The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Kid Nation Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-19-07, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Because unlike some people, I like to actually watch something before deciding if I was offended by it.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Tamena 09-19-07 1
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Snidget 09-19-07 2
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Estee 09-19-07 4
 Woohoo! moonbaby 09-19-07 3
 Editing 208: airtime math and othe... Estee 09-19-07 5
   RE: Editing 208: airtime math and ... Snidget 09-19-07 6
   RE: Editing 208: airtime math and ... Memaw 09-20-07 25
       RE: Editing 208: airtime math and ... Estee 09-20-07 27
           RE: Editing 208: airtime math and ... cipher5150 09-20-07 34
               Reairing first episode Snidget 09-20-07 37
           RE: Editing 208: airtime math and ... Memaw 09-21-07 41
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Snidget 09-19-07 7
 The longest first segment in RTV hi... Estee 09-19-07 8
   RE: The longest first segment in RT... Tamena 09-19-07 10
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Estee 09-19-07 9
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... byoffer 09-20-07 24
 If you do not love Jimmy moonbaby 09-19-07 11
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Estee 09-19-07 12
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... CTgirl 09-19-07 16
       RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Memaw 09-20-07 28
           I'm thinking zombiebaby 09-20-07 30
               RE: I'm thinking Memaw 09-21-07 38
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... michel 09-19-07 13
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... CTgirl 09-19-07 17
 Artificial reality. Estee 09-19-07 14
   RE: Artificial reality. Snidget 09-19-07 15
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... batts 09-19-07 18
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... mistyrose52 09-19-07 19
       RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... tweets 09-20-07 20
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Puffy 09-20-07 21
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Memaw 09-21-07 40
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... thndrkttn 09-20-07 22
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Snidget 09-20-07 23
       RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... syren 09-20-07 31
           RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... geg6 09-20-07 32
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Molaholic 09-20-07 26
   I missed "Back to You"???. mistyrose52 09-20-07 29
       RE: I missed "Back to You"???. Memaw 09-21-07 39
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Corvis 09-20-07 33
 RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... jbug 09-20-07 35
   RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coas... Snidget 09-20-07 36

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tamena 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-19-07, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tamena Click to send private message to Tamena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
LOL
Hubby is busting my chops cause I said I want to see the first episode tonight.
I have a feeling I'm going to regret it but watch I shall...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
But Estee...that isn't the American Way!

09-19-07, 06:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Not a problem. We all know how much I hate America.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Woohoo!"
I am excited to see something new-here's hoping that it won't get old fast!

09-19-07, 07:18 PM (EST)
5. "Editing 208: airtime math and other notes."
There are forty kids participating in this (probable) mess. I don't think we're getting much in the way of introduction shots. Early standouts will be just that, but a lot of the players in our little socio-political drama will have to wait for their first camera moment.

Also: to the best of our knowledge, there's no prize being handed out. There's every chance of seeing the kids herded into a town hall at the end of every episode and getting rid of whoever isn't contributing, but I don't think we're going for any kind of jackpot here. As such, spoilers and personality editing can't be viewed in the same light: this is closer to straight storytelling than most reality shows get, although we can still expect to see the usual amount of blatant distortion and out-of-sequence airings. This is a story about an attempt to found and run a community. Or it should be. No promises.

Which isn't to say that we won't have alliances. If they're creating a town, there's going to be town politics. (I'm expecting to see at least one mayoral election.) And someone has to clean the privies, so punishment details wouldn't be a shock.

Challenges? In a sense, the whole season is one long challenge: make this work. It wouldn't surprise me to see single-episode subplots in that direction, though: here's supplies to get a general store running with, now have one going within forty-eight edited minutes. Think about your average small town and the number of things that have to be done every day to make it work, even in a low-tech setting -- there's a lot of work to be done here. (I think the first major medical crisis beyond lots of self-hammered fingers is likely to be group exhaustion.)

And one big warning: after the initial round of 'How can you do something we don't approve of when we don't know if we approve of it or not!' screaming, the show was apparently held back from major critics prior to airtime. Metacritic doesn't have a single review linked. (Which hasn't stopped people from trashing the thing unseen on tv.com, which has a current average rating of 3.4 out of 10.) We're going in blind here.

Right now, the only real ratings possibility I can't see for this thing is 'one and done': after all the promotional work that was aired, CBS should give it a little time for the buzz to build. But 'two and out' could still happen.

And if it is 'one and done', we can blame MattBen.

09-19-07, 07:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Editing 208: airtime math and other notes."
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-07 AT 07:36 PM (EST)

Against my better judgment I am watching tonight.
That there hasn't been much out to the reviewers can be a really bad thing.

I think you are right trying to get coherent story lines of 40 people can turn out really bad, anyone know how many episodes were planned?

ETA: Futon critic says planned for 13 episodes.

Memaw 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-20-07, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Memaw Click to send private message to Memaw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Editing 208: airtime math and other notes."
<snipping>
"to the best of our knowledge, there's no prize being handed out. There's every chance of seeing the kids herded into a town hall at the end of every episode and getting rid of whoever isn't contributing, but I don't think we're going for any kind of jackpot here"

Reponse:
May be there's no prize at the end of the reality show, but in surfing channels on my end last night, I did see one child on the telephone with her mother telling her that she had just won an amount of money, which I can't remember the exact amount right now, it was either $10,000.00 or $20,000.00! She told her mother that the other kids chose her to be the winner of this gold star and that it was worth thousands!

Also,if I remember correctly, I think they said each week someone will have a chance to win this "gold star" worth thousands of dollars!!! And you know what, that's all it took for one of the older children to gain some more incentive into wanting to do better for the group during the upcoming weeks. Said he wanted to be the next one to be voted in by the others to be given a gold star that worth thousands.

09-20-07, 09:38 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Editing 208: airtime math and other notes."
In my defense, I wrote that before the show had aired. None of the promotional segments had mentioned anything about prize money, and there wasn't a single review of the show to glean for information.

But yeah -- I called that partially wrong. There still may not be a jackpot, but we definitely have an earn-as-you-go in place. It's just a pretty flawed system, starting with the Town Council's seeming inability to make any money.

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Editing 208: airtime math and other notes."
The Washington Post review said that, in addition to the $20,000 gold star the kids can win, that each kid was "paid" $5000 for participating in the show - hence those pesky labor law issues. The reviewer also presumed that those that were pre-selected by the producer to be on the town council were not eligible to receive the gold stars - which I presume to mean they received more than the $5000 everyone else did.

I wonder if poor Jimmy will still get his $5000...

Does anyone know if/when it is being re-aired?

09-20-07, 08:21 PM (EST)
37. "Reairing first episode"
On Saturday is what they said during Survivor. Probably won't be a regular thing, but and extra first show may help build an audience.

09-21-07, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Memaw Click to send private message to Memaw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Editing 208: airtime math and other notes."
No need to defend yourself here with me. Everyone's entitled to run off at the mouth every now and then. I'm a good one for doing it all the time.

09-19-07, 07:41 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
The host: Um Jiffy Pop and someone had a love child?

09-19-07, 08:20 PM (EST)
8. "The longest first segment in RTV history."
Gah. Did they have that few sponsors? I kept waiting to spot the 'this hour brought to you commercial-free by...' graphic.

Not much time to comment in, so:

Too many standard reality show elements so far.

The editing is presenting solidly one-dimensional personalities. Part of that is the size of the cast, the rest is poor editing.

The host should have been a kid too.

Tamena 174 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 08:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tamena Click to send private message to Tamena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The longest first segment in RTV history."
I just can't do it...
there's 8 minutes left and I had to leave the room *sigh*
imho I don't see this lasting long. I'm going to be very interested to see what the general public says tomorrow.

and those kids are about the most annoying kids I've seen in a long time - and I have 2 of my own, blond females one of whom is a teen, I KNOW annoying
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

09-19-07, 08:29 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Sophie has just rediscovered one of the great economic principles: the dance hall girl gets the money.

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I thought of you when I saw that scene. I wasn't on-line, but wondered what you might say. Thanks for not wasting the opportunity.

(I will assume that you have more rhythm than Sophie (Sophia?)

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "If you do not love Jimmy"
you have no heart What a little cutieface.

Mkay, don't want to spoil it for any of the other eight people watching.

Will watch this again next week.

09-19-07, 09:00 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
LAST EDITED ON 09-19-07 AT 10:02 PM (EST)

O-kay...

Let's try to digest a bit of that megadose. This is just a few impressions: be-all and end-all will have to wait until we see whether it was canceled or not.

The Town Council is in a rough position. Right now, they have absolutely no real authority: they can't levy punishments, they can't enforce work orders, and they can't keep the older kids on a leash. (They also can't award themselves the gold star without inciting a riot, so they're being shortchanged.) This city needs a sheriff and lawbook, very badly.

Obviously this is a very artificial experience. The merchants aren't worrying about where to get replacement goods and how long the next stage has been delayed. We also haven't heard a word about where spent money goes. (And is there a kid who knows enough to hang onto those buffalo nickels?) And as far as salary gets paid out, is it once per cycle? Per week? Day? I'm guessing daily -- even the upper class has to save up for things.

We're not seeing a lot of character development, and that includes the Council: did you see Anjay? Sure you did. But did you hear from him? Not much. Right now, we have a worker (Sophia), a budding politico who might actually do some good (Michael, don't bet on it, and the tween crushes have already started), and a potential troublemaker (Greg). In particular, we're not hearing much from the youngest kids.

The casting department did its job in one category: thank gawd we've got farm kids. As long as there's people who know how to take care of and resource the animals, they'll be in better shape -- although it looks like that's going to lead to a debate next week.

Did we really need challenges and 'districts'? Sure, stratify the society and get the conflict going, but we already had some -- and just as much to the point, they shouldn't be sticking certain kids in jobs they're not suited for. Just for starters, the youngest shouldn't be the heavy laborers. And the only reason they started with a single outhouse was to force that decision at the end.

The challenge outfits are jarring: the day-to-day wear looks a lot more suited to the show. And I love the sheer number of hats, not to mention how well they're being worn.

In one sense, the show might work a lot better if the gold star just led to a small in-show luxury (say, a $5.00 credit for the town stores) and they found out about the 20k when they got home. As-is, it's going to be major trouble.

The lack of sponsors was very visible. Sure, maybe so much happened that they needed the extra airtime (and this may be one of the all-time series when it comes to DVD secret scenes), but most of what I got was CBS in-house and a little bit for Maybelline -- out of about four minutes of commercials. This may change if we get a next week -- but right now, it's a weird sign, and I'm not sure how to read it.

At some point, we're going to get a switch in the Town Council.

Poor Jimmy. Yeah, it took a lot of courage to come there and stay there, but it takes a fair amount to walk out in the face of thirty-nine peers applying pressure. Let no one apply an Osten label to him: he's just eight years old. Osten only acted like he was six.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
When I first saw the gold star I thought that it would be like a sheriff's badge. I like the idea for incentive but don't like the $20,000 attached to it. It doesn't fit with the theme and the kids ages.

Casting farm kids was smart; I hope that not too many of them are picky eaters! (I did see one girl eating a pickle for breakfast!)

The lack of sponsors was very noticeable. I kept on waiting for a break. If they don't have more sponsors next week, I wouldn't expect the show to last too long.

I loved Jimmy and thought Laurel was great with all the homesick kids. She has a talent that a lot of adults don't have (and she ended up a laborer!)

Summertime by Sharnina

09-20-07, 09:40 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
<snipping>
When I first saw the gold star I thought that it would be like a sheriff's badge. I like the idea for incentive but don't like the $20,000 attached to it. It doesn't fit with the theme and the kids ages.

Response
Of course it does! Do you know how much it cost for a college education nowadays? If these children had the gull and will power to want to be on a reality show such as this, in being able to get such a hands on expericence in trying to make a successful nation, where they are currently residing, don't you think they are going to want to go to college someday, to possibly move on and try to make the world they live in a better place?

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "I'm thinking"
that most of these kids are doing the reality show with hopes of gaining an acting job.

09-21-07, 10:10 AM (EST)
38. "RE: I'm thinking"
That might be the kids "parents thinking" of all of it, but it's my thinking that the kids are really probably in it for the "adventure" of it all.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 09:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I'm still worried some of them could get seriously injured (I can't believe they have them cooking) but it had its moments. The challenge for wages wasn't fair for the 2 groups of younger kids but it was fun to see everyone encourage the last team to finish to have the town reward, although you have to be naïve to think they really finished with only 10 seconds left. Not with that TV twist they had to be dying to use! I also liked their enthusiasm when they opened the stores.

That kid Jared had a lot of airtime for someone who wasn't involved directly in any plot.

And some comments that, in the mouth of kids were just funny:

Taylor: "I'm a beauty queen, I don't do dishes."

Lauryn: "I have my own beliefs and no one is ever going to make me change them."

Sophia: "Here are the three dance moves you'll ever need to know."

Anyone else had some favorites kids and quotes?

I'm not sold but I will watch next week, I guess.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-07, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Not only cooking, but cooking on what appeared to be a wood stove! (Don't tell me there wasn't an adult in that room monitoring the fire.)

My favorite quote was the litte boy who said, "There's not President Bush, there's nuttin'." LOL

09-19-07, 09:22 PM (EST)
14. "Artificial reality."
There was a town named Bonanza City in New Mexico. However...

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/bonanzacity.html

So at best, this is a rebuild based off pictures and the original town plan. And regardless, it's a set.

09-19-07, 09:40 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Artificial reality."
I figured it probably wasn't what was left from the 1800's.

Given that any standing ghost town would be in bad enough shape that it would be way too hazardous for the kids (falling through floor boards) and would be too hard on the historical buildings.

Makes sense they would have to rebuild a town.

batts 1725 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-19-07, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I watched some of it. But 'Deal or No Deal' was on, and the guy had 1,000,000 picked in his briefcase, but sold out early.

I couldn't believe that little girl was dancing for nickels. All for the lvoe of a bike. Somebody tell me she wasn't dancing for money at age 10???????

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-19-07, 11:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I had seen a short quip on E-Tonight, with the council stating that there WERE indeed adults on set at all times. That included, of course, the camera guys, but also a nurse, and a few others who kept them out of harm's way.

My first thought, if I had not known that, would have been, what the heck? Especially with the wood stove, and then all of them sleeping alone, in a far away place, at night. God only knows what could be lurking out there!! I live in the desert, and I would NEVER sleep alone out there!! Not to mention sending my 9 year old to sleep with a group of teen strangers!

I don't think it will last-mostly for lack of entertainment. It was a bit touching in parts. The little guy who went home, and the little guy with the backed-up colon! Only kids can say and do things like that, and completely leave you helpless.

But I just don't think the premise of this show is all that great, and I wonder about parents who'd consider sending any child below the age of 15 away with a group of mixed ages and sexes. Must be some good money in it for everyone. And a LOT of contengencies in the contracts. Guess that's why Little Jimmy and anyone else who wants to, can go home at the council meetings.

I, too, didn't like the way they handled the 20K. But this is all new to everyone, just like the first season of Survivor, and that show has had tweaks here and there, so who knows? But I seriously doubt we'll see another season, if many other episodes of this one.

tweets 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-20-07, 00:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tweets Click to send private message to tweets Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
    A tad boring. But I did wind up watching all of it over that new Kelsey Gramer/Particia Heaton sitcom "Back To You." It's gotten good reviews. Is there a grand prize on Kid Nation? I just wish Survivor had as few commercials as this show did.

Puffy 6571 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 01:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I enjoyed the show a lot! I saw a couple of the kids and their parents on "Ellen," and they did have adult counselors with them during the filming.

I admire the maturity of those kids! Not many commericals, but why complain about that? I'll definitely watch the series.

By the way, I was surprised that they gave the gold star to Sophia, considering that she dissed the Town Council. I'd rather have seen Michael, the eloquent speech-maker, receive the star.

©Snidget Creations, 2007

09-21-07, 10:20 AM (EST)
40. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
"By the way, I was surprised that they gave the gold star to Sophia, considering that she dissed the Town Council. I'd rather have seen Michael, the eloquent speech-maker, receive the star."

response:
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one!

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-20-07, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I watched and I loved it! And coming from someone who doesn't have kids nor is planning on having any kids that's big.

Before it even began, I asked my DH if we had kids, would you let them do this? He said "Not a chance in hell. The parents who let their kids do this are just big DAWs; those beauty pageant type parents." Imagine his delight when Taylor showed up.

I too don't like the idea of the $20,000 attached to the star. I think $1000 or even $5000 would have been a much more reasonble number and the kids would have worked just as hard for it.

I am not a real sentimental person, but holy heck, there were times I wanted to reach the tv screen and hug some of those kids. The little one especially.

09-20-07, 08:46 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
See I don't mind the 20K, that is an amount that could really be helpful with the kids future. The difference between college and not, or getting a decent car or not if they work instead of college.

They may work as hard for 1K, but can they really do anything with it afterward?

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I thought I heard the host say something about it being for their future, or an account for the future...or something. I might re-watch just to get to that part, where he is telling her that there is 20k attached to her star and see what it is he actually said.

What?

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
Yes, he told her she could use the money for her future and, when she called home, to discuss it with the parental unit. This particular child is close to college age and, I'm sure, it will come in pretty handy, but won't come close to paying for the whole thing.

For the much younger ones, parental units should invest it in an education IRA or a 529 plan and, with the income it will accrue by the time they hit college age, it will pay for a large chunk of the entire cost.

For the 9 and 10 year olds, they could potentially win a free college education if the parental units have half a brain.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
LAST EDITED ON 09-21-07 AT 00:38 AM (EST)

OK, so we've got a juvie version of Survivor, complete with tribes, buffs, a Jiffy-wannabe (and I agree with a previous poster - the host should have been a kid..) and reward challenges.

And on that reward challenge ... what if they took the TV, only to have Greg say "hey, this is 1885; we don't even had radio yet, the first TV broadcast is a couple of generations in the future, and besides, the nearest electicity is over in a little berg called Los Angeles, only six days away by Wells Fargo (not the bank) -- but enjoy!"

Promos vs. what we see -- Com'on, did anybody really think there would be zero adults out there? This is See-B-S, remember? Another myth shattered -- no flippen way were these kids just "participants/contestants" They were absolutely performers.

Also -- the lack of California or New York kids ... those states have child labor laws that better define "performer" - and protect the child as a resident, not where the production is done, so the various union/work/pay scale rules apply.

No commercials for the first 40+ minutes... not even another one of those annoying Verison-guy-in-a-bucket or Fred Flintstone/Jed Clampett/Captian Kirk-uses-Geico gems? Advertisers being that skittish just doesn't bode well for this little venture.

The Gold Star - yep, it should have been for some little reward on the island in town, and then, at the end, reveal the $20K fact. This puts way too much pressure on the Town Council, and I see an opportunity for some major (if not literal) arm bending coming from the two thugs older boys.

As to questions about laws/sheriffs, etc. - I remember seeing a promo with some kid shouting "You're under arrest!" and reaching to put somebody's hands behind their back... but then, this is See-B-S.

Oh, and Buffalo Nickles didn't come out until 1913, so the 'real pioneers' of 1885 Bonanza City didn't use them. (They would have had "V Nickels" - started in 1883; and "Shield Nickels" - issued 1867-1883).

Shield Nickel 1867-1883
'V' Nickel 1883-1912

Another Slice of Life hurling your way. 2007 Summer Siggie celebration

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-20-07, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "I missed "Back to You"???."
Dang!!! Oh well. That's what I get for not subscribing to TV Guide. Although I always look before I leap, I swear, I did NOT see that on my monitor.

Anyway-just a thought here on the council. I'm thinking that they may have a separate reward at the end that isn't being spoken of-that thing of which we do not speak?? After all, they were flown in separately from the others, and are pretty much 'above the rest'. There may be something in it for them that no one but the host, and maybe they know about...

After thinking it all over, I actually decided, just like after my first time of watching "Forrest Gump", that this isn't such a bad concept afterall. I think I will continue to watch and/or Tivo it or the others that I'm missing.

It really could end up being interesting. I see nowhere that they are being used or abused. Sure, they are having their usual emotional separation anxieties. And we are all feeling horrible for them! We wouldn't have a heart if we didn't. But they do have the choice to leave, so that helps cover that window.

Once it gets going, and we know more about what is really going on, it could have some value on TV, maybe even society. These kids could actually teach us all a thing or two about how to get along, take the bullies in stride, and cook up a batch or two of biscuits without a recipe book and/or a box of instant whatever attached!! Looking forward to it!

09-21-07, 10:16 AM (EST)
39. "RE: I missed "Back to You"???."
"Once it gets going, and we know more about what is really going on, it could have some value on TV, maybe even society. These kids could actually teach us all a thing or two about how to get along, take the bullies in stride, and cook up a batch or two of biscuits without a recipe book and/or a box of instant whatever attached!! Looking forward to it!"

response:
AMEN! Me too!

Corvis 3116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-20-07, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
About the lack of commercials - the local CBS affiliates weren't given any commercial time from CBS. Everything was national commercials.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
I got a phone call interruption!
Which did they keep? the tv or the toilets?

09-20-07, 01:13 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Kid Nation Episode #1 East Coast Update Thread."
The toilets

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •