The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Airline tickets and such"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 16901 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-31-14, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Airline tickets and such"
It's been mentioned over and over about the teams actually having to buy 4 tickets instead of just 2 so production can stay with them.

I've been thinking about the pre-arranged flights. Maybe TAR books the tickets for the production crews in advance? Of course they wouldn't know the names of the production crew that would arrive for each flight but is it possible they could arrange to "reserve" a number of seats for crew?

Also with all we hear about security, and with normal travelers having to show up at the airports an hour or more before their flights, it's interesting that the racers can get to an airport and seem to jump right on a plane.
I guess watching them go through customs and security would be boring but it is part of the race.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Airline tickets and such michiganlargefan 03-31-14 1
 RE: Airline tickets and such Molaholic 03-31-14 2
 RE: Airline tickets and such kingfish 04-01-14 3
   RE: Airline tickets and such starshine 04-01-14 4
   RE: Airline tickets and such PepeLePew13 04-03-14 5
   RE: Airline tickets and such AyaK 04-14-14 6
       RE: Airline tickets and such udg 04-14-14 7
       RE: Airline tickets and such jbug 04-15-14 8
 RE: Airline tickets and such mikey 04-16-14 9
 RE: Airline tickets and such featherfish81 05-13-14 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

michiganlargefan 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-31-14, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michiganlargefan Click to send private message to michiganlargefan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
The only time I really remember Customs being shown and mentioned was TAR2 leg 3.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Molaholic 8782 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-14, 08:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
We already know that many times racers get the benefit of a dedicated counter line at airports, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out certain security measures are given special treatment as well.

I also suspect that the dreaded "flight is full" is often a production decision.

kingfish 17178 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-14, 08:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
LAST EDITED ON 04-01-14 AT 08:17 AM (EST)

Whenever I travel I elbow my way past other travelers to get to the ticket agent and tell them that I'm on TAR and have to get a seat near the door on the next fastest flight to wherever.

And whenever I take a taxi I tell the driver "Fast! Fast! Fast!" and "Pass those guys!", and "I'm in a race with other teams and there will be an extra buck if you can get me there first".

And when filling up at gas stations I always yell "Green Green Green!" and push other cars out of my way.

OK, I don't do these things, I just live in my fantasy world while waiting patiently in line, or drowse in the back seat of the cab. Even in my fantasies I'm a cheapskate.

I've always wondered why they don't show them going thru customs. That's a major delay in international travel, and has surely been a source of frustration for some teams. However there is probably a prohibition against filming customs agents at most airports.

starshine 51 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-01-14, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail starshine Click to send private message to starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
Personally I would love to see them go through immigration. What is the porpoise of your visit? on a race? Yes I see... Janice get the rubber gloves

I was once put in the naughty room by US immigration, and had just about reconciled myself to a fundamental experience when they released me.

And once on bringing about a k worth of clothes back I went into the red channel, they seemed most unimpressed, charged me 70 squid and told me to p*** off, that 5 minutes is probably the longest I have ever spent in customs

PepeLePew13 25222 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-14, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
Don't forget to add "Rapid-o! Rapid-o!" or adding -o to almost every word while in a foreign country. Ahh, Mirnglish.

Yeah you always see the Racers taking off at the same time from some airport door - you'd think they would be scattered all over the plane and exiting at the same time, but no, they're always bunched together on the plane. So, whenever they arrive, they'd be herded off to some room to clear customs, then bunched together behind some door for the cameras to catch them taking off.

AyaK 10322 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-14, 04:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
Wow, I'm amazed that, for a change, I actually have useful information on this topic.

First, TAR does indeed prebook sometimes. You'll see that whenever you have two-tier flights out of a city. Some of that is caused by the airlines refusing to permit prebooking of enough seats to accomodate everyone.

In addition, TAR generally requires teams to go through travel agents now, because they won't permit booking to be done directly at the airport except for nonstop flights. That's what happened to Margie and Luke -- they also wanted to try the short connection that Brenchel used, but the airlines wouldn't permit them to book that at the terminal . . . and the TAR producers wouldn't let them use a workaround.

Customs is indeed a nightmare. Back in season 1, though, TPTB at TAR decided that they weren't going to try to film traveling through customs because of the risk that it would be misinterpreted as a hostile action AND because it would dramatize the role of pure, random luck in the show.

Yes, customs can be a huge factor, but that's part of the reason why all the traveling is done at the start of the episode now -- to give teams at least a theoretical chance to catch up after customs disasters (which do happen but are never discussed on the show).

udg 3335 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-14-14, 11:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
Does that mean that "stuck at the back of the plane" is actually code for "got stuck for 93 minutes in customs?"

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!

jbug 16901 desperate attention whore postings

04-15-14, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Airline tickets and such"

mikey 1147 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-16-14, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
If speed of getting through customs is an issue, I wonder if Leo and Jamal have a harder time than the rest of the teams? This may vary by what country they are visiting, but I would think they might be at a particular disadvantage if they made it to the final leg when they would be flying to the US.

featherfish81 443 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-13-14, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Airline tickets and such"
Rarely have I had a problem at customs - usually it's just hand the person a form, maybe scan your bags. In Greece there wasn't anyone there at all - I just walked right through.

Immigration is usually the problem for me, with the ridiculously long lines and passport checks.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •