The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Where is the balance?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Love Cruise Everything (Protected)
Original message

Needjah 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-27-01, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Needjah Click to send private message to Needjah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Where is the balance?"
I would like to know why it is that there is only 2 "token" black people on this show? It is obvious that they will not make it to the end. Think about it, if there were 14 black couples and only one white couple, do you think that white couple would survive getting voted off? I don't think so. Whomever casts these shows should keep that in mind. It seems to me, on all these so called reality shows, they try to have your token latin, asian & black (half the time that so called black person appears to be mixed)and then fill the rest of the slots with caucasians. Lets flip the script and try having your token caucasian. That would make television history.

This will probably piss off a lot of white people. The majority of you probably don't see anything wrong with the lack of balance. Like I said though, put the shoe on the other foot. Think about the last time you were the only spot in a sea of color. Did the scales seem balanced to you?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Where is the balance? SkyRaider 09-27-01 1
   RE: Where is the balance? SurvivorBlows 09-27-01 3
   RE: Where is the balance? Needjah 09-28-01 9
       RE: Where is the balance? PepeLePew13 09-28-01 13
 RE: Where is the balance? shakes the clown 09-27-01 2
   RE: Where is the balance? Needjah 09-28-01 10
       idiot shakes the clown 09-28-01 19
           RE: idiot desert_rhino 09-28-01 20
               RE: idiot Drive My Car 09-28-01 26
           RE: idiot PepeLePew13 09-28-01 21
           RE: idiot Ioway 10-01-01 32
 Help! It's the (PC) Police! George Tirebiter 09-27-01 4
   RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police! ManOfTheSeas 09-27-01 5
       Excellent point AyaK 09-27-01 7
       RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police! George Tirebiter 09-27-01 8
       RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police! Needjah 09-28-01 11
           RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police! Puffy 09-28-01 23
               RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police! Needjah 10-01-01 28
   Whether anybody realizes it or not.... issacthebartender 10-03-01 40
 RE: Where is the balance? boomerang 09-27-01 6
   RE: Where is the balance? Needjah 09-28-01 12
       RE: Where is the balance? desert_rhino 09-28-01 14
       RE: Where is the balance? George Tirebiter 09-28-01 15
           RE: Where is the balance? SurvivorBlows 09-28-01 17
           RE: Where is the balance? Needjah 10-01-01 29
               RE: Where is the balance? VampKira 10-01-01 31
       RE: Where is the balance? SurvivorBlows 09-28-01 16
           RE: Where is the balance? dangerkitty 09-28-01 18
               RE: Where is the balance? ManOfTheSeas 09-28-01 22
                   RE: Where is the balance? Mon Cherie 09-28-01 24
                       RE: Where is the balance? SkyRaider 09-28-01 25
                           It's Ok Sky... Mon Cherie 10-03-01 41
                       RE: Where is the balance? sleeeve 09-28-01 27
                           RE: Where is the balance? desert_rhino 10-01-01 30
 RE: Where is the balance? Brooke 10-03-01 33
   RE: Where is the balance? SurvivorBlows 10-03-01 34
   RE: Where is the balance? desert_rhino 10-03-01 35
       RE: Where is the balance? Brooke 10-03-01 36
           Vamp sighs..... VampKira 10-03-01 37
           RE: Where is the balance? Thrill Seeker 10-03-01 38
               Balance AyaK 10-03-01 39
               RE: Where is the balance? Needjah 10-04-01 43
           RE: Where is the balance? Outfrontgirl 10-03-01 42

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SkyRaider 1301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-27-01, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SkyRaider Click to send private message to SkyRaider Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-01 AT 05:10 PM (EST)

I think that there are THREE Black people on the show, two women and a man. Wasn't Michael hooked up with a Black woman in the second episode and the Black man was with another Black woman?

At any rate, 2 out of 14 are representative of the Black population in the U.S. What do you want, 50-50? If you want to be real Politically Correct, you'd wonder about the inbalance of not having any Hispanics on at all. Or Asians. And there are a couple of Jews. Where is Moslem balance? The Hindu spirit? Are Madeline Murray's atheists properly recognized?

I've watched BET many times and I've noticed the lack of White faces that I see on the various "variety shows." So what?

It's a GAME SHOW, not the United Nations.

Edited to add:
<It seems to me, on all these so called reality shows, they try to have your token latin, asian & black (half the time that so called black person appears to be mixed)>

" HALF THE TIME THAT SO CALLED BLACK PERSON APPEARS TO BE MIXED"???

Exactly how "Black" or "pure" does a "Black person" have to be in your opinion?

Talk about being racist!

This same bullsh1t was used during the Vietnam War, only saying that there were TOO MANY Blacks being killed in relation to the number of Whites being killed. That also proved to be pure sh1t. Check the stats.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-27-01, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-27-01 AT 05:14 PM (EST)

Just thought that I'd point out that this season's 'Real World' -- from the same producers as 'Love Cruise' -- has seven people.

Three are white.

And I don't follow 'Road Rules' as much -- also from the same producers -- but I believe out of it's original six person team, two were white.

...ya, real bigots those B-M producers.

Open foot, insert mouth.

09-28-01, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Needjah Click to send private message to Needjah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 10:22 AM (EST)

No, that girl with Michael was the token hispanic person. I see if we're not white, we must all look alike to you. And Black Entertainment Television is just that. That's the only outlet we have to view what you call our little 2%.

PepeLePew13 21243 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Well there was, once upon in time, the Cosby Show which was one of the highest rated shows in history...

But count yourself lucky that more African-Americans didn't apply for the show or more of them would have had the opportunity to make complete jackasses of themselves, like the 13 white, 2 black and 1 that could be either black or Hispanic are all doing right now. Right now, most of the blondes and gigolos on the show are doing nothing to dispel the white trash and shallow-mindedness images that has gone around with shows like Jerry Springer's. Two out of 16 is still a higher percentage than the so-called rate in the American population.

"Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pepe Le Pew, your lover."

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-27-01, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Where is the balance?"
its a tv show, who cares? Not exactly a good first post there buddy...just the typical yawn "why aren't there more brothers on this show" crap that we see with every show that comes out..couldn't you have just cut and pasted those posts instead of wasting all that time to write two whole paragraphs?

Guess who?

09-28-01, 10:10 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Where is the balance?"
No Clown, (by the way, the name is fitting) I couldn't have cut and pasted anything. My post may not have been up to your standards, but that is how I feel about the show. There should be even chances for everyone to make it to the end. That is clearly not the case here.

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "idiot"
> There should be even
>chances for everyone to make
>it to the end.
>That is clearly not the
>case here.

....how do Tomiko and Adrian NOT have an even chance to make it to the end??? Maybe I missed the scene where me and all the other honkeys ran around the boat in our white sheets with torches looking to lynch us some colored folk??? The fact that you imply that we would be targeting the minorites for elimination shows me that you yourself are in fact a racist because only someone who thinks like that would assume that others are thinking that way as well, especially in a situation such as this where there is ZERO evidence to support your claim.

Oh by the way, what race were the first four people to be voted out? Exactly! Now feel free to leave this board permanenty...after all, The Mole starts tonigth and I'm sure there won't be enough black people on that show either so you can raise this same typical-done-over-and-over-and-over-again debate on that message board as well.

Also, as for your black friend who didn't make the show, it helps to have a personality when trying out for these shows. If he is friends with you he must be lacking in that category.

NEXT

Guess who?

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: idiot"
ROFL!

-- JV

w.g.r.s.f.c.

"What rage for fame attends both great and small!
Better be damned than mentioned not at all." --John Wolcot (1738–1819)

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: idiot"
-- JV

w.g.r.s.f.c.

OMG <click>
JV that is so funny!!!!!

S.L.S.F.C.

PepeLePew13 21243 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: idiot"
*bringing a stick and a bag of marshmallows for the roasting*

you go Shakes! Love that last line... "if he's friends with you, he must be lacking in that category."

"Permit me to introduce myself. I am Pepe Le Pew, your lover."

Ioway 44 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-01-01, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ioway Click to send private message to Ioway Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: idiot"
Actually I was kinda hoping they would have Rudy the Seal as one of the contestants. Like, he could kick Anthony's ass and ##### slap a guy or two, and then have a group sex think with Tomiko, Toni, and Laura.. nothing like seeing an old man getting it on with hot young chicks! Ed Powers step aside!

Maybe the next one we could have some amputees, and Jared Fogle in the "before" version, a dwarf transvestite and two bloodhounds?

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-27-01, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Help! It's the (PC) Police!"
Yes, there ARE two black women and Adrian (a jackass in any color. . .) But why can't we turn on something like this--mindless for mindlessness' sake--and enjoy it for what it is? Everything does NOT have to be a battleground or make a point--sometimes, it's just about escapism!

Don't mean to belittle your concerns, but we've had this discussion way back. . . If you're REALLY upset, maybe you ought to write to the networks and major newspapers. From my viewpoint, we already had the 60s, and these points have already been adequately stated--but you're not going to force a universal change of attitude in a generation. I think we make more inroads by bringing up kids who are decent people than any amount of confrontation or cries of inequality and tokenism.

This is about LOVE CRUISE, fer cryin' out loud--not something that ever pretended to have socially-redeeming qualities!

GT

ManOfTheSeas 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-27-01, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ManOfTheSeas Click to send private message to ManOfTheSeas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police!"
Well let's get one thing straight. A diverse background is best for any reality show. Having 16 white people doesn't bring Story to the show. Take it from me.. I've worked in this line of Television. The problem is people of ethnic background typically don't apply to these shows, and the few that do apply always end up to be players. I'm sure they would love a successful african american male that is looking for romance and love. I'm sure they would love a smoking native american woman that has a college education. Those people never apply though... and that's the sad part. Sometimes I think the only people with guts to go out and apply to any sort of Television program are the people that you see on Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake everyday. So if you have a problem with the diversty on reality tv then APPLY to these shows. Writing about it does nothing compared to actually applying. At least then you can say I'm a such and such with a great story and personality to tell and they didn't pick me!

till later-

AyaK 8129 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-01, 08:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Excellent point"
Very good point, ManOfTheSeas, and welcome to the boards....

As Michael/shakes told us, he just went to the casting call for this show as a lark, because his brother wanted to go (I believe) ... and he ended up on the show. No question, the producers are looking for something outside of the usual range of attention whores who apply for these shows -- "Survivor" has its pick of candidates (including some people with LOTS of money), but most of the imitators are desperate for anyone who can bring a spark of life to the show. Black, white, brown, yellow, or any mix in-between -- if you have something to offer, you're probably in on most of these shows.

It's hard to believe that the producers would have picked someone like Sideshow Bob (see Gilgamesh3's comments) over a person of color (ANY color) if they had a better candidates ... but the best black male that they could come up with was Adrian, who now stands out as the most disliked person on the boat.

09-27-01, 09:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police!"
OMG, ManOfTheSea. . . now we'll probably have to kick your arse because you fed them the idea for LC II: The Jerry Springer Version! Held on one of those Mississippi gambling boats. . . Sixteen people who've already dated/been married/impregnated/given birth to each one of the others. . . Throw in a few on-the-spot paternity tests and STDs, and they just might find one pair that really deserves each other (and could legally marry in any state)! The prize could include a makeover, a weekend at one of those honeymoon hotels in the Wisconsin Dells (silk sheets and heart-shaped tub), meal in a sit-down restaurant, and a new 18' Airstream to go home in!

(Uh-oh. . . now the white trailer trash crowd is going to be gunning for me. . .)

GT

09-28-01, 10:14 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police!"
For the record, I do know a black male that wanted to be on the show and was not chosen. Perhaps he wasn't a big enough player, and that's how we got stuck with Adrian. Imaging actually having a black man on the show with a good head on his shoulders.

Puffy 6091 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police!"

Was his name "Needjah"?

10-01-01, 08:52 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Help! It's the (PC) Police!"
NO IT WAS NOT, THANK YOU.

issacthebartender 4 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-01, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail issacthebartender Click to send private message to issacthebartender Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "Whether anybody realizes it or not..."
Jeanette is Latino and Tomiko is Polynesian.

boomerang 556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-27-01, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail boomerang Click to send private message to boomerang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Why do you refer to the blacks on the show as "token," and what would your ideal mix be?

09-28-01, 10:20 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Where is the balance?"
I say "token" because that is how it appears to me. If it were up to me there would be an even mix of ALL races. Caucasion, African American, Asian, Native American, Latin etc.....

My office is diverse in this way, and it works out just fine.

09-28-01, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Where is the balance?"
What is EVEN? 1 of each?

09-28-01, 10:49 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 12:27 PM (EST)

I'm sorry to perpetuate this debate, but I think you're actually PROMOTING tokenism. . . an "even mix of ALL races?" Why should something like race even come into play? What they were looking for was 16 people shallow enough to want to be on this lousy show. Maybe you should approach this with the idea that there are just more whites lacking the self-esteem to STAY AWAY from this kind of travesty. . . If your friend really had a good head on his shoulders, he's probably counting his blessings right now that he dodged a bullet!

Again, I think your efforts should be directed at the people behind television in general, not a community of anarchistic bashers. . . I think the sorry state of sitcoms is more of an issue (and especially ones geared toward BLACK families in the last decade!--I can't imagine that things like Urkel actually feel like an improvement to the black community. . . ) You want to see where the REAL progress is going to be made? Look at how many commercials feature normal black people, look at magazines and shows aimed at kids. There IS a shift toward being more accepting of everyone, and I think the secret lies in the fact that it's SUBTLE--not an endless jackhammer approach.

Now. . . can we move past this and just get back to making crap of this show? It IS supposed to be all about shakes, after all. . .

GT

Preview, THEN Post! (Will I NEVER learn?!) And thanks, Webby, for replying with quote so that my spastic T-finger will remain in evidence for posterity!

09-28-01, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Where is the balance?"
>of travesty. . . If
>your friend really had a
>good head on his shoulders,
>he's probably counting his blessings
>right now that he dodged
>a bulltet!

I think Needjah and his "friend" are very close.

...sounds to me like Needjah is a little upset that his "friend" didn't get picked. Cheer up Needjah, your "friend" can re-apply for LC2!

10-01-01, 09:03 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Well I'm getting pretty sick and tired of this debate. As it was pointed out to me earlier, we only represent 2% of the population anyway, so our feelings and opinions don't really matter. I know when I am out numbered, so I will let it go.

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-01-01, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Your opinions and feelings do matter.. It's just that here.. as anywhere else.. You are going to have people who may disagree with you. My opinion is that they actually do a pretty good job of "mixing it up"..Some may laugh at this, but I think they pick them for their personality.. not their race.

"See, it's not about races.
Just places, faces..Where your blood comes from is where your space is..I've seen the bright get duller..I'm not gonna spend my life being A color."

Du ar min hjälte, Supermänniska!

09-28-01, 12:05 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 12:11 PM (EST)

> If it were up
>to me there would be
>an even mix of ALL
>races. Caucasion, African American, Asian,
>Native American, Latin etc.....

What is this supposed to be, The Love Ark???

...maybe they can get Noah Wiley as host for Love Cruise 2

dangerkitty 1912 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-28-01, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Does Toni count as a pair all by herself?

LMAO at "The Love Ark"

dangerkitty

ManOfTheSeas 6 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ManOfTheSeas Click to send private message to ManOfTheSeas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Here's another thought you guys can have on this issue, espically on this show. It's quite possible that a lot of diversty applied to the show but maybe that hot smart beautiful black or asian woman doesn't date outside her race. We all know that bi-racial dating isn't exactly a common thing (thankfully it is more accepted then it was a decade ago). A lot people have different opinons about it. Take for example Kammelah on Boston's Real World... remember how upset she was when she found out Syrus dating outside her race? You can't put someone like that on THIS type of show. Sure put her on Survivor but she can't work on this show. She wouldn't have a good time at all.

So if that's the case she couldn't be on the show, because if it was even ammount of diversty then she would really only have 1-2 choices of people to be with on the ship. So that wouldn't work out either. A lot more facts have to be taken into consideration for casting these shows.

Till later-

Mon Cherie 1811 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 02:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Last year, when I was reading the application for Love Cruise on BMP's website (yeah, I thought about it for a millisecond!), I know that one of the questions was "Are you open to dating someone who is a different race, religion, etc" or something like that. I was actually a little surprised when noone picked Adrian in the first ep. He is a very attractive man.
As for the "ratio" of races, I would be interested to know exactly how many people of each race showed up for casting calls.

Mon Cherie

SkyRaider 1301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-28-01, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SkyRaider Click to send private message to SkyRaider Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Where is the balance?"
<Last year, when I was reading the application for Love Cruise on BMP's website (yeah, I thought about it for a millisecond!)>

GASP! My world just crumbled!

Mon Cherie 1811 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-01, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "It's Ok Sky..."
I immediately checked myself into intensive "reality tv addictions" therapy. So far, so good... as long as I keep taking these little pink pills, everything is fine, just fine...

OMG! I missed Road Rules this week!!!
*pops another pill*

Mon Cherie

"Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you."
-"Cheers"

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-01, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-28-01 AT 05:10 PM (EST)

>I was actually a
>little surprised when noone picked
>Adrian in the first ep.
>He is a very attractive
>man.

And I think that Tomiko is one of the hottest ladies there, with a wonderful smile... if I had been Anthony, I would have picked her!!!

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

10-01-01, 10:25 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Where is the balance?"
I'm NOT going to reveal who I think is attractive, but I will say that it's someone rather OUT of character for me. (and it ain't shakes, just for the record.)

-- JV

Brooke 36 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-01, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brooke Click to send private message to Brooke Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Where is the balance?"
I totally agree with you. It makes me wonder about the people who post replys to your message/and mine. Wouldn't be surprised if they're the same folks who attack Arab people and their stores just to feel patriotic. Their day will come. You have to wonder about people who support and defend racism and bigotry in AMERICA!

10-03-01, 11:25 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Where is the balance?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-03-01 AT 11:26 AM (EST)

>I totally agree with you. It makes me wonder about
>the people who post replys to your message/and mine.
>Wouldn't be surprised if they're the same folks who attack
>Arab people and their stores just to feel patriotic.
>Their day will come. You have to wonder about
>people who support and defend racism and bigotry in AMERICA!

As someone who replied above, I resent being called a racist and bigot just because I disagree with you -- and shame on you in exploiting our recent tragedies in a pathetic attempt to wrap yourself in the flag.

Look, the fact is there were a few minorities on the boat. But it is also a fact that on the two other shows that these producers produce, MINORITIES WERE THE MAJORITY this season. I can't believe I'm being put in a position of defending BPM, but knowing that, you're a fool if you try and call the producers racists or bigots.

Where's the "outrage" that on Road Rules this season there wasn't a single white girl for the two white guys to hook up with? Real World had 3 white people (one who was cast apparently SPECIFICALLY for his prejudices) and another who was a white, 18 year old virgin. I'd say it's more likely that Rachel was cast because she was an 18 year old mommy's girl virgin, who, combined with that hair, had a pretty unique look, not because she was white.

Learn your facts before you come on here and accuse everyone of being racists and bigots -- these producers just recently launched two other shows in which minorities were the overwelming majority and I didn't see any complaints (or applause) then.

-SB

10-03-01, 11:34 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Where is the balance?"
bashin' white folks is the same as bashin' niggahs, sistah!

It's all bigotry to me! Your Mileage, of course, May Vary.

-- JV

(really, though... buy a clue. Unless you've evidence that the producers selectively avoided black/hispanic/lesbian (oh wait, that would be justified by the premise... never mind)/asian/whatever contestants for the reason of their cultural or ethnic background, don't just immediately bawl out "RACISM." It makes you sound like a mindless PC drone. But then again, "You can lead a zealot to Reason, but you can't make him think.")

flag

Brooke 36 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-01, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brooke Click to send private message to Brooke Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Well atleast now you know how it feels my friend. (SURVIVOR BLOWS- not talkin to you, so don't respond!)

VampKira 4433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-03-01, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VampKira Click to send private message to VampKira Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "Vamp sighs....."
>>You have to wonder about people who support and defend racism and bigotry in AMERICA!<<

I don't know where this comes from.. But I have NEVER seen anything remotely racist on this message board.. and trust me.. it would'nt be tolerated. Just beacuse people may disagree with the fact that there may or may not be a racial balance.. doesn't make them bigots. Putting opinions out for public consumption, naturally invites rubuttals.. no matter the subject. I think I can safely say that we all respect one another around here.. and no one is on "the attack". I hope you will re read responses, and see what is really being said. Just because opinions differ... doesn't necessarily make anyone wrong.

*PEACE*

"The trick is to keep breathing...." - Garbage

Du ar min hjälte, Supermänniska!

Thrill Seeker 220 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-03-01, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Thrill%20Seeker Click to send private message to Thrill%20Seeker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Brooke and Needjah,
I just want you 2 to know that we do understand your basic point,
that being the only black couple put them at a disadvantage on the show for various social reasons. On a show where they are trying to get people romantically involved, race does make a bigger issue than on Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race, or The Mole where people are merely competing without any romantic attachment.
I understand your point and agree with you to an extent.

AyaK 8129 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-01, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "Balance"
Sorry to get in the middle of this so late. Fascinating discussion, despite the overheated dialogue at times.

Brooke, the problem is this: if the producers try to make a show that "looks like America", as Bill Clinton was so fond of saying, then about 2 out of 16 contestants will be black. Another 2 out of 16 will be Latino. One will be Asian.

The problem, it seems to me, isn't the producers' casting but rather the "taboos" in America (and much of the rest of the world) that result in a mixed couple getting funny looks (even if the couple is David Bowie and Iman). Of course, that topic has been explored at length in other media (including, as well, discrimination based on skin color among blacks: I still remember the episode of Tim Reid's great TV show "Frank's Place" that dealt with the "paper bag test", as well as Spike Lee's musical depiction of the insults between groups he characterizes as "the Jigaboos" and "the Wannabes" in School Daze).

The fact is, any of these people could win if they play the game well enough. Yes, it's a disadvantage being a black woman on a romance-oriented show where many of the guys have never had a romantic thought about a black woman (although some of these guys look like they have never had too many romantic thoughts period ). But what can the producers do about that? Their goal is to achieve the largest audience share possible, not to contribute to greater racial understanding (noble as that would be). If Love Cruise flops, there won't be a Love Cruise 2, regardless of the racial balance.

10-04-01, 11:00 AM (EST)
43. "RE: Where is the balance?"
THANK YOU!

That is all that I was trying to say. I absolutely do not believe there is some kind of conspiracy against black people in television. Matter of fact, the two people I wanted to make it to the end were, and I stress WERE, Laura & Michael. I don't watch shows because they have black people in them. If that were the case I wouldn't be a devout fan of Sex In The City or the Sopranos. In this type of setting, they were at a disadvantage, and I hated to see that.

When it comes to dating, people have preferencs. If you close your eyes and try to picture the perfect man or woman for you, nine times out of ten, they will be the same race you are. At least that's the case for me. That is what I know, however, you know what they say, "never say never".

Outfrontgirl 5470 desperate attention whore postings

10-03-01, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Where is the balance?"
Brooke--
I posted a response to you and Needjah on the Why can't we all get along thread (which has been swerved by the Canadian/Amish)--because your thread and this were already so long. That thread immediately got buried, so you might not see my post, and I did want you to read it.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •