The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The whole setup is so obviously phony"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! Forum (Protected)
Original message

Humble Bumpkin 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

06-02-09, 03:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Humble%20Bumpkin Click to send private message to Humble%20Bumpkin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The whole setup is so obviously phony"
The show opens with the "celebrities" flying over the jungle for miles and miles, creating the illusion that they will be living far removed from civilization. Then they supposedly have to hike for hours on end (although we really just observe them trekking for a couple hundred feet) until they get to their camp. Which is apparently in the backyard of a comfortable resort, since there clearly are overhead lights on all night long, with remote-control cameras on posts all around the site... and where does the electricity come from to power these? Anybody hear a generator running? No, they simply have extension cords going fifty feet up to the nearby building. Even the supposed "daylight" seems very peculiar, while all of the plants around the various clearings look as if they were placed there by a careful landscaper, and there is nary an insect in sight (ever been someplace tropical after dark??).... all in all, the whole thing seems awfully hokey. Not to mention the "celebrities" showing up for their last big "task", all looking clean and dry with fluffy hair, as if they had just rolled off the bed in their posh hotel room. A huge contrast to being filthy, sweaty and soaked as they were five minutes earlier.

Yeah, they're sweating it out, miles into the jungle, all right....

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Yet another big red flag.... Humble Bumpkin 06-02-09 1
   RE: Yet another big red flag.... vince3 06-02-09 2
       RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... Humble Bumpkin 06-02-09 3
           RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... Snidget 06-02-09 4
               RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... vince3 06-02-09 5
                   RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... kingfish 06-02-09 6
                       Hold On! foonermints 06-03-09 7
                           RE: Hold On! kingfish 06-03-09 9
                               Some Things foonermints 06-03-09 10
                       RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... vince3 06-03-09 8
                           RE: Okay, if Costa Rica is on the ... Humble Bumpkin 06-03-09 11
                               Postscript Humble Bumpkin 06-03-09 12
                                   RE: Postscript Snidget 06-03-09 13
                                       RE: Postscript AyaK 06-03-09 14
                                           Agree Snidget 06-03-09 17
                                   RE: Postscript Agman2 04-11-16 38
                               Time zones AyaK 06-03-09 22
                                   Further hokiness Humble Bumpkin 06-04-09 28
                                       RE: Further hokiness AyaK 06-04-09 29
                                           RE: Further hokiness Snidget 06-04-09 30
                                               RE: Further hokiness AyaK 06-04-09 31
                                                   RE: Further hokiness SurvivorBlows 06-04-09 33
                                               RE: Further hokiness Estee 06-04-09 32
                                                   RE: Further hokiness SurvivorBlows 06-04-09 34
                                                       RE: Further hokiness AyaK 06-04-09 35
                   RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... Agman2 04-11-16 37
           RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica ... Agman2 04-11-16 36
 RE: The whole setup is so obviously... true 06-03-09 15
   RE: The whole setup is so obviously... kingfish 06-03-09 16
       RE: The whole setup is so obviously... AyaK 06-03-09 19
           RE: The whole setup is so obviously... Estee 06-03-09 21
               RE: The whole setup is so obviously... AyaK 06-03-09 23
               RE: The whole setup is so obviously... SurvivorBlows 06-03-09 25
                   RE: The whole setup is so obviously... kingfish 06-03-09 26
   RE: The whole setup is so obviously... Snidget 06-03-09 18
       RE: The whole setup is so obviously... AyaK 06-03-09 20
       RE: The whole setup is so obviously... SurvivorBlows 06-03-09 24
           RE: The whole setup is so obviously... AyaK 06-04-09 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

06-02-09, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Humble%20Bumpkin Click to send private message to Humble%20Bumpkin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Yet another big red flag...."
So, I'm sitting here, watching the latest episode of this tripe, and realized that it's kind of strange that these "LIVE - COSTA RICA" segments are all showing it to be THE BLACKNESS of NIGHT... and the sun hasn't even set here in east Texas!

How do ya suppose that works???!!!!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-02-09, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Yet another big red flag...."
Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?

It's starting to get dark here in Pittsburgh, and the rainforest that area that they put them in probably lets in less light........

06-02-09, 09:14 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
If there was a smiley posted there, I might've agreed with you. However, geographic location is one thing that can't be dismissed as "just an opinion".....

(The sun was still high in the sky here, while it was pitch black straight south of us???!!!)

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-09 AT 09:21 PM (EST)

*checks map*

It is much more under Georgia than it is under Texas.

Additionally the closer you are to the equator the more your day stays at 12 hours light 12 hours dark. The farther from the equator (especially near the solstice) you get sunset a lot later the farther North you go.

So it could get dark there before it gets dark where you are.

http://www.arenal.net/costa-rica-sunrise-sunset-time-table.htm

06-02-09, 09:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
According to that site, sunset hovers around 5:30pm. That's over 2 hours of darkness before the show goes "live"........

kingfish 18933 desperate attention whore postings

06-02-09, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-02-09 AT 10:14 PM (EST)

CR is on CST. But CR is a very wired country, even in many rain-forest locations, tourists demand it, and tourism is the largest money maker (maybe with the exception of coffee) for CR. It does go out with regularity, though

To say that anywhere in CR is really remote is pretty much of a stretch. .

foonermints 13298 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 00:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Hold On!"
I was lost once in Costa Rica, and let me tell you, it was horrible! I wandered away from my lodge and was instantly devoured by crazy big plants and tree roots that grew so fast I swear they chased my Gucci sneakers deliberately into The Heart of Darkness.
I tottered around, dazed and disoriented and ready to die, until, by the Hand of God, I bumped into another, fancier lodge with larger rooms, free drinks and a 5 star Zagat rated buffet. Being so exhausted from my ordeal, I booked there instead, just to rest my frayed and bloodied nerves.

Worst 7½ minutes of my LIFE.

06-03-09, 08:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Hold On!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-09 AT 08:04 AM (EST)

Oh gosh, hidden memories are resurfacing, horrible memories.

Now I remember that I was once captured by Costa Rican Pygmies who tied me up with knots so complicated that I couldn't immediately untie myself. And I was despairing. It seemed that my fate was either to be boiled up in a cannibal's stew or fed to their pet jaguars.

But at the last moment, I remembered that I had credit cards in my wallet, and was able to put my deposit down for a four star rain forest vacation. With complimentary mango tangos (I think I saw the Fooners by the pool). It turned out that those short gentle people actually loved and worshipped me.

But it was scary for a while, I'll tell you boy!

When Janice purses her lips, does anyone else think what I think?

(Hemorrhoids? Sorry for that mental picture.)

foonermints 13298 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 08:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Some Things"
Are best if covered by a "smiley".

Keeper of the NoNiceGorn

Well, maybe not all smileys.

06-03-09, 00:42 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
Okay, if Costa Rica is on the same time zone as Chicago, then, the sunset is at 6:30 EST. That's still around 90 minutes since sunset until the show goes "live"......... plenty of time for the sky to get dark.

06-03-09, 08:25 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Okay, if Costa Rica is on the same time zone as Chicago"
then, the sunset is
at 6:30 EST. That's
still around 90 minutes since
sunset until the show goes
"live"......... plenty of time for
the sky to get dark.

Hey, that's funny stuff. I got somebody to actually look at a map!

Odd how we still have bright daylight here, long after the show has ended (8:30 pm - same time zone as Chicago), but it's already getting dark at 5:30 in Chi-town.

Maybe the sun speeds up over Costa Rica, then slows down over Texas.

06-03-09, 08:32 AM (EST)
12. "Postscript"

I should add that I really, really, REALLY want to believe that everything I see on television is TRUE and FACTUAL, just as much as anybody else in here does.... my apologies if I have cast any doubt in your hearts as to the trustworthiness of this program!

06-03-09, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Postscript"
Gosh golly gee, none of us here really believe reality TV is actual reality.

However given the location and the nearness to the equator as well as the published sunset times it does seem the sun could actually set at a different time there than at your house.

I do believe a heck of a lot of it is fake, but I do think the people in Costa Rica are right when they say the sun sets when it does. I mean, they should know, right?

Have you ever traveled significantly north or south of your home during June? The sun sets at very different times depending on how close to the equator/poles you are this time of year, really.

Go far enough north you can sunbathe at midnight this time of year, but at the equator the sun rises and sets about 12 hours apart all year round.

AyaK 10394 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Postscript"
Speidi's here-again, gone-again stunts cast more doubts about the "reality" of this program than the time of sunset does.

06-03-09, 04:23 PM (EST)
17. "Agree"

Agman2 2587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-11-16, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Postscript"
Have you considered decaf?

06-03-09, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Time zones"
Let's look at degrees of longitude.

Chicago: 87° 54' W longitude

Texas (not sure where you are):
Dallas: 96° 51' W
Abilene: 99° 41' W
Midland: 102° 11' W

So clearly it gets dark about an hour or so later in Texas than in Chicago.

Costa Rica:
San Jose: 84° 04' W

In other words, San Jose is located EAST of Chicago. How much east?

Saginaw, MI 83° 93' W
Lansing, MI 84° 54' W

Think of Costa Rica as being in the center of Michigan, because it would get dark at about the same time (although, as Snidget points out, it would actually get dark a little earlier because it's south of the Tropic of Cancer).

The absence of natural light during the live segments is thus not at all suspicious.

06-04-09, 06:04 AM (EST)
28. "Further hokiness"
Ignoring the fact that, once again, the sun was high in the bright blue sky here in Beaumont, TX... while the background was pitch black "LIVE IN COSTA RICA"...

we watched the 2nd episode last night, recorded because it was SO much more tolerable with Fast Forward (don't think we'll be suffering thru another one).... pardon my perspective, but, since I once dabbled in film production, I found the "task" of scrounging for wooden stars in the Closet of Icky DOOM to be quite telling. Much time was spent showing cutaway closeups of rats, spiders and snakes, but when a "celebrity" was in the darkened room, you could NOT see ANYTHING moving anyhere in there besides them. Closeup of a pile of snakes on a table, cut to a quick shot of a bewildered Speidi, quivering in the darkness (bag of feathers spills from ceiling), then a shot of some rats with somebody's hand right next to them. The walls and tables and other props were clearly bare and devoid of movement every time you could see the entire room- because there was NOTHING else alive in there!

Also noticed how a near-frantic Damien wouldn't let one of them go back in for a better look after the door was open ("No, you can't go back for more stars"). Hmmmm....

Plus, they certainly went to a lot of trouble to make fancy Industrial Strength (dare I say Resort Style) suspension bridges and stuff, just for these folks....

and they sure have some nicely terraced, stone walkways leading down to the water's edge, way out there in the middle of the jungle.....

06-04-09, 08:23 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Further hokiness"
Thanks for the location. Beaumont is at 94° 16' W, so the sunlight seems right.

BUT none of us are contending that there is much of anything else real about the show. The first American version of the show made the living conditions "too harsh" for these semi-pampered pets (which is why they had to bring in the shower and cosmetics on the fourth day -- because the cast threatened to walk), so they've even toned it down from there.

And I think Spencer and Heidi were scripted. I'm not sure that we could call this an unscripted show, because that seemed like nothing but a planned bid to draw attention to the show from the MTV-lovin' demographic that this show would like to attract.

06-04-09, 08:39 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Further hokiness"
Yep, I think most of the Speidi storyline is scripted, although there are a few reports of him not getting enough of the filler lines written for him from the twitter rumors which is pretty funny.

That the MTVers are such a huge part of the story line AND they happen to be running a mini-marathon of each week on MTV does sound suspicious. I'm guessing they need to keep Speidi on each show for the first week so the mini-marathon plays well enough to make people from MTV tune in for the second week.

Every reality TV show (well every TV show) is about the ratings and the audience share. NBC is as desperate for viewers and Speidi is to have every nanosecond of their life photographed.

I do think they are making things at least moderately uncomfortable/scary for the pampered set as you need some reasonably decent reaction shots and I don't think most of them are good enough actors to completely fake it. I do actually think they are in Costa Rica and not some sound stage completely indoors in LA. If nothing else importing the monkeys and that would be way more money than I think NBC would want to spend.

06-04-09, 08:56 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Further hokiness"
I'm sure they're in Costa Rica. If they weren't, it would be all over TMZ.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Further hokiness"
They're definitely in Costa Rica. They're filming at a 500-acre rainforest ecolodge in the Sarapiqui Rainforest Preservation Area. The production offices are based at a second nearby location.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

06-04-09, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Further hokiness"
The confessional area is very likely a nearby partial set designed to look like a nightzone, though: there's no way they're holding off on 90% of the private talks until just after midnight.

06-04-09, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Further hokiness"
I'm pretty sure the confessional zone is the small green outhouse-like shed we saw John opening the door of when he was trying to talk to Janice last night. And my guess is there's more than one.

06-04-09, 10:53 AM (EST)
35. "RE: Further hokiness"
That's an idea borrowed from JT Roth's "Survivor on teenage hormones" (description courtesy of Estee) show Endurance. He put a confessional shed right next to the living space, so that the kids didn't have to use up their limited "filming hours" traipsing off to the jungle or somewhere else for a confessional.

04-11-16, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
Hah Bumble, you got told.

04-11-16, 03:18 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Maybe, just maybe, Costa Rica is further east than you think it is?"
Wow, we're in the presence of someone who thinks they know everything about location and weather. Bill Nye the science guy is looking for an assistant. You should apply.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
Did you also notice that it doesn't rain on their campsite? (or on the challenge site)

When they were at the food competition, it was obviously raining, but nobody got wet. When they went to leave, they all put on rain gear for the walk home. When they got to the campsite, the fire was going, and they took off their coats. Not only does this jungle have lights, but a roof as well.

06-03-09, 03:30 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
This is an EPMB production, right?

He must think viewers (us) are real idiots who will watch just any old patched together BS survivor reality show, as long as there are ridiculous and/or outrageous characters to mock.

And he's right.

And swimming in money in his rightness.

06-03-09, 05:48 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
This is not an EPMB production. Burnett said years ago (back when the ABC version was done) that he would never be involved with something so fake.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-09, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
*considers the source*

*considers the just-completed Celebrity Apprentice season*

*gives up on the source*

06-03-09, 06:42 PM (EST)
23. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
Good point. That made The Hills look real.

You know, when "Stuttering John" got voted off the first season of this show back in 2003, leaving Melissa Rivers and Cris Judd, I figured Melissa would win.

Fortunately, because The Donald wasn't judging, she didn't.

06-03-09, 07:22 PM (EST)
25. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
>*considers the source*
>
>*considers the just-completed Celebrity Apprentice season*
>
>*gives up on the source*

LOL, this was before Burnett completely sold out and began doing things like Pirate Master and Audrina Patridge's upcoming show. Then again, he was already doing Combat Missions and beginning The Restaurant at the time

06-03-09, 09:40 PM (EST)
26. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
It's too much fun dumping on Burnett to quit just because he didn't do it. Details.

06-03-09, 04:42 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
I'm quite sure they have a heck of a lot more comfort than people on shows like Survivor do, and that the set is probably a lot more protected from the environment than a Survivor camp.

I do think they are sleeping outside and having a lot more hardship than they are used to, but I think they do have to be a lot nicer to them than they can to civilians.

I don't think they are really spending all their time indoors in the spa and eating full meals. I do think they have soap and shower facilities. You can make a camp pretty darn nice even if it is outside.

06-03-09, 05:50 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-09 AT 06:03 PM (EST)

In the original ABC version, they had to sleep outdoors in a camp, but they had an outdoor toilet and an outdoor shower. I remember the fights with Alana Stewart about cleaning up the shower after using it.

No digging holes with the shovel for these peeps!

Edited to add: Not to mention the time that Alana felt too lazy to walk all the way to the bathroom and peed next to the water supply. And I went back and reviewed some of my old summaries and learned that they didn't get the shower until day 4, as a luxury item -- but this time they appear to have started with it.

06-03-09, 07:17 PM (EST)
24. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
LAST EDITED ON 06-03-09 AT 07:33 PM (EST)

I can't speak to ongoing Speidi antics and NBC has done a remarkably crappy job of explaining basic things like the show's rules to viewers, but the I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! format has never claimed to be an authentic (for lack of a better word) Survivor-like camping situation.

I'm a Celebrity's campsite is a real campsite in the same way that Big Brother's house is a real house.

Yes, they're camping in a jungle terrain area, but it's not like the production folks just happened to throw some camping supplies in a random clearing and walk away -- they built a set of sorts, complete with some things like some mounted cameras, lights and some limited protection from the elements (I think the ABC version had some canopy tarps) and a single toilet (which NBC actually showed the celebrities mentioning in the premiere).

I believe the U.K. show is actually still using the exact same Austalian location that the ABC edition also used all these years later.

06-04-09, 00:20 AM (EST)
27. "RE: The whole setup is so obviously phony"
In the ABC edition, they started out with canopy tarps, but then Robin Leach and Melissa Rivers whined to the producers on behalf of the whole group on day 2, and the producers gave the cast actual sealed tents to sleep in on day 3 and the shower on day 4.

The problem with the constant rain on the ABC edition was that it discouraged the cast from interacting at any time other than when the producers forced them to interact. I can see why NBC might pick a drier environment for the second time around.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •