The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Fantasy baseball AND reality TV??? Now that's a show I'll watch!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-27-02, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to check IP address of the poster
"Fantasy baseball AND reality TV??? Now that's a show I'll watch!"
http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml;jsessionid=0Q0OWE34WPNQCCRBAEZSFEYKEEATIIWD?type=entertainmentnews&StoryID=886559

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - HBO is developing a reality franchise that would allow viewers to track the progress of a minor league baseball team -- and then control its destiny via the Internet.

Tentatively dubbed "General Manager," the project would combine elements of "Bull Durham," "The Real World" and fantasy baseball. It is on deck for a summer 2003 start.

"It's fantasy baseball with flesh and blood," said Sean Bailey, who will executive produce with his Live Planet partners Chris Moore, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. "The creative aspiration of the show is to put (viewers) in the general manager body of a real team."

Live Planet and HBO previously teamed on "Project Greenlight," which followed a rookie filmmaker's attempts to make his feature debut.

Unlike most reality shows -- which shoot footage weeks or months in advance of air -- "General Manager" would unfold in close to real time. Cameras would follow team members both on and off the field, tracking their daily dramas -- from who's in a slump to who's hitting the bottle or sleeping around.

On the Net, viewers will be able to keep track of the team's on-field performance and then vote each week on key matters, including the starting lineup and which players should be cut or traded.

Should HBO give the final OK to the series, now in the early stages of development, Live Planet would likely produce 13 half-hour episodes. Production could be altered by the team's performance; a playoff berth, for example, could result in the addition of an extra episode.

Live Planet is already in talks with several indie minor league baseball teams about coming on board as the focus of "General Manager"; it hopes to narrow the field to one team within the next few months. Considering the giant publicity push a team would get from the show, it hasn't been hard finding willing participants.

For the most part, the TV and Internet portions of "General Manager" will remain separate -- though what Netizens decide to do will obviously impact what viewers see on HBO.

The Net component will come into play on-air at the end of each episode, when viewers will be told of several choices they can make regarding the team and will be directed to a Web site to cast their votes. They'll then see how those choices play out in the following week's episode.

"The TV show is the life stories and drama of the players," Bailey said. "The Net will be about game choices and stats."

"General Manager" starts off with a huge potential viewer base. In addition to the legion of baseball fans, an estimated 20 million-25 million people participate in online fantasy baseball leagues -- including Bailey.

While it is the first series to give viewers control of a baseball team, other shows have taken a verite approach to the sport. In 1996, for example, the St. Louis Saints were the subject of an ESPN series called "Baseball, Minnesota."

As for Live Planet, the company's TV division is humming, with the drama/reality hybrid "Push, Nevada" in contention for fall at ABC and a possible second edition of "Project Greenlight" being mulled by HBO.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Fantasy baseball AND reality TV... Bebo 04-29-02 1
 RE: Fantasy baseball AND reality TV... PagongRatEater 05-01-02 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-02, 12:02 PM (EST)
1. "RE: Fantasy baseball AND reality TV??? Now that's a show I'll watch!"
Oh, I love this! I saw the article last week and was wishing for HBO so I could play. Then again, given how my Bashers are not-performing in the league, I don't know how much help I'd be.

fluent in Sarcastic, Blahblah, and Mockery

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-02, 02:49 PM (EST)
2. "RE: Fantasy baseball AND reality TV??? Now that's a show I'll watch!"
Count me in! I just hope that I can draft Barry Bonds' son. ;)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •