The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Time to get this off my chest..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences September Eleven Forum (Protected)
Original message

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-09-02, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Time to get this off my chest..."
I wasn't around a year ago, so you'll have to bear with me, I've got a lot to say.

For those of you who don't know, I work for a radio station here in Dallas. Normally, we're a sports station, but on 9-11, everything changed. We were doing a kind of funny segment, when one of the hosts noticed that ABC was showing the WTC with lots of smoke coming out of it. We speculated a bit, but didn't really think much of it. (We don't have the sound on in the studio obviously). A few minutes later, we get back to it, a bit more seriously this time.

And then the second plane hit. I was the one who told everyone listening to our station that another plane had hit.

After that it was chaos. We went non-stop about this. We stopped running commercials. It was like that until noon, when I got to go home.

But it didn't stop. The radio was non-stop. TV had nothing else. I couldn't get away from it. But it didn't bother me at all. Even when the then-future Mrs. Malfoy called me in tears, I was fine. I drove out to Denton and held her all evening.

The next few days were the same. Go to work, more 9-11 coverage. Get home, watch coverage on TV. Drive around, listen to the coverage on the radio.

Then Friday night, I reached my breaking point. I lost it. I broke down in front of her and just collapsed on the ground outside her dorm. Then I went home and got more drunk than I ever have. It wasn't pretty.

I know the media sometimes gets a bad rap. But when something like this happens, it hits everyone, media included. Maybe them even moreso, because we couldn't get away from it. It was our job to make sure that you knew what was happening. And I'm sure some of those people have memories that they'll never get rid of.

If you don't know, Mrs. Malfoy is blind. She said it best when she said, "Right now I'm glad I'm blind, because I can't see what's happened."

I wish I hadn't.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... PackMan 09-09-02 1
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... PagongRatEater 09-09-02 2
   RE: Time to get this off my chest..... Draco Malfoy 09-10-02 5
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... TechNoir 09-09-02 3
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... LadyT 09-09-02 4
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... Mon Cherie 09-10-02 6
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... Crimsyn 09-11-02 7
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... GeorgiaBelle 09-11-02 8
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... L82LIFE 09-11-02 9
 RE: Time to get this off my chest..... Naked 09-12-02 10
   RE: Time to get this off my chest..... Draco Malfoy 09-12-02 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PackMan 1207 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-09-02, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PackMan Click to send private message to PackMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
Draco,

Thanks for sharing this. I know a lot of us sometimes forget that the people reporting the news are just like us. But September 11 taught us a lot about who our brothers and sisters are.

As for me, I'm just happy to be with my family this year. Last year at this time, I was in London on business. Life was great - Ms. PackMan and I had just found out we were expecting a baby, I had a new job that kept me closer to home when I wasn't travelling, and Ms. PackMan had just stopped working a few months earlier to focus ont he family. It couldn't get any better.

All that came crashing to a stop while I was riding the Tube into central London on September 11 at 3:30 p.m. London time. The train came to a stop, and the engineer made the announcement that the WTC towers had been struck by not one, but two planes.

I was completely cut off from my family. I was supposed to fly out the next day, but now I not only couldn't fly, I couldn't get through to my wife on the phone. I just wanted to hear her voice. I knew she wasn't in any danger, but at a time like that you just want to be with those you love, and I couldn't be there.

It took a while before I could get back to the hotel and get logged onto e-mail. I remember sending out e-mails to whomever I could think of to have them call my wife and tell them I would call her as soon as the phone lines would allow. It took several hours before we could finally talk.

Now I find myself getting up in the middle of the night to check on my kids. I watch over them as they sleep, hoping they never have to live through a nightmare such as this again. I do my best to make them feel safe, although I'm not so sure I myself ever will.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it again? - Anonymous

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

PagongRatEater 12973 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-02, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-09-02 AT 05:23 PM (EST)

That is so wierd, cause I first heard the news on The Ticket ( sportsradio station in Dallas). My wife sent me this asking if you were Gordo...

Anyway, I will always remember that radio broadcast. When I first started listening during my drive I thought that they were talking about that World Trade Center thing in downtown Dallas. I live in Dallas, but I'm originally from NYC.

As the story unfolded, I became more and more shocked until the second plane hit and it became obvious that this was no accident. It was so unreal and I started crying in my car (I still can't think about hearing those words on the radio without losing it a little).

I'm not sure which station you work for (though I am curious), but I was so thankful for those guys and the sensitive way they treated such a horrible day and the way the just stopped talking sports for the whole week. I will always remember that moment and I will always be thankful for the hosts who shared that moment with me.

09-10-02, 07:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
You're welcome.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-02, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
Thank you Mr. Malfoy. I'm very glad you posted.

I never shared this but it might be time. My story is partly about me, but mostly about my coworkers.

I was working in your nation's capital when I first heard. I walked to an office that I knew to have a TV and with many of my colleagues watched the second plane hit the twin towers. The news was confused and rumors were running wild, so in an effort to make my own decisions about what to do I walked outside. Looking to my left could see the dome of the capitol building. Forward and to the right, less than 2 miles away, black smoke was pouring from the Pentagon. There were many rumors being reported about various areas in Washington DC being a target. I don't need to explain how disturbing this was, because you all have enough imagination to understand. Most of my colleagues and I went back to work and tried to keep things working while intermittently trying to find family, many of whom worked at the pentagon, to make sure they were ok.

No one ever told us to go home. Things weren't that well organized. We trailed off as we saw fit to find a city totally locked up by police who were trying to maintain some order and traffic composed largely of people who were trying to get out of the central city or go across town to find their children who were in closing schools or day care. And the next day everyone I know showed up for work as usual, keeping your government running. And we still do.

I only hope that the next time folks want to talk trash on government workers they remember some of this. Not everybody was in New York. People died in the Pentagon, not all of them members of the military services. Postal workers died of anthrax exposure.

And I still haven't cried.

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

09-09-02, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LadyT Click to send private message to LadyT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
All of your stories, feel free to share. I really don't know what to say other than that. I don't think its really hit me that a year has gone by. I am having a hard time dealing with it as we all are. I am glad you feel comfortable to share here

Take an extra minute to tell those around you how much you care for them and be safe.

Mon Cherie 1811 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-10-02, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
Thanks so much for posting this, Draco. I was actually asleep when everything started to happen. I was off work and had dropped my car off early that morning, came back and went to bed. My phone rang around 10:30, it was a friend from Canada, who told me to turn the TV on. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I hung up with him and immediately tried to call my best friend from college, who lived in NYC. I finally got through, she was fine, I didn't keep her long because I knew others were trying to get through tp find out about their loved ones. Then it began: watching the news, reading stuff on the internet, I was not angry, I only felt extreme sorrow. This went on until Friday. I was in the car listening to Billy Graham at the memorial service. I just felt a huge weight on my chest, and I could hardly breathe. So I went to my apartment, packed a few things, and went to stay with my parents for the weekend. I told my dad I did not want to watch anymore of the news coverage, he could let me know if something major happened. The night we lit the candles on the porch, it was raining. no thunder or lightning, just raining. I sent up prayers for those who lost loved ones, as well as the workers who were having to see horrific things. The following week, my best friend called and told me she was supposed to have jury duty, a block away from the WTC, but she had overslept. She told me about the state the city was in, people walking around in a daze, workers working to the point of exhaustion, because once they stopped and went home, they would have to face the emotions of the tragedy.

I'm still not angry, I don't know why. As the anniversary of 9/11 approaches, I am still sorrowful, and pray that somehow, a peace will come to all who were affected.

Mon

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.~ Helen Keller

Crimsyn 590 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-11-02, 07:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Crimsyn Click to send private message to Crimsyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
This morning I read an article about a blind man that worked in the WTC. He got out alive but was cursed with nightmares. He said that not being able to see what happened would have been better than what he went through. He could FEEL it. Could feel the metal twisting, the building crumbling.

I think that I am better than the people who are trying to reform me. -- Edgar Watson Howe

GeorgiaBelle 2136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

09-11-02, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GeorgiaBelle Click to send private message to GeorgiaBelle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
Thank you for sharing. You made me remember as the long hard hours the media put into this just so we could know what was going on. Thank you once again.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

09-11-02, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
I live in CA, so I woke up to my clock radio that morning with the local DJ telling all the listeners what happened. My hubby and I both jumped out of bed to turn on the TV. We were blindsided by the images we were watching.

On the way to work, the radio delivered the news about the Pentagon and Pennslyvania. Over the next few days, the local stations hosted fund raisers and generally kept us all in touch with each other and the rest of the nation.

I admire the strength it took for anybody in the media to report these horrific events. I could barely speak to people without choking up. The media and the Government often get a bad rep from the rest of us. But when the chips are down, they all rose to the occasion beautifully.

There were many heroes of 9/11. We all came together as a nation. To me, that's the biggest strength we have in America-our people.

May you all be safe today. I'll have you all in my thoughts.

Naked 886 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-12-02, 05:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Naked Click to send private message to Naked Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
Draco,

As a fellow Dallasite, and avid sports show listener, I'm sure that I have heard you before. If you want to drop me a personal line and let me know where you work, that would be cool.

I wanted to publicly thank you for this post though. It takes a lot of courage to be able to shoulder news coverage like this. Especially for someone that is slated to talk about sports. Not to triviallize sports, they are very important in my life, but a story like this one made everything pale in comparrison.
I'm sure that your job description changed sugnificantly in the next week or two.

Thank you for holding up through this. Thank you for serving your community in its time of need, and when the time was right, thank you for providing sports newscast that helped heal people in this troubling time.

09-12-02, 07:06 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Time to get this off my chest..."
You're welcome. And thank you for listening, it was as good for us to talk about it as it was for you listening. We got so much great feedback on this for totally re-inventing ourselves when this happened. We're not news guys and don't pretend to be. We were just a bunch of normal guys sitting around talking about what's goin' on in this crazy world of ours.

Glad we could be of some help.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •