The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-12-08, 10:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Welcome back to another season of knives, attitude, seasonings, sweat and sauce. It's Top Chef 4 - Chicago!

There be spoilers within.

First we have some lovely shots of the city of Chicago, resplendent in autumn glory. The chefs start touching down at O'Hare airport, and making their way downtown to Pizzeria Uno, which claims to be the home of the original Chicago deep-dish pizza. The chefs are greeted by pan after pan of pizza, and they settle in for some beer and pizza and a getting-to-know-you feast.

Padme and Tom enter and lead the chefs to the Top Chef kitchen, where they're given their Quickfire challenge - create your own signature Chicago-style deep-dish pizza.

Some of the pizzas look good. Some look . . . pre-digested. Some people have big trouble with the dough - too much, too little, too soggy, too dry, too sticky, but a few get it juuuuuuust right. They take their pizzas to a house where they find their guest judge. . .

Rocco DiSpiritio.

Yay.

Rocco has a personal pizza party and proclaims some winners and some losers. The winners get to pick which loser they want to go up against head-to-head in the elimination challenge. All is not lost for the losers - they get to pick what they will cook in their head-to-head challenge.

Let's meet the newest crop of chefs. I grabbed the tiny versions of these photos to keep the thread manageable, so if you want to gaze upon any of these people close-up, please visit bravotv.com. Winner of the head-to-head is underlined.

Andrew vs Richard: battle of the crab cakes
Andrew is the resident potty-mouth. I think 3/4 of his dialogue was bleeped. Lesson: The Top Chef kitchen does not stock mayonnaise. Andrew doesn't know that mayonnaise is eggs and oil. (I knew that, although I think I learned it from an infomercial for a stick blender.)

Antonia vs. Nimma: shrimp scampi
Nimma's shrimp is too salty. Not good. Antonia wins one for the Italians.

Dale vs Manuel: sirloin
Manual breaks out the first ceviche of the season. It's just not Top Chef without a good ceviche.

Erik vs Zoi: souffle
Neither one of them has made a souffle in recent history. It shows. Erik admits that he made glorified nachos instead of souffle.

Jennifer vs. Nikki: Lasagna
Jennifer is 1/2 of the pre-existing Top Chef couple (Zoi is the other half.) She also shares a hairdresser with Richard. Jennifer's lasagna is apparently uncooked - Nikki's is yummy and wins.

Lisa vs Spike: Poached Eggs
Anthony Bourdain wants to judge this one on which one is a better hangover remedy. Spike's real name is something Greek. I've forgotten it already so clearly it's good that he goes by Spike.

Mark vs Stephanie: Duck A L'Orange
Mark is from New Zealand and likes Marmite. The judges don't like that his duck is deconstructed but meant to be eaten together. They are confused. Poor judges. Stephanie's duck wins.

Ryan vs. Valerie: Chicken Piccata
Serious problems with both. Neither one of them actually made chicken piccata. Ryan's dad has fired chefs who were not as good as Ryan at 11 years old. Methinks Ryan's dad has a hiring problem.

Top 4: Antonia, Richard, Stephanie, Nikki
After much debate, the winner is: Stephanie. Her duck a l'orange is very impressive. She is tasked with entering the waiting room and sending the following to the slaughter:

Bottom 4: Ryan, Erik, Nimma, Mark
Erik's weighed down his souffle with tortillas. Nimma's flan was yuck and her shrimp was salty. Mark tried to deconstruct duck and Bourdain called it silly. Ryan is called out for not knowing his piccata from a hole in the ground.

The first chef booted from the Windy City is:

Nimma. So long! Perhaps your headband is a reminder that the Blue Line is the one that will take you back to the airport.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 KwietOne 03-13-08 1
   RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 Sues 03-13-08 2
 RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 geg6 03-13-08 3
   RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 aquariaqueen 03-13-08 4
       RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 frodis 03-13-08 6
       RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 jbug 03-13-08 7
           RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 Snidget 03-13-08 9
               RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 aquariaqueen 03-13-08 11
       RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 geg6 03-13-08 10
           RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 Snidget 03-13-08 12
               RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 geg6 03-13-08 13
                   RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 Snidget 03-13-08 14
                   RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 frodis 03-13-08 15
                       RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 geg6 03-13-08 16
   RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 Snidget 03-13-08 5
   RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 arkiegrl 03-15-08 17
 RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 TxMom2011 03-13-08 8
 RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1 anotherkim 03-16-08 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KwietOne 1083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-13-08, 01:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Great write up frodis!

I had it down to either Ryan or Nimma. Nimma: Not good if you're just there to work. You gotta have fun! Too bad you didn't enjoy it.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-13-08, 07:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
You also have to be 'good tv' and she was snooooozville!
Oh, and she couldn't cook her way out of a foam clamshell...tsk tsk, sure hope her Dad isn't too disappointed....next!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-13-08, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Well, I must say...

Who the hell doesn't know how to cook chicken piccata? *boggle*

I mean seriously. Two of these people had no clue what the dish is. None. WTF?

That said, Nimma pretty much sucked. I can't taste what she made, but looking at it and hearing her describe it, I knew it was a train wreck.

Colicchio made the best of points, IMHO. If you can't manage the classics edibly, you can't manage to do much of any sort of "chefing." I have no faith in any chef who is so unfamiliar with such dishes. Such simple stuff and, directly related to that simplicity, unfamiliarity with simple dishes gives you no foundation for more exotic and experimental dishes.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Theodor Geisel aka Dr. Seuss

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-13-08, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Sorry, I don't know what Chicken piccata or Duck ala Rouge are.
Guess it proves again that I am a worthless American. Tsk Tsk.
My mom would have just said we're having chicken or duck for dinner. Wait, we never had duck.

And the right one got voted off in my opinion. She was dry as toast...the kind you put in the chrome appliance, set on a medium setting with no condiments. That is toast to most of you, too?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

03-13-08, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
I expect the Top Chef contenders to know how to make chicken piccata, particularly because piccata is more of a style of preparation than an actual recipe.

Ryan clearly had no idea what piccata was, or he just mixed up his italian preparations. Adding breadcrumbs made it milanese, not piccata. That's like asking for a cheeseburger and getting a meat patty topped with barbeque sauce. NOT the same thing.

I agree with geg - piccata is such a simple classic base that I'm shocked that these two biffed it so badly. You have to know the classic preparations to be able to build upon that to make more adventurous and experimental dishes.

Personally, I was most offended by the Chicago deep dish pizzas that looked like 19 pound dough cakes with a little bit of stuff smeared on top. Deep dish pizza is NOT a brick of dough. Nimma and Andrew and the woman who did the white pizza were the worst offenders on that. WTF? They had *just* eaten the real deal - they didn't notice that the weren't chewing on giant walls of dough? Yuck-o.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-08, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
This was on last night????? I missed it??????? Was this while I was watching AI? carp!!!! (not the fish)

don't know what Chicken piccata or Duck ala Rouge are.

That makes at least 2 of us! (we never had duck at home either - tried it once, but didn't like it).
Hey, I cook - I'm not a Chef!

One of Shar's unique creations

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-08, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-08 AT 12:20 PM (EST)

It started at 10 pm, after AI.

ETA: Luckily it is Bravo so they'll replay it 538 times between now and next week's episode.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-13-08, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Thanks to Bravo, it is easy to catch up with missed episodes. However, it always seems as though I keep catching ones I've seen and not the one I keep missing......lol

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

03-13-08, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
FTR, it's duck a l'orange.

Though I have no idea what any of this has to do with being an American, worthless or not.

*shrugs*

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Theodor Geisel aka Dr. Seuss

03-13-08, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Just because the usual dish name has a foreign word in it, doesn't mean it is not in any way any part of the American cuisine scene.

DUCK A L'ORANGE IN USA
A survey of American cookbooks/magazines from WWII forward confirms Duck a l'Orange was a popular dinner party menu option from the 1950s-1970s. Some recipes were true to the original; others were simplified. McCall's Cook Book circa 1963 instructs cooks to cover spread the duckling with orange marmelade (p. 484).

I don't see many people making it now, but I'm old enough to remember it was one of those things people did when they wanted to be fancy back when I was a kid.

Chicken Piccata (or Veal Piccata) is at pretty much every Italian restaurant in the US. Chicken Breast with a sauce that has lemons in it really isn't something so exclusively European as to be unheard of in America.

I even think it isn't that uncommon at an American cuisine restaurant to see a "Piccata" on the menu. Especially because American cuisine often has stuff borrowed from other countries.

*shrug*

Now I can understand any random person not knowing some of the classic dishes that have been commonly served over the last 50 years in the USA. However, I expect someone that is a "foodie" enough to be a chef would at least be familiar with it, and have cooked it a time or two even if they only did it while they were studying to be a chef.

03-13-08, 01:18 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
I wasn't saying that piccata or l'orange aren't a part of the American cuisine experience.

I was simply commenting about my puzzlement as to why AQ, in her reply to me, made this comment:

Guess it proves again that I am a worthless American. Tsk Tsk."

I don't understand what it has to do with knowing what piccata or l'orange are.

I make piccata all the time. It's a very common dish and very easily "dressed up" to modernize it. My mom, in the '60s, made duck l'orange regularly. My mom was most certainly not a foodie. I, however, am. If I know what they are, any chef worthy of the name should know.

03-13-08, 01:30 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
I was agreeing with you, maybe I should have put the post in a different spot or tried to explain myself better.

03-13-08, 01:35 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
Regardless, of whose mom knows what chicken piccata (or duck a l'orange) is, these "Top Chefs" have no excuse not to know what it is.

I will admit that I, too, thought that piccata and duck a l'orange were ubiquitous enough that most people would know what they are. I think my mom has the 1960's McCalls cookbook that Snidget referenced. "Cook Duck. Pour on marmalade! Remove housecoat, don pearls, and serve your family with a smile."

03-13-08, 01:49 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
I
>think my mom has the
>1960's McCalls cookbook that Snidget
>referenced. "Cook Duck.
>Pour on marmalade! Remove
>housecoat, don pearls, and serve
>your family with a smile."

LOL! I have that cookbook! I inherited it when my mom died. And that's just about what the recipe says!

03-13-08, 10:19 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
I don't think I've ever made it, so I'd have to check a recipe.

However, I do expect chefs to know all the classic dishes. I agree how can you expect to do well doing fancy stuff if you don't have the techniques and understanding of how different flavors go together that you learn from making the classics and making them well.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

03-15-08, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
I agree with geg. *I* wouldn't know how to make chicken piccata, but then again, I cook Hamburger Helper. But I would expect someone who expects to be named "Top Chef" to know how to make any of these dishes.

Spring time with Tribe

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-13-08, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-08 AT 12:20 PM (EST)

For spelling.

I was disappointed with most all the chefs in the bottom four. I am not a chef... not even that great a cook, but I knew they all got it wrong. I am just glad that No Salt/Too Much Salt girl was there to be the first out. Hopefully some of these guys can redeem themselves.

BTW.. the girl who won (Sorry but I can't remember anyone's name just yet)was a basket case. Her hand was trembling. I got the early (and looks like wrong) impression that she was gonna be awful.

I had a feeling when they were giving that boring girl extra camera time -- her on-air life would be short. As far as I'm concerned it wasnt short enough. Geez they couldn't find another Tre or Cliff or even Mia (she was firey) to fill the token Black spot? I say do without if Suzie-Saltshaker is the best you can find.

anotherkim 14419 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-08, 05:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Top Chef 4 - Episode 1"

Nimma was given the losers edit from the get-go. When I saw her crawling in that bed, talking about how she wasn't there to have fun and blowing both challenges, I knew she was a goner. She was like a human Eeyore to me for soem reason.

Count me among those who have no idea what chicken piccata (or milenese?) is. I don't use reductions or bok choy either, though, so I'm hardly a judge. I did try to make a souffle back in high school once and it actualy rose. I've also never had duck a l'ANYTHING in my life. My mother was a great cook, but never one to cook a duck.

Kimmah Says
--Even I, the hater of Chicago-style pizza and essentially a non-cook, knew that they were putting WAAAAAAAY too much dough in those tiny pans. WTF?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •