The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"How to play this game?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Pirate Master Forum (Protected)
Original message

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-01-07, 07:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"How to play this game?"
Well, this game is a little different as you can win money on each leg/quest.

Clearly, you want to be on the winning team (not that you have a choice).

Two, don't ##### off your fellow players.

Three, think for a moment before voting people into positions that you don't know what they gain.

Four, get your sea-legs.

What else?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: How to play this game? Estee 06-01-07 1
 RE: How to play this game? emydi 06-01-07 2
 RE: How to play this game? cahaya 06-01-07 3
   RE: How to play this game? michel 06-01-07 4
       RE: How to play this game? cahaya 06-01-07 5
           RE: How to play this game? Estee 06-01-07 6
           RE: How to play this game? emydi 06-01-07 7
               RE: How to play this game? cahaya 06-01-07 8
                   RE: How to play this game? emydi 06-01-07 9
                       RE: How to play this game? cahaya 06-01-07 11
               RE: How to play this game? Estee 06-01-07 10
                   RE: How to play this game? qwertypie 06-01-07 12
                       RE: How to play this game? KLicK 06-01-07 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-01-07, 08:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: How to play this game?"
I think we have to look at the Captain's position as a Big Brother ripoff: essentially, he's a Head Of Household with a permanent Coup D'Tat option attached. And just like an HoH, the position is an automatic invitation to revenge. The captaincy is designed to get people mad at you. 'He gets half the treasure! He gets an actual bed, the best food, and doesn't do any of the work!' It's possible to overcome all of this if you're personable and share out the perks, but -- that's not the kind of contestant they're casting for. For details, see Joe Don. Or given the way he's acting, Don Joe.

Admittedly, HoH is an every-other-week proposition at best, and you're always exposed in your off-week unless you can win veto. A good captain can hang on for a whole series (but the odds of a good captain are low), and a bad one still has to have everyone turn against him -- including his own officers. Ever try to get a bunch of DAWs to totally agree on anything? For details, see FOX, but do it quickly: the money is counting down and as soon as it runs out, they'll destroy the tapes.

Right now, the safest short-term position to be in is holding an officer's jacket. The captain can be mutinied out: the officers are safe no matter what happens at Pirate Court -- PC -- oh, the hell with it: Tribal Council. Better to be the power behind the throne, especially given how much MB hates leadership roles -- but officers are the target after a mutiny: too much gold!

I don't think the game will remain stable in its current configuration. Mutinies will become easier as the contestant pool shrinks, but they're still no guarantee -- especially since the officers have to support them. The show wants chaos: the first twists will have to come soon.

And given that a major risk for pirate ships was other pirate ships, it would not surprise me to see the first eight people ousted return at the helm of their own vessel, attempting to steal the treasure...

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 09:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: How to play this game?"
so if JD had been ousted who would have replaced him? John, Ben, Cheryl, a vote?

I think the mates have the best place, at least on first glance...they don't have to vote unless a mutiny and don't get all the crap the capn will get

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: How to play this game?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-01-07 AT 02:50 PM (EST)

There's an official site where some of the rules are explained, but some of which is not entirely clear.

Mutiny: Mutiny occurs at the conclusion of Pirates’ Court if there is a unanimous ballot for it and the 2 Officers support it. A successful Mutiny results in forcing the Captain being cut adrift.

The elimination ceremony: Taking place on the ship’s deck, the 3 Marked Pirates defend themselves at Pirates’ Court. In the end, the other Pirates cast a ballot for one of the Marked Pirates to eliminate or for mutiny. The Marked Pirate with the most number of ballots is Cut Adrift. However, if there is a unanimous vote for Mutiny and the 2 Officers support it then the Captain of the Ship is cut adrift.

Crew: Term used to describe a team of Pirates. Pirates are split into 2 Crews for an expedition.

Demoted: Refers to the Pirates who were on the winning Crew but were not selected as Officers. In addition, anyone who has no rank, including a replaced Officer or Captain is considered “Demoted”.

Based on all this, here's what I can conclude:

1. For each expedition (apparently one per episode), two Crews of Pirates are formed. For the first show, the teams were drawn from red & black balls. For the next episode, the existing Crews might be maintained or new Crews will be reformed, possibly by the same method with red & black balls or by some other method.

2. After the expedition, the winning Crew then (presumably) chooses a Captain. In the first episode, this was done very loosely with a show of hands without anyone being aware of some of the consequences. There'll probably be a lot more discussion next time around. It's possible that there may be a different winning Crew and a different Captain in the next episode, thus the current Captain might not be the Captain next week.

3. The Captain then (presumably) chooses the Officers (although a twist in the game could have the Officers selection done by a vote instead of Captain assignment). The remaining winning Crew members are considered to be "demoted".

4. It's still not clear what happens if there is a mutiny. The Captain gets cut adrift, but then who is the next Captain? Clearly a revote of some sort happens, but for whom and by whom? For one of the two Officers? For one of the winning Crew? For anyone? And who gets to vote? Winning Crew members, or everyone, or everyone except the Black Spots? Open question here, I think.

Thus, it looks like there could be quite a bit of flux in who is chosen as Captain and Officers week by week, depending on how Crews are formed and which Crews win the expeditions. We might also see more alliance-building and bribery (if allowed) at work in the coming weeks. This could get real complicated and rather dastardly as greed and grudges set in.

etf link

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: How to play this game?"
I'm thinking the two officers will be chosing crews for the next expedition, creating dissension between them. What are the options for the captain: Stay there for the whole season or be cut adrift? He'd have no chance to win. Is there a way for the captain to go back to being part of the crew without a mutiny?

06-01-07, 03:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: How to play this game?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-01-07 AT 03:39 PM (EST)

Is there a way for the captain to go back to being part of the crew without a mutiny?

If the Captain ever becomes a member of one of the two expedition Crews, and s/he's on the losing Crew, then we'll see a new Captain drawn from the winning Crew without a mutiny. The original Captain and Officers will be demoted.

06-01-07, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: How to play this game?"
Huh. There's a major double-edged sword here: if the game does force sit-outs to keep the crews even, then the Captain may have the option to choose who doesn't play. That keeps the targeted party from receiving any treasure and gives them no chance of becoming captain themselves -- but it exposes the captain to the possibility of being on the losing team.

Sounds like the new captain can't select the just-demoted one as an officer, either.

06-01-07, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: How to play this game?"
so i guess if a mutiny happens, the ship is captainless until the next treasure is found and they vote...and the officers run it til then.

so if JD is on the winning team again, he stays cap'n and no new vote? will Cheryl and Ben automatically be on his team? does JD get to pick the teams? what tools (beside the bribery we see of him with Jay) to keep his cap'nship? If he picks the teams that could be very interesting...

there really isn't much about the rules on the sites...they should explain more (i hope they do) in week 2

06-01-07, 04:05 PM (EST)
8. "RE: How to play this game?"
We may just have to see how all this plays out. If last night's episode is anything to go by, I have a notion the pirates knew (then) about the rules as much as we do now. A large part of the suspense in this new series is finding out how what the rules are, and which what-were-thought-to-be-rules can change! Thare are all kinds of possibilites for twists from week to week.

Piracy on the high seas & hoisting of the Jolly Roger by agman

A real headache for lawyers, I'd suppose, although that's the name of the game.

06-01-07, 04:13 PM (EST)
9. "RE: How to play this game?"
i'm no lawyer

06-01-07, 04:16 PM (EST)
11. "RE: How to play this game?"
and I ain' no running back!

06-01-07, 04:13 PM (EST)
10. "RE: How to play this game?"
I think it's deliberate. Right now, the game is whatever MB says it is. The contestants don't know what they can expect from week to week: if there's going to be a jury phase, ways to protect themselves other than being an officer, personal treasure hunters as opposed to group ones... anything can come at any time and they have nothing to base their expectations on. Right now, we're playing that never-popular reality game, The Twist -- and until we hit the last set of closing credits, everything's up for grabs.

It's probably pretty safe to assume we'll see at least three major screwover points, though. There is a minimum standard.

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: How to play this game?"
So true! I don't think it is spelled out for us, because MB himself hasn't figured it all out yet.

KLicK 316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

06-01-07, 10:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KLicK Click to send private message to KLicK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: How to play this game?"
Something must change soon -- here are a few vidcaps from SurvivorAddicts

Azmyth is clearly the captain and Cheryl is not cut adrift.

Isn't this JD casting a vote? He's not marked if he's voting.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •