The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences HGTV Design Star Forum (Protected)
Original message

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-21-08, 08:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
Want to make sure I don't type any spoilers in the first few lines, even though it's at least 12 hours since the airing.

Anyway, I agreed with the judges' decision on elimination. Trish's 're-do' was a bit boring, and expected. I did like the faux finish she did on the fireplace. I'd like to get her and the carpenter to come to MY house and do that with my fireplace!! But everything else was just something new, but not so different or unique, like the others.

IMHO, Matt really shone with his ingenuity! And he was a man on a mission, too! Although I think he would have done just as well, had he not known these people, and NOT have wanted to impress to the hilt. I think Matt is just like that-a perfectionist, and a design genius at the same time. Although, I wonder if the TV will move far enough away from the kiln so as not to get the heat from it?? Something the judges didn't ask, but I'm assuming so..Or does the kiln produce much heat from the outside?? Someone help me here...AND, so what about the FOUR BIG BLACK CHAIRS!! GET OVER IT!

Jennifer did a great job, too, considering she was dealing with a FAMILY and CHILDREN! And covering the floors was a good idea. I wish the judges would have given her more time to explain that-I hate that about them! They ask a question, but seem to turn to something else before the answer is explained!

They all did a great job of hosting, and I think it will be a tough decision next week. Looks like Jenn runs into some pitfalls, but it all adds up to much needed drama.

I do believe TPTB saw what a train wreck this season was and cut it as short as possible! Hopefully, they'll learn from their lessons, or just close up shop before they do this again next season.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: July 20th Design Star...Any com... Max Headroom 07-21-08 1
 RE: July 20th Design Star...Any com... tjdmlhw 07-21-08 2
 RE: July 20th Design Star...Any com... riverrocker 07-21-08 3
   RE: July 20th Design Star...Any com... Sunny_Bunny 07-21-08 4
       RE: July 20th Design Star...Any com... bdemoney 07-21-08 5
 RE: July 20th Design Star...Any com... dajaki 07-21-08 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-21-08, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
Trish was my favorite since the beginning, but I wasn't surprised by the decision to cancel her show after last night's episode. Other than the nifty fireplace re-do, her room looked like something out of a furniture showroom (and I think one of the judges made that same observation). Even considering her father's health issues, she could've done a lot more with that room. It just looked... stale.

Matt's room had WAY too much furniture, and I wondered where people would sit if they were using the game table. Would they move those huge black chairs up to the table, then be sitting too low to see the top of the table? The vanity and cabinets in the back of the room were untouched and didn't go well with the rest of the redecorated room, and Matt seemed to have entirely forgotten the "craft space" that his mother wanted, instead designing a game room. I liked his idea of hiding the kiln-- that was an elegant solution to a difficult problem-- but overall I thought his room was the weakest.

Jennifer's rooms were nicely done, but I agreed with the judges about her wall-painted designs. While she does a nice job on them, she's used that same solution several times now and she needs to show more diversity. Her choice of adding carpet was an excellent idea for a family with little kids, and I also thought she was the best host of the three finalists.

I agree that this season has been lackluster-- none of the designers have been that good.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

tjdmlhw 67 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

07-21-08, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tjdmlhw Click to send private message to tjdmlhw Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
I have 2 problems with the Judges decision,

First Matt's mother was very explicit in what she wanted and he did not listen to anything she said. She wanted a combination shop and gameroom with a curtain to close off the shop when it wasn't being used. She wanted a combination game table that flipped over to reveal a different table. (I've seen HGTV stars use a table in the past with pool on one side and air hockey on the other when they were doing gamerooms.) Neither the curtain nor the game table were in the room. Putting the table with chess/checkers in the room does not make it a game room and I don't know how anyone could call the room that.

Second, I agree that Trish's room was lackluster. It didn't have anything that really jumped out at you (and I'm including the fireplace). My complaint is the carpenter they gave her appeared to be an idiot. At one point I thought I heard him say that he had only been a carpenter for 3 weeks. If he was really as bad as they made him appear, then you have to wonder if Trish had things whe wanted to do, but couldn't get to because of him. If they are going to assign carpenters to help the designers, they should at least be sure they all are of the same skill level.

riverrocker 298 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-21-08, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail riverrocker Click to send private message to riverrocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
We "called" it before the judges spoke their decision. I've liked Trish from the beginning, but the room didn't do much besides an update.

Jennifer did a good job. Too bad they didn't let her explain about the carpet's materials! "Green" is in. We liked it.

Matt's solution for the kiln was creative, but the room lacked a lot in our opinion.

But...someone had to go. You are so right about the choices being weak this season. The last two times I voted and had friends and family do so; this year, I don't care who wins, and I won't waste time voting.

Sunny_Bunny 5581 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-21-08, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
Ra and I called it as well, and we agree with you about the carpenter. We were not impressed, and judging by many of the looks she gave, neither was Trish. He just seemed slow, a bit of a dim bulb, and there primarily to be a DAW.

All that aside, however, her room lacked any originality and was a bit to cookie cutter for our taste.

It has to be very nerve wracking working for family. I can't imagine having to decorate a room for a family member. Trish was given "carte blanche" with her parents room, but really, that worked against her. How do you work wonders if Mom and Dad don't give you any idea what THEY want?

I think Matt suffered from pleasing the family too. His mum was SO specific that I was worried that he would be to hemmed in. I thought all those heavy chairs was a bit matchy-mactchy for our taste, and the ONLY thing he seemed really proud of was hiding the kiln. At one point I turned to Ra and said "if he mentions that bloody TV/wall/kiln cubby one more time, I'm going to scream!"

Of the three, I think Jenn's sister seemed to be the easiest to work with, and that she got the best carpenter of the group as well. I liked her room, and I think her murals are cool. The room was entirely kid friendly while being lovely to look at.

The judges made the right decision, but I do so wish they wouldn't ask a question and then interrupt the answer. If they really don't want to know then they shouldn't even ask.

I agree with everyone else here who says that this year lacked something. The contestants were not all that interesting, and the editing didn't do anything to create interest.

The entire season was just ... meh.

bdemoney 745 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-21-08, 08:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bdemoney Click to send private message to bdemoney Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
I have never watched the show before this season, but was excited for it when it began. Now I have to agree with the majority and say the entire season seems a bit lack-luster, leaving a bit to be desired.

I really liked Trish and she was my favorite from the start, but her last two rooms have really lacked originality and did look like something out of a Pottery Barn magazine. Nothing to make her room stand out.

But Matt, who I also really liked from the beginning also seemed to disappoint me towards the end. From the crazy "what was he thinking" Thialand room, to last night's game room I felt let down. He showed originality in covering up the kiln (like he did in the first episode by designing the bed placement so creatively) but then fell apart on the rest of the room it seemed. No craft area, four huge chairs that can't be moved and aren't condusive to a game room. Then no darts, pinball, air hockey, or foosball table. Just a changeable board game table. An odd choice I thought. Not to mention the objectionable carpet choice. I was surprised he did not go home!

But I think Jen did a stand out job last night. Her room looked elegant and liveable, which is hard to accomplish both. Especially with kids in equation. So, I give her props and hope she ends up winning this season. I think she would be a fun hostess as well.

Hopefully next season will bring out a little more creativity and imagination!

awesome sig pic created by syren

dajaki 1453 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-21-08, 08:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: July 20th Design Star...Any comments about the final 2, or elimination last night??"
I'm agreeing with Sunny Bunny, who just so happens to be very agreeable. And any comments I'm making are after just one viewing with kids running around.

Trish's room wasn't so great, her carpenter was terrible and I've never really liked her anyway. I think what tipped her off my scale in the personality dept. was when she was moaning to Tracee (not a fave of mine and not a good leader) in the kitchen challenge about how she (Tracee) never really had control of the group. As if Tracee was a teacher in charge of 30 children (I've been there). Well, duh. You cannot control a group of adults against whom you're competing when none of them respect you.

Matt's room had some elements I liked (kiln panel), but some I found lacking (double facing rows of chairs). It seemed better suited to craft room/conversation pit. I wonder how his past family issues affected his design. Family therapy anyone?

Jennifer's room was my favorite. I know that it's anathema to cover hardwood with carpet, but there was no way that the floor would have been sanded and stained with all the other stuff that had to be done in the time given. I really like her wall graphics, but like David's denuded tree paintings (Color Splash), I hope it doesn't become her trademark.

This season has just been so-so (at best). If HGTV peeps are reading our posts, I hope they clue into the fact that they need to find better designers and better personalities.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •