The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

shimane22 142 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-04-09, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shimane22 Click to send private message to shimane22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
LAST EDITED ON 05-05-09 AT 02:20 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-04-09 AT 04:18 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-04-09 AT 04:06 PM (EST)

I was bored...

Unused Yields/UTURNS LEG TYPE
5-1 Uruguay Elim
5-2 Argentina (Buenos Aires) Elim
5-3 Argentina (Bariloche) Elim
5-4 St. Petersburg Elim
5-5 Egypt (Cairo) Nonelim
5-6 Egypt (Luxor) Elim
5-7 Kenya/Tanzania Elim
5-9 India (Kolkata) Nonelim
5-10 New Zealand (Rotorua) Elim
6-3 Sweden (Haybales) Elim
7-3 Argentina (Mendoza) Elim
7-8 India (Lucknow) Double Leg/Elim
8-1 Pennsylvania Elim
10-4 Vietnam (Ha Long Bay) Elim

Unused U-Turns
13-3 Bolivia Elim
13-9 Moscow Nonelim

Yields Used
5-11 Philippines (Manila), Chip/Kim use on Colin/Christie
RESULT: Colin/Christie finish 4th/4, saved by nonelim.
6-8 Ethiopia, Adam/Rebecca use on Freddy/Kendra
RESULT: Freddy/Kendra finish 4th/6 and beat the yielders.
6-10 Shanghai, Freddy/Kendra use on Adam/Rebecca
RESULT: Adam/Rebecca finish 4th/4, saved by nonelim.
This was the first and only "revenge" yield.
7-10 London, Rob/Amber use on Ron/Kelly
RESULT: Ron/Kelly finish 2nd/4 on elimination leg.
8-6 Costa Rica, Paolo Family uses on Weaver Family
RESULT: Weavers finish 5th/6, Gaghans eliminated instead.
8-9 Utah, Linz Family yields Weaver Family
RESULT: Weavers finish 4th/4, spared by nonelimination.
The first time one team is yielded twice in a race.
9-4 Sicily, Lake and Michelle yield Dani/Danielle
RESULT: Dani/Danielle are 8th/8, eliminated.
This was the first and only time the yield was fatal.
9-9 Australia (Darwin), BJ/Tyler yield Monica/Joseph
RESULT: MoJo finish 3rd/4 and beat their yielders.
10-10 Morocco, Dustin/Kandice yield Lyn/Karlyn
RESULT: Lyn/Karlyn finish 2nd/4, beat their yielders
11-9 Malaysia, Dustin/Kandice yield Eric/Danielle
RESULT: Eric/Danielle finish 3rd/5 on elim. leg
Dustin/Kandice are the only team to use the yield twice.
11-11 Macau, Oswald/Danny yield Eric/Danielle
RESULT: Eric/Danielle beat their yielders, finish 3rd/4

UTURNS USED:
12-4 Burkina Faso, Shana/Jennifer u-turn Lorena/Jason
RESULT: Lorena/Jason finish 8th/8, "fatal" u-turn
12-8 India (Mumbai), Kynt/Vyxsin waste their u-turn on Nick/Don
RESULT: No effect, Nick/Don were ahead of Kynt/Vyxsin.
14-4 Russia (Krasnoyarsk), Margie/Luke use on Kris/Amanda
RESULT: Kris/Amanda finish 8th/8, "fatal" u-turn
14-10 Beijing, Tammy/Victor use on Kisha/Jen
RESULT: Kisha/Jen finish 4th/4, "fatal" u-turn

So basically, the Yield was fatal 1 out of 11 times and the U-Turn has been fatal 3 out of 3 times.

Interestingly, 5 out of the 6 U-Turns were placed on elimination legs, while about half of the yields used were on non-elimination legs.

Useless bit of trivia: Danielle has been yielded more than any other racer in history... 3 times.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... suzzee 05-05-09 1
   RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... Estee 05-06-09 4
       RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... popeave 05-06-09 5
           RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... shimane22 05-06-09 8
 RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... featherfish81 05-05-09 2
   RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... shimane22 05-05-09 3
       RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... olathejoe 05-06-09 7
           RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... shimane22 05-06-09 9
               RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... Starshine 05-06-09 11
                   RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... shimane22 05-06-09 12
 RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... Tregard 05-06-09 6
   RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... shimane22 05-06-09 10
       RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-... Tregard 05-07-09 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

suzzee 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-05-09, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
That was interesting so the Yield is no biggie and the U-turns were the kiss of death.

We seem to think we have some control over this planet. Ralph Steadman

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-06-09, 06:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
What this says to me is that the U-Turn is overpowered. It's been placed on Detours where both legs have major time consumption attached: there's been no real chance at 'I found the right random object on the first try -- let's go!' Get hit with the U-Turn and you're guaranteed to lose more time than the Yield ever had you waiting for. There's been no recovery possible, no bunch points after the impact or chances to make it up on travel times or fast Roadblocks. Get U-Turned and you're out. It's an 'eliminate one team free' card.

Problem.

popeave 433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-06-09, 08:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail popeave Click to send private message to popeave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
LAST EDITED ON 05-06-09 AT 08:23 AM (EST)

Kisha and Jen did make it close. Didn't Phil say it was "seconds" of difference (although we did not see Cara and Jaime in the shots of K/J at the mat)?

The eating challenge after the U-Turn is probably a good type of challenge to have in that position. It is one that someone might take a long time on or that someone - especially someone with extra motivation - might really blast through quickly. In fact, because Cara moved through the eating challenge so well, her team was able to stay alive. I'm not saying that an eating challenge is not difficult, but it does seem to me to be one that an individual may be able to really step up and blast through more quickly. If Jen had performed on the eating as well as Cara had, K/J would have finished the leg in third place and C/J would have been going home.

Having said that, I must agree that I don't like the fact that the U-Turn has been so consistently fatal. I like the idea of a U-Turn because it's more interesting than a yield (watching a team tackle an extra challenge vs watching a team sit and wait for the timer to run out), but I definitely agree that they need to be set up so that the U-Turned team has a fighting chance. In this case, they did, but that may not have always been the case.

05-06-09, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shimane22 Click to send private message to shimane22 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
Well, the U-Turn has always been set up in locations where the two detour options are very close together, which helps. I honestly don't think the U-Turn is designed to hurt teams any more than the Yield did-- it has just worked out that way because the U-Turned teams made other mistakes.

Kris/Amanda said it took them 20 minutes to finish when they got back to the log pile. Kisha/Jen finished the waiter task in 15 minutes. Didn't the Yield require a 15-20 minute wait?

If Jen had powered through the eating task like Cara did, they would not have been eliminated. If Kris/Amanda had abandoned the log pile task earlier they wouldn't have been eliminated. I chalk their eliminations up to the U-Turn being deployed strategically, time bled on other tasks, and bad luck.

featherfish81 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-05-09, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
Can a U-Turn be used more than once on a leg? I know each team can only use it once, but since Cara/Jaime were still behind them, couldn't Kisha/Jen have U-Turned them? I'm pretty sure the yields could be used more than once. Or does the fact that you were yielded remove that option?

05-05-09, 07:02 PM (EST)
3. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
A yield/u-turn can only be used by one team per leg, and each team can only use the yield/u-turn once per race.

It would render the U-Turn pretty pointless if for example
Tammy/Victor could u-turn Margie/Luke who would u-turn Kisha/Jen who would then u-turn Jamie/Cara.

The first team to use it would start a cascade of u-turning/yielding subsequent teams which would ultimately give the first team a huge time advantage over the trailing teams while not shaking up the finishing order very much.

olathejoe 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-06-09, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
>A yield/u-turn can only be used
>by one team per leg,
>and each team can only
>use the yield/u-turn once per
>race.

So Margie/Luke could not have u=turned the sisters if they had the chance this week, since they already used the u=turn earlier to get rid of the best team of the season? I don't remember that part of the rules. Are you sure about that?

05-06-09, 04:12 PM (EST)
9. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
LAST EDITED ON 05-06-09 AT 04:14 PM (EST)

That's right. Each team only has one set of stickers to put up on the U-Turn/Yield board. Once those are gone, they can't use the U-Turn anymore.

On Season 9, Joseph and Monica lost their stickers somewhere along the way and said that's why they couldn't Yield BJ/Tyler even though they wanted to.

Oh, and that's why Dustin/Kandice paid Oswald/Danny to yield Eric/Danielle on All-Stars... because they had already used their own.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-06-09, 04:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
But Margie and Luke used a Blind U-Turn, does this mean they could still have used the normal U-Turn, after all, they hadn't used their sticker

05-06-09, 05:43 PM (EST)
12. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
I'm thinking teams can still only u-turn once per race, blind u-turn or not. On the other hand, teams that have lost their "courtesy of" sticker may be able to use the blind u-turn.

Tregard 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-06-09, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tregard Click to send private message to Tregard Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
I have a suggestion for people who don't like the U-Turn.

How about instead of the U-Turn, a Speed Bump that can be place on a team by another team.

05-06-09, 04:15 PM (EST)
10. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
Wouldn't that be essentially the same thing? Each would require the affected team to complete one more task than they would've otherwise.

Tregard 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-07-09, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tregard Click to send private message to Tregard Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: A Short History of the Yield/U-Turn"
Yes, but the task can be anything of any difficulty or length, it isn't fixed on being the "other detour" adding a sense of risk (as the team who use it don't know how difficult the task will be.)

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •