The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Power of 10"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-08-07, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Power of 10"

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/powerof10/

I like it. A 19 year old won a million dollars last nite!!

Drew Carey was good http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Roush-Dispatch/Drew-Power/800020032

Although imo it was nice to watch it on DVR (like Singing bee and Don't forget lyrics too) to ff thru a bit too much banter from Drew..Although he is a good host he just rambles on too much.

Another one tonite. I really thought more women would think they are feminists...answer 29%

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Power of 10 Estee 08-08-07 1
   RE: Power of 10 emydi 08-08-07 2
 RE: Power of 10 Fishercat 08-08-07 3
 RE: Power of 10 dragonflies 08-10-07 4
 RE: Power of 10 Hoobie 09-15-07 5
   RE: Power of 10 Snidget 09-15-07 6
       RE: Power of 10 Agman2 02-26-16 8
 RE: Power of 10 Agman2 02-18-16 7
   RE: Power of 10 kidflash212 07-10-16 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-07, 10:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Power of 10"
The game requires more thought than most of the crop to come along in the last few years: that's a plus right there. Not too much thought, and it's definitely possible to overthink the questions -- but at least the blind picking is mostly off the board.

Right now, it feels like it's too easy to reach the million. Sure, the shrinking range is a decent touch, and having a ten percent margin of error on the final question is going to limit a lot of guesses -- but at the same time, there are going to be questions where your answer range is down to a pretty small possibility anyway, and what you've got to work with is more than enough to use. Having the audience register their opinion on the first four questions is too much of a help: it's like having a lifeline active at virtually all times.

At the same time, it's hard to see anyone going for the ten million. Just about a nine percent chance of making it? No thank you: I'm not going for that without a hefty dose of clairvoyance or personally knowing everyone who took the poll... I predict we'll see some more million-and-drop contestants, but it'll be a long time before anyone shoots the moon.

Pacing isn't bad, and that's even with very few questions asked during the premiere. Maybe that's because the between-answers talk is actually about something. And let's face it: you can do a lot worse than debating about how many people felt VP Cheney would be able to kill them in a duel.

Drew -- as the review says, this doesn't reflect any ability he might have to host TPIR, especially as regards pacing. He's good with contestant interaction, he needs to stop repeating some of his jokes, and it'll take an episode or two before his laugh either stops being a little annoying or becomes really irritating. But he was actually funny a couple of times last night, and he just seemed to fit the show -- at least for now.

Honestly, what this reminded me of more than anything else was Family Feud. Survey says...

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

08-08-07, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Power of 10"
I said that myself too last night, the only difference is that there were multiple answers in FF

I like it a lot...I really thought Drew was sincere (but who knows he did say the producers weren't expecting it) when he told the kid not to go for it unless he was sure. I wouldn't have gone for it (but I thought the answer was in the 50% range)--so good for him. And I definitely don't think anyone will go for the 10 million...like you said, you'd have to know everyone that did the survey. A guaranteed million can help to change your life, 100K can pay some bills...so who would be stupid enough to try...only one to do that wd be acomp gambler imho

I agree there are too many life lines. It should be 1 of each --- one going to family/friend and one ask the audience.

I'm going to keep watching this

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-08-07, 06:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Power of 10"
Good show, better than most of the Game Show crop (I'd put it behind 1 v. 100 and maybe Don't Forget The Lyrics, but those are the only two I can think of for current, primetime Game Shows), I'll keep watching.

And I'll note, I was within about 5% of everything the 19-year old picked last night. I would have lost to him in the first round, but I would have been closer to the middle in the second round than he was. Weird stuff.

The feminist question was a little surprising to me too. I would have gotten the range right or at least very close, but I was personally thinking it would have been more, maybe 35.

The Cheney question was an easy guesser, I would have put it at 50% flat. The first one was a gimme.

But this show will get very tough and I don't think the million dollar prize will be that common. I see a LOT of 100,000 dollar prizes (that is a level to where 9,000 difference is worth risking for 90,000 more. When you have to risk 90,000, that's tough. Essentially the difference between a semester in a public college (10k) and a few years in college (100k) or an okay car and a really nice car.

I would have stopped at 100k though, absolutely.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

08-10-07, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Power of 10"
I'll keep watching for now too.

About the feminist question, I was very close to correct, at 27%. DH suggested that while I am a textbook feminist, I don't consider myself one, in comparison to the bra burners of the 60s & 70s.

I think Drew made some very insightful comments, and if the contestants want to win, they should listen to him a little closer, for now. Although he needs to stop babbling quite so much.

It's a Sharnina siggie!

Hoobie 569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

09-15-07, 02:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Hoobie Click to send private message to Hoobie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Power of 10"
These questions are just so random. What I mean by that is, the contestant has absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about how survey respondents feel.

I'd really be interested in finding out who "America" is that was being polled. I know that I wasn't

Whatever "random" sampling occurred, are the different questions being asked to the same group? Or different groups each time? How many individuals make up the sample size to be representative of America.

If anyone has any information on this...I truly want to know.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-07, 07:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Power of 10"
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-07 AT 07:51 AM (EST)

From their website http://www.cbs.com/primetime/powerof10/community/

"Specific survey questions are determined by Power of 10 and submitted to Rasmussen Reports. Respondents are selected on a completely random basis through a process designed to insure an appropriate geographic distribution throughout the country. The reported results reflect the overall United States population in terms of age, race, gender, political party, and other factors."

No survey of any kind ever surveys every person they are trying to find out about. There are statistical techniques you use to determine how big a sample size you need to get a particular level of accuracy (and I don't know if they have ever stated which margin of error they are going for, to get within 5% of the number you would get if you could actually survey everyone is a much smaller sample size then to get within 1% of what you would get by surveying everyone).

The matching the group surveyed to the population as a whole you are trying to estimate is pretty standard. If you want to know what America as a whole thinks you want the sample group to be a mirror for what America as a whole looks like.

Agman2 2707 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-26-16, 11:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Power of 10"
Snidget, I agree with everything you said! I even like the fact you provided a link.(even though it no longer works)

Agman2 2707 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-18-16, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Power of 10"
agman2 was here!

kidflash212 4812 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Power of 10"
And gone.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •