The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

gabygirl1 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-10-09, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail gabygirl1 Click to send private message to gabygirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
Just wanted to give you the heads up – today at 2 pm ET/11am PT the Top Chef crowned winner will be online and taking questions. If you’re interested, you can join here: http://bit.ly/80jEcs

See you there!
Gaby (for Fancast)

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... weltek 12-10-09 1
   RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... JessicaRN 12-10-09 2
       RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... mindy23 12-11-09 3
           RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... weltek 12-11-09 5
       RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... crs3192 12-14-09 12
 RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... jbug 12-11-09 4
   RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... weltek 12-11-09 6
       RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... jbug 12-11-09 7
           RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... Ahtumbreez 12-11-09 9
 RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking... dabo 12-11-09 8
 bummer mtb002 12-12-09 10
   RE: bummer dabo 12-14-09 11
   RE: bummer frodis 12-15-09 13
       RE: bummer mtb002 12-15-09 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-10-09, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
*must not look for name of winner until I watch the episode tonight*

It's so hard!

-A Tribetastic Creation

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-10-09, 10:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
LAST EDITED ON 12-11-09 AT 01:51 PM (EST)

I just watched it and I won't say who won, but I was just a little surprised. However i thought all of them were good throughout the whole season.

Now that time has passed, I can comment more. Tom Collichio has said that they try really hard to just judge on the food of that challenge, so I wasn't surprised that Kevin was the first eliminated. Remember how Carla was kind of messed up by listening to Casey in the final. I was more surprised that Bryan didn't win. Except for the first course, that they didn't even seem to consider much, I thought that he seemed to have more positive feedback.

I also heard Tom say that they will spend hours at the judging table making their decisions and trying not to let anything else influence them except for the food of that night.

This has got to be one one of my favorite reality show.

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-11-09, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
Now that it's been a few days, I feel it's ok to mention that Michael won. What a crock-no pun intended!

I am just so disappointed at the judges in ruling on just the end meal, and not what these chefs did overall. Kevin was the winner, hands-down, and even got the phone-in vote, by 58%. But that meant nothing to the judges, who were only concerned with the LAST MEAL of the season!!

Even on 'Chopped', the judges take into consideration the entire progression of the chef from appetizer to dessert. And that's just a one episode show.

I really feel Kevin was robbed big time, but I hope this will still help launch him into the chef-stardom that he so deserves! IMHO, He should have won, with Bryan being a close second.

Yes, he did have a semi-bad night, but most of it was in the luck of the draw, with Pretee doing almost nothing, and he and Ash doing 80% of the work. The other 2 were lucky enough to get helpers that were more adept at performing. What were the producers thinking even bringing back ANYONE from the first four or so cut-offs? I think that was just cruel!!

Oh well. What can you say. He was certainly challenged, as well as the other chefs, and came up short. So, on on bad night, he's cut to #3.

My hope is that Micheal's head will not explode with the award of greatness that he already feels he deserved! Or maybe...never mind! LOL. I KNOW we haven't seen the last of any of these 3 finalist.

12-11-09, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
I actually thought Michael was a deserving winner, despite his lousy personality. His creativity was very impressive. They all would have been deserving winners, I think, so I really think it was all about the final meal. The only thing he seemed to do wrong was overcook the cake.

I agree they shouldn't have let any of the early ditched constestants come back. However, a tiny part of me says that chefs constantly have to deal with varying degrees of talent in their kitchens, so it was interesting to see how they led.

Kevin was still my favorite, but it has just as much to do with personality as food. I thought it was gutsy of him to stick to what he does best throughout the competition, knowing it often wasn't quite as refined as the other's food.

-A Tribetastic Creation

crs3192 122 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-14-09, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail crs3192 Click to send private message to crs3192 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
lol

I really don't think it's such a big deal or anything, but just wanted to point out:

The first thing you said was that you wouldn't say who won. But then you said who DIDN'T win - leaving us to use process of elimination to figure out the winner.

As I said, it's not a problem. Just thought it was funny!

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-09, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
Finally got around to watching the end last night.
Yea, I was dissapointed.

The 4 courses:
Kevin won the first - the one to honor their mothers.
Michael won the second with the mystery box stuff. (Kevin was in it except for the tough mushroom).
Bryan won the third with his veal.
Bryan won the last with his dessert (Michael's cake was too dry).

So how did Michael win?

Santa is shakin! bobblin! Thanks Tribe!

12-11-09, 12:32 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
Simple.
They thought Kevin's pork belly fell really short, as did his dessert. A loser on those two courses.

They thought Bryans first and second courses were bland. A clear loser on those courses.

The dry cake of Michael's appeared to be a minor misstep, as they otherwise loved his dessert. Kevin already clearly lost that course, so Michael was a solid second.

Michael wasn't a clear loser on any course, and a solid first and second on every course makes you a winner in the case the other two WERE clear losers on a few courses.

-A Tribetastic Creation

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-09, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
LAST EDITED ON 12-11-09 AT 12:54 PM (EST)

The dry cake of Michael's appeared to be a minor misstep, as they otherwise loved his dessert. Kevin already clearly lost that course, so Michael was a solid second.

This would then put Kevin equal in that his mystery box course was perfect except for the mushroom.

the way I saw it, Bryan clearly took 2 of the courses and should have been the winner.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-09, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
The way the judges were talking I too had Bryan up by one meal, so thought he would win it.

I was so disappointed that Kevin didn't pull out a win.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-09, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Top Chef Winner Online & Taking Questions (12/10 @ 2pm ET)"
Well, not my favorite season, and once again the chef I was rooting for in the finale had a bad day and fell short. Hoot-E-Hoo!

Oh, well, let's hope next season is better.

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-12-09, 10:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "bummer"
LAST EDITED ON 12-12-09 AT 10:39 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-12-09 AT 10:21 PM (EST)

I have to say, I was disappointed that Kev didn't do as well. Any other season, he might still have won. But he's only 26, that's 4 years younger than the younger Volt. That's plenty of time to learn to do more refined dessert technique.

I think Bryan got royally screwed. I read Tom's blog, I don't buy it. All those challenges Bryan won, never in the bottom, the butt of all Mikey's jokes and the brunt of most of Mikey's temper, half the reason for Bravo's dramatic finish and he's walking away with nothing. Not a dime. Not even a set of steak knives. All that time away from his son. What a crock.

Mikey certainly pulled out the stops when necessary. Good job on him. When I say Bryan got screwed, I don't mean that Mikey didn't deserve to win. I hope he finds it in his heart to share a little with Bryan.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like that the show is not judged on a cumulative basis. It encourages the chefs not to rest on their laurels and take a challenge for granted (see Mike I). Cook every meal like it could be your last, and in theory the food should be consistently better. It hurts when favorites like Kevin don't win, but you have to hand it to the best of the night.

Since when did Top Chef become Chopped? (mystery basket, oops, I mean box and Donatella) I was seriously PO'd at that. That is not why I watch this show. It would have been bad enough to do it during the regular season, but during the finale was borderline unforgivable. Not to mention that you, in essence, made them do a challenge when the point of the finale is to see what kind of meal you would put out if left to your own devices. To make rules like using all ingredients in mystery box ( which were more traditionally Asian ingredients) and then to say they had to do a dessert which was a huge advantage for the brothers I think was no accident. Hugely disappointed on many fronts with this finale even though the chefs where the best final three they've ever had.

ETA- And what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks was up with, "Kevin, you..........are NOT Top Chef." That was the most undeserved bit of cruelty I have ever seen on reality tv. The sad thing is, I think Kevin is probably too much of a gentleman to call them on it. Extremely poor form.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

12-14-09, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: bummer"
I have to agree that "Chopped" has the worst format for cooking challenge shows, seeing that format adapted for Top Chef was a bummer.

From what I've read in the past, Top Chef judges are prohibited from applying cumulative scoring, they have to judge each challenge on performance in that challenge, that has always been the case.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-15-09, 09:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: bummer"
I agree with you - I like that the show is not judged on a cumulative basis. It really has to be one challenge at a time, and if you screw up at the wrong time, then, too bad!

The thing about food - you can't edit it. Once you've served your dish, it's gone - you don't get a do-over, your diners have that one moment to judge you. So you kind of have to be on top of your game all the time; diners in your restaurant aren't going to enjoy the crappy meal in front of them just because you've served good food in the past.

I liked Kevin and wanted him to win, but I also liked the Voltaggio brothers, so going into the finale I didn't feel a lot of suspense as I would have been happy with any winner. Really, this season, if you're judging purely on food, how could you be disappointed with any of these guys winning? I really think any of the three could have given several of the other seasons' winners a run for it.

I do understand being disappointed when judging on personality. Mike Voltaggio wasn't a warm fuzzy. He did, however, consistently come up with interesting, creative, and artistic dishes. His broccoli thing was brilliant, unusual, and by the accounts of the judges, tasty. It seems to me that he thinks about food differently than other chefs, and I really think that his creativity won it.

I was a little disappointed that the challenge was so very NOT in Kevin's scope. If he wanted to be Top Chef, he needed to rise to the challenge, which he didn't, but first with the mystery box and then with the dessert requirement he was clearly out of his element to begin with. Then, that he got saddled with the worst of the sous chefs, well, that was kind of a nail in the coffin. He looked defeated from the get-go.

He was right in his element with the mom-food, and because of his chicken skin thingy I ended up making pan-fried chicken the next night for dinner. I think that if he'd nailed his main dish, the pork, which he clearly considers his specialty, I think he might have pulled out the win. Oh Kevin, what happened? You botched the pork dish. And then followed it up with a roasted banana. Really, he had to know the roasted banana was not the kind of effort that would stand up to anything either of the Voltaggios would do for a big finish. I know that the one diner had an issue with bacon in his dessert, but I'd just like to invite anyone who doesn't want their candied bacon crunchies to pass them my way. Please and thank you.

That said, I thought there was something up with Kevin. He seemed off-kilter and a little defeated before anything began - going back to the penultimate episode, even. What happened? Did he watch the series and buy into the Voltaggio hype? He had kind of a perma-clench on his face. Where did happy-go-lucky Kevin who was confident in his own food go? I was hoping his mom would bring him back to earth - maybe she helped but I really think Kevin beat himself. Too bad.

Kevin is 26? Wow. I wouldn't have guessed that.

I thought that Bryan was in line for the win, but with two okay dishes (underseasoned) and two good ones, I can see why the judges decided to give the nod to Michael's innovation and creativity. Bryan didn't give them anything to really hang on to and say "this is what won it for him."

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-15-09, 07:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: bummer"
LAST EDITED ON 12-15-09 AT 09:20 PM (EST)

Turns out he had separated from his wife right before taping the finale. So while TPTB probably thought bringing moms in was a great/nice idea, it probably made it impossible for him to shut out what was happening in his personal life and focus.

ETA link to TV guide interview
<http://www.tvguide.com/News/Chefs-Kevin-Gillespie-1013013.aspx>

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •