The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-07-09, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-08-09 AT 09:40 AM (EST)

****Spoilers!!!!!! Don't read until you decide you want to know!!!****
So, Week 7 and we begin by focusing on Mike V, Ash, Jen and Ash. Please note this later. Guest judge is Tyler Florence. There's a slot machine in the Top Chef kitchen, not a good sign. Apparently there a program called cookster that lets you type in mood and flavors and you get ideas. Slot machine gives them a mood, flavor and ethnicity. Apparently umami is a flavor. Go figure. Kevin wins, having not cooked aisan before. Jen is in the bottom. Kevin gets the choice of 15K or immunity. Having enormous balls of steel, Kev obviously takes the $$. Jen is in the bottom, along with Robin, and Eli.

Eliimination challenge: Home cooking. Padma tells them to go home. As soon as they get there, they immediately notice the house has been stocked like the Top Chef Kitchen. Some famous chefs along w/ Chef Florence are standing there with shopping bags, everyone draw knives to see who's bag you will be cooking from. Kev and Jen get Chef Douglas, brian and Loraine- Chef Florence, Ash and Mike V- Chef Silverton, Robin and Mike I-Yagiashi, Eli and Ashley-Chef Armstrong. Now, much ado is made about Mike I's assessment of Robins cooking skill, and while it's not entirely unfounded, it's mostly irrelevant in the scheme of things. Mike V's power goes out in the middle of cooking his halibut, and it doesn't come out right. Eli and Ashley don't communicate well and gnocchi is too salty and prawns are raw. Jen gets her second wind, perhaps buoyed by the prospect of working with Yukon, and gets a great idea for a tomato gravy/sauce. Brian V is his usual workhorse self and turns out a better than solid halibut dish. I'm not sure what Lorraine actually did this week. Jen finally wins one, gets a $10K Macy's gift card, says she will buy Kev a suit, since he deserves a lot of credit. She may be rough around the edges, but she has a very practical and not ego centric view of her world. Bottom 4 are Mike V/Ash, Ashley/Eli. Now if you have seen the previews, you know Eli isn't going home, and sending Mike V home would be a mistake the producers/ratings would be unable to recover from. Right away you know its down to Ash/Ashley. As Tom lays the burden squarely on Mike and Ashley, well, you know where this is going. I'm sorry to see Ashley go, she was just starting to hit her stride.

As much as I don't want to accuse Top Chef of being racist or sexist, an interesting thing happened before the episode aired. DH watched the recap of 2 weeks ago (Ron going home) and asked, "Are there any more minorities to kick off?" "No." "Well, kiss another woman goodbye." Hmmm.

ETA-corrected spelling/punctuation and clarified my ramblings.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... dabo 10-08-09 1
 RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... DHerder222 10-08-09 2
   RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... jbug 10-08-09 4
   RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... mtb002 10-08-09 7
       RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... Andy W 10-08-09 9
           RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... DHerder222 10-09-09 11
               RE: episode 7: The brothers' 'tudes... mtb002 10-09-09 12
 Umami is a flavor Snidget 10-08-09 3
   RE: Umami is a flavor mtb002 10-08-09 5
       RE: Umami is a flavor weltek 10-08-09 6
           RE: Umami is a flavor mindy23 10-08-09 8
           RE: Umami is a flavor Snidget 10-08-09 10
 RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... weltek 10-13-09 13
   RE: episode 7: Who's got this in t... mindy23 10-22-09 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-08-09, 01:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
At last I'm starting to get into this season.

I mean, really, super-jumbu prawns, what's not to like?

Seriously, the cheftestants this season, I'm bored. I still have no favorites or anything, I'm bored.

I'm sorry, but this season, love the antics, but I'm seriously disimpressed.

But Jenn does run around the kitchen impressively.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

DHerder222 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-08-09, 02:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DHerder222 Click to send private message to DHerder222 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
Your last comment just made me have to respond (Long-time lurker here). I totally agree with you that while I don't know if the show is consciously racist or sexist, there is clearly a tilt in the advantage of white male contestants. I thought this season has been particularly egregious - All the non-white contestants were eliminated within the first six episodes, and of the three remaining women, one of them is constantly degraded as one who "doesn't deserve to be there."

It's something I've noticed while watching the show all these years. The only time a minority has won, it was because Hung was beyond a shadow of a doubt the best chef, and anyone else winning would have been ridiculous. As for Stephanie, I don't know about the rest of you, but I knew she was going to win virtually after the first episode. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers purposely picked sub-par male contestants to ensure a woman would win.

I obviously enjoy the show or I wouldn't keep watching, but it's definitely a trend on the series. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-09, 09:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
Welcome lurker

Gotta disagree.

When you stop to really look at each elimination, didn't Hector deserve to leave on what he prepared?
Didn't Ron deserve to leave on what he prepared?
And yes, didn't Ashley deserve to leave on the basis of her prawns and other?? Personally I thought Ashley had messed up a few times before so I never expected to see her go much further anyway - even tho she won one quick fire I think.
I hardly remember the others who have been eliminated -- the French guy, Eva or something.....
Those eliminated have usually failed before - or at least haven't stood out with anything spectacular.

Realistically...
the chef world is male dominated. And when the show starts with a majority of caucasian men, the odds (no pun intended) are that more of them will survive. (they are in Vegas after all )

All that said, I'm rooting for Jennifer.
And I realize the producers do what they want with editing, but Robin's constant talking would drive me crazy too! LOL

Michael I has an ego almost as bad as Hung's (who I did not want to see win regardless of how great a chef he is).

10-08-09, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
Absolutely, the professional kitchen is still male dominated. And it makes the Jen C/Stephanies/Antonias in the competition all the more special. However, Ashley's biggest error last night was in refusing to throw Eli under the bus, which she absolutely should have done. Her gnocchi were apparently fine until he got ahold of them, and if you read Tom's blog on Bravo TV.com, he even acknowledges that the panel might have made a different decision if they had known that. I'm not asserting that Eli should have been sent home, but rather Ash. I think that should be pretty self explanatory, but if anyone wants me to elaborate, I will. I wouldn't have been upset by Eli's departure either.

I wonder how Kevin or Brian would have responded if they realized their partner had screwed up their food? They both seem like very level-headed fair guys. Do you tell your partner, "You need to say what you did at judges table." Or do you try to absorb the blame? What would you do?

As an aside, I don't think that Richard from Stephanie's season was a weak competitor by anyone's standards.

Andy W 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-08-09, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Andy%20W Click to send private message to Andy%20W Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
"I'm not asserting that Eli should have been sent home, but rather Ash. I think that should be pretty self explanatory, but if anyone wants me to elaborate, I will."

You are so right about Ash and I will elaborate! Ash has snuck by with sub-par food on a number of episodes this year. It is amazing that he continues to get the benefit of the doubt unlike Robin who seems to get a bad reputation because she has a motor mouth. This week he should have been sent home because he took no responsibility for a bad dish and he said that Michael's ideas were better than his. That makes me wonder how bad his ideas were! I'm hoping that he will finally be sent home next week.

Cheers
Andy
MSN Outreach

And hey, for a quick TC recap check out Last Night on TV.

DHerder222 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-09-09, 00:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DHerder222 Click to send private message to DHerder222 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
That reminds me, did anyone catch why Michael V. was upset with Ash after the initial scolding from the judges? Both he and Bryan seemed very irritated (Although lately, they seem that way all the time), and I didn't understand why he got so pissed at Ash. If anything, I thought Ash did more damage to himself by basically admitting he's a second banana.

10-09-09, 12:47 PM (EST)
12. "RE: episode 7: The brothers' 'tudes. "
I think Mike V was just that mad at himself for not putting his best foot forward. He very quietly and sincerely thanked Ash for the picasso remark. As far as the brothers being irritated, I think they get that way when they don't do their best. Brian was obviously very scared for Mike, which is why he got so snippy with Kevin, although I think everyone realized Kevin didn't mean any condemnation. Very rarely do we see it directed outward. Now contrast that with Eli and Mike I. Always irritated at something or someone else, almost never take responsibility for their situation or attitudes. So that's why I give the brothers a pass on the 'tude. I'll put Jen in the same category as the brothers as well.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-09, 06:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Umami is a flavor"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

is one of the five generally recognized basic tastes sensed by specialized receptor cells present on the human tongue. Umami is a loanword from Japanese meaning roughly "tasty", although "brothy", "meaty", or "savory" have been proposed as alternative translations

It is why MSG is added to a lot of Oriental food. It is to add Umami.

10-08-09, 09:31 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Umami is a flavor"
(blushing) Thank you for the lesson. I'm by no means a foodie, but I do enjoy learning about these things. I'll correct my egregious spelling right now.

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-09, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Umami is a flavor"
Don't feel bad, most of us don't know that!

-A Tribetastic Creation

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-08-09, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Umami is a flavor"
I have to agree that the women have been picked off like flies on a summer day. I think I mentioned that before. But, like most of you have pointed out, they did deserve to go when they went. I haven't disagreed with the judges yet; last night, though I really think Eli should have gone instead of Ashley. But Ashley did not defend herself, so be it. Time will tell with Eli, as well as Robin.

Robin would make me crazy, too. Survivor or not. Doesn't give one the go-ahead to make everyone else more stressed than they already are! Send her to a room where she can talk to a stuffed animal, or an artichoke or something! Maybe she's really a plant to see how well these guys can do under THAT kind of stress. Next time, bring on Gordon Ramsey...

I have to say, the brothers are wearing very thin on me. They act as through this show is all about them, and I'm sure most of this has to do with editing. But I feel sometimes I'm watching the Brian and Micheal show, rather than Top Chef! I hardly know who some of the other cheftestants are, and we're almost halfway finished here!

Even with being as sick as she was, Jennifer did well, but look who she was paired up with: how could she NOT do well with Kevin. He, I feel, will be at least in the top 3, if not the complete winner of this. He seems to be able to take ANYTHING, and turn it into something amazingly edible and unique.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-09, 02:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Umami is a flavor"
Yep, it isn't well known. I don't think they included it back when I was in school and I seem to remember them finding the taste buds or nerves for it and realizing those cultures that kept talking about it weren't just crazy.

Haunted by Tribe!

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-09, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
I'm just not connecting to this season for whatever reason. Kevin is the only contestant I feel interested in. I love Jen's food, but egads, she's a bore. I'm already sick of the Brothers V.

Too many of the chefs this season are downers.

-A Tribetastic Creation

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-22-09, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: episode 7: Who's got this in the bag?"
I believe Kevin and Mike I. will be the final 2, with maybe Jennifer. But definitely those 2 men. They are stable, do not let their emotions taint them, or sway the way they cook.

They absolutely KNOW what they are doing, and do it well. Kevin is one outstanding chef who deserves to take it all. Even though they really screwed up as a team last night, he had every beat down, and knew exactly why and how it all happened. So did Mike. Jenn was incredibly flustered, and that could hurt her in the long run and have her handing her baton to a V. brother. But I think those two are going to cancel eachother out. We may actually see Robin in the finale.

I do think there will be some big surprises in the next few weeks.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •