The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

featherfish81 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-29-12, 01:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
I didn't catch the names, but your choices were building a solar oven and boiling water, or collecting firewood and using a donkey to transport it.

I think I would have gone with the solar oven. Though it ended up taking a long time, the donkeys could be problematic. But I've put together a lot of furniture, so I think I could do that. I wonder if there was a specified amount of water they had to add, because some of them seemed to add a lot, which would take a while to boil.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... Starshine 02-29-12 1
   RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... MissMyth 03-21-12 12
 Episode 3 featherfish81 03-07-12 2
   RE: Episode 3 MissMyth 03-21-12 11
 Episode 4 featherfish81 03-18-12 3
   RE: Episode 4 MissMyth 03-21-12 10
 RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... featherfish81 03-20-12 4
   RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... MissMyth 03-20-12 5
       RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... TWoman 03-20-12 7
   RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... kidflash212 03-20-12 6
   the house! moonbaby 03-20-12 8
   RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... Starshine 03-21-12 9
 Episode 6 featherfish81 04-01-12 13
   RE: Episode 6 PepeLePew13 04-01-12 14
   RE: Episode 6 MissMyth 04-17-12 17
 Episode 7 featherfish81 04-13-12 15
   RE: Episode 7 MissMyth 04-17-12 18
 RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... featherfish81 04-17-12 16
   RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would yo... MissMyth 04-17-12 19
 Episode 9 featherfish81 04-24-12 20
   RE: Episode 9 qwertypie 04-24-12 21
   RE: Episode 9 MissMyth 04-24-12 22
 Episode 10 featherfish81 05-03-12 23
   RE: Episode 10 MissMyth 05-07-12 26
 Episode 11 featherfish81 05-07-12 24
   RE: Episode 11 byoffer 05-07-12 25
   RE: Episode 11 MissMyth 05-07-12 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-29-12, 07:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
Hi FF, thanks for starting this up again

This was a bit of an odd one, as Estee (I think) said elsewhere based on previous seasons it was a "no-brainer" to do the solar oven task, but it appeared that the firewood task was actually quicker.

I think I would have gone with you and picked the solar oven task, although remembering some previous assembly tasks I may have had some concerns

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

MissMyth 352 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-12, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MissMyth Click to send private message to MissMyth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
I don't know why, but I was under the impression that they were at a pretty high altitude and thought that plus being so early would have made the boiling the water harder. On top of having to assemble the solar oven. So based on my (possibly mistaken) impression, I would have chosen the donkey.

03-07-12, 03:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Episode 3 "
This week:
Stacked Up - Stack watermelons into a pyramid
-or-
Strung Out - String a harp

I probably would have gone with Strung Out. I'm pretty decent at untangling knots, and it seemed less risky than stacking up the watermelon piles.

03-21-12, 10:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MissMyth Click to send private message to MissMyth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Episode 3 "
String a harp, without hesitation. They didn't have to tune the thing, just get the strings in the right holes. I know the twins made it look hard, but not as much as carrying and stacking, and re-stacking, and re-re-stacking umpteen watermelons.

03-18-12, 08:53 PM (EST)
3. "Episode 4"
I know this is really late, but I've been out of town. Your choices this week were

Clean a Statue
-or-
Taste a Salami

I would definitely have gone with the statue. 14 salamis is a lot, and I know that they would all start to taste the same. Plus, you could end up eating a lot of salami, which might not go down so well.

03-21-12, 10:09 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Episode 4"
Definitely clean a statue. Not gonna do a food challenge unless there's no other choice.

03-20-12, 00:47 AM (EST)
4. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
Walk a path and then decorate a gingerbread house

-or-

Style a man's beard

Knowing how hard it is to style my own hair, I definitely would have gone with the gingerbread houses. You don't have to make things defy gravity doing that.

03-20-12, 01:57 PM (EST)
5. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
At least the beard styling was inside where it was warm. That would have influenced my decision, but I don't know if the contestants had that information when they had to choose. I've been trying to decide if I would have thought, like the Jersey boys, that longer hair would be easier.

TWoman 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-20-12, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TWoman Click to send private message to TWoman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
I think I would have assumed that everyone had the same beard style to do, so longer hair might make have made it easier to work with. (I know from putting my daughter's hair in a bun that it is much easier when it's longer). I'm not sure the Jersey boys realized that the beard style depended on the man chosen.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-20-12, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
It would depend if my partner had any experience with styling hair. I keep my hair really short and can't grow a beard, so if it were my choice alone I'd have chosen Gingerbread.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-20-12, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "the house!"
The beard one sort of grossed me out.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-21-12, 08:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
Depends how tired I was, however I think I would have gone for the gingerbeard as it appeared to require less thinking.

04-01-12, 03:32 PM (EST)
13. "Episode 6"
Your choice:
Apples - search through a car for a marked apple
-or-
Oil - scrape oil off a man who had bathed in oil

As much as I dislike search tasks, I think I would have gone for the apples. The oil one sounded gross, and I think I could have found a faster way to search through the apples. Maybe.

PepeLePew13 24731 desperate attention whore postings

04-01-12, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Episode 6"
Yeah I'd have done the apples as well. Just throw myself into the front end of the car and clear it out, then quickly move all the remaining apples in the back into the front part until I found the one with the ribbons.

04-17-12, 01:41 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Episode 6"
Definitely the apples! Don't think I could have handled the smell of the oil on top of scraping it off a human. More so if I'd known the men were really hairy.

04-13-12, 00:24 AM (EST)
15. "Episode 7"
This week, Tanzania!

Your choice:
Marksmanship - Use a traditional weapon to hit clay targets
-or-
Courtship - Perform a courtship ritual by jumping for 1 minute

I'd pick courtship, no contest. I know that by the end a minute feels like a long time, but it's guaranteed to be over in a minute, while marksmanship could go on awhile.

04-17-12, 01:42 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Episode 7"
Courtship for sure. I think you can do almost anything for 60 seconds.

04-17-12, 01:30 AM (EST)
16. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
This week:

Water Supply - Wait in line to collect water and deliver it
-or-
Air Supply - Patch a hole in a bike tire

Air supply definitely looked easier, even without having to wait in line forever just for the water.

04-17-12, 01:44 AM (EST)
19. "RE: TAR 20 Detours - Which would you do? "
Air supply. Even if you didn't know about the line I think you could figure that finding a house, wheeling a cart, and hauling heavy cans of water would take more time and energy.

04-24-12, 02:19 PM (EST)
20. "Episode 9"
In India:

Cricket - Hit a cricket ball past a marker
-or-
Clutch It - Learn to drive a rickshaw

I probably would have gone with Cricket. I'm not terribly athletic, but switching from hitting with a baseball bat to a cricket bat is probably a lot easier than figuring out the switch to a rickshaw.

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-12, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Episode 9"
Definitely clutch it.

04-24-12, 06:47 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Episode 9"
Clutch It. I'm much better at driving than sports.

05-03-12, 11:46 PM (EST)
23. "Episode 10"
Pachyderm - Decorate and elephant and then scoop its poop
-or-
Pack A Box - Pack 10 boxes full of ginger root

They would have gotten me on this one - scooping all that poop sounded like it would have taken awhile, so I probably would have gone with the boxes. Hopefully my partner would have persuaded me otherwise.

05-07-12, 04:06 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Episode 10"
I would have picked the elephants because I like elephants and think it would be cool to work with them, even if I had to shovel poop as well. In addition, I would have taken into consideration that the elephant tasks were all in the same area. Having to pack up the ginger and then schlep it somewhere else would have been red flags for me.

05-07-12, 01:39 PM (EST)
24. "Episode 11"
Sushi - play bingo with sushi rolls and then eat some sushi
-or-
Sumo - get strangers to take pictures behind cardboard cutouts of sumo wrestlers

I'm not a huge fan of sushi, but I'm pretty sure I would have picked that one. It looked easier, and was more dependent on the racers' ability rather than getting random strangers to do stuff for you.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-12, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Episode 11"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-12 AT 02:26 PM (EST)

I agree, but it seemed that the photo one went much quicker. How did you read the differences in the challenge speed?

eta - I also found it interesting when one of the teams (Vanessa I think) said "do the sushi, I am starving". I don't think they get to stop and eat much, so a food challenge, unless 10 pounds of snitzel, must have some appeal.

05-07-12, 04:11 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Episode 11"
Definitely Sumo. Not a fan of eating challenges at all, and not a fan of sushi.
I would have thought that the photo challenge would have gone even faster. I think Dave was scaring people. During my visits to Japan I have found people to be friendly, helpful, and more than willing to allow me to take a photograph when asked politely.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •