The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences HGTV Design Star Forum (Protected)
Original message

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-24-09, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
Let me start by saying that I liked the idea of redoing a group of kids' rooms-- at least it's something different. But shouldn't all five designers have had kids from the same family? I thought Lonni got a tougher draw, getting the older boy separate from the other four kids, though she did a nice job with the room.

My next observation was that the designers relied too much on their carpenters. As evidenced by the one carpenter getting fired mid-episode, not all contractors are created equal, and having a good carpenter might have resulted in a better room than one constructed by a poor carpenter. It's also not fair for designers to have to do all their construction work as well as their designs, but there has to be a happy medium where the designers get enough help to shine while preventing us from being subjected to entertainment centers which take 21 hours to complete.

As for the episode? Antonio and Lonni clearly had the best rooms, while Dan and Torie were mediocre but did good enough jobs to beat out train-wreck Jason. Based on the last few episodes, I see Antonio and Lonni as the favorites, as both of them have stepped up their design work and both seem to have a knack for hosting.

another nifty agman creation

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms jbug 08-24-09 1
   RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms Sunny_Bunny 08-24-09 3
 RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms dajaki 08-24-09 2
   RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms Sunny_Bunny 08-24-09 4
 RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms justmyhumbleopinion 08-24-09 5
   RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms Agman2 04-18-16 7
 RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms HistoryDetective 08-30-09 6
   RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms kidflash212 07-10-16 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 17018 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-09, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
It comes down to the luck of the draw on the carpenters. They have provided carpenters before - & I remember at least once before when one was fired mid-job.
At least Jason let the guy go right away & didn't waste more time; the guy really didn't do much while he was gone.
Jason seemed to enjoy shopping more than anything else
At least he got a girl to design for - LOL. It might have been hard for him to design for a macho guy/kid when he was so happy going the pink route! But it might also have been fun to watch him figure it out!

As much as I don't like Antonio's attitude, he does do very good work - it comes together nicely. Personally I thought the huge dinosaur cutouts on the walls were a bit much - the kid does have to sleep in there after all! Can you imagine him waking up from nightmare?
Wonder how soon before the kid moves on from dinosaurs to airplanes or trains?

Agman 2009

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Sunny_Bunny 5596 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-09, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
You know, I will never understand why they don't use the carpenters used on other shows. After all, they usually leave this challenge toward the end when there are only 4 or 5 designers left. How hard would it be to use HGTV carpenters for 2-3 days of the challenge? Then all the designers are on equal footing and wouldn't be thrown behind schedule because the locals can't do certain things?

In this challenge the luck of the draw was also the kids. Antonio IMO got the easiest assignment, because he got the youngest child. I'm not dissing his talent, I'm just saying that a 5-6 year old is infinitely easier to please than a young adult of 17. Poor Jason though - obviously his idea of "Princess" and everyone else's were miles apart. The only thing he got right in that room was the chandelier.

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-24-09, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
Agree about Lonni being down the street rather than in the same home. I think my bigger issue, however, was the choosing of the family. Not that they were wealthy, but looking at the "before" pics, this family really didn't need designers to come in and redo their 4 children's rooms. Why didn't HGTV/Vern use their "Deserving Design" sensibilities and choose 5 kids from 5 families in public housing, or whose parents are teachers, or who have survived an ordeal, or who are student leaders in their community?

Jason's room was horrible. Did he paint the black details around the window or did his carpenter do that? And the placemats tacked to the wall? I've done better in my children's rooms with no training whatsoever.

I liked Tori's letters but thought they came too far off the wall and the fabric behind them looked cheap.

Antonio's cave surround was awesome. I also loved the little boy holding up the TV.

Dan's room was okay. I liked the gumball light and the use of bamboo. The colors were too much, though.

When Lonni said she would do a baseball theme, I was dreading what I thought would be a concept that would only work with a young boy. But her graphic was smart and grown-up. She was competent in her hosting abilities.

Sunny_Bunny 5596 desperate attention whore postings

08-24-09, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
Tori would have been smarter to use a wallpaper that looked like brick or a wall treatment to make the wall look more industrial - after all, the girl wanted a loft feeling. I agree with you, she was right on the money with everything except the fabric on the walls.

What a great idea on which kids to choose - the "deserving" element would have been so awesome!

justmyhumbleopinion 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-24-09, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail justmyhumbleopinion Click to send private message to justmyhumbleopinion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
I'm glad that Jason is gone, if only so that I don't have to hear him say "functionable" one more time. Will someone please tell him that is not a word?! Also - I think he really did a poor job in the girls room. Where did he spend $5000?

I was not impressed with anyone's hosting ability. There's not one standout for me, at least not anyone I'd want to watch for an entire show.

My favorite from last night was the kid's picture holding up the TV.

Agman2 2707 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-18-16, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
I find your comment to be very underwhelming.

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-09, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
C'mon, Perez Jason! Princess Room! Not Trailer Park Drag Queen Room.

kidflash212 4981 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: 8/23 challenge - kids rooms"
Didn't even see the show and laughed at that one

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •