The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

michel2 1391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-21-16, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
I'll start the thread for Aruba since he is "enjoying" all the work of real life.

The Good Players

1- Anna: Most viewers will make a big deal of her introductory confessional, saying that “pushing up her boobs” isn’t a way to play the game but I think she showed that she was much more than a beautiful woman. She had an important confessional in each of her tribe’s segment, she formed an alliance with the other two women, forming a close bond to Julia and she is in a good position to choose which way the tribe would vote if they have to go to Tribal Council. Her performance at the end of the challenge showed that she can "walk the walk."

2- Scot: The mountain man had a terrific first episode. He proved to be likable and a strategist, a much better Survivor than Cliff, Rocker and Culpepper. I’m not convinced that he’ll go as far as Hogeboom though! He may be making a mistake putting so much trust in Jason but right now they need each other. With Darnell’s elimination, these two will certainly remain in control of the tribe. What piqued my interest were his words about knocking people to the ground. How will that apply when he has to deal with members of the opposing tribes? I’m expecting sparks!

3- Aubry: Despite not getting a confessional in the opening, Aubry still gave us a good first impression with the way she plunged into the sea and into the game. Her anxiety attack could be an indication that she won’t be able to cope with the harsh conditions but I saw it the other way around. It wasn’t the conditions that affected her as much as it was her own worries. Her incredible performance in the challenge will do wonders to her morale so I think Aubry will be fine. Peter already told us that she was the best. That could be a hint of what to expect from her down the road.

4- Jennifer: She must have been excruciating pain when that little worm was digging in her ear. What I liked was that she showed her resolve afterwards. Her goal is to make it to the end and she already got over a big hurdle. The viewers will say she did her best in the challenge but didn’t get the right help from her tribe mates. All this connected her to the audience and many will be pulling for her. We will have to see if she carries that momentum in the next episodes or if she disappears behind her tribe’s two big guys.

5- Julia: I was very impressed with all three women of the Beauty tribe and it certainly wasn’t only due to their looks. All three understood the social aspect of the game and quickly bonded. That makes them all contenders for the end game. Of course, the real test will come when they are confronted by members of the other tribes. As for Julia in particular, I liked her approach to the game. Despite being the youngest one out there, she gets it. She quickly made a bond with Anna and they aligned with Michelle. They both liked Tai but more importantly, Julia told Anna about Caleb and saw a way that they could use him. The challenge looked lost for the Beauty tribe until Julia and Anna saved them in extremis. Julia didn’t boast about her puzzle skills, she just did it which fits nicely with the theme of “actions speaking louder than words” that Jeff alluded to at the end of TC.

6- Jason:Jason: I think he was the big star of the evening and quickly became a top contender. He is a strategist and a very entertaining character in confessional. If I add those traits to a vague resemblance and a red t-shirt then Jason made me think of Chris Daugherty. Jason’s main problem could come from a collapse of the Brawn tribe because no one would let him skate by if he doesn’t have the numbers. That’s where the comparison to Chris fails. If the swap falls just right, giving him an opening to make new allies, then he could be a force down the road. Like Chris, he certainly knows how to make quick and varied alliances.

7- Michelle Like Julia, she had a quiet episode but it wasn’t without interest. Even if Anna and Julia appeared to be closer, it was Michelle that got the women working together. She also gave us a good assessment of her tribe and added a fun comment about being seen by Nick when she is “disgustingly dirty”. It adds a nice layer to her character. She is on the Beauty tribe but she isn’t caught up in her looks. It’ll be important to see if she can play an active game but for now it was enough to see her inside a tight alliance.

8- Caleb: Now here is a surprise. I didn't think I'd ever put Caleb in the good players category! He had a great episode, making fire and using his strength to push the boat up the hill. Better still, he saw his history in Big Brother turn into a positive for the women. They remembered him as a loyal ally and seemed to have forgotten that he had a creepy crush on one female player, falling in love with her practically overnight. Caleb isn’t a smart strategist but he could go far if his social game holds up. If he gets close to the end, he could become a threat to win the remaining challenges. He seems much more relaxed in the jungle than in the house.

9- Nick: I really liked his grand entrance, sitting on the prow of the ship as if on top of the world. Unfortunately, that kind of body language doesn’t go unnoticed and Nick didn't get into any alliances. That's not very good. Despite the women’s alliance and their early love for Tai, I don’t think the tribe would risk losing one of their strongest members in what looks to be a very physical season.

The Bad Players

1- Debbie: One thing where I am in complete agreement with Aruba concerns returning players. While I liked the first All-stars, Guatemala Micronesia and the first Blood versus Water, the rest have been abominations. Aruba sees those seasons as non-Survivor and ignores them but they have a much more pernicious effect on the show: Survivor used to be a once in a lifetime experience so players tried to win. Nowadays, Survivor can be a way to have a recurring role in prime time television! Players returning 2, 3 or even 4 times is simply nauseating because the dumbasses play for the cameras instead of for the win. Debbie is a prime example. She has ZERO CHANCE of winning yet she's probably already punched her ticket for a second chance season. INCREDIBLE!!!!

At least, I found it funny when the editors switched the caption under her name from “Chemist” to “Waitress”. It wasn’t as hilarious as Phillip’s famous question mark but it seemed to tell us that even the staff didn’t quite know what to make of her. For all her boasts, she didn’t do anything during the challenge and she didn’t get into the tribe’s main alliance.

2- Alecia: It’s not very good when you describe yourself as a “mental giant” and everyone rolls their eyes. To understand Scot’s frustration just before Tribal Council, we have to imagine that the episode didn’t show all of her scheming. She could very well push herself out of the game if this tribe returns to Tribal Council in one of the next 2 episodes. She needs to show that she can be a docile ally, not a scheming one. Maybe TC will have shocked her into it.

3-Tai: The charismatic gardener certainly wasn't as bad as the top two but he had it made and let it slip through his fingers. The three girls had fallen for him and he seemed assured to make it far in the game. Now, we aren’t so sure because he lost their trust with his little escapade in the jungle. Tai is so likable that we have to think no one would be dumb enough to keep him around to the end. For now, we have to say that Tai’s actions don’t measure up to his words. Yes, he climbed up a tree to get coconuts but he can’t be called a provider yet. He certainly didn’t bring back food from the jungle. He also failed to find the idol. He’ll need to fix the damage that his search created.

The Boring Players

1- Peter: Despite getting the first confessional, Peter was the most boring player in this episode. For being compared to Obama, he didn’t show any leadership skills and he certainly didn’t act as a unifying character for the tribe. He mostly talked about their division, already splitting this house in two.

2-Joe: He seems to be there for the adventure, a player on a journey instead of a real contender. His introduction told us that he considered this the ultimate adventure and not much more.

3- Neal: Neal was a very pessimistic character. He vividly remembers Luzon and expects this new Brains tribe to follow the same path. Will the win change his mood? That will be something to watch in the next episodes. For now, Neal only talked negatively about his tribe mates and he wasn't even funny. A disastrous casting decision.

4- Cydney: She told us that she would get her tribe to see the light during Tribal Council. She wasn’t able to deliver on that promise and she didn’t do much during the challenge either. With Jason, Scot and Jenny forming the main alliance, Cydney has to worry that Alecia may become the easier one to drag along, especially if they avoid the next Tribal Council or two and Blondie has time to show her loyalty. Cydney promised to entertain us with her multiple personalities, Storm and Rebecca, but I saw Bland, Blander and Blandest.

5-Liz: Being here means I have more hope that Liz can climb out of this group than the other four but she didn't show much in the premiere despite three confessionals. She was definitely not as negative as Neal but, like him, she has doubts about her tribe. Still, she backed her words by helping the tribe win the challenge. She’s in a four person alliance or so it seems. I’m not convinced that all the children will want to see their “parents” leave. Keeping her alliance together could be Liz’s biggest challenge.

How do you rate these DAWS?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... kingfish 02-22-16 1
 RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... Aruba 02-22-16 2
   RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... michel2 02-22-16 3
       RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... kingfish 02-23-16 4
       RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... Aruba 02-23-16 5
           RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... michel2 02-24-16 6
               RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... Aruba 02-24-16 7
                   RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the... michel2 02-24-16 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kingfish 18775 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-22-16, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-16 AT 01:04 PM (EST)

It's difficult to form opinions when I still can't remember tribal names, members, or survivor names. But on the whole you nailed it, and with a few exceptions, I pretty much agree.

Exceptions: Audry - That anxiety attack put a dot on her forehead, I'm afraid. She did make a comeback of sorts, but still, the memory of her weakness should linger for a week or so. I'd put her in the "Not good Not Bad but almost Boring" category.

Tai - Being targeted because he went off to search for an HI is overblown as a detriment to his game, I think. Everyone will do that, or they certainly should. And his value around camp and entertaining personality should keep him around for a few weeks.

No doubt he is viewed as kinda sneaky, but who isn't?

I would elevate him to the "Good Game" category.

Caleb - I agree with your placement, he had a good first episode, and seemed to show improvement in attitude and game play from his BB season. However we did get to see him in many more informal conversations over a longer time with his companions in the BB house, and we did get to watch him be played by Derrick et al. so I think it's just a matter of time before we get to see the old Caleb do some stuff that will sink his game.

Nick - Bad player. Is his strategy really to try and not show the others how smart he is? If so, his strategic emphasis is really off target.

As for the rest, they seem as muddled and directionless as most are on their first day. Except for Debbie. She is, according to her, certain that with all her experience, maturity, and wisdom she will prevail. While her decision to form a two person "old people" alliance to work against a four person "young person" alliance might be seen by some as poor strategy as well as bad math, obviously she doesn't see it that way.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Aruba 2315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

02-22-16, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
WOW, I didn’t expect a list this week. Pretty much everything I would have noted in my list I’ve assessed in my other posts thus far.

I agree Jason was the star of the Premier and would be my #1 on the list for all the reasons I stated in my Fanatic Forum post. Interesting analogy to Chris Daugherty. Not sure of the ages of Jason’s daughters. Even if they’re old enough to watch I doubt he’ll be a model of integrity, i.e. Tom Westman; but I’ll be hard pressed to think he’ll be the lying sack of sh!t Chris was in Vanuatu if he’ll have to answer to his children when he returns home.

Tai was penciled in as my #2 until the debacle during the HII search. His dismal attempt at damage control dropped him to the middle of my good section, but not so far to sink to the “bad.” He made it abundantly clear he would continue to search and should his relentless efforts result in an idol find then more power to him.

I stated in Fanatics Julia would be ranked high so I’d have her at #3. Only reason not #2 is because Caleb started fire and had a very good episode himself.

My remaining Good are ranked as follows:

4. Scot
5. Anna
6. Tai
7. Jennifer
8. Michele
9. Nick

I disagree with Aubry. Yes, Holly in Nicaragua proved you could start off as a basket case yet rebound to advance deep into the game. For the reasons you mentioned could Aubry take a page from Holly and have the same success? It’s possible, but I won’t play Nostradamus or spoiler narrator and will only comment on the Premier. With that said her anxiety attack meltdown will not be overlooked and cannot be excused this early in the game. Consequently she’s in my Bad section for my initial ranking.

My Bad is ranked as follows (worst to least worst):

1. Debbie – by a longshot!
2. Aubry
3. Alecia

My boring is listed as follows:

1. Neal
2. Peter
3. Joe
4. Cydney

You are dead-on with your assessments for everyone in this section.

BOOTED) Darnell – It’s not that often the season’s first TC results in a majority of voters getting it right. They sucked in the challenge but redeemed themselves at TC.

02-22-16, 10:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-16 AT 10:24 PM (EST)

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post in Fanatics. I thought this list was always in Basher, no?

As for your list, I must point out that Aubry was the clear MVP of that challenge. She got the four paddles and then solved the puzzle. How can YOU see her as a bad player? She felt ill after WORKING a bit TOO MUCH. While doing it in the sun wasn't the best idea, it's not something that should be held against her.

As for Tai, what he said when he got caught was dumb, pure and simple. "Can you give me five more minutes alone to look for it?" That is the definition of a bad player. The worst is that he had promised the tribe to bring them food from the jungle. He should have used that excuse instead. He could have gone out for only a few minutes, bring back some edible roots or at least fire wood. Then go out a little longer, bring back some coconuts, go back out now for half an hour and come back with more provisions. By then, the tribe wouldn't have worried about an idol giving him all the lattitude to look.

kingfish 18775 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-23-16, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
This list does tend to be more of a basher's list. For me anyway.

Aubry did do well in the challenge, but not good enough to push her up to the Good level, not yet. MVP? The MVPs were the guys/gals who pushed that dam boat up the ramp. Aubry was in there trying, but it can't be said with a straight face that she really contributed on the MVP level to that.

And Tai did screw up, but his overall demeanor still puts him in the "Good Game" category, and in the "Sneaky" subcategory. The editors had a lot to do with his negative portrayal, I believe, and I still think his game is better than the others on his tribe. And I would contest that the plan you laid out was what he should have thought of. There are a lot of ways to husk a coconut, and the way he handled it, while maybe not the best, didn't result in a big blowup, so it can't have been a really negative thing for him. Give his tribemates a little time to be distracted by some other shiny stone.

02-23-16, 08:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
My first post this week was in the Bashers so it’s fine to start the List here. My Fanatics post gave a positive slant on the Premier.

The main reason Brains did not finish last in the challenge was because of dopey Darnell's debacle and Alecia freezing during the puzzle stage. Had those inexcusable examples of ineptness not occurred, Chanloh most likely makes the initial walk to TC despite any individual efforts from the Brains.

The most crucial part of that challenge was getting the darn boat up that ramp…and no one did that better than Caleb. If anyone should be credited with “MVP” honors it would be a player on the WINNING team; not someone on a team that did not finish last.

Very, very, VERY rarely does an MVP honor get awarded to an individual on a team that does NOT win and finish first. And, once again, given the fact that Brawn darn near handed runner-up status to Brains on a Silver Platter, I make no exception here.

OK, so Aubry was working under the hot sun. And your point is? Was she the ONLY one working under the hot sun?? Far from it. But she was the only one who came apart at the seams and had an obnoxious meltdown only two days into the game. Any way you slice it, that’s “Bad.”

I repeatedly admitted Tai’s failure at damage control was sad and for that reason alone he appropriately plummeted several places in my ranking. Did he handle it poorly? Yes. But let’s be realistic...Tai’s tribe mates were keenly aware he was searching for the HII LONG before they eventually caught up to him. Now you’re trying to convince me (us) had he rung the dinner bell by holding up a bunch of dirty roots, they would have believed him and he would have defused the situation?? Please don’t make me laugh!

Bottom line, he was playing hard and searching hard for the idol. Tony in Cagayan searched hard during his season and his idol finds put him in great position to earn the million dollars. Mike in Worlds Apart also searched hard contributing to a most satisfying and well-earned victory. By no means am I saying Tai is a Tony or Mike, but at least he’s searching hard and if his proactive play results in an idol find, more power to him.

To reiterate Kingfish’s comment in his reply, Tai did work hard around camp and provide for his tribe. Unless you can convince me the sun was shining brighter and hotter at the Chanloh camp, at least Tai didn’t display an inexcusable day two anxiety attack spectacle. That’s “Good!”

02-24-16, 01:38 AM (EST)
6. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
Aruba wrote: "The most crucial part of that challenge was getting the darn boat up that ramp…and no one did that better than Caleb. If anyone should be credited with “MVP” honors it would be a player on the WINNING team; not someone on a team that did not finish last."

I'm guessing something distracted you because Caleb was on the team that almost finished last. The final order was: Brains all alone in first while Beauty finished only a second or two ahead of Brawn, thanks to Julia and Anna.

From what was shown, the Beauty tribe had a terrible time getting the boat in the craddle and clipping the wheels but once that was done, the three tribes took just about the same amount of time pushing the boat/cart up the hill. Therefore that wasn't the crucial part. Getting the paddles, clipping the wheels and the puzzle were the keys. Aubry starred in two of those three parts ergo the MVP.

I love how you can diagnose people from thousands of miles away and 1 year after the fact. Yes, Aubry got ill because of the heat and not Tai. First of all, we heard she was from the Northwest and just out of winter while Tai lived most of his life under that climate. Makes it easier to adjust. Next, how can we tell if the conditions are the same on each beach? It's possible that one beach has much more coolling winds to offer. Also, how can we tell if she didn't have a touch of the flu or something else that contributed to her temporary condition? As a player, she was probably the best on that dull tribe.

02-24-16, 06:44 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
Getting the boat up that ramp was daunting for all the teams. It was the most difficult part of the challenge. What I'm saying if not for Caleb the Beauty tribe would STILL be trying to move that boat up to where they can START the puzzle portion.

I never said Caleb specifically should be awarded MVP...I said a player on the WINNING team. If you want to give your vote to Julia or Anna (on the winning tribe,) knock yourself out. But not someone from the team that did not finish last because of dopey Darnell and inept Alecia.

This year's Superbowl celebrated its Golden Anniversary and had a nice pregame program honoring ALL the 49 MVPs from the past Superbowls. Only ONE...yes you see that right...ONE played for the team that did not win. Counting the game just played a few weeks ago that makes only one out of 50! Very rare...VERY rare indeed.

I thought Aubry talked about leaving from the Boston area? The same area young Julia hails from. In any event, castaways who departed from the cold Northeast were Michele, Anna, Liz, and Debbie. Regardless where she referenced it could not be any colder or harsher than Minnesota (Peter.) Michigan and Chicago ain't exactly "hotbeds" either. The excuse Aubry made could not have been any lamer. At the end of the day with the tens of thousands who apply or are recruited for Survivor to settle on one who melts like the ice cream Neal sells because of the Cambodian weather is yet another black eye for the pathetically incompetent CBS Casting Crew.

02-24-16, 11:34 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Ranking Players: The Good, the Bad and the Boring"
You've still missed the point: Aubry was on the winning team, Caleb, Julia or Anna were not! Brains won, not Beauty who simply didn,t finish last!! Listen to Jeff who said that Aubry did an amazing job both with the paddle and during the puzzle. And since she was the challenge's MVP Aubry didn't really melt, did she?!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •