The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Cornertime Forum (Public)
Original message

J Slice 13149 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-29-10, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
I know, I know. I had my turn.

But this came out far too well not to share with the people I love most.

YOU.

Besides, a goodly portion of OT is currently freezing their collective cans off. Why not solve the problem with some nice, earthy soup?

So thusly, another vegan crock pot soup: Carrot Parsnip.

(serves 4)

6-7 small/medium carrots, or about 3 big carrots
2.5 big parsnips
1 medium potato (doesn't matter what kind, but I used yukon gold)
1 small onion
1 shallot - if you don't have a shallot (I just happened to have a spare), use a bigger onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/8 cup butter or margarine
a smidge of dill
2 2/3 cups of broth/water/stock/rice milk - anything, really. I used about 1.5 cups of veg stock, .5 cups of rice milk, and did the rest with water
salt
pepper

Method:

1. Peel and coarsely chop the carrots, potato, and parsnips

2. Chop the onion (and shallot, if you have it) and the garlic. Melt butter/margarine in a saute pan, and cook the onion mixture until it's soft, about 5-6 minutes.

3. Add carrots, parsnips, potato, onion mixture (including all remaining buttery/margariney goodness), cooking liquid of choice, and the dill to the crock pot.

4. Cook on high 3-4 hours, or on low 6-8 hours.

5. When all the veggies are sufficiently soft (tender, not mooshy), either blend with an immersion blender or CAREFULLY in small batches in a regular blender. Salt and pepper to taste.

Honestly, I think the potato helped big time here. The texture is velvety, and it's sweet and earthy - not cloying.

Please, please make this. It's good for you, dammit.

Tribe's the man behind the curtain.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Um... A bird's farting in yer soup IceCat 01-29-10 1
   RE: Um... A bird's farting in yer s... J Slice 01-29-10 2
   RE: Um... A bird's farting in yer s... Seana 01-29-10 4
       RE: Um... A bird's farting in yer s... Tummy 01-30-10 5
   In some places moonbaby 01-31-10 7
 RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Car... Snidget 01-29-10 3
 RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Car... qwertypie 01-30-10 6
 Bird Fart Soup is in the crock pot Snidget 02-01-10 8
 Very nice Snidget 02-01-10 9
   RE: Very nice J Slice 02-01-10 10
       RE: Very nice Snidget 02-01-10 11
   RE: Very nice Tummy 02-01-10 12
   RE: Very nice Silvergirl1 02-02-10 13
 RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Car... CTgirl 02-02-10 14
   RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Car... weltek 02-03-10 15
   RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Car... Tummy 02-03-10 16
   RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Car... CTgirl 02-03-10 17
 OMG qwertypie 02-08-10 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

IceCat 16886 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-10, 09:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Um... A bird's farting in yer soup"
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-29-10, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Um... A bird's farting in yer soup"
All part of the earthy bouquet, dood.

(the bowl cost $2. I have a few others in various colors/patterns. The fartin' bird just happened to be the one I put the soup in )

Seana 5017 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-10, 11:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Um... A bird's farting in yer soup"
Sharkie wipe, please!

Wheel of tribe

Tummy 1988 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-30-10, 03:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Um... A bird's farting in yer soup"
Make that two wipes please. That's hilarious.

moonbaby 15894 desperate attention whore postings

01-31-10, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "In some places"
LAST EDITED ON 01-31-10 AT 04:10 PM (EST)

Bird Fart Soup is considered a delicacy.

Snidget 35571 desperate attention whore postings

01-29-10, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
*looks at the size of the blue blob on the radar*

Sounds good, but all I've got on hand is carrots and it may be awhile before I venture out to the store again.

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-10, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
I am never going to catch up!

I have to figure out what to pair it with and kill two recipes with one stone.

Mr. Qwerty is very intrigued.

whenever I think of "cloying" I can't help but think of Quark describing Earth root beer.

02-01-10, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Bird Fart Soup is in the crock pot"
I used a medium sized onion and a little bit of freeze dried Shallot I have on hand, but wasn't sure how much would equal one so just used about a tablespoon of that in.

I deglazed the onion pan with veggie stock and some water to get the last of the drippings in to the pot. I think I added a bit too much water (for some reason 2 2/3 confused me so I think I really have 3 2/3 of total liquid (for some reason 8+8 came up to 24 instead of 16 when I was adding water), if it looks like it needs it I'll just pull out a cup or so of liquid and reduce it before blending it up, but I did 3 full parsnips and 4 large carrots (two were pretty small) so that may be enough veggies to work out in the end).

02-01-10, 05:39 PM (EST)
9. "Very nice"
I may have to get into these immersion blender soups more. I usually don't, but I've like both of yours and the butternut squash soup I made last year, and well I have the blender so I should use it more.

Since I didn't have any bird farts for garnish I added a bit of fat free sour cream and parsley from the Rosemary Caper Dinner.

02-01-10, 05:50 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Very nice"
So how is it without the bird farts?

(glad you like it)

I'm a big fan of smooth soups, apparently. This may be compensation for putting no dairy into the mix, although I haven't eaten much dairy for about ten years, so maybe it's just a texture preference thing. Unfortunately, Damien and I worked in tandem to kill the immersion blender, but my conventional one is holding up quite well.

I'm trying to watch my figure a bit these days, making sure all the food I cook in my house, at the very least, is reasonably good for me; this also lined up with the beginning of student-teaching. As I'm brown-bagging each day, and I really don't like about 90% of sandwiches, the soup has been quite welcome and tasty.

Tribe's the man behind the curtain.

02-01-10, 06:18 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Very nice"
Turned out pretty good. Very carroty/parsnipy.

Soup can be a good alternative for sandwiches for brown bag lunches, especially in the winter. When we did field studies on cold days I'd often make up a can of tomato or cream of chicken soup and put it in the steel thermos. I could drink them without needing a spoon and there is something about the soup that is more warming at least psychologically than either tea or coffee (although I would bring tea in the other thermos, I don't like coffee during the day that much, just for breakfast).

02-01-10, 11:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Very nice"
*snort

The Rosemary Caper Dinner sounds like a Agatha Christie murder mystery.

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-10, 00:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Very nice"

Beautiful presentation, Snidget, and I really like the tablecloth, too.

DH has told me he doesn't like parsnips, but that is because he thinks they taste like turnips. I have put turnips and parsnips in our soups, but he doesn't know the difference.

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-10, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
Oh goodie, I love extra credit!

I bought parsnips today so I can make this tomorrow. It's a double bonus since we are expecting more snow tomorrow too. I am also a favorite of "smooth" soups without cream in them. Here is my favoritest soup in the world. I could eat buckets of it.

Butternut Squash Apple Soup

Ingredients:
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons good olive oil
• 3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
• 1-1/2 - 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
• 5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
• 1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh (4 apples)
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cups chicken broth or water
• 2 cups good apple cider
• 1 tsp. cinnamon; sprinkle of nutmeg

Directions:

Warm the butter, olive oil, onions, and curry powder in a large stockpot uncovered over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.
Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.
Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of broth or water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup with an immersion blender (or carefully blend in a blender).

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add enough apple cider to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Check the salt and pepper and serve hot.

I think you could adapt this to the crock pot. It makes a lot so you could probably either halve the recipe or freeze it. I freeze it - it freezes well.

Snowfall by Tribe

weltek 16003 desperate attention whore postings

02-03-10, 03:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
I've made a very similar recipe (didn't have butter nor apple cider) in the crock pot and it was fabulous!!!

-A Tribetastic Creation

02-03-10, 05:35 PM (EST)
16. "RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
LAST EDITED ON 02-03-10 AT 05:37 PM (EST)

This sounds goood and something Rob would like. I'm saving Slice's recipe for a day Rob's gone. The only way he'll eat carrots is roasted, so..

Also - I always add some honey to all my curried soups. Just a squeeze around the top to finish. Really adds something.

Here's another creamy soup - thanks to Rachel Ray's magazine. I'm trying it this weekend.

Creamy Chestnut Soup with Candied Walnuts

4 Tbl butter plus 1 tsp melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 lg egg white
s&p
2 cups walnut halves
2 onions, chopped
1 32 oz container plus 2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup ruby port wine
2 14 oz cans chestnuts, packed in water drained
1 15.3 oz can chestnut puree
10 Tbl heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 400.

Whisk together melted butter, sugar, egg white and pinch of salt. Fold in walnuts. Spread in an even layer on baking sheet and bake until golden - 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool then chop. Set aside.

In lg dutch oven, melt remaining butter over med/low heat, add onions until softened but not brown. Stir in chicken broth and port, cover partially and simmer for 10 min. Stir in chestnuts and cook for 5 minutes more. Gradually whisk in chestnut puree and cook until heated. Using immersion blender, puree soup. (or use a standard blender) Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle soup into bowls. Swirl about 1 Tbl cream on top. Sprinkle with candied walnuts and parsley.

I think you could leave the cream out if you wanted.

Eat.

eta

CTgirl 5879 desperate attention whore postings

02-03-10, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: OTCC Extra Credit project - Carrot Parsnip Soup"
OMH, I love my immersion blender. The best $29 I've ever spent! And to think that I'd never heard of one until you all mentioned it in a cooking thread.

I made this tonight and thought it was very good. DH is out at a business dinner but he wouldn't have liked it. It would've been too thick for him, but it turned out just the way I like it. Which is fine with me - more for me! Thanks Slicey!

Snowfall by Tribe

qwertypie 7918 desperate attention whore postings

02-08-10, 00:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "OMG"
This was really, really good.

The only changes I made was I added a little paprika (next time, I may try some cayenne just to change it up) and used real butter. I didn't puree it completely, so we had some little soft chunks of carrots.

My only issue is that I think I now have serious competition for Mr. Qwerty's heart when it comes to soup. Next time Slicey posts a recipe I will lie, lie LIE and say it's my own.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •