The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Would you let your kids be on this show?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Kid Nation Forum (Protected)
Original message

Ellehcar71 163 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-25-07, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ellehcar71 Click to send private message to Ellehcar71 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Would you let your kids be on this show?"
Count me as one not offended.....but would I actually let my girls be on it? My initial thought is "No way!" First of all, I would miss them way too much (I'm a baby!) and I would constantly worry - even though it seems pretty safe. When I watch, I am just shocked at how many parents let their little (8 & 9 y.o.) kids go! The 12-and 13-year-olds? That's an age where I can understand sending them off - I'll probably be searching for a place that can take them for 80 days!

Now, my 8-yr-old loves the show, and keeps saying, "I want to be on Kid Nation! Can I try out?" She actually knows Mallory on the show - they go to the same school! So, she thinks, if Mallory did it, so can I!

Your thoughts?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Would you let your kids be on t... tribephyl 09-25-07 1
   RE: Would you let your kids be on t... CantStandToLook 09-25-07 2
       RE: Would you let your kids be on t... kidflash212 07-10-16 11
   RE: Would you let your kids be on t... Snidget 09-25-07 3
       RE: Would you let your kids be on t... Ellehcar71 09-25-07 4
           RE: Would you let your kids be on t... Corvis 09-26-07 5
   RE: Would you let your kids be on t... mysticwolf 09-26-07 7
       RE: Would you let your kids be on t... tribephyl 09-27-07 8
 RE: Would you let your kids be on t... mysticwolf 09-26-07 6
   RE: Would you let your kids be on t... Snidget 09-27-07 9
 RE: Would you let your kids be on t... Blambo 09-27-07 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tribephyl 12163 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-25-07, 06:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
I do not have kids. That alone should disqualify me from making my answer known. (Or even prevent me from having an opinion in the first place.)
However...
If I had children, who were interested in going on this show, I would caution against it.
Not because of the show itself. I tend to believe that what the producers are offering to these children is an invaluable lesson in self-worth. And if it were just an exercise in "community-building", I'd be all for it.
However, my trepidation comes from this whole shebang being broadcast on network television.
Because, once they're on TV these children become celebrities. Whether they like it or not.
Most children, even the strong willed ones, cannot survive in the choking embrace of America's need for celebrity worship.
For every Jodie Foster, there are thousands of Paris Hiltons, Michael Jacksons and Danny Bonaduces. Children, who CANNOT handle the hollywood hype machine.
They may survive 40 days in the desert. But they stand no chance (okay a 1 in 1000 chance) in the harsh environment of an america bent on celebrity.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-07, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
The tribe makes a good point.

kidflash212 4873 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
Cantstandtolook at what?

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-07, 07:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
Also don't have kids but the celebrity culture issues after being on the show would be more of a concern for me than what would happen while they are out there being filmed.

1) Their name is out there and should they ever run into trouble there will be much more hoopla about it than a "regular" kid. How much it will be is hard to predict, but I'm sure sometime in the next few years we will see "former Kid Nation star arrested for...".

2) Reactions of the kids at school even if the kid just wants to go home and be normal and never be on TV again. They will get attention for being on the show from their peers. While a lot of that may be positive some kids are not going to like that they are getting more attention than they did the year before and that can cause problems.

3) Concerns over what rights to the kids after the show the producers may demand. Who owns the kids image, for how long? That sort of thing. Sometimes producers like to try to have a lot of control over the "product" and is what they demand in exchange for being on TV worth it?

4) What if they are a break out star? There is always the chance this may get other offers from this. Do you risk managing their career with the problems that can come from the conflicts of interest that may arise or do you risk finding a professional to do it?

5) Is the child strong enough to go through the everyone loves me, everyone forgot me roller coaster? Do they have something to fill them up that will be enough once the spotlight moves on? Or the converse, can they have a sense of humor about being "the kid who..." for the rest of their lives. Some people really hate being pigeonholed as "that kid" and don't always handle that well. You don't know what will be the "memorable moment" ahead of time.

Ellehcar71 163 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-25-07, 09:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ellehcar71 Click to send private message to Ellehcar71 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
Those are all great points. So then I wonder, what were these parents thinking? Yes, it is a valuable learning experience, but couldn't they get that at summer camp? Is it about the money? Fame? At this point in the reality genre, we're not seeing a lot of breakout stars. (BTW - that's totally why DD wants to be on it - she wants to be a star - we tell her she can be a star in her school, church, etc...) So I'm not really looking for advice - she can dream on, but I am trying to figure out who would let their kids go on this show and why.

Anyone with kids here think they would?

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-26-07, 02:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
I have kids and I might let them do it. It depends on the kid. My girls are all too young, but I could see letting the oldest one do it in five or six years (when she's 11 or 12). I don't think those eight year olds ought to be on the show. That's too young, but 11 and up is okay. However, it really depends on the kid. Right now, projecting forward, I think my oldest daughter would be mature enough and self confident enough to handle the experience and get a lot out of it. I think a strong sense of self is necessary to deal with all of the stuff that's involved with a show like that. And a strong family. I know we have the second - and I think my daughter will still have the first in a few years.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 10:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
That is certainly something to take into consideration. Among other things you'd need to talk about, particularly if you live in an area where filming/modeling is a major business, is how they'd feel going back into obscurity.

And, if you don't want your child to go back into obscurity when it's done? There's no way in H-ll I'd support your child going on the show.

Agman made me a pack.
Generic "you's". I doubt sincerely that you're a parent that wants to "use" your daughter.

tribephyl 12163 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-07, 05:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
And it's funny that you brought that up because I hadn't even thought of the "stagemom" aspect. It could become a real mess, casting-wise, when considering subsequent seasons of this show.

From what I've heard, the producers where given the greenlight on future series before the show even aired.
With the current ratings being so good I hope they may be able to get 2 more seasons out before they start running into the showbiz kids.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-07, 10:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
Without reading other reactions, yet. I'd say watch the show. Talk to her about what happens and how she'd deal with what comes up. Not just how she'd deal with it, but how she'd feel about it. Have her spend a night or two, or even a week, if possible, with a relative or friend, or at camp - where she's not allowed to contact you in any way.

If she still wants to do it, I'd let her try out. They have to spread their wings sometime. Nine (her age next year) is young, but it's a wing-spreading that they won't get anywhere else. It's a quasi-protected arena. There are adults there. We just don't see them on screen.

She may be a better judge of what she's ready for than you are. This was the first season. Jimmy knew himself well enough to take himself out, once he knew what was involved. Any other kids coming in in subsequent seasons at least have an idea what to expect. Let her judgement guide her and let her know that you trust her.

It could be the best lesson and gift that you can ever teach, or give.

Agman made me a pack.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-07, 06:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
I agree that opportunities to discover self-reliance and leadership and grow as a person are good things for kids to have experience with and so sending a kid to something like this I think can be very positive. It does sound like from the interviews I head in the lead up to the show that many kids did learn a lot of lessons about life and themselves.

My only concerns were mostly about the handling of it being on TV. Fame can be a very heady thing and it can be difficult to deal with and making sure the child and the family are ready for those challenges is something that I think needs to be taken into consideration.

Blambo 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-27-07, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blambo Click to send private message to Blambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Would you let your kids be on this show?"
I do have a child (too young at this point) and as far as letting her be on a show like this - I have nothing against the premise or idea behind the show, so mostly that would depend on exactly what the "contract" said...
This is going to sound crazy, but I think the thing that would bother me most would be that it is too scripted. I think the premise would be OK (perhaps a little boring) if they would just let the kids be who they are. A lot of the things going on seem planned - and if it were my child I would hate the idea of them being goaded into a situation by a director (like the girl in the chicken hut, or the bully who is exacting 'revenge', etc.)

I would also feel icky if my kid got edited in a way that made her seem "undesirable" - like pagaent queen and her friends...so i am probably not cut out to send my kid on something like this. I would be very worried what she would do and say on TV!

As far as the show in general, my daughter likes it so one redeeming quality is we can watch it together. But I find a lot of the kids annoying and things are just too contrived.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •