The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Cooking Under Fire-PBS Reality Contest"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-21-05, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Cooking Under Fire-PBS Reality Contest"
LAST EDITED ON 05-21-05 AT 05:55 PM (EST)

Ran across this totally by accident and am becoming addicted. It's a contest to find the best chef put on by PBS. But unlike network versions the judges make sense, the prize is reasonable, and the contestants know what they are doing.

Cooking Under Fire

Judges include Ming Tsai who I have always considered one of the best TV chefs. I have always loved the foods he cooked and think he is way underrated (plus I've always had a secret crush on him); Todd Enlish who is a professional chef that owns numerous restaurants around the world; and Michael Ruhlman who has written numerous books on chefs and cooking. Ming and Todd do most of the critiquing.

The prize would be to work for Todd English as one of his restaurants.

The contests have made sense for what they will eventually have to do such as do something interesting with an egg (which is much harder than you think), creating a mise en place without knowing the final dish then creating a meal from their choices, buying food on a budget then working with someone else, and the most recent: replicate exactly the recipe of a restaurants head chef.

Contestants are also interesting. Most have the egos that go with a potential head chef. On this last challenge one guy said he didn't have anything new to learn he already knew everything he needed to know and another told the guest chef whose reciped they were recreating that he didn't do it exactly because he didn't think the original was properly seasoned.

If you like food and reality TV I strongly recommend this one.

ETA: When they get rid of someone they give them a really high quality frying pan with an 86 on it so they get "86'ed" (which is apparently restaurant slang for getting fired from the kitchen). So far no one has actually been hit with the frying pan but it does open up the possibility but I think Ming came very close at least once.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Cooking Under Fire-PBS Reality ... volsfan 05-21-05 1
   RE: Cooking Under Fire-PBS Reality ... toddE 05-23-05 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-21-05, 09:36 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Cooking Under Fire-PBS Reality Contest"
Well, no wonder I haven't caught this...LOST is on during this time frame. I will try and catch it after this Wednesday night!

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-23-05, 01:52 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Cooking Under Fire-PBS Reality Contest"
Ah, the wonders of TiVo. I actually had no idea when this program airs, but as soon as I first read about it, I set a season pass. It's great.

First elimination: Guy who blamed his problems on other chefs.
Second elimination: Girl who didn't finish cooking on time.
Third elimination: Bald guy with goatee, didn't work well on his team, I think.
Fourth elimination: Guy who cooked entree first, then rest of meal.

Other good candidates:

French guy embodying negative stereotypes. Thinks he's too good, has attitude, etc.

NYC tough girl with a chip on her shoulder.

LA girl who is intimidated by other competitors, but slowly coming in to her own.

Young Asian guy who feels he is already at the top of his game as a chef.

Older black guy who seems to be in over his head.

There are also a couple white guys who seem to be good cooks, but haven't developed as characters, and a white girl from Seattle who seems to be sort of the "narrator" of the show.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •