The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Beauty and the Geek Forum (Protected)
Original message

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-13-05, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
The other night I rewatched "BATG" and "The Scholar" and realized that "The Scholar" has some lessons to teach other reality shows, especially ones like BATG (Ashton, are you listening? ) For those of you who haven't seen "The Scholar" (which, unfortunately, is the majority of the population) or read the postings or Cygnus' summary, the show has some very unique elements (at least I think they're unique since everything is still speculation at this point). But this is a show where everyone's a winner and no one is really eliminated in the "Survivor" or "Apprentice" sense (and the only reality shows I've ever seen all include eliminations).
"The Scholar" features 10 really bright high school seniors all vying for 5 places in a finale where one will win a $250,000 scholarship. The other four each win $50,000 and the five who don't make it to the finale all receive $20,000. But I think that all 10 will still be there at the end. By the last or next to last episode, 4 places will be taken and the other six will vie for the final spot. So no one eliminated and all 10 will be learning from each other and forming relationships for the entire time. This is especially true since it appears that the teams will be reshuffled each week. The five who don't make the finale and the four who don't win the ultimate scholarship will be there to console and support each other.
After watching "Scholar", I think that this is how shows like "Beauty and the Geek" and "Average Joe" should work. "Beauty" is called a "social experiment". It's based on friendship and growth and not romance. In fact, on last week's episode, I thought the most touching moment was between two of the guys. They're all teaching each other. So why send the couples home so early? Let them all stay until the end. Some of the guys were just getting comfortable with the opposite sex. Why stop the learning experience just as it's getting started? The same could be said of "Average Joe" since many of those guys got really close, only to have the friendships cut off as people were eliminated. I think that there would be a lot less humiliation factor if there weren't eliminations.
Why not make some of these reality shows about inclusion, rather than elimination? Many of these contestants are socially challenged, so why not give them as much opportunities for social growth as possible?
Of course, "The Scholar" is doing really poorly in the ratings, so my ideas may be completely counter to what reality programmers and most viewers want but in a perfect world, why not let people feel good about themselves as long as possible?
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Sch... Cyndimaus 06-13-05 1
   RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Sch... RealityMom 06-13-05 2
       RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Sch... Cyndimaus 06-13-05 3
 RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Sch... Cygnus X1 06-15-05 4
   RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Sch... RealityMom 06-15-05 5
 RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Sch... RealityMom 07-07-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-13-05, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
I like your idea. I know that the eliminations make for "good" tv but there are so many shows with that aspect to it that it would be nice to see a few without it. I think it would make for some great viewing to see how relationships develop throughout the whole run of a show. I was thinking along your same lines with regards to BATG. Give the girls a chance to get out of "shallowville" and the guys a chance to break out their geek shell. I think it would bring a whole different level to the shows.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-13-05, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
Thanks, Cyndi,
I keep thinking about Joe, especially. I think he was really starting to change. I would have loved for all four who've been eliminated to have had the chance to learn more from each other.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-13-05, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
I was thinking the same thing. And I think that it's interesting that it's not just the guys who are learning from the experience, the girls are learning too. Guess we can dream about what it would be like if everyone stayed in the house for longer!

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-15-05, 01:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
RM, I know I didn't mention it in my summary, but I agree that it's a good thing that the weekly elimination isn't a part of The Scholar. It's a pleasant departure from the usual reality formula.

Now if only the lousy production aspects of the show didn't get in the way of what really isn't a bad overall concept.

I have to catch my breath after the number and frequency of cuts on this show.

06-15-05, 02:55 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
LAST EDITED ON 06-15-05 AT 02:57 AM (EST)

Cygnus,
After the first episode, we weren't sure exactly how the show would work, so to include the non-elimination in your summary would have probably been premature. Also, speculation would have broken the great rhythm you had going in your summary which was really clever. I especially loved your line about the Apathy Club that no one attends.
It was really nice that Monday's show confirmed what we speculated- that this is a show that is able to get beyond the Survivor mindset and provide a format that allows for the most growth and positive experience, given that it is still ultimately a competition. I wish more shows would follow this lead.

07-07-05, 12:45 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Beauty and the Geek and The Scholar: Combining the two into a really great one!"
I posted this idea near the beginning of the "Beauty and the Geek" series and after the finale last night, I do think that the show would be improved if it adopted some of "The Scholar" aspects. I would have really liked to have team re-shuffling and would have especially liked for this to be a show without exclusions. I wish that Joe and some of the others had a chance to be here until the end. I think that they might have had more potential for growth and change than the two teams that were in the finale. Once again, Ashton, do you peek at these boards?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •