The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Top Chef NY Ep 9"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-22-09, 01:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Top Chef NY Ep 9"

Restaurant Wars!

Okay, admittedly I only caught bits of this while flipping channels, I will have to take some time later to watch the tape, get the whole experience. Typically the Restaurant Wars episode marks a turning point in the season when they really afterwards start to up the ante. I do love the Restaurant Wars.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9 jbug 01-22-09 1
 RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9 cipher5150 01-22-09 2
   RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9 jbug 01-22-09 3
       RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9 cipher5150 01-22-09 5
   RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9 Ahtumbreez 01-22-09 4
 RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9 ARnutz 01-23-09 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-09, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9"
It must be torture when the chefs have to work in kitchens where the ovens are too hot or the freezers won't freeze. Wonder if equipment is sabotodged on purpose to see if they can handle it?
That would seem unfair tho to those who did not have to use faulty equipment so I guess/hope not.

I knew when the 2 "owners' where announced that there would be trouble. Neither of those have shown what it takes to run a restaurant. Radika was way over her head. In hindsight she said she should have made Jeff be the house person; I disagree. Jeff was needed in the kitchen. Carla should have been in the front. Even tho she is a bit loud at times, I think she could have carried it off.

As much as I don't like Stephan's attitude (apparently none of the chefs care much for him either), he is consistent with this dishes. Yes, he was arrogant in not telling whats her name what the 2 desserts would be; but he saved her skin with them.
I loved Fabio in the front of the house. I knew when he volunteered he would be good at that. I think he volunteered because he likes flirting.

Will you be mine? Ok, get in line behind Agman.....

I'm staring at your 17,999 up there and for some reason it's making me nervous....

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-22-09, 01:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9"
I too love Restaurant Wars!!!

A brief recap for those that missed it…Leah and Radika (sp) won the quick fire that was supposed to be about their vision as a chef/owner. They would be the heads of the two restaurants and got to pick their teams from the other chefs. The teams were Leah, Hosea, Fabio, and Stefan (Team Sunset Grille?), and Radika, Jaime, Jeff, and Carla (can’t remember the team name – something Pan-Asian). Nobody wanted Stefan on their team and eventually Leah was stuck with him – he pretended like he didn’t care and I pretended that I didn’t find it amusing.

Radika couldn’t get anyone on her team to work the front of the house so she had to do it, although she clearly did not want to and was uncomfortable doing it. Her first mistake in a long line of mistakes this episode. She apparently missed the memo that leaders delegate. She should have assigned it to Carla as she is a very bubbly, gregarious person. Fabio, who could charm a snake, worked the front of the house for the other team.

The food came and the judges seemed to love or like all of Radika’s team’s food except for the desserts, which they hated (all made by Carla). Aside from the desserts their biggest complaint was what a poor job Radika was doing in the front of the house. She wasn’t properly overseeing the wait staff, she kept disappearing into the kitchen for long periods of time, and she generally had the disposition of Eeyore. After she disappeared into the kitchen once again they simply got up and left.

Leah’s team appeared to do very poorly on the food. While the judges liked a few of the dishes well enough they were kind of lukewarm about a few of them and there were several that they really disliked including a fish that was very undercooked. However, they loved the desserts, which were all made by Stefan, and they were very impressed by Fabio.

In the end the judges felt the two teams were overall fairly even and they picked the winner based on the comment cards of the restaurant guests. Leah’s team barely won and Stefan was the winning chef.

It was clear that the two on the block were Radika and Carla. Radika said something like she didn’t feel it was her responsibility to exert authority over the chefs, staff, etc. Carla said she knew she was serving crap but she served it with love and she felt that would come across to the guests and then Tom’s head exploded.

Radika got the axe.

Sorry to see her go if only because she seemed to bring a different kind of food than the rest. She seemed to be a good chef but she doesn’t have the personality --maybe it’s just a lack of self-confidence -- to back it up. At least that is something she can achieve with more experience.

I feel Carla is marked for death. Tom was so taken aback by her comments I think they will be echoing in his head in future episodes.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-09, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9"
Good recap. (did you forget about the make-out session between Leah & Hosea? I understand, I'm trying to forget that too.)

Question here: Do all chefs want to be restaurant owners?
This is Top Chef. Does that mean the chef should be able to prepare and present wonderfully perfect food? We expect a chef to be able to direct his/her staff, right?
But? does a top chef have to want to own a restaurant?
Maybe they all do; I'm asking.
Might a top chef be happy in the kitchen taking care of everything there and leaving all the other headaches to the owner?

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-22-09, 03:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9"
Yeah, I don’t know how I could forget these two making out – made worse by the fact that they both have significant others. I understand they are stressed, lonely, whatever, but seriously, can you not see the camera guys standing five feet from you filming your mashing??? I’m very interested to find out what happened to their existing relationships.

I wrestled with the whole chef vs owner thing too and finally came to the resolution that even if you are not the owner, a head chef (at a high end restaurant) has pretty much complete autonomy (and the responsibility) to run the kitchen and has a large say in how the front of the house is run. Kind of like a producer vs a director on a film – the producer fronts the money and hires a director to bring his vision to life. The director pretty much runs the show and the producer only gets involved if he needs/wants to. But if the front of the house is being poorly run I would expect any good chef to be very vocal about it.

I doubt that all chefs want to be owners but the main prize on this show is money to start your own restaurant (although once they get the check they can probably use it for whatever they want). A lot of the chefs we’ve seen already own a restaurant. And although many have previously expressed their desire to open their own restaurant, I don’t remember any of them ever saying they didn’t want to open a restaurant.

I think the problem that many of them have with this challenge is not feeling comfortable having authority over their peers/friends. Radika especially seemed to have a problem with this – like she didn’t want to make her friends mad at her.

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings

01-22-09, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9"
Thanks for the recap . For those of us that don't get Bravo *kicks cable company we appreciate it, especially during the episodes that aren't shown on the website *kicks Bravo.

Agman took me to the islands

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-09, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top Chef NY Ep 9"
The real question is...

when are Carla's eyes going to actually pop out of her head?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •