The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Offended/not offended?: premiere."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Kid Nation Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-20-07, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Offended/not offended?: premiere."
Status, reason, and optional screams: sign in, please.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Not offended. Estee 09-20-07 1
   Totally agree moonbaby 09-20-07 5
       RE: Totally agree Tahj 09-20-07 11
           Not Offended byoffer 09-20-07 15
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... geg6 09-20-07 2
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... brvnkrz 09-20-07 3
 Not offended but zombiebaby 09-20-07 4
   RE: Not offended but jbug 09-20-07 13
       RE: Not offended but Road Kill 09-20-07 20
           RE: Not offended but foonermints 09-20-07 21
   RE: Not offended but Prof_ Wagstaff 09-20-07 14
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... syren 09-20-07 6
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... Molaholic 09-20-07 7
   RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... Estee 09-20-07 8
   RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... geg6 09-20-07 9
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... Snidget 09-20-07 10
   RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... jme01 09-23-07 28
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... Tahj 09-20-07 12
 Horribly Offended!. foonermints 09-20-07 16
   RE: Horribly Offended!. geg6 09-20-07 17
   RE: Horribly Offended!. Snidget 09-20-07 18
   RE: Horribly Offended!. Tahj 09-20-07 19
       I was impressed moonbaby 09-20-07 22
           RE: I was impressed Tahj 09-21-07 23
               RE: I was impressed foonermints 09-21-07 24
   Favorite quotes PhoenixMons 09-22-07 26
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... mysticwolf 09-21-07 25
 RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... Sunny_Bunny 09-22-07 27
   RE: Offended/not offended?: premie... Memaw 09-25-07 29
 not offended - 3rd episode kingfish 10-04-07 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

09-20-07, 08:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Not offended."
My main worry right now -- which surprised me a little -- is diet. It's one thing to put adults on the EPMB grain-and-drain, but it's more vital to keep things balanced for kids. They do need more protein than what we're seeing, fresh fruit would be nice, and veggies should show up somewhere.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Totally agree"
Not offended and also hoping the kids' nutritional resources improve. I was wondering about the grocery store but since the meals are cooked for everyone at once I guess you couldn't go in there and buy a steak

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-20-07, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Totally agree"
It's only 40 days. It's not like it's going to arrest their development. Besides, the diet is probably pretty close to what kids were getting in 1885.

Tribe rocked my sig!

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Not Offended"
I think that the kids were educated before the show started. They were taught something about sleeping safely, not wandering away, how to take care of the stoves, how to feed themselves.

I say this only because I believe they do this for other reality shows (like the Survivor contestants always get trained on the dangers of wherever they will be) and because one kid last night said "I worry about getting enough protein in my diet", which didn't sound like something any 10-yr old I have ever met would say.

I think the kids will be fine. Miss their family prolly, and there will be many confrontations, but that is just life. No one will be at risk.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
Totally not offended and cannot imagine for the life of me why anyone would be.

Based on what I saw last night, I love, love, love this show.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
Not offended. So far, so good and I'll keep watching for now.

RIP, Bill Walsh

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Not offended but"
pretty bored. Seemed to me like any stereotypical reality game show only with kids.

I will try again next week to see how it goes but I need to be entertained.

One more of J
Slice's Awesome Creations!

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Not offended but"
I need to be entertained.

just trying to help

Road Kill 1101 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-20-07, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Road%20Kill Click to send private message to Road%20Kill Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Not offended but"

wwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Not offended but"
So what you're saying is that you'd give up TV for an outhouse?

Prof_ Wagstaff 4196 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to send private message to Prof_%20Wagstaff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Not offended but"
pretty bored. Seemed to me like any stereotypical reality game show only with kids.
I will try again next week to see how it goes but I need to be
entertained.

I was pretty bored too. My 8yr old really liked it, but my 11yr old got up in the middle to go take her bath.
We'll give it another shot next week.

No, not offended.

A JSlice of Summer
When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.-- Sinclair Lewis (1885-1951)

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
I loved this show. I thought I would like it, but I think Jared took it over the top for me.

What?

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
Not offended. More bemused than anything --

As already identified, the nutrition (or lack thereof) does concern me. But I'm guessing that some where along the line a couple of the farm kids will be asked to 'take care' of some of the chickens, or maybe a goat (there were some little 'uns, no good for milk production) -- and let's not forget about the Great Wabbit Hunters.

I must wonder, however, just what kind of pre-production preparation the kids (and their parents) were given. We know that the Survior castaways get training on basic survivor techniques (identifying edible/poisionus plants, etc).

And (again) what about school? I believe this was filmed in April/May -- school still in session for most kids (not to mention prime Testing windows).

09-20-07, 10:45 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
and let's not forget about the Great Wabbit Hunters

I've already given up on the Great Wabbit Hunters. It's nice to see the ambition, but homid vs. lapine when the homid is armed with a rock is a automatic victory for the lapine. If they get within four feet of a hit, it means the jackrabbit was in a teasing mood.

09-20-07, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-07 AT 10:54 AM (EST)

The previews for next week showed some controversy brewing over killing a chicken. So...I'm assuming protein will eventually be part of the picture.

I'm sure the kids got some preparation.

As for the school thing, I read that it occurred when they were out of school. Of course, that varies so widely from state to state and district to district that that could mean anything.

Regardless, don't you think this is pretty damn educational? If I had a kid, I'd rather he/she do this and actually learn something about life than the worthless learning how to take a multiple choice test that is pretty much all the students we get here know how to do once they graduate high school. NCLB = ECLB with no life, economic, verbal, written, or practical skills.

Edited because I left out a couple of the other necessary skills it seems NCLB would rather they not learn.

"And now the whole nation -- pulpit and all -- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception." Mark Twain

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-07 AT 11:00 AM (EST)

Not offended.

1) Even though there are no adults doing the cooking, etc., I am sure that all the medical and safety stuff the insurance company would have required were in place so there were adults to cover all the "if something happened" issues.

2) Kids get injured, I know as a society we seem to think we can childproof the world. We can't. As long as the neded safety issues were handled (and something I saw/read seemed to indicate they were taught enough to be able to use the wood stove my Mother learned to cook on when she was their ages) you've done what you need to do. I would bet adults (probably someone in addition to the camera person) was on hand for all cooking or other "dangerous" chores.

"Let the little one-eyed bastards play."

3) Diet, I did hear canned peaches mentioned and when they were messing with the cans I think I saw vegetables. I'm not sure what canning techniques are period, but a diet at that time when first settling a place would mostly be preserved food. They have protein available (chickens, goats, the eggs and the milk) and it seems at least one of the farm/ranch kids will figure out the rest. As long as they are available I think they are covered, and there may be something in that instruction book about scurvy or other such diet issues.

4) I'm not sure about child labor issues, it doesn't seem worse than any of the farm kids that age I knew with feed the animals/weed the garden, etc work schedules. Now the being filmed=work thing may be and issue, but with that many kids and the amount of work there is the actual chore/day time per kid should not be excessive.

5) Even with please stay peer pressure, that they are routinely offered the opportunity to leave is a good thing, IMO.

jme01 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-23-07, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jme01 Click to send private message to jme01 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
>LAST EDITED ON 09-20-07
>4) I'm not sure about child
>labor issues, it doesn't seem
>worse than any of the
>farm kids that age I
>knew with feed the animals/weed
>the garden, etc work schedules.
>Now the being filmed=work thing
>may be and issue, but
>with that many kids and
>the amount of work there
>is the actual chore/day time
>per kid should not be
>excessive.
>
I read somewhere that this was filmed in New Mexico where the child labor laws are a bit different. Also, it was called a "Documentary" instead of a contest to get around some of the legal issues.

Another point that has been making the rounds is that this was not an abandoned town, but a western tourist attraction that was modified for teh show.

09-20-07, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
Not offended in the least. This reminds me a lot of my boy scout camp experiences, only with girls this time. I like this show so far.

Tribe rocked my sig!

09-20-07, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Horribly Offended!."
I SO wanted a huge grizzly bear to jump out of the second box.
Favorite Quotes:
Sophie: "I feel like I'm surrounded by a whole lot of dumb people."
ScienceBoy: "That would like, hurt your colon. A lot."

tell me about it

09-20-07, 03:08 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Horribly Offended!."
>ScienceBoy: "That would like, hurt your
>colon. A lot."

I about fell off my chair when he said that. LOL!

I also immediately thought, now there's a boy who most likely had toilet training issues. Well, I take that back. He probably didn't. But his mom probably did. You know, one of those ones that keeps a chart of bowel movements on the refrigerator door. LOL!

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Horribly Offended!."
That is a bit far south for Grizzleys. You wouldn't want the poor bear to be alone if it escaped.

Cougars live in the area as do black bears, but I think the cougar would be the way to go.

09-20-07, 04:15 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Horribly Offended!."
Sophie's an adult in an adolescent's body. Seriously, I'd follow her anywhere.

Tribe rocked my sig!

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-07, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "I was impressed"
She's very take charge, seems very articulate and intelligent. The Greg kid disturbs me. Perhaps that's just the edit and he will earn a gold star in the future. But sheesh- it's like they said "OK, now we need the bully, cast HIM, he's perfect!"

09-21-07, 11:14 AM (EST)
23. "RE: I was impressed"
Yep. And the kids they chose for the council? Total setup.

Tribe rocked my sig!

09-21-07, 02:20 PM (EST)
24. "RE: I was impressed"
Nothing like having DeadSquirrelHair and the board members show up in a helicopter, after you've been sitting on an old dusty schoolbus for a while.

Tribemints© by Tribey
Heavens no, that might cause some resentment.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-22-07, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Favorite quotes"
First of all, TOTALLY not offended and I'd have loved to do something like this when I was a kid!

On to the quotes:

pretty much anything out of Jared's mouth was hilarious

"Dude, we gotta focus on what we're gonna eat for dinner" (after Anjay talks about making ice cream and rock candy, lol)

of coure Michael's speech

And my absolute favorite:

"Are we supposed to live here? It's in disarray...it's a mattress with some heinous looking stuff on it" LMAO

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-07, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
DH and I liked it. He has to record it for me to watch after I get home from choir, otherwise you'd see me in the ECUT. The kids reminded us of the Zoo Teens. With the exception of the budding graffiti artist, they struck us as intelligent, resourceful, and mature for their ages. At least so far.

Tribe's Autumn

Sunny_Bunny 5581 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-07, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
LAST EDITED ON 09-22-07 AT 04:57 PM (EST)

My favorite part of this show was how the girl who wanted the bike went out and found a way to get it. Did she try the "lets pool together and get a bike for the team? No. This one wanted it for herself, and found a creative way to get it! And the coolest thing? Her team mates cheered for her when she rode off on it.

I was also impressed that they chose function over luxury. If I were to offer something similar to the freshmen students I talked about in OT, I think they would have chosen the TV without missing a beat.

Favorite quote: "I'm a beauty pageant queen. I don't do dishes!"

ETA: I totally fell in love with that precious sweetie who chose to go home.

Memaw 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-25-07, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Memaw Click to send private message to Memaw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Offended/not offended?: premiere."
"ETA: I totally fell in love with that precious sweetie who chose to go home."

Me too! I was really hoping that he would change his mind. However, he still gets "kudo's" from me for knowing what he can and can not handle at the tender age of 8.

kingfish 16088 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-07, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "not offended - 3rd episode"
Finally watched it.

Not offended, actually pretty amused, 10 yr. old Taylor is a future politician/firebrand.

Got a little concerned with the windstorm, the kids (esp. the littlest) could be blown around pretty easily I think.

If I had been one of the cameramen, I think I would have had to anchor a few of them down, tie them to a rock (kidding), get them into shelter, or something other than continue to shoot video.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •