The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Temptation Island Everything (Protected)
Original message

texasgal1 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-28-02, 11:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail texasgal1 Click to send private message to texasgal1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
I am curious about what you guys think about the host and how he deals with the situations which arise on this show, and what you think he's thinking about them. More specifically:

1) Mark has this really sensitive, caring look on his face when he's at the girl's bonfire. Do you think it's an act or does he really feel bad for them?

2) The whole Shannon thing - does he think she's an idiot or does he feel bad for her?

3) What do you think of the stuff he says to the guys and girls during the bonfires? He has to fill a lot of awkward silences, but do you think he worsens the situation?

I love how he gets an amused look on his face whenever Nikkole calls Kristen "White Eyeshadow Girl." I personally think he likes the couple girls (minus shannon) more than the couple guys (except John). I also think he goes home and laughs at most of the contestants each night.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds... VioletM 01-29-02 1
 RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds... TheWanderer 01-29-02 2
   RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds... Breezy 01-30-02 3
   RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds... SurvivinDawg 01-30-02 4
       RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds... TVhurtsMyEyes 01-30-02 5
       The notes sticks 01-30-02 6
           RE: The notes MizSassy 01-30-02 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

VioletM 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-29-02, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VioletM Click to send private message to VioletM Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
I think it's a lot like how someone titled their post a while ago "Mark the Pot Stirrer". That's his job, so in spite of his seeming allied with the girls, it's what he has to do. If you really think about it, he does a pretty good job of it too. I'm torn between disliking him and admiring the way he carries the show and its heightened emotions. When he started hunting for the noes and reading Shannon's notes aloud, I thought "Boo on you!" But remember last year, when I-forgot-his-name told the cameras "This is my life we're talking about!" and the cameramamn retorted "The show IS your life now." That's it in a nutshell. They signed their right to privacy over to the show and they're paying for it. Mark probably has human side to him, but for someone getting paid to be the devil's advocate, he's sure doing a great job of it!
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

TheWanderer 267 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-29-02, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TheWanderer Click to send private message to TheWanderer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
What I don't understand, is why they (the show) didn't take Shannon's notes a bit farther. All they did was look for tehm and confiscate them. I was surprised the camera showed a close-up of one that had some foul language. Regardless, why didn't Markie-Mark call her out on it during "bonfire" or have her at a private session and then query John on whether he received notes or not. I wanted to see Shannon break down again in front of the camera and give her reasons for leaving the notes. I also wanted to hear more of them read aloud in full. It would make for some interesting TV. Maybe then, her boyfriend John would have a more negative reaction.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no prize winners on Temptation Island. That is, the only thing they walk away with is having had a nice vacation in a tropical setting, some new experiences and their relationship is either over or remains intact. So if Shannon andJohn were "disqualified" at this point in the game it really wouldn't matter. They really wouldn't lose anything. In fact, Shannon would actually win if they were both kicked off the show, as John wouldn't have sufficient time to take his "relationship" with Nayla any farther, or even get her contact information. I know, I know, I'm rambling. Maybe the producers felt that it would serve no purpose to read them aloud or to "out" Shannon.
I just don't get it.

Breezy 18379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-30-02, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
Mark should bring up the notes at the next girl's bonfire. Why wouldn't you call her out on it?

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-30-02, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
The impression I got was that Shannon was writing these notes for herself and didn't actually intend for John to get them (until after the show, perhaps).

Mark L. Walburg (Mark-El... hmmm, a relative of the Jor-El family from Krypton?!?!) may have talked to Shannon about it. They might be saving that for a future show, OR they might not have thought it enough to continue with. They may have shown it just to show how intrusive into the couples' most personal lives the cameras and hosts are willing to be.

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

TVhurtsMyEyes 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-30-02, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TVhurtsMyEyes Click to send private message to TVhurtsMyEyes Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Sweetener or Salt-in-the-Wounds?"
>The impression I got was that Shannon was writing these notes for herself and didn't actually intend for John to get them
(until after the show, perhaps)

If that was the case, then why would she be hiding them in
various spots in bathrooms, etc? The whole issue was that
she was trying to communicate with him when they aren't allowed
to. ;)

------------
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant

sticks 1165 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-30-02, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sticks Click to send private message to sticks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "The notes"
I think that Shannon was putting these notes in the bathroom of the poolside area where the singles were introduced. And it looked to me like there were different handwritings. I thought I heard that Shannon was advising John to vote off the girls that he was attracted to so he didn't have a hard decision to make later. That could explain why he took White Eye Shadow Girl on the date instead of Nayla.

I think Mark didn't call her on it, because really what could they do? Send them home? That wouldn't work. They wouldn't get the true test of their relationship and there definitely isn't time to bring in another couple. In a show where there is no prize, what could they use to punish them? Shannon probably wants to be disqualified at this point. I think the producers thought that the easiest and most affective way to deal with this situation is to stop the correspondence without embarassing anyone. I personally don't think they should have shown that bit in the first place because they knew that it would go unresolved. I guess they wanted to show more into Shannon's character, but when that character is pathetic, desperate, and delusional then why bother?

MizSassy 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-30-02, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MizSassy Click to send private message to MizSassy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The notes"
I think Shannon for sure was trying to get in touch with John b/c they showed her being reprimanded at the pool for holding the towel in front of her face and talking to him. She absolutely wanted him to FIND the notes b/c she HID them. If they were just for herself, they'd be under her cry pillow (next to his picture..lol)
As to why they showed the segment at all, I think is was to show her desperate side, since she is always Miz Confident at bonfires. They probably won't address the issue again, because we are down to the final dates and they didn't get kicked off for it. Again, I think that they just wanted to show she is desperate/confident.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •