The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Sci-Fi Channel proudly presents Fear Factor In A House and LARPing For Cash."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-13-08, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Sci-Fi Channel proudly presents Fear Factor In A House and LARPing For Cash."
They like to call their new series Estate Of Panic and Cha$e, but we know better...

Note to the Estate production staff: when you're using the same music as your original, it makes the connection all that much easier to make -- and given that I saw the direct ancestry line within twelve seconds, making it easier is a real achievement. Honestly, you've got them doing gross, disgusting, scary, and painful stuff in order to win money: the only new elements are keeping it in a single location (more or less -- it wouldn't surprise me to learn we're looking at roughly five soundstages), ramping up the creepiness factor of the host, and giving us a pool of seven contestants to barely know. When I saw the banner on our own site, I thought this would be a multi-week competition between one group of people: now I know we're getting a new selection every time this thing goes on the air. And so it will continue until you come up with the brilliant idea of a couples competition. Again.

Admittedly, it's not horrible. If you liked Fear Factor, you'll probably enjoy Estate. The dual elimination element (don't be the last in a room, don't scavenge the least money from it) may need some fine-tuning, no one's looking forward to that first trip into the kitchen, and there may be only so much they can do with the house environment. (It's not as if the helicopters will be showing up early.) But it's a straight-up game show with horror elements, and that's all it's going to stay. Sound familiar?

Cha$e has some potential problems. For the editing, we start with the size of the contestant pool: with ten people going after the cash every week, we don't have time to get to know everyone -- or anyone. (The first winner produced a very sincere reaction of 'who': compared to some of the others, he'd barely had screen time.) And for the contestants themselves, they have to buy into the silly premise of being in a live-action video game where the props only work for as long as those chasing them will pretend they will -- with a true risk factor roughly equivalent to touch football.

On the other hand, people buy into American Gladiators... and at least for the premiere, some of the contestants were willing to be genuinely nervous about the hunters. (The costume design helps, even if the hunter names don't: being followed by the Men In Black is seldom a weak element.)

In a way, it's like watching a very active Survivor challenge over the course of an hour: come together, move apart, go in different directions, have the rules force you to temporarily align, face a new twist popping up every ten minutes or so. Some elements need work -- twists can feel too arbitrary, hosts who only appear on screens are an automatic weakness, and the bonus money flags are too hard to spot on that large a field -- but this could work. It just needs a tuneup or two before giving it the extended release from the shop.

But in the end, both new entries are just what most reality competition shows work out to be: glorified game shows with extra special effects and a relatively small prize pool. No more and no less.

Well, the electric shocks are at least a small added bonus.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Sci-Fi Channel proudly pres... kingfish 11-24-08 1
   RE: The Sci-Fi Channel proudly pres... kidflash212 07-10-16 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 19155 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-24-08, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Sci-Fi Channel proudly presents Fear Factor In A House and LARPing For Cash."
Thanks for the review.

I may watch Chase if I can remember to switch over from I Love Lucy or A-Team rereuns.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

kidflash212 4550 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Sci-Fi Channel proudly presents Fear Factor In A House and LARPing For Cash."
Golden Girls for me
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •