The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Pirate Master Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-22-07, 06:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
So let's examine what we know (and think we know) about this thing, other than 'Isn't this kind of stupid? Whoever has the most money is just about automatically going to be the one with the most resentment -- and the one most likely to buy the pardon and escape!'

Well, yeah. That's kind of the whole point. And the person who just received that payment may become the next target, and he could buy the pardon in order to stay in the game.

Plus no matter what happens, Danni did it first.

By the numbers:

1. The RP could potentially be kept for more than one week in a row, but it would mean that no one made any bids. 'I'll pay you not to go for it' is kind of hard to make work, especially when you're doing it across the entire crew: all it takes is one person putting up twenty dollars to ruin your day. (And for all we know, in a no-bids week, the host takes it and tosses it up for grabs.)

2. It's easy to see people bribing others to stay out of the auction, though, and we might see some temporary pooling of funds -- which is what may be happening in the preview for next week. Alliances? 'Mutual fund investment program.'

3. Two people could conceivably just pass this back and forth for the entire game -- you buy it off me, I'll buy it off you -- but it's hard to keep going when you have no direct influence over the money supply. If MB wants that sort of thing broken up, all he has to do is spread some more cash around.

4. We don't know if the captain and officers can bid for the RP. If they can, things start to become twisted -- especially as a fresh captain after a big haul is very likely to have a good amount of money to spend. Can he protect his nominations? Would the RP work to stop a mutiny? How many twists can effectively stack in one show?

5. How long can the RP stay in play? We're already getting close to the point where the black-spotted almost have to drop to two per episode -- the voting pool is getting too small. Every other form of non-winnable Immunity has dropped out before the end. The RP may only stick around for a few episodes -- and never count on it being there when you need it.

6. Given that having it this week means you can't have it next week, are there going to be times when people decide not to go for it because they're convinced they'll need it more later -- even if they're black-spotted right now? 'Maybe I'm just the pawn!' Pawns get captured, moron. But if they're truly convinced they're safe... while still being on the black spot...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... byoffer 06-22-07 1
   RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... emydi 06-22-07 4
 RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... Magnolia_Rocker 06-22-07 2
 RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... Georgianna 06-22-07 3
   RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... emydi 06-22-07 5
   RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... vince3 06-22-07 6
       RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... Georgianna 06-22-07 8
           RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... JazzyJax 06-22-07 9
 RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own... foonermints 06-22-07 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
Good analysis Estee. I agree that the RP is a little contrived, especially on a boat where one guy (Joe Don) has so much of the coin, and seems to know how much others have. If they had really wanted to "get him", I guess they could have set him up to believe that the max anyone could mathematically have was X, and then bid X+2 using borrowed money.

If Louie's team can win the challenge next week, then Joe Don will be in trouble. He won't be able to re-buy the RP, and will be a target. Plus Jay is out to get him.

I suspect as the money starts shifting around more (new money won, bidding on RP, bribing others, etc) this show will get more interesting. Do we know how the end game works yet? Do they keep black-spotting and voting out until F5? Is there a jury at the end, or does the survivor with the most loot at F3 win?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/pirate_master/show/vh.shtml

Jay voted for Cheryl bc she didn't have some understanding with Jay...I think Jay wants JD there bc he has $$ and now he owes Jay

Also,last nite unless Louie told them to bid on it with pooled money and he would return it,you don't want to pool the money and give it all to the holder of the Royal Pardon. Next week, will anyone want to give too much to JD...as said elsewhere, they have to agree to bid $1---but will it work bc who gets the RP? It can't form an alliance very well bc then you have the Mookie problem...3 people "sharing" immunity...can someone give it away or can you only buy it?

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

06-22-07, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
What I really hope to see next week is that noone will offer JD more than a single coin to buy the RP back. Mr. Hoarder is then out $6999 gold and all it did was prolong him getting cut loose by one council. *I hope, I hope, I hope*

A Sharnina Creation

Georgianna 514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-22-07, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georgianna Click to send private message to Georgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-07 AT 02:31 PM (EST)

Plus no matter what happens, Danni did it first.

I watched Guatemala. Faithfully. Carefully. And I can't recall a parallel circumstance (Danni's 'purchase' of immunity) that would explain your comment. But I know it must be there ...

So, a penny for your thought.

ETA:

And another for another ...

Just what the devil is a Royal Pardon doing in a Pirate's Court? Azmyth's colloquial pretensions to a Royal Navy commission aside, I thought that this whole thing was supposed to be about a ship's company that would be far more likely to feed the traitorous spy/saboteur who possessed such a damning piece of parchment to the first available school of sharks than to honor the foreign document by pardoning him or her for far less grievous breeches of outlaw etiquette.

Now, a Letter of Marque ...

I'd gladly offer doubloons, but my chest is just never going to be that ample ...

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
at auction, she bought the clue that won her immunity against Steph in that logic game...that allowed her to continue on and gain Rafe's trust more, etc.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
The Reward Auction.

Danni purchases an "immunity advantage" which allows her to switch places with anyone on the board at any time.

When she's almost out of spaces, she switches places with Stephanie, who had the most spaces left on the board.

Ergo, she purchased the immunity win.

Georgianna 514 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georgianna Click to send private message to Georgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-07 AT 02:13 PM (EST)

emydi and vince3 ...

Thank you. I'd slap my forehead but, unfortunately, there is no 2x4 handy ...

And if one or both of you could take a look at the edit of my post and offer your thought(s), I'd be doubly grateful.

I mean, if I'm a Pirate Captain and a miscreant before me offers a Royal Pardon as a defense against my authority to punish him for transgressions of a Code that begins with the suspension of national and international law, I am first going to double the watch and then I am going to remind the fool (ever so gently) that he is not in a Royal Court and then I am going to make great (and not so gentle) effort to find out just how he came to have such a thing.

Before I then think of new and inventive ways to make a memorable point.

Don't get me wrong: I am, despite its swiss-cheese consistency, actually enjoying Pirate Master. But this hole in the plot would accommodate the proverbial Mack truck!

JazzyJax 531 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JazzyJax Click to send private message to JazzyJax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
Good points G. The only other time I've heard of a royal pardon was the British royalty bribing pirates to rat on other pirates. And that was just recently, in "Pirates of the Carbibbean"

One other thing the whole bid for pardon thing will do is encourage captains to quit sharing so much dough, thus causing more strife. Good show ole' chap, I say!

Captain Jack Sparrow never takes a royal pardon - how much did you say goes with it? Hmmm

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-07, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Royal Pardon: buy-your-own-immunity."
»'Maybe I'm just the pawn!' Pawns get captured, moron.«

Too bad you missed out on a very fascinating site in OT.

RUM! I must have 'e more RUM!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •