The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode 12 - maybe?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-19-09, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode 12 - maybe?"
Nov 18 - I've lost track but anyway let's talk about cutting the 5 down to four.
The judges were right on choosing Kevin a the winner of the challenge. So what if his food was simple; at least it was cooked & seasoned properly and presented beautifully.
Mindy (I think) mentioned in the other thread about wanting Kevin to win. I do too. Not only is he a great chef and a classy guy but he's a Southern gentleman.

The judges were wrong wrong wrong on cutting Eli. It was painfully obvious that they want both brothers to go as far as they can allow them to. The one with the bone in his fish should have been eliminated. Eli's food was undercooked just the same as Jen's and the brother who cooked the lamb. They even commented on how well Eli's sides complimented his lamb.

IMO, Eli got robbed. He was collateral damage because they were determined to keep the brothers. Who BTW are obnoxious and full of themselves.

Adman regurgitated this piece of wisdom.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode 12 - maybe? mindy23 11-19-09 1
   RE: Episode 12 - maybe? jbug 11-19-09 6
 RE: Episode 12 - maybe? cipher5150 11-19-09 2
 RE: Episode 12 - maybe? frodis 11-19-09 3
   RE: Episode 12 - maybe? NewFan 11-19-09 4
       RE: Episode 12 - maybe? Ahtumbreez 11-23-09 12
   RE: Episode 12 - maybe? cipher5150 11-19-09 5
   RE: Episode 12 - maybe? jbug 11-19-09 7
   RE: Episode 12 - maybe? 2curious 11-23-09 11
 RE: Episode 12 - maybe? mtb002 11-20-09 8
   RE: Episode 12 - maybe? BlueIris 11-20-09 10
 RE: Episode 12 - maybe? ginger 11-20-09 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-19-09, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
Totally agree, Jbug! Mike V, who said, 'Kevin's food is something that I make on my day off', is the brother who had the bone in his fish! Well, sounds like he'd better start making his 'at home' food, if he wants to start impressing the judges! AND, IMHO, HE should have been dismissed!

The way the judges were talking, I really thought he was going to be chopped, because they had nothing good to say to him, in editing, anyway. But, good old Eli went. I agree that they are really pushing for a Brother's/Kevin finale. It's no big surprise if Jennifer is next. At least we got 1/2 a smile out of her this time!

I really hope Kevin can continue on with his streak (yeah for the $30K, and the chance to compete in that whatever thingy!), and bring this all home! He has been the most consistant and by far, the most courteous of all of them. Bryan is pretty cool, too, but just hasn't had the flavor ability that Kevin seems to bring to the table. I see Kevin moving up and up, and eventually going for a few top honors in the world of cooking.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

11-19-09, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
I forgot about Jen's half smile

I don't usually pay attention to the opening shots of each one, but last night I noticed that even that pic of her was frowning

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-19-09, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-19-09 AT 02:53 PM (EST)

I think the title of this ep. should have been “In Your Face Michael”. Clearly Kevin is getting the winners edit…but obnoxious jerks have won before (Hung). I’m glad that Michael’s obnoxious comments about Kevin’s food came back to bite him on the azz. Perhaps he’ll learn that “simple but excellent” is better than “fancy but mediocre” – but I doubt it.

I also think Bryan is a lot less arrogant than Michael and more likeable (if somewhat wooden and boring). I like how he helped Kevin plan his dish. Bryan is a better chef than Michael and seems much more mature and I really wouldn’t be upset if he won.

However, I disagree that Eli was robbed. Others may have undercooked their dishes but Eli’s looked, well, raw. There is a difference between undercooking a dish and serving something so undercooked as to be inedible (which more than one guest commented I believe). They made a point of showing several of the quests’ plates after they were finished with him and it looked like more than one of them took the smallest possible bite of it they could (for one of the guest’s plates I was wondering if they tasted it at all). They made a point of saying that Michael’s bone would have immediately eliminated him from the (fancy French competition I can’t remember the name of), but in Top Chef, one small bone does not trump raw, no matter how much I wish it did.

Oh well, maybe Michael will get the boot next week. I was glad that Jen was able to turn it around a bit this week.

ETF: Punctuation

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-19-09, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
Does anyone else like the Voltaggio brothers?

I like them. Yeah, I think they're arrogant but I don't think they're jerks. They're just young and good at what they do. Say what you like, but they are good at what they do.

(I also liked Hung and Stephan, so I'm prepared to be in the minority, here.)

I think they edited this episode to intentionally inject some suspense. They had to - considering that the final four, Kevin, Jen, Mike and Bryan have been the frontrunners all along. At what point did you consider Eli a frontrunner for the final four? Anyone?

I liked Eli but sending him to the final four would have just made him a sacrificial lamb, because he really doesn't have the chops (yet) to go up against Kevin/Jen/Mike/Bryan. I believe that someday, he might. He's certainly a talent and he made more than a few dishes this season that looked delicious and that I'd like to try. He just really needs to stay away from making circus puke in a cup ever again.

At least with Kevin/Jen/Mike/Bryan it's truly a final four where it's anyone's game. I just flat-out like Kevin - like his personality, like his food style - and I hope he wins but I'm a little worried for him and hope he doesn't pull a Carla and second guess himself. He needs to go with what got him to this point. The Bocuse D'Or challenge was most certainly not in his wheelhouse and he won it anyway. Yay for Kevin!!

Incidentally, the competition on which they based this challenge is Bocuse d'Or. Sometimes they show it on Food Network. It's very hoity-toity and the big TV moments are rife with giant food sculptures crashing to the ground when someone carrying the big mirror tray steps on a snag in the carpet. Whoops!

I'm happy with the final four. I hope Eli does well in his future endeavors but I have to disagree that he got robbed. It should have been Robin getting robbed this week.

It's an agman!

NewFan 139 desperate attention whore postings

11-19-09, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NewFan Click to send private message to NewFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
I like Bryan, but not Micheal. And I'm not sure how anyone can confuse the two. Bryan is quiet but friendly and smiles occasionally. Micheal is arrogant and crabby, and I don't recall him ever smiling unless he was winning something (and maybe not even then, because then it might look like he wasn't already expecting to win).

Even the muscles in their faces show that Michael never smiles (face is more long and saggy) and Bryan is much friendlier (face is fuller with plump cheek muscles...pinch, pinch!)

I hope Jen can continue to the finale, but I'm fully expecting it to be the Brothers V and Kevin, with Kevin as the winner.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

11-23-09, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
I'm on the Bryan but not Michael bus. Bryan's the one that helped Kevin with the cooking technique and doubted his brother would have helped.

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

11-19-09, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
I think Michael is arrogant and a big huge jerk. You need look no further than his tirade at Robin when she cursed at him for altering her dessert. If ANYONE had dared to do something like that to one of his dishes I believe he would have had a full-on meltdown.

Should she have cursed at him? Eh, maybe not. But from what I understand about professional kitchens that kind of behavior is not really out of the ordinary. I hope that he was suitably embarrassed when they showed the montage of him cursing and behaving badly towards other cheftestants at the end of that episode, but I doubt it. Arrogant jerks never see anything wrong with their own behavior.

Bryan I like, and while I think he is arrogant I would not categorize him as a jerk. Again, he just seems to have a maturity that Michael is lacking.

But it sounds like we are just polar opposites on this issue as I hated Hung and Stefan too!

11-19-09, 05:43 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
Okay Fro, maybe robbed was a bit tough. And yes, I don't think he is up to the competition of the other four.
However, the bone in the fish was - to me - the kicker. They would have - and have in teh past - used that to kick anyone else out. I still think they planned for the brothers to be in the F4.

2curious 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-23-09, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 2curious Click to send private message to 2curious Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
I like them both. I like all of the final four. I expect Kevin will win but would be okay with any of them.

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-20-09, 02:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
I didn't get to see the quickfire, but I'm glad Jen's back on track. Welcome back, indeed. I love that Kev gave her an encouraging wink.

I must admit, the intricacies of the D'or were lost on me. I didn't understand what the big deal was until I read Chef Tom's blog explaining the whole mess. Now that I understand better, I get why some people feel like Bryan was robbed. But I think it all comes down to what is teachable. I think Kevin's greatest strengths are his intuition, his palate and his ability to execute. Bryan's strengths are consistency and mastery of a very broad range of technique. Bryan's current skill set are better suited to the D'or, but you can't teach Bryan what Kevin's got. As this episode very ably and literally illustrated, Kevin can quickly learn and execute Bryans skills when needed. I think that's why Kevin won. That and his food tasted better.

I think that Bryan distinguished himself this week. He helped Kevin without whining, and said Kevins style of cooking has a place and an audience, even if it's not something he gravitates to. I've always liked Bryan. Mike, on the other hand, needs to find/repair his external filter. Everyone is allowed to have opinions, but you can't be that tactless and expect people not to bristle, especially when the object of your rant is someone as well liked as Kevin.

BlueIris 161 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-09, 08:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BlueIris Click to send private message to BlueIris Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
You have summed up my thoughts exactly. Thanks!

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

11-20-09, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Episode 12 - maybe?"
Yukon C. FTW!!!

I actually did feel sorry for Eli when he cried.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •