The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

flipxcyd 1053 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-11-08, 11:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
...and the winner is
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
Stephanie - first female Top Chef. For a minute there, I thought Lisa was gonna win it. For once, I actually liked Lisa this episode. Oh my...Richard's pathetic. At the end, he wants to make sure the judges know that he knows that he choked.
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) dabo 06-12-08 1
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) momof4inVA 06-12-08 2
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Fishercat 06-12-08 3
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) txriverwillow 06-12-08 5
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) anotherkim 06-12-08 10
       RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Tiggertramp 06-13-08 19
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) WVtoIN 06-12-08 4
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) dabo 06-13-08 18
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) txriverwillow 06-12-08 6
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Snidget 06-12-08 7
       RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) weltek 06-12-08 8
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) aquariaqueen 06-12-08 9
 It's great... singer 06-12-08 11
 Rice.... aquariaqueen 06-12-08 12
   RE: Rice.... Snidget 06-12-08 14
       RE: Rice.... txriverwillow 06-12-08 15
           RE: Rice.... aquariaqueen 06-12-08 17
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) cipher5150 06-12-08 13
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) txriverwillow 06-12-08 16
       RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) jase 06-15-08 20
           RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Sues 06-16-08 21
               RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) dabo 06-16-08 22
                   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Snidget 06-17-08 23
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) sballlvr 06-21-08 24
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Sagebrush Dan 06-21-08 25
   Show discussions only, please Bebo 06-21-08 26
 RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) jbug 06-25-08 27
   RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) Fishercat 06-25-08 28
       RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico) jbug 06-26-08 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-12-08, 00:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-08 AT 01:46 AM (EST)

Yay, Stephanie, first woman to win Top Chef!

First, let me say I was very happy with the challenges this season, unlike last season where many of the challenges seemed more about sponsorship than cooking (for goodness sakes, who in the world besides airline cooks would ever need to prepare airline dinners?!!). The finale challenges are always top notch though.

For a bit there I thought Lisa had found a way to sabotage the other chefs in the finale challenge (having said that, though, in fairness I don't think that she was out to sabotage them at all). I'm not a fan of heat for the sake of heat; give me a hot and spicy dish the flavor better be there, overwhelm me with taste not heat. By coming out with such a bold selection of dishes, Lisa could have wrecked it for the Richard and Stephanie, but fortunately the judges and guests all had talented palates and could distinguish the three concepts being served them simultaneously.

Lisa, when you promise them Vietnam/Thailand, don't take them directly to China. I too liked Lisa this time, her confidence was admirable, and that is something Stephanie should work on. On the other hand, Stephanie knew her dessert was weaker than the others and just wanted it to pass the pass/fail, she was worried it would be the tiebreaker. Richard overcomplicated himself into a corner where, without the second pair of hands assisting, he just had too much to do. I thought his meat serving looked wonderful and don't understand what went wrong. Oh well, at least he got to shine/show-off with his nitrogen ice cream technique.

Like judge Ted Allen, I love pistachios and have never seen or heard of them being used in that way, kudos to Stephanie for pulling that rabbit out of her hat. Or lamb as it were. And way to top Richard in the wow-'em with something different scoring.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

momof4inVA 120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-12-08, 03:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail momof4inVA Click to send private message to momof4inVA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I never liked Lisa. I did like Richard and I never thought unitil the end about Stephanie. But I am so glad that Lisa didn't win.(Dancing in my living room.) I still liked Antonia and Dale would like a cook-off between the two. JMHO

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-12-08, 04:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I'm not in the condition to give full thoughts right now, I just want to say...

I hope Richard enjoys his bronze medal. Congrats.

(More constructive thoughts edited in later)

txriverwillow 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-12-08, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txriverwillow Click to send private message to txriverwillow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Yeah that comment really came back to bite him in the rear.

anotherkim 14419 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
The difference in their attitudes, though, is that Richard would agree that he earned the bronze medal, while Lisa would be yelling that the judges were bribed.

--I'm thrilled that Stephanie won--I picked her from the first episode to be my winner.

Tiggertramp 3141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-13-08, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiggertramp Click to send private message to Tiggertramp Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Brilliant minds think alike.

I too picked Stephanie from the beginning. There was something about her, quiet, a bit insecure, but very very solid. She was consistently great the entire show. Lisa was not. She was in the bottom more often than not, and truly I thought when Antonia went home the wrong chef was going home. I would have loved to see her compete with Steph and Richard.

Richard choked, and he knew it. The fact that he admitted it was humble and honest, I give him kudos for that truly. He tried to do too much. I believe he is a brilliant chef, and I knew he would be in the finals, he truly deserved to be there.

I am glad that Lisa was so happy, calm and did so well. It showed her professionalism.

Did anyone else find it odd that the final chefs received no help in the end? Usually they have had extra help from previous Top Chefs.

Excellent siggy by JSlice, Worm by the Fab IceCat And Icey bounced me! Yippee!!
I wish I were a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum...Cuz how can you be grumpy, When the sun shines out your bum??

WVtoIN 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

06-12-08, 07:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail WVtoIN Click to send private message to WVtoIN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
This is the first finale I really enjoyed. I would have enjoyed it better had Antonia been there instead of Lisa. For someone who had been in the bottom 6 times, she didn't deserve to be in the final 3. I have no doubt that she is an excellent cook/chef, but her performance during the season showed that she doesn't work well with others. The best meal she cooked was when she was by herself.

From the way the judges were talking, I thought for sure Lisa was going to win, but I am so glad Stephanie won. From Episode 1, there was something I liked about her.

I know this is a competition, but I never once saw her "play the game" and try to screw anyone over.

Richard choked, I agree with the other poster that said once he was by himself, he had too much to do.

This is the first time the chefs had to do all the cooking by themselves and I thought it was great. No one to blame but themselves.

Anyway! Great season (although I think they could have done without as many team challenges).

CONGRATS! Stephanie.

06-13-08, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Richard choked, I agree with the other poster that said once he was by himself, he had too much to do.

Thank you. If you compare what he planned to what became his presentation menu, it is clear Richard had to make a lot more adaptions after losing his sous chef than either Lisa or Stephanie. It was a fair twist to throw into the game, I'm not complaining, but Richard might have won if not for that, he had a very sophisticated plan in the works. I wish him every success in his future ventures, in the end he impressed me as being more than just a bag of tricks.

06-12-08, 08:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txriverwillow Click to send private message to txriverwillow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I was terrified that Lisa had snuck the win in. She did seem more stable this round than ever before, calmer in the kitchen seemed to help her dishes tremendously. Because she wasn't screaming at people, accusing anyone of sabotage and wasn't on the defensive, she actually seemed like she could be a likeable person.

I did see a huge personality difference when Lisa was telling Stephanie to get confidenc. Lisa is full of confidence, often when she shouldn't be. Stephanie is one who sees the flaws of her work and seems to be honest about when she needs to bring it up a notch or two.

I didn't expect to see the Richard choke! That was a surprise and really allowed Lisa to look like she had a win coming.

But I'm not ready to try bacon ice cream.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-08, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
For someone that barely squeaked through most of the season Lisa did do a good job in the end. I was really worried they'd give it to her over the two who won almost all of the Elimination Challenges.

I was glad Lisa didn't win, they like to bring previous winners back and I really want her off my TV permanently.

Her over confidence of I'm good no matter what snotty routine is just old. I really wish she'd gotten canned earlier in the season.

From the Who Knew Agman was psychic collection.

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-08, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I have a feeling Lisa really spent her time between the end of taping and the finale bringing her game up a notch. She knew she had to choose a few things to do REALLY well. And that is exactly what she did.

Stephanie deserved to win...I'm so happy! She's creative, level-headed and humble. I look forward to her career! I think all the past winners should get together and make one really awesome restaurant.

Richard is deserving of something (although I agree with him that he just plain choked), and I'm sure he has a stellar career ahead of him.

-A Shamrocktastic SharTribe Creation!

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-12-08, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Random thoughts:

Richard, poor Richard, you almost gave Lisa the win. I still think you're talented, but bacon icecream just isn't my choice of flavors. You wowwed accomplished chefs, good for you. And congrats on the new baby.

Stephanie, I have liked you since day 1. I like humble people. The cake seemed boring, remember, you made a wedding cake???? Congratulations....you pulled it out.

Lisa, reality check: there is a difference between confidence and cockiness. You edge on cockiness, my dear. Your soup looked good. And you changed your stance from tightly crossed arms to hands on hips....still very unbecoming.

Glad Lisa didn't win because I said I wouldn't ever watch again and if she did, I just love this show too much.

“I love Jesus but I drink a little”. Gladys Hardy

singer 1910 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

06-12-08, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail singer Click to send private message to singer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "It's great..."
that Stephanie won. I hope to go to her restaurant one day.

I wouldn't be as excited about Lisa's food, because she seems mad or something most of the time. "It's not good to eat food cooked by angry people. One can choke." (Today's proverb created by me.)

Agree totally with earlier posters who said that Richard's bronze metal snippy comment came back to bite him in the hiney parts.

06-12-08, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Rice...."
Any of you hope that since Lisa did some kind of Thai rice pudding that her rice curse would sneak back up on her?

Also, what does Puerto Rico translate to? Rice Port? Just wondering.

06-12-08, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rice...."
Rice is arroz in Spanish.

Rico translates to rich in English, I think.

06-12-08, 02:47 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Rice...."
Correct Puerto Rico would translate to Port Rich or Rich Port.

06-12-08, 03:33 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Rice...."
Gracias. I guess if I had thought about it longer, I would have realized that. But, hey, I made you feel smart, didn't I?

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-08, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Great episode! The right person won both for the episode challenge and for the series as a whole. Too bad Richard choked as I really wanted to see a showdown by the two chefs who were clearly the best ones this season.

Funny how there could have been a completely different outcome if Richard had “pulled the knife” first rather than immediately offering to let Stephanie choose first. I suspect he would have chosen the same chef she did.

I’m still perplexed by the lack of preparation to be able to pull off varied desserts. After all these seasons they should be aware that they will be called on to do this several times so I would expect, at the least, that they would have two or three slammin dessert recipes heavily practiced and ready to go. Instead we get Richard’s banana scallops for the third time and ice cream for the second, and Lisa’s sweetened rice twice (although it was a different rice recipe). To hear Stephanie say that she had only made the cake she served once prior makes my head hurt from smacking it with my palm. Since they never know what ingredients they are going to have at hand you’d think they would have a great chocolate based, fruit based, and cake based recipe down-pat, and maybe something really unique like Dale’s Hala(sp).

*End rant*

06-12-08, 02:49 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Agreed, I think there are some recipes you would want to be ultra prepared for and being able to put together a full meal of all courses would be expected at some point in the competition.

jase 187 desperate attention whore postings

06-15-08, 09:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jase Click to send private message to jase Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I'm glad you guys brought up the topic of recipes and in a sense, overall preparedness before going on a show like Top Chef. I find it amazing how, season after saeson, people cry about making desserts and certain simple dishes. I mean, if cooking is your passion, you should be willing to do whatever whenever to succeed.

Overall, this was the best season of Top Chef so far and the right person won.

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-16-08, 09:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
How do you become a chef and not able to pull together a dessert? Oh, wait that's right..most places just use sisco...lol

So glad Stephanie won.....she was by far the most consistent...

06-16-08, 11:48 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
In topnotch restaurants desserts are a specialty of the pastry chef, a respected professional but subordinate to the executive chef. Most of the chefs in Top Chef are aiming for executive chef not pastry chef.

06-17-08, 06:38 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
While it is true that the desserts usually is a whole specialty onto it's own, I would think after this many seasons of the show that anyone signing on would take a few days to work out a couple of simple but tasty desserts because you might need to make one.

While I wouldn't expect them to turn out pastry chef quality desserts I think learning how to do something with fruit, something with custard, some sort of cake type of thing and a basic souffle would be worth taking the time to memorize and work out before the show. Just because there is always a challenge or two where someone gets stuck with dessert.

I know you don't know what ingredients you will be stuck with, but I'm always shocked people don't do some sort of fruit compote or cobbler. You can dress those up nicely with spices or a liquor and while it might seem "homey" I would think you could do something fairly unexpected with those if you spent a bit of time before the show to work it out and play with plating it with chocolate or other sauces.

sballlvr 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-21-08, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sballlvr Click to send private message to sballlvr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Now that Top Chef is over, what is everyone going to watch? I hear NBC as a few good reality shows coming out.

Sagebrush Dan 9824 desperate attention whore postings

06-21-08, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Really? Like who can best torture the songs from Spamalot?

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings

06-21-08, 05:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Show discussions only, please"
Welcome to the forums. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines - there's a link at the top of the page.

Since we have separate forums for multiple shows, we ask posters to keep the discussions in those forums related to that particular show instead of bringing discussions off-topic by talking about other shows.

And regular posters, please remember the appropriate response to posts in the wrong location is to alert the moderators and let us handle it. Responding yourself is not appropriate as it perpetuates the behavior and can violate the rules about who to treat new posters.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

06-25-08, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
Lisa was named in TV Guide as one of the top 10 'meanest' reality tv persons (not sure if 'meanest' was the word used, but that's the idea).
Course, Omaroso was #1; Johnnie Fairplay & Jonathan (from TAR) made the list too.

Snidget put me on the cover!

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-25-08, 11:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I have no idea how you can put Lisa on the same list as Fairplay and Jonathan and Voldemort. Two totally different levels IMO

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

06-26-08, 08:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Top Chef Finale (Puerto Rico)"
I didn't put her there - TV Guide did!

Don't shoot the messenger!

Snidget put me on the cover!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •