last summer. In a pinch, you can use any hot sauce or hot pepper, but habaneros have a little inherent sweetness that will improve your marinade. Two habaneros will give you a very spicy marinade, but it doesn’t come through as a really hot burn in the final product. If you like really spicy foods, put in two habaneros. If you are more timid, try just one small one. AND FOR COD’S SAKE, WEAR GLOVES WHEN CUTTING HOT PEPPERS!!! Cannot even close to stand heat? Leave them out and put a little more black pepper in.

Now, the meat. I like pork roasts (the really marbled cheap ones are great!) and dark chicken best for this, even though I’m more of a white meat girl. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are next on my lists. I tried bone-in breasts for this and they were just too meaty to really pick up the seasoning well. If you don’t eat the skin on chicken, remove it before cooking, as you’ll really want the yummy caramelized marinade to remain part of your meal.

Again, Qwerty’s sweet potato fries, Seana’s coleslaw or Arkie’s calabacitas would make a great side dish. Dishes with sweet potatoes, rice and/or black beans, and even grilled pineapple are also delish! The side you’ll see here is simple grilled onions, peppers, and corn, tossed with brown rice, cilantro, salt and orange juice.

Caribbean Jerk Pork

Prep time: about 15 minutes
Marinade time: at least one hour, overnight is better for pork
Cooking time: about 30 minutes

1 bunch scallions/green onions (about five stalks), both ends removed and discarded, chopped into 2” sections
2 ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 ½ tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. black pepper
2 habaneros, coarsely chopped (REMINDER: Wear gloves)
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil (olive can be used in a pinch)
2 Tbsp. white or apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 pork roast, any size (ok, if you get one that serves eight or more, you’ll need more marinade!)

1. Place all ingredients except pork in a blender. Blend on high until smooth (about 15 seconds). Set aside while you prepare pork.

2. If you have a pork roast, you’ll want to flatten it out to allow more surface area. The easiest way to do this is to cut it in half horizontally, but don’t cut all the way through. Stop about one inch before your knife goes all the way through.
Spread the meat open into one big, flat piece.

Pound to an even thickness (i.e., get out the bumps). Use a fork, spiked tenderizer, etc. to pierce the pork throughout.

3. Place pork in a re-sealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over pork. Shake around the bag and rub the marinade into the pork. Place in fridge at least one hour. With pork, especially, the longer the better. Ideally, do this all the day before. For chicken, be careful as the citrus may toughen the meat if it sits more than a few hours.

4. Remove pork from fridge at least fifteen minutes before grilling. Prepare grill by spraying cooking spray on grates or coating with oil and then heat to approximately 350 degrees (generally this means a lower heat).

5. Remove meat from marinade (OPTIONAL: Reserve a little marinade, boil on the stove with some orange juice for a finishing sauce) and place meat on the grill. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until pork reaches approximately 155 degrees and there’s good caramelization on the outside of the meat. Remove from grill and let rest for a few minutes (in foil is best, to keep the meat moist).

6. Slice pork and serve, Mon.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... qwertypie 04-30-10 1
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... foonermints 04-30-10 2
   You... Capn2patch 05-01-10 17
       Why? foonermints 05-01-10 21
           RE: Why? Capn2patch 05-01-10 22
               RE: Why? foonermints 05-01-10 23
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Tummy 04-30-10 3
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... frodis 04-30-10 4
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 04-30-10 5
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... frodis 04-30-10 6
           RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 04-30-10 8
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Seana 04-30-10 7
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Snidget 04-30-10 9
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 04-30-10 10
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... frodis 04-30-10 11
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Snidget 05-05-10 47
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... thndrkttn 04-30-10 12
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Tummy 05-01-10 19
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... ARnutz 05-01-10 24
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Tummy 05-02-10 25
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... MKitty 05-03-10 37
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... qwertypie 04-30-10 13
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... I maroonclown 04-30-10 14
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 04-30-10 15
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... qwertypie 05-01-10 16
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... CTgirl 05-01-10 20
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Tummy 05-01-10 18
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... I maroonclown 05-02-10 26
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... J Slice 05-02-10 27
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Tummy 05-02-10 28
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Seana 05-02-10 29
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... I maroonclown 05-02-10 30
           RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Seana 05-02-10 31
 Team Canada checks in weltek 05-02-10 32
   RE: Team Canada checks in CTgirl 05-02-10 33
       RE: Team Canada checks in weltek 05-03-10 34
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... frodis 05-03-10 35
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 05-03-10 36
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... frodis 05-03-10 38
           RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 05-04-10 41
 Big Hit Here! qwertypie 05-04-10 39
   RE: Big Hit Here! Seana 05-04-10 40
   RE: Big Hit Here! weltek 05-04-10 42
 Ribs frodis 05-04-10 43
   RE: Ribs weltek 05-04-10 44
       RE: Ribs Tummy 05-04-10 45
           RE: Ribs Tummy 05-06-10 48
               RE: Ribs Maroonclown 05-06-10 49
                   RE: Ribs weltek 05-06-10 50
                       RE: Ribs Tummy 05-09-10 55
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... CTgirl 05-05-10 46
   RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 05-06-10 51
       RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Maroonclown 05-06-10 52
           RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... weltek 05-07-10 53
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Snidget 05-09-10 54
 Jerk Chicken thndrkttn 05-10-10 56
   RE: Jerk Chicken Tummy 05-10-10 57
   RE: Jerk Chicken weltek 05-10-10 59
   Pics- thndrkttn 05-11-10 61
       RE: Pics- Tummy 05-11-10 62
           RE: Pics- thndrkttn 05-11-10 63
 Pics Tummy 05-10-10 58
   RE: Pics weltek 05-10-10 60
 RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or c... Starshine 05-13-10 64

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-10, 00:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Can't wait to try this. Mr. Qwerty often brings home pork roasts and I always stess over what to do with it.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

foonermints 8868 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-10, 00:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
This looks great. We'll have to try it this weekend.

The roast reminds me of something, I just can't place it.

Capn2patch 2730 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-01-10, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "You..."
... are nasty, nasty, nasty.

05-01-10, 06:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Why?"
I like pork.

Capn2patch 2730 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-01-10, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Why?"
Your broken english doesn't fool me.

05-01-10, 07:47 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Why?"
So arrest me. What is this, Arizona?

Tummy 1988 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-30-10, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Ja maican me mouth water, mon!

frodis 3796 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-30-10, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
I was at the grocery store yesterday and they had racks of pork back ribs on sale, buy one get one free. So, I have two racks of ribs in my freezer at the moment. I might just try this on ribs.

And *coughyesIdon'thaveagrillyetcough* I successfully negotiated buying the CSA share so I think I'll have to save the grill for another time.

04-30-10, 09:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Yes! I vote you try this on ribs and tell us how they turn out.

I'm continuing to call you out every year on the grill until you get one.

-A Tribetastic Creation

04-30-10, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
It's funny because we have a big master list of things we need for the house, either items to purchase or repairs/projects that need to be done. They're ranked by importance (low/medium/high) and job size/cost (small/medium/large). Grill has been near the top of the list for a while (small cost/low importance) but it keeps getting bumped. Last summer, for example, it got bumped for a new fridge.

I actually think that the reason Mr. Fro is so reluctant to buy a grill is because it would force us to spend time outside on the back patio. The back patio is ugly and is on the list of large, costly projects that we want/need to do. He gets all bummey about things like that. I bought a new shower curtain and rug for the upstairs bathroom and he got depressed because it just reminded him how much he hates the bathroom floor tile. I can't win.

04-30-10, 10:37 AM (EST)
8. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
I can totally see the logic. So ideally, the grill would get purchased with the large patio remodel. Fair enough, but I still think you should get a small charcoal grill in the meantime. Maybe you could score one on craigslist.

-A Tribetastic Creation

Seana 5017 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-10, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Cool! DH says he will eat this if I make it. I actually have all the ingredients except the habaneros, but he's on afternoons this week, so it will have to wait until Sunday, I think.

I usually buy jerk sauce in a bottle, but it's not something we eat all the time, so then the sauce sits around for ages. It will be nice to have a recipe for fresh.

Snidget 35571 desperate attention whore postings

04-30-10, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Am I the only one scared by Haberno pepper.

How hot does one of them in the marinade make things. I like a little heat (and I've been fine with jerk chicken I've had in a restaurant) but I'm going Eeek over this. I do understand different peppers have different underflavors and that the haberno is usually used ripe is going to be different than green chilis and stuff.

*trying to trust Weltek won't lead me over the edge*

If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity. - Bill Vaughan

04-30-10, 11:35 AM (EST)
10. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
One will barely make it hot at all (IMHO, but I have a high tolerance for spicy), so you'll be fine. In the finished product, not a ton of heat comes through. Now, if you use some of the marinade with OJ as a finishing sauce, just taste a tiny bit before making the decision to slather it on.

-A Tribetastic Creation

04-30-10, 12:00 PM (EST)
11. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Habaneros are one of the few things I've successfully grown in my "garden" (a bunch of pots on the patio.) Because they were so prolific I used them a lot (along with the equally as prolific cayenne peppers.)

Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers and just use the flesh. I'd say that if you're worried about heat, just use one pepper. I'm probably only going to use one just because I don't want to set my children on fire.

Snidget, I've been meaning to mention, and this fits well in the hot pepper talk, that sriracha has become the favorite sauce around our house. Mr. Fro uses it on everything. He considers it the magic sauce that saves leftovers. The latest use (one that I'm fond of as well) is that we've been putting it on burgers along with shredded lettuce. SO YUMMY. Goodbye ketchup/mustard, hello sriracha burgers! I bought a pretty gigantic bottle of it when I made your Pad Thai and it's almost gone. Hooray for the OTCC!

05-05-10, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
glad you like the sriracha. It is a really nice hot sauce. Had a bit of it in my stir fry tonight.

Well I got the haberno pepper and gloves today. Need to defrost the pork roast I have and then it is time to check the charcoal grill.

thndrkttn 3123 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-30-10, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Just wanted you all to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about the OTCC. I made Frody’s crepes and have a ton of pics. It’s just that the pics are on the camera with Bear’s last full day alive and I can’t bring myself to look at those yet. We were going to make Seana’s dish last Sunday but Pinks All Out lasted two days and not one. We have a cruise-in tomorrow and are going to the Quail Hollow golf tourney Sunday so I will do some cooking next weekend.

Tummy, I owe you a pm. DH can’t do his week because we will be in NY for the week for my grandfather’s memorial. Anyone want to switch for June 11?

05-01-10, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Hugs sweetie. You don't worry about anything.

I was switching with Buggy because she'd like to do a BBQ, I think - right Bugs? - anyway if Buggy will take June 11th he can have either my date if he wants to do a grill recipe or Buggy's if he was an autumn recipe.

ARnutz 13194 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-10, 08:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
{{{hugs}}}

05-02-10, 01:10 PM (EST)
25. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
May 14 - Pepe
May 28th - MKitty
June 11th - Mr. T-Kit Buggy
June 25th - SilverGirl
July 9th - MC
July 23rd - Boo

T- tell the Mister that he can either take Buggy's old date of Dec 3rd or if he wanted to do a summer recipe I'll switch with him - I have August 27th. I'm good with either date.

MKitty 2878 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-03-10, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
thanks for the reminder again of my upcoming date! I better put on my thinking cap!

Summarized by the Capn!

04-30-10, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Going to try this recipe this weekend. My computer is crapping out, so I may not be able to post the results right away

I maroonclown 35 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-30-10, 09:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I%20maroonclown Click to send private message to I%20maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
I've fallen so far behind - I have stuffed peppers, crepes, Seana's salads and this. Plus a couple of others, I think.

Tomorrow is jerk chicken, will attempt crepes on Sunday. Was going to do these before vacay but the timing didn't work.

Have family over for BBQ on May 24 so Seana's salads are coming out.

The stuffed peppers will have to wait until next weekend.

04-30-10, 09:43 PM (EST)
15. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
The crepes are so yummy.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-01-10, 10:54 AM (EST)
16. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Mr. Qwerty loved the catch-up week we had awhile back. I think I did 3 recipes (7 new dishes total) that week.

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-10, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
LAST EDITED ON 05-01-10 AT 04:45 PM (EST)

I think I did 5 in one week - I still have Arkie's to do to catch up along with this one. I like to try new things but both will take me out of my box, so I have to get psyched up for it!

My husband found the leftover sour cream in the fridge yesterday. He said, "What's this for?"
I responded, "Oh that's from qwerty's chicken salad."
He said, "what?!"
I smirked and said, "Oh that's right, you weren't home. You missed it, too bad!" He hates missing new recipes!

Cooked up by Foonermints

05-01-10, 01:31 PM (EST)
18. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
I'm doing the Jerk and Seana's salads together this weekend. Next weekend we're in San Antonio, and I've got all the stuff for all recipes, so I need to do this before stuff goes bad. Hopefully tomorrow if all the rain stops.

05-02-10, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I%20maroonclown Click to send private message to I%20maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Yummy! This was so good. The marinade tsted so fresh. I cut it in half but went to a large habenero (SP?) pepper. Although the marinade made both DH and I go "Woo" it worked out just fine.

I served with grilled pineapple and fiddleheads.

J Slice 13149 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-10, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
OMG fiddleheads.

You lucky dog. Those things are good.

Tribe's the man behind the curtain.

05-02-10, 03:30 PM (EST)
28. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Pretty picture. Pretty plate. I haven't had fiddleheads in, well let's just say a really, really long time.

05-02-10, 07:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Oooo! How did you make the fiddleheads? I tried to make them once years ago and they came out icky. Like really icky.

However! This jerk recipe came out really well! DH even liked it and you know what a picky bastige he is. We had it with carrots and some fresh bread. The bread was to help with the hotness, though it wasn't too bad.

This was definitely much better than the store-bought sauce. Thanks weltek!

Wheel of tribe

05-02-10, 07:35 PM (EST)
30. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
We have such a narrow window for fiddleheads here. When I saw them in the grocery store I grabbed them. I chopped the longer stems and the hardened bits and rinsed them weel.

Because we were grilling I mixed them with some olive oil, salt and garlic in tinfoil and threw them on the grill.

Otherwise I would have gone the saute route with olive oil, garlis and white wine.

05-02-10, 09:15 PM (EST)
31. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Thanks! That's pretty much how I did them before - oil, salt and pepper. Maybe I didn't cook them for long enough. Huh.

Maybe if I see some next week, I'll try sauteing them for myself.

Wheel of tribe

05-02-10, 09:20 PM (EST)
32. "Team Canada checks in"
Thanks for giving the jerk a whirl, MC & Seana! MC, your plate looks so purty! I've never had fiddleheads. It's also a narrow window here and you just don't see them at at the store. I'd have to go and harvest myself and I can't bring myself to chop the plants.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-02-10, 09:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Team Canada checks in"
I've never seen them in the store either. I'll have a look around this week, but I don't think our big grocery stores carry them.

My jerk pork is marinating for tomorrow's dinner.... I just hope that DH didn't pound it too thin!

Cappy's Springtime

05-03-10, 09:53 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Team Canada checks in"
This recipe screams for husband help, doesn't it? "Here honey, pound on this for awhile."

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-03-10, 11:43 AM (EST)
35. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Marinating in the fridge! Can't wait for dinner! Was going to cook them yesterday, so they have been marinating since yesterday morning. But, we went to the zoo yesterday and ended up stopping for a late lunch/early dinner on the way home so decided to save the ribs for tonight.

By the way, I love this recipe. The only thing I had to buy were the green onions. I had everything else on hand.

I increased the amounts of the marinade a bit since the ribs have a lot of surface area to cover (I actually split the rack in half and it's in the fridge in two ziplocs.)

The marinade smells and tastes fantastic. I have to admit that I didn't really measure anything, because I decided to increase the amount part way through throwing it all into the blender, so I just put in "more" of each thing. I'm not too worried, marinades are very forgiving. I am going to boil it down to use as a sauce/basting glaze for the ribs.

The habaneros at my grocery store looked gross, so I ended up rummaging through my fridge and using a little tube of mysterious red chili paste instead. I wanted to keep the spice light this time around.

Going to run to the grocery store today for the ingredients for Seana's cool slaw and probably qwerty's sweet potato fries. I had sweet potato fries with my lunch on Saturday (a Reuben, of course) that were so delicious I'm craving more.

05-03-10, 11:53 AM (EST)
36. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Thank you for noticing the recipe was "simple" in terms of ingredients. I really tried to keep it that way (though I know not everyone has allspice, nutmeg and lime juice laying around, I would venture a good portion of us do). As you said, marinades are forgiving and you can play with it to your liking, so I'm glad you "played"!

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-03-10, 05:37 PM (EST)
38. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
I appreciate a good simple recipe.

I forgot to mention, I also added garlic to the marinade.

The ribs have been in the oven at 250 for an hour, and they still have two hours to go. Low and slow! They smell SO good.

I boiled down the marinade. I'm already addicted to it just from tasting it. It's SO yummy. I poured it into a measuring cup and left the pot to cool, and I've already been back in there twice to try to scrape a little out of the bottom of the pot to taste. MMMMMMMMM.

Originally I'd made 24oz of marinade (12 oz for each ziploc.) After marinating and boiling down I'm left with 5oz of sauce. (I let it boil WAY down. It's very thick now - thick bbq sauce consistency for brushing on ribs.) I think in the future I'll make lots of extra marinade, so that I have even more leftover sauce. It would be nice to have some of this in the fridge for a quick weeknight meal of chicken or pork chops.

05-04-10, 09:37 AM (EST)
41. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
I'm surprised you didn't add cream. It's been awhile.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-04-10, 00:33 AM (EST)
39. "Big Hit Here!"
Made the first batch with chicken legs with backs attached. Everyone (kids included) loved the chicken. I had to hide some for Mr. Qwerty who had to work late.

I was worried about the heat of the marinade so I left the skin on the chicken, in case I had to pull it off for the kids, but I didn't need to. It was a bit oily, so next time I would make this with the skin off.

Now, my wonderful husband bought a pork roast and the chicken, so I have the pork roast marinating in the fridge and will make that tomorrow. I thought I would have enough cool-slaw left over for tomorrow but that is pretty much gone as well, but I think I will whip up a batch of green mango salad which should pair perfectly with the jerked pork.

Thanks Weltek -- this was a great idea. And the girls loved it also because they were able to say "Jerk" without getting in trouble.

05-04-10, 02:44 AM (EST)
40. "RE: Big Hit Here!"
And the girls loved it also because they were able to say "Jerk" without getting in trouble.

*snort*

Kids are funny.

05-04-10, 09:38 AM (EST)
42. "RE: Big Hit Here!"
*giggles like a five year old*
Glad even the kids liked it!

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-04-10, 11:20 AM (EST)
43. "Ribs"
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-10 AT 11:21 AM (EST)

Yes, this is excellent on ribs. This was a very big hit in my house. Mr. Fro loved the sauce (as did I.) Zero leftovers.

I'm thinking about making these for the kid birthday party we're having in a few weeks (yes, over a month after their actual birthdays, but this time of the year is crazy.) We'd been thinking about just catering in the food, and might still cater in some pieces, but these were so easy and so tasty that it might be fun to have ribs at the party, too.

This recipe is a keeper. I liked these better than ribs with bbq sauce.

Pictured here with Seana's cool slaw, a Hawiian sweet roll and a tiny green bead.

Edited for a typo.

05-04-10, 12:01 PM (EST)
44. "RE: Ribs"
I'll be stealing your idea for the 3rd annual Nolay Rib Cookoff this year. Muwahahaha!

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-04-10, 12:16 PM (EST)
45. "RE: Ribs"
We decided to forgo the trip to San Antonio this weekend for Rob's birthday. So I'm going to do the ribs, pork and chicken for a BBQ for him. Along with Seana's slaw and since my mother will be here the tabouli-or however the heck you spell it. I'll post pics in both threads.

05-06-10, 10:57 AM (EST)
48. "RE: Ribs"
I have all of it marinading now. The marinade smells fantastic - I tasted a little and whoa it's pretty spicey. I used two habeneros, deveined and deseeded, so I hope it's not so hot that no one eats much. I think Seana's slaw and tabooleh are going to be nice cooling side dishes! I'm also going to do sliced cucumbers and onions in a cream/vinegar dressing for even more coolness.

Maroonclown 5430 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-10, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Ribs"
I found the marinade really mellowed once it was cooked. More of a full-bodied warmth as opposed to a full-on blast of fire.

Thanks Cap'n

05-06-10, 12:39 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Ribs"
Ditto. For us, it ended up not being spicy enough, given what I expect from jerk.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-09-10, 09:01 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Ribs"
Us too. As spicy as the marinade was I expected more heat. I even warned everyone. All of it was a huge hit. Hands down the biggest hit was the chicken thighs, but the only thing left was the ribs and that was only because I left those on the grill a bit too long.

I'll post pics tomorrow. For now I'm off to tell Seana she's changed my mind on tabooleh.

12 thumbs up this weekend!

05-05-10, 07:17 PM (EST)
46. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
It was another thumbs up OTCC recipe in this house! But I have to admit, I had to get a glass of milk to drink with dinner. My tongue was very tingly from the spices! (Yes I am a wimp and usually avoid anything hot and spicy.) The flavors blended really well together and I loved the hint of cinnamon and allspice you could taste. I only used one habanero and I think next time around, I will do the pounding. DH pounded the pork almost as thin as scallopine; I think if the meat was thicker I could handle the spices better. Using this recipe on ribs is a great idea too.

I made a potato salad with a cilantro pesto dressing to go with it and a green salad. It was a yummy yummy dinner. Thanks weltek!

Cooked up by Foonermints

05-06-10, 12:40 PM (EST)
51. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Good point-the thin pounding meant the spice to meat ratio was higher in each of your bits.

Glad you enjoyed!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Maroonclown 5430 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-10, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Maroonclown Click to send private message to Maroonclown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
*snort*

You said "bits"

Thanks Cap'n

05-07-10, 08:47 PM (EST)
53. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
:p I meant "bites." *throws a towel rack at MC*

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-09-10, 12:19 PM (EST)
54. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
Turned out good--had for lunch today.

Used one haberno pepper, and I sliced a sweet potato and had some large chunks of pineapple I did on the stove top grill pan. I dusted the sweet potato slices with the spices used in the marinade (but nothing hot).

Yesterday was way too hectic and today is a tad cold and I just wasn't in the mood for messing with the charcoal grill.

I had a sirloin roast in one of those stretchy string bags so I pulled it out without messing up the bag, sliced it and pounded and marinaded then rolled it back up, put back in the string bag and did it in the rotisserie I have.

I made the marinade into a sauce with fresh squeezed orange juice but decided the meat was spicy enough as it is so I'm going to freeze the sauce and use it later, maybe brush on a chicken breast or pork chop before baking them.

05-10-10, 09:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "Jerk Chicken"
I have pics but they’re on the camera. I’ll get around to uploading them all one of these days. *sigh

My DH could not have loved this more. He thought it was out of this world and on a scale of 1-10 he gave it a 10,000. The flavor was wonderful and complex. I am not familiar with jerk seasoning but damn, it was tasty and HOT!.

We didn’t use orange juice as I blanked at the grocery store so we used grapefruit juice that we had at home. They also didn’t have any fresh habeneros at the store so we bought a jar of them and used two. We used chicken breasts this time and we did the finishing sauce on the stove. We paired this with Seana’s coleslaw to cool the heat down a bit. The coleslaw was fantastic and that will be the recipe we use from now on. We cheated and used the bag cabbage ala Frody.

DH scraped up every single drop of extra jerk sauce and put it in the freezer to use with a pork loin. I had to pry the leftovers out of his hands to put in the fridge or he would have eaten a good pound of chicken. He would not change a thing and I usually defer to his opinion when it comes to cooking. I would probably squeeze a few drops of lime on mine just because I love lime.

Thank you weltek and Seana. LOVED it and will be made again and again. This is definitely a recipe that I will pull out when DH has had a bad day and needs to be cheered up. He loved it just that much.

Pics to follow.

Silly story. When we were kids, our parents took us to Jamaica. We passed a restaurant called "The Jerk Center." I asked my middle brother if he worked there. *snert*

05-10-10, 09:49 AM (EST)
57. "RE: Jerk Chicken"
I posted on Facebook that I was about to throw the jerk on the grill and Bre commented by asking why I was throwing Rob on the grill. I don't even want to know what he's plotting to get her back for that zing.

05-10-10, 05:26 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Jerk Chicken"
Yay! I agree, a squirt of lime is always welcome. Interesting to use the grapefruit juice. I bet Nolay would like that.

-A Tribetastic Creation

05-11-10, 10:15 AM (EST)
61. "Pics-"
DH ate the rest last night while I munched on the leftover coleslaw. Absolutely delicious.
I apologize that there aren’t more pics. I was just going to do the finished product but once I saw everything in the bowl, there were too many colors NOT to take some pics.

Ingredients:

Blending- we just used the immersion blender with some saran wrap to keep it from splattering.

Finished sauce- (DH was practically giddy at this point.)

Chicken in the bag-

Chicken on the grill-

Finished dinner- (And damn, I should have sliced the chicken like you did for better presentation. Bummer.)

Again, just wonderful. My grandfather’s memorial is next month and the whole family will be there. I am thinking that this might be a nice gathering meal complete with the coleslaw. Thank you!!!

05-11-10, 10:25 AM (EST)
62. "RE: Pics-"
Wonderful pics. As usual! Are those new plates? Pretty.

05-11-10, 10:28 AM (EST)
63. "RE: Pics-"
I bought a red one and a green one specifically for the OTCC.

05-10-10, 11:58 AM (EST)
58. "Pics"
Jerk marinade - ready to be blended

The pork with Seana's salads - I wanted a picture of the chicken but it was kind of inhaled. I reduced some of the reserve marinade down and added a tiny bit chipotle/rasperry sauce to it and brushed it over at the end of grilling.

05-10-10, 05:27 PM (EST)
60. "RE: Pics"
All those items on one plate must have really equaled a flavor explosion. Boom!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Starshine 3425 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-10, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
64. "RE: OTCC: Caribbean Jerk Pork (or chicken)"
OMH What a week!

Went shopping last weekend, and saw racks of pork ribs for the first time ever! So I decided to try jerking them! First time I have ever cooked ribs, and possibly I overcooked them a little. The flavour was nice however they were quite dry.

I think I will try the marinade with chicken thighs and cook down the marinade with orange juice to make a sauce over the weekend.

Sunning with the Cap'n

Just another Sleeperbloke

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •