The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Love Cruise Everything (Protected)
Original message

Monkeyboy 1224 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-22-01, 11:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Monkeyboy Click to send private message to Monkeyboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
Love Cruise and Boot Camp both had low Neilson ratings, but in hindsight Bot Camp was much better. BC had a very regimented set of rules that never changed and you knew what to expect in each episode. The voting was very formal and it seemed like a structured game. The editing was also much better in BC. Also, BC had Balloon Boy (and Meyer)...the closest thing LC had was either Shakes or Toni. LC had whimpy Justin while BC had the scary Sargeants. BC seemed to really be about Boot Camp but LC didn't seem to even remotely be about love. The challenges on BC made sense and were very challenging...LC challenges were about squeezing fruit and balancing on inner-tubes. Don't even get me started on the Hot Seat and the BS paddles. Not even the setting on LC were interesting like Dismissal Hill was. C'mon... the show ended on Loser Island.
In fact, even LOST was a more interesting show during it's short network run.
There was nothing wrong with the characters on LC....the show just lacked continuity and didn't really make sense.
Sorry shakes...but Boot Camp wins hands down.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" ... sleeeve 10-23-01 1
   Casting versus Gameplay AyaK 10-23-01 2
       Meyer's story JFK3674 10-23-01 3
   RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" ... deebo 10-23-01 5
 not even close deebo 10-23-01 4
 RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" ... AresMars 10-23-01 6
   RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" ... TVhurtsMyEyes 10-23-01 7
   RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" ... SurvivinDawg 10-23-01 8
 RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" ... George Tirebiter 10-23-01 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-23-01, 00:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
I agree... in part...

Boot Camp was probably a better conceived show... in terms of the rules and game play.

But I really think that LC had a better cast. If the show had any structure at all, it could have been a ratings blockbuster.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

AyaK 8129 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-23-01, 01:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Casting versus Gameplay"
I agree with both of the previous posts. In terms of game-play, Love Cruise was probably at the bottom of the current crop of reality TV -- the "game" was little better than an episode of Basically-Moronic Productions' The Real World. But, perhaps because of BMP's prior experience, the casting was extremely good. If you'd put these people into a structured show like Survivor Africa, they would've dumped the fresh water, failed to keep sentries, and ended up as lion bait, but it would've made for great TV.

One of the funniest things in shakes' description of the facts was that the crew got every fifth day off -- and so they dumped the contestants on an island with no cameras! How destructive to the whole claustrophobic "stay-on-the-boat" atmosphere that they were trying to cultivate ... and what an opportunity for things like Toni's bribe -- which leads to bad TV, because we only get to hear about it, not see it.

JFK3674 37 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-23-01, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JFK3674 Click to send private message to JFK3674 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Meyer's story"
okay I know this is a Love Cruise site, but I had to comment on Meyers from "boot camp" I was unaware of this message board when the show was on.

I met meyers a few years ago, at the Millenium march in DC. He flew in from CA to DC, after surfing. He didnt shower and smelled like sewage. He feet were so bad, a guy I know took him into his bathroom and washed his feet.
He was was all jittery all weekend, and bouncing on the balls of his feet, semi dancing like. He wasnt too coherent. He got referred to that weekend as "the bouncing boi". Well by sunday nite his legs cramped up from all the bouncing and he was no longer able to walk. a friend of mine had to carry him from club to club.

More recently I had a friend see Meyers at a Bev Hills party labor day weekend. He's gone back to his circuit boy days. I was told he seemed out of it again.

deebo 30 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-01, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail deebo Click to send private message to deebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
I agree w/sleeve. I do think that the show was a few tweaks away from being a run a way smash hit.

deebo 30 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-01, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail deebo Click to send private message to deebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "not even close"
LAST EDITED ON 10-23-01 AT 11:18 AM (EST)

This is why I disagree with the idea the BC was superior to LC.

It is true that Boot camp had a very strict and well known set of rules, and was edited better than LC.

Even knowing all of that, I still found LC to be much more entertaining. Initially there was a big voyeuristic appeal to the show. The whole idea of 16 sexy singles forced to bunk together screams "Watch me get bucked neked and get it on". But then when everyone figured out that it was a game with the goal of winning money, the drama started. Fast and furiously. People still managed to get their "man" (especially greg and anthony), but that was not even a major issue.

Boot camp was just a hyped up version of a good workout, w/no spandex. Yeah there were the drill sgts, and some individual manuvering by the contestants, but that didn't change the way the game was played. Not like the way that things changed from hour to hour on the boat. Greg went from some good morning love, to being voted off, just like that.

I said before that I felt like I was watching the action under a strobe light. There was probably a hell of a show left on the cutting room floor. I think that the editing was bad, and that was the show's fatal flaw, not to mention the fact that it was squeezed in between the national tragedy and baseball playoffs. We never got a chance to really connect with the cast members on LC, and that hurt the show. They left too much for us to infer and guess. Who was Darin? Where was this incredible chemistry w/Melissa? Why did Melissa want to save tomiko at the end, when did they become close? Did Toni and Andrea just hit it off immediately?

But, the cast itself was awesome. And the show was way better than BC, even with the flaws.

AresMars 283 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-23-01, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AresMars Click to send private message to AresMars Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
Long Live Private Lemon

God Bless America

There are two types of people, predators and prey, and the sound you hear is the sharpening of my claws.

TVhurtsMyEyes 34 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-01, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TVhurtsMyEyes Click to send private message to TVhurtsMyEyes Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
Ahh... memories...
I miss that lemon...

------------
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-23-01, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
Ah! Recruit Lemon... to whom I'll always be indebted for introducing me to a hot Latina babe....

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"I've never been bored a day in my life. Only boring people get bored." -- Jerri Manthey

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-23-01, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Sorry Shakes...but "Boot Camp" was better!"
Hohoho, munky! I know you're just teasing the clown, but that was actually a well-considered post! I never stooped to watching Boot Stomp after the first episode gave me a tummy ache, but since you're the obvious expert, I'll agree with you here.

But this thread has taken a frightening turn. . . and I am left to wonder if we should all be very, very afraid. . .

GT

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •