The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-24-09, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
***contains spoilers, don't read if you don't want to know yet***

So Top Chef season is getting to the nitty gritty, and the cream is really rising to the top. However, there seems to be some discord among the chefs left about one in particular who is sill here, (cough)Robin(cough). Boy is she going to be offended when she watches the season as a whole. So to make the story arc even more sweet, they bring in Michelle Bernstein for the quickfire. Make a duo that embodies your angel inspiration and your devil inspiration. Guess who wins? Robin. Why she wins is subject to debate by Eli, who claims it had nothing to do with her food, and that it was her story. How dare she recover from cancer and relate this during a challenge to explain her dish. It will be interesting to watch the reunion show and see how he feels about his editing in this particular episode. So the important part of this is....Robin has immunity! Now, I like most of the chefs left, but the looks on their faces when that is announced is reality tv gold.

On to the good stuff. Elimination challenge. They haul in Penn/Teller to illustrate. Show the old balls in cups magic trick, then show the balls in cups magic trick with clear plastic cups and Penn telling you how they do it. But the beauty of Penn and Teller is that Penn is so magnetic and talks so fast, you still are left vaguely confused about how it all happened, even though the cups are clear. And that's what good misdirection is all about. Now, draw knives, deconstruct the dish on the knife. Right away, you see some folks have it more difficult than others. How do you deconstruct potroast, fish & chips (oh by the way, Toby's back). Or paella. But the chefs get down to it. You can tell right away who has done this deconstruction technique and who hasn't. Kevin draws mole and thinks, ok, you want deconstucted mole, you're going to get deconstructed mole! Jen draws meat lasagna and spends the whole episode misdirecting Tom and the cameras into thinking she doesn't know what she's doing. Mike I doesn't know what eggs florentine is. Geez, and you think robin doesn't belong here? I bet Robin knows how to make eggs florentine. The brothers were made for this. Mike V even bakes his own bread for croutons and encapsulates his salad dressing. Although I have to ask Bryan since when is tuna part of a rueben? It becomes apparent as the episode goes on that the meaning of deconstruction has been totally lost in translation for poor Ron. Kevin and Eli spend a good deal of time giving him ideas on how to do this, given that it's obviously not something he even understands, but its all for naught. Ron overcooks everything, can't get the crust, and Michelle is dismayed. Poor Ron goes home, while Yukon Cornelius strikes Celphalon cookware with deconstructed mole. Oh, and if you don't like Toby, watch and rewatch the scene where Michelle takes him down more than a few pegs. It's totally worth it. How do you say paella?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junc... jbug 09-24-09 1
   RE: Episode 6: Substitutions NewFan 09-24-09 2
   RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junc... frodis 09-25-09 5
       RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junc... jbug 09-26-09 9
 RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junc... dabo 09-25-09 3
 RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junc... frodis 09-25-09 4
 Why do cancer people get all the fu... udg 09-26-09 6
   RE: Why do cancer people get all th... mtb002 09-26-09 7
   RE: Why do cancer people get all th... jbug 09-26-09 8
       RE: Why do cancer people get all th... mtb002 09-27-09 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-24-09, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
Eggs Florentine = Egg foreign to me

I really didn't get those who changed the basic ingredients of the dish - ie tuna for a rueben?
Ashley's piece of steak (I think) instead of a beef roast?
Jen's hunk of meat (don't remember what it was exactly) instead of ground meat in the lasagne?
But? the judges seemed to like these - go figure!
I thought they were supposed to just break the dish down; not re-invent it. That's a different challenge.

Agman 2009

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

NewFan 139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-24-09, 05:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NewFan Click to send private message to NewFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode 6: Substitutions"
I thought the judges contradicted themselves here. I didn't get the tuna in a rueben either, but the judges seemed to love it. On the other hand, I know someone else was reprimanded for substituting another ingredient that was much closer than tuna for pastrami/corned beef. Unfortunately I can't recall what it was, so it doesn't help my case very much, does it!

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-25-09, 11:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
I agree with you that Mike with his tuna reuben was more on the side of reinventing the dish than deconstructing it.

But the other ones, Ashley's pot roast and Jennifer's lasagna, I agree with their choices there. I was thinking that if I were Jennifer and had to deconstruct meat lasagna I would have used braised beef short rib (mostly because Padma always goes bonkers for short ribs.)

I think when you're deconstructing a dish, each individual component becomes much more important because it has to stand on its own. So that's why you'd use a piece of good quality sirloin instead of pot roast meat - which by its nature is lower quality meat. Same reason why Jenn wouldn't use ground beef. Ground beef really kidn of hides in whatever dish it's a part of but when you're deconstructing the "meat" in "meat lasagna" has it be its own delicious component. She wouldn't have wanted to just put a scoop of ground beef on the plate to be the "meat" element - that would be sort of icky.

Instead of just breaking a dish down they were trying to isolate and elevate each element. Solo, each element shines and put together, they become the dish.

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

09-26-09, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
See? this is why I love this board!
While watching the show, I really didn't understand what they meant by deconstructing. (I'm not much of a cook )
Thanks your your view Fro. Now it makes perfect sense.

And? is that a hot pastrami sammich? I've give, well a lot, for a good hot pastrami right now!

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-09, 02:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
I really enjoyed this ep, though in the end the you get to deconstruct a BLT, you get to deconstuct a PBS, you get to deconstruct butter on toast, you get to deconstruct Oysters Rockefeller, you get to deconstruct pasta salad, you get to deconstruct Jambalaya, etc. interesting TV but way unfair.

Sorry to see Ron go, liked him, but in the end he was out of his league.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-25-09, 11:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Episode 6: Deconstruction junction, what's your function?"
I'm glad they finally had a deconstruction challenge. Every season there are chefs who deconstruct stuff and it's usually not such a hot idea. It just goes to show that a good dish is a function of both the whole AND the sum of its parts.

They really don't like Robin, do they? They way they edited her yammering away about rattlesnakes and then again in the kitchen all the time did make her seem particularly annoying. I liked how she made a point of asking BigMouthMike for a Mattin scarf and then didn't really wear it - she just tucked it into her pocket hankie-style.

Why didn't Lurleen just fry her potato chips in oil to begin with? What was she trying to do with them? Why was she so pissy overall this episode? She should have deconstructed crabcakes.

How did Mike not know what eggs florentine is? It's eggs and spinach and cheese sauce. It's on many a greasy spoon diner menu, hotel breakfast bar, Mother's Day Brunch buffet, etc. It's not, say, mole negro.

Eli's crunchy balls looked really weird. I'll have to take the panel's word for it that they tasted good.

Poor Ron. He just didn't get it. Ever. Didn't he get called out for overcooking something on every single challenge? Good luck, Ron. You were in over your head in this deconstructed shark tank.

A Mmmmmmmoonie plate special!

udg 3038 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-26-09, 02:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Why do cancer people get all the fun?"
It's just not fair. Not everyone can get cancer. They should limit the competition only to those who have never overcome adversity in any way, shape, or form.

Slice n' Dice's Sigpic Chop Shop 2004

09-26-09, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Why do cancer people get all the fun?"
I understand that when someone you don't have warm fuzzy feelings about uses a perceived advantage which isn't based on talent, you're going to have a bad reaction. I also understand that they are now in week 6, they're all getting tired and having trouble holding their tongues. Eli is also the youngest chef left, so he maybe just has some growing up to do. Hopefully, when he sees this played back, he'll see he went a little overboard. I'm not going to crucify him for it, but I hope he at least back tracks a little on the reunion show. Although judging from some of the promos, this actually escalates instead of going away.

Robin's not helping her cause, either. She's one of those folk who thinks that the way to break uncomfortable silence is to talk more. And more. And even more. We all know people like that. I'm pretty sure if someone had the maturity/patience or the huevos to say, "you know, we appreciate that you want the kitchen to be a fun place, but some of us need quiet to concentrate and put out our best dish. Can you tone it down a bit?" that she wouldn't have a problem with that. But we may never find out.

09-26-09, 09:29 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Why do cancer people get all the fun?"
Didn't Ron (from Haiti) play on his being adrift in the ocean for many long days?

09-27-09, 10:07 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Why do cancer people get all the fun?"
Yes, but the other chefs seem to like Ron.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •