The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"8/30 episode; over budget!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences HGTV Design Star Forum (Protected)
Original message

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-31-09, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"8/30 episode; over budget!!"
Did anyone else watch this? Talk about a train wreck! Torie couldn't shift blame fast enough...and we thought Antonio and Dan were going to come to blows! Who in their right mind would spend $10K+ on a PLASTIC gazebo??????? Especially when the TOTAL budget was $25K??? Sounded like the "math-challenged" wouldn't be such great people to hire.

I'm surprised the judges didn't do a double-elimination on the spot!

At first we liked Antonio, but his attitude is really becoming annoying. Don't know that we would watch ANY of these folks.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! jbug 08-31-09 1
   RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! tjdmlhw 08-31-09 2
 RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! Sunny_Bunny 08-31-09 3
 RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! Max Headroom 08-31-09 4
 RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! dajaki 08-31-09 5
   RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! Sunny_Bunny 09-01-09 6
       RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! udg 09-01-09 11
   RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! jbug 09-01-09 7
       Pergolas jbug 09-01-09 8
           RE: Pergolas Sunny_Bunny 09-01-09 9
           RE: Pergolas dajaki 09-01-09 10
   RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! udg 09-01-09 12
 RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!! Starshine 09-01-09 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-31-09, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
I wish the judges had said a bit about Torrie's lack of cohesion per the furniture when they canned her; they made it out like it was all because of the budget problem. There was more to it than that.

I was so disappointed in Dan. Did I get it wrong or did he flat out lie about the amount of money he got?
I thought I heard Torrie say she was giving him $10,000 but then when he actually counted it, it was only $5,000.
But at judging & in the green room, he kept saying he counted the money and it was $10,000.
He could have easily & truthfully said that she told him $10 and then only gave him $5. Even tho he was really really stoopid for paying $11,000 for a gazebo...he should have realized that was too big a % of their budget..... why didn't he call her on a phone? they always have cell phones....

I too am tired of Anthony & his attitude. He may know what he is doing, but his attitude may not make for good tv.

I was rooting for Dan; but I guess now I'll hope Lonnie wins.

Agman 2009

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

tjdmlhw 67 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-31-09, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tjdmlhw Click to send private message to tjdmlhw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
I didn't hear Torrie say that she had given him $10,000, but my kids were in the room talking so I could have missed it. I did hear Dan say that she had given him $5,000. Antonio then said that Torrie had given him $10,000 and Dan replied "No I counted it and it's $5,000."

I started the season disliking Antonio, then warmed up to him and now it's back to dislike again. He has this attitude that he is always right and runs over everyone else.

Sunny_Bunny 5581 desperate attention whore postings

08-31-09, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
I watched it, but I really don't remember which one did the wrong math. But, I am baffled as to why they went out and bought a pergola when really, its an easy build and could have been spruced up with cool fabrics etc. Candice was right - they bought everything, and it showed. There was ZERO impact.

Anyway, if some designer spent 10k on that plastic box and plonked it into my yard, I'd be really ticked off. But even if he had "signed the papers" why didn't he just go back with a cameraman and purchase a different, cheaper one? No business in there right mind would say "no" on camera it would be bad for business.

As for Antonio - I wouldn't watch his show, he is just too ... in your face for me. And Toni? What person volunteers to be the project leader and then silently lets someone take over?

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

08-31-09, 10:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
And the show marches on to the obvious final two of Antonio and Lonni. This week it was Torie's turn to have the epic fail, and next week it'll be Dan's turn. (So far this has been a very predictable season.) None of these designers have impressed me all that much; Antonio is the best designer but has enough ego for a room full of people, while Lonni has a better personality and would be easier to watch as a show host.

$10K+ for a generic-looking pergola is ridiculous!

agman 2009

dajaki 1453 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-31-09, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
Okay, last night's episode made me a little mad and I need to vent. . .

The miscommunication was in the van. Everyone agreed at $5K for a pergola, including Dan, but Tori did count out $10K. Antonio mentioned that Tori gave Dan $10K. Why she gave him that, I don't know. Maybe she just misspoke and really gave him $5K. Either way, when Antonio and Dan went to the Pergola store, they should have made it clear to the owner that their budget was $5K and they couldn't go a penny over. Forget about this estimate-on-the-spot stuff.

Also, why are they doing all their shopping at expensive specialty stores? $25K for a huge yard isn't much. $4500 for a play set? You can buy the same thing at Toys 'R Us for $1000 and spend another $1000 to have them install it next day. (My SIL bought one and built it herself - she recommends spending the extra money.)

And my biggest beef . . . No Fence Around the Pool when there is a Toddler living in the House! Are these designers nuts? They could have saved the old pool fence, painted it and planted vines along it. They could have saved on the pergola and play set and put in a new fence! I think this was just irresponsible and they should have been called out by the judges. Grrrr (I live in Phx and am a bit sensitive to this subject - every year we get several drowned children because of missing/poorly maintained fences.)

Dan was stupid to sign off on such a huge item, and Tori was stupid to have no oversight of her crew. The right person went home.

And I'm in the Lonnie camp by default. Dan doesn't appeal to me (though I've liked a couple of his rooms), and Antonio is a bully (though I've also liked a couple of his rooms).

09-01-09, 01:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
Yeah, the fence taken down was very irresponsible. I'm not positive, but I think here in CA it is the law now that you fence in your pool. Many toddlers have needlessly died in swimming pools every summer.

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-01-09, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
In Iowa, there has to be a 6' fence, but the pool doesn't have to be fenced separately. So, my ILs, for example, have a fenced yard with a pool in it. Most of the time, that's fine (the kids just don't play outside unsupervised), but right now, I have a 21 month old who can open their back door by herself and a MIL who keeps forgetting to lock the deadbolt after she lets the dog in/out.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

09-01-09, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
You're right about a fence. One of my first thoughts when they took them into the yard was "oh, the fence around the pool is in bad shape & will have to be replaced".

Wonder if they didn't make a written estimated budget for all the different things they needed.
They spent over $4000 on plants - I know plants are expensive & they did have to buy a lot of them, so...

09-01-09, 09:51 AM (EST)
8. "Pergolas"
Wouldn't you love to have this with herb garden planters?

09-01-09, 11:41 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Pergolas"
LAST EDITED ON 09-01-09 AT 12:29 PM (EST)

Now THAT would have given the yard that "wow" factor that was so lacking - and would have given the homeowners the added benefit of fresh herbs!

ETA: I found this one on a google search - not as dramatic as the herb garden, but I would have loved this on to "show up" at the reveal. I love the architectural details and the foliage. They also had some with curved roofs that were far superior to that square plastic 10k box they chose.

dajaki 1453 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-01-09, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Pergolas"
Very nice! And Zen too, yes? It doesn't have the flowing organic lines that Vern was talking about, but it is made from organic materials and full of living organic matter. I love it.

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-01-09, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
>The miscommunication was in the van.
> Everyone agreed at $5K
>for a pergola, including Dan,
>but Tori did count out
>$10K. Antonio mentioned that
>Tori gave Dan $10K.

It was really confusing when they aired it. At first, I was ticked at Antonio for "tricking" Dan, but when I rewatched those clips ('cause I was so confused as to what really happened, especially when they started discussing it after the fact), Tori handed Dan the money and told him to count out $10K. Antonio, sitting in front of Dan, heard that and said something about how they had $10,000 to spend on the pergola. Dan argued, Antonio insisted, and Dan, apparently, believe him. What gets me is, the girls were both SITTING RIGHT THERE THE ENTIRE TIME. Neither of them spoke up, and neither of the boys bothered to ask (on screen) for clarification.

I still don't understand why Dan didn't call the vinyl company and at least TRY to cancel the order. Worst case, they charge him a "restocking" type fee, and he's out a percentage of $10K, but still has money left over for things that matter.

>And I'm in the Lonnie camp
>by default. Dan doesn't
>appeal to me (though I've
>liked a couple of his
>rooms), and Antonio is a
>bully (though I've also liked
>a couple of his rooms).

Same here. At this point, Lonnie is the only one I might, possibly, occasionally watch if nothing else is on.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-01-09, 04:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: 8/30 episode; over budget!!"
I don't normally pump things here, however looking through this I felt I had to mention http://egardens.blogspot.com/ by our own Scarlett O'Hara the most beautiful blog I know

Arrrr Cap'n!

Just another Sleeperbloke

Something or Other

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •