The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

tortfeasorette 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-19-04, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tortfeasorette Click to send private message to tortfeasorette Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
Simon Cowell was interviewed in today's New York Times and reveals his pick to win it all, among other things.

You have to register to read the article (registration is free), but here's the article.

(Hope I did the link right...)

He picks Diana, by the way. And takes a big shot at LaToya...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... kileh2 05-19-04 1
 RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... wildchickenhunter 05-19-04 2
   Text of Article tortfeasorette 05-19-04 3
       LaToya's comments Breezy 05-19-04 4
           Breezy nailed it dangerkitty 05-19-04 6
               RE: Breezy nailed it Breezy 05-19-04 8
           RE: LaToya's comments unitabackup 05-19-04 9
               RE: LaToya's comments AsianOK 05-19-04 19
           RE: LaToya's comments Karennz 05-19-04 14
               RE: LaToya's comments anotherkim 05-19-04 16
       RE: Text of Article zombiebaby 05-19-04 5
       RE: Text of Article bob_chester 05-19-04 7
       RE: Text of Article true 05-19-04 13
           RE: Text of Article anotherkim 05-19-04 17
           RE: Text of Article grit 05-20-04 23
               RE: Text of Article Breezy 05-20-04 24
                   I didn't know that... grit 05-20-04 25
                       Isn't it fun? Breezy 05-20-04 26
 RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... idlegossip 05-19-04 10
   RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... shedevil 05-19-04 11
       RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... idlegossip 05-19-04 12
           RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... shedevil 05-19-04 15
               RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... idlegossip 05-19-04 18
                   RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Artic... shedevil 05-19-04 21
               Eye Candy callalilly3000 05-19-04 20
                   RE: Eye Candy IslandFever 05-20-04 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

kileh2 8 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-19-04, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kileh2 Click to send private message to kileh2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
Darn, He didn't mention if he was going to cut his wrists when jasmine wins the competition!!

hehe

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-19-04, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wildchickenhunter Click to send private message to wildchickenhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
Wouldn't mind seeing article.
Won't register with NYT.

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

tortfeasorette 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-19-04, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tortfeasorette Click to send private message to tortfeasorette Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Text of Article"
Lemme see if I can paste the text in here (sorry for any weird paragraph breaks):

Here Comes the Judge: Take Cover, Would-Be Idols

May 19, 2004
By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

Simon Cowell, the imperious judge of Fox's call-in talent
show "American Idol," was raised just north of London, in a manor house called Abbots Mead. His father was on the board of the record company EMI; after graduating from high school, Mr. Cowell worked in the company's mailroom. He went on to create novelty musical acts of professional wrestlers, the Power Rangers and celebrities like David Hasselhoff. Mr. Cowell made pop stars, in other words, out of athletes, toys and actors.

But these days Mr. Cowell is known less for eccentric hit making than for high-hatting the contestants on "American Idol," which is now in its third season. (Last Tuesday the show drew 22.8 million viewers.) Sharing a panel with the music executive Randy Jackson and the performer Paula Abdul, he opines, often bluntly, about the live performances, presumably influencing the vote, which viewers register by phone when the live show ends.

Wrapping up a contentious season, during which the show was dogged by questions about fairness and procedure, two finalists will be named tonight. Who will be cut? Jasmine Trias, the Hawaiian underdog; Diana DeGarmo, the baby-faced power-singer; or Fantasia Barrino, the irrepressible former gospel singer? In the midst of the suspense Mr. Cowell talked about racism, $300,000 cars and the madness of Fantasia. Here are excerpts from the conversation.

VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN Who's going to win "American Idol"?

SIMON COWELL Diana DeGarmo.

HEFFERNAN Oh, good Lord.

COWELL I thought she was a stage-school brat when I first
met her. But she's quite a nice girl. And she's our little Seabiscuit.

HEFFERNAN Why did La Toya London, who's such a good singer,
get kicked off last week?

COWELL She was very cold. She could have been a robot for
all the emotion or personality she put over. And she said something very stupid. She had a little bit of criticism, and she said: "I'm not the slightest bit worried. We're all winners now. We're all going to have successful careers." When she said it, I said, "She's out." Because America decides whether they're going to have successful careers. To say that was verging on arrogance.

HEFFERNAN You like to punish these people for hubris.

COWELL I don't like to punish them. But look, lots of them
will get record deals. But will they make any money or have
a career? I'm dubious.

I do try to encourage this winning mentality. And I've got
to tell you, Clay Aiken is - whatever he says in interviews
he is, or was - dreading someone as good as him coming
through the ranks. And rightly so. Because he's a winner.
It's like me seeing another talent show coming on, and pretending that I'm happy that another friend of mine has done it successfully. I'd be suicidal.

HEFFERNAN Do you agree with Elton John that the dismissal
of the black singers, who have great, powerful voices, is evidence of racism in the voting?

COWELL That was a throwaway remark. The reality is that
those people simply aren't getting enough votes. We have a
lot of passive viewers on "American Idol" who enjoy
watching, and enjoy the controversy afterward, but don't
pick up the phone.

HEFFERNAN Unlike the other judges, you don't talk much
about pitch when you comment on a performance. Why not?

COWELL I don't think I'm a music expert. I haven't got a
clue whether I've got good or bad pitch, and I couldn't
care less. I don't like that kind of criticism. This competition is not about who's singing in tune.

HEFFERNAN What do you like about a good pop performance
then?

COWELL It's like drinking a Häagen-Dazs strawberry
milkshake. Just delicious. Why do I like strawberry and not banana? I don't know. I just do.

HEFFERNAN Are you sentimental?

COWELL I don't know if I'm sentimental. But there are occasions when a song is sung and you sit back and you let it wash all over you. That's normally like a Tony Bennett song, a good Frank Sinatra song or a good Righteous Brothers song.

HEFFERNAN What about an "American Idol" song?

COWELL
Could I sit there and listen to these kids sing in a
concert? I couldn't stay there for two minutes. I couldn't think of anything worse.

HEFFERNAN Even a Clay Aiken concert?

COWELL Are you kidding? I wouldn't last a minute.

HEFFERNAN Several of the "American Idol" performers have
gospel in their pasts, and in interviews they make frequent references to God. What do you make of the religious element to the show?

COWELL Well, you know the answer to the question, don't
you? Obviously a lot of people are using it to gain votes.
Come on. You know that, and I know that.

I also don't like the constant dedications to children.
Give me a break. Like Fantasia, who has an edge on her. I
think she's used her kid twice now in the show. And you
just think: "Enough. You're now behaving like a politician rather than a pop star." It all becomes a bit gruesome.

HEFFERNAN Maybe Fantasia's cynicism adds to her serpentine appeal.

COWELL I'll try to think of it that way. With Fantasia
there is an element of unpredictability about her, in how
she performs, in what she says when she answers you back. There's a hint of madness there, which is good.

HEFFERNAN Are you a jealous person?

COWELL I'm competitive. I'm not jealous. I have a lot of friends who are billionaires. I don't envy their wealth. But if I'm releasing a record the same week as one of my competitors who may be a friend, I'm going to do anything in my power to make sure that I'm more successful than he is.

Look, I was slightly cynical of the American mentality
before I came over here, but now I preach it. Here, no
one's going to tear you down if you buy yourself a $300,000 car. They're likely to say: "Well, you probably worked hard for it. Good luck to you."

HEFFERNAN Randy Jackson. What do you think his shambling commentary adds to the show?

COWELL You know, Randy is incredibly important on the panel because he has, to use an American expression, great energy. And it's very easy to be cynical and down and depressed when you're on this show, and I've never ever seen Randy down.

HEFFERNAN Are you getting bored with "American Idol"?

COWELL No. All the things people are complaining about now:
the wrong person being kicked out, that person shouldn't be
in. I love all that. I think it's interesting.

HEFFERNAN With all the show's alumni making such bland
music, do you ever feel like you're creating monsters?

COWELL I'm not sure if we're creating monsters. "Idol"
wasn't a television company saying, "Let's put on a talent show." It was a record company saying, "Right, we need a vehicle to find new talent." At that time we believed that there was a lack of good solo artists out there. I've always said that with a bit of luck and a bit of skill or whatever this show could last for another 20 years.

HEFFERNAN Why has "American Idol" done so well?

COWELL
It's only on once a year. It's something to look forward
to. It's a very easy show to watch, and I think Fox has
been very clever, in that they didn't do what ABC did with "Millionaire," and kill it quickly because they overran it. They kind of looked after it and protected it.

HEFFERNAN Do you think the show's culturally important?

COWELL: No, I don't. People might be able to get a reality
check: it's not quite as easy to be famous as you think it
is. But I don't think it's culturally important, and it shouldn't be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/19/arts/television/19IDOL.html?ex=1085974277&ei=1&en=ca8d566620120fae

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-19-04, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "LaToya's comments"
She was very cold. She could have been a robot for
all the emotion or personality she put over. And she said something very stupid. She had a little bit of criticism, and she said: "I'm not the slightest bit worried. We're all winners now. We're all going to have successful careers." When she said it, I said, "She's out." Because America decides whether they're going to have successful careers. To say that was verging on arrogance.

There's her exact comments, and I agree that's why she was voted off.

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-19-04, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Breezy nailed it"
Ha! Breezy, I remember you saying that after LaToya got booted, and since I had missed that show and didn't know what was said, you were nice enough to email me with the quote. And now Simon validates it!

Breezy is our AI Spoiler!

dangerkitty

05-19-04, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Breezy nailed it"
I feel so validated! Strange, normally I think a woman would feel violated by Simon.

Hi dangerkitty!

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-19-04, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: LaToya's comments"
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-04 AT 01:54 PM (EST)

I took her comments to mean that hey, we made it to the final four - in that respect we're all winners (I agree). If that isn't true, then why is there a gold, silver, and bronze medals for the Olympics?

I don't think it was arrogant at all - she felt like a winner for still being in the competition at this stage of the competition.

And with a voice liker hers, she will sell records or have many more opprotunities than most I would think.

AsianOK 32 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-19-04, 10:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AsianOK Click to send private message to AsianOK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: LaToya's comments"
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-04 AT 10:13 PM (EST)

la toya wasn't arrogant at all. with the continuous complements from the judges (others didn't get this much)she knew that her rivals were just no better than she was. she was just not lucky enough to continue the competition.

i really enjoyed la toya's singing, never listened half way. perfect singing, no out of tune, no pitchy. she remained consistent throughout the competition unlike the others. whatever songs chosen, she made them sound as good as the original singers sing them.

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 07:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karennz Click to send private message to Karennz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: LaToya's comments"
I realize I'm beating a dead horse to champion LaToya at this point, but the above comments don't explain why two weeks ago Simon (and Randy and Paula) said on "Extra" that LaToya would win the title. So which is it, Simon?

And by the way there's a difference between arrogance and believing in yourself. A singer HAS to believe he/she will do well when they walk out on that stage. It shows in the performance. Just like a stomach full of nerves will show if they DON'T believe in themselves.

Rock ON, LaToya!

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: LaToya's comments"

Well, she can't win since she's been voted off, now can she? She was, in many people's opinions, the better performers if not the best. Two weeks ago it was not unrealistic to assume that she could be the winner if people were basing it on talent.

Since she's gone, if Simon is asked who he thinks will win, he has to use the name of a current contestant. Diana is his new choice. I think he was dead on when he said LaToya was just cold. Her last week she came off as arrogant to me and I was one who had voted for her many, many times in the past.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--I'm now rooting for Diana or Fantasia over Jasmine which should mean that Jasmine wins by a landslide.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Text of Article"
And she's our little Seabiscuit

I would just love it if someone compared me to a horse in the Times!

do you ever feel like you're creating monsters?

Look a shout out!

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

Thinks Simon is hilarious

bob_chester 243 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-19-04, 01:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Text of Article"
"COWELL
Could I sit there and listen to these kids sing in a
concert? I couldn't stay there for two minutes. I couldn't think of anything worse."

This is so great, he is admitting that the whole bunch is bad. LOL

They need to keep Simon on this show. He is so honest most of the time.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 03:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Text of Article"
HEFFERNAN Unlike the other judges, you don't talk much
about pitch when you comment on a performance. Why not?

COWELL I don't think I'm a music expert. I haven't got a
clue whether I've got good or bad pitch, and I couldn't
care less. I don't like that kind of criticism. This competition is not about who's singing in tune.

Buahahahahaha! I've been saying that all along. Simon obviously gets it.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Text of Article"
You are MY American Idol, True.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--I need to call you this weekend!

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-20-04, 08:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Text of Article"
This competition is not about who's singing in tune.

It ought to be.

That's like saying, The Indy500 isn't about speed...

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

05-20-04, 08:46 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Text of Article"
Racing isn't all about speed, it's about all sorts of things.
Car control
skills
track conditions
setup of car
pit stops
luck, sometimes lots of that

Quite a few times during a race if you watch the times of the cars; a guy back in the pack is actually going faster then the lead car.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-20-04, 09:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "I didn't know that..."
I thought the car that goes the fastest comes in first and wins.

That's what I get for owning a husband who has no interest in manly sporting events...

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

05-20-04, 09:11 AM (EST)
26. "Isn't it fun?"
Learning weird and sometimes useless trivia from each other? *giggle*

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

idlegossip 116 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
I have always admired Simon's honesty, because in his mind, singers are a dime a dozen, and he's saying, "Show me why you're so special". But, after watching the competition last night, seeing his wink and grin at Fantasia and then having him tell her to read the words behind her (American Idol), and holding up his hands as if she were the winner, this article is very confusing. He has liked Fantasia since the beginning. He must be figuring that America needs another Debbie Gibson or something and won't vote Fantasia in.

I tried almost the whole 2 hours to get through for Fantasia and only got 5 votes in. I like Diana okay, and after Clive told Fantasia that he'd have signed her if he heard her in a basement in Kansas, I know she'll be another Clay Aiken if she doesn't make it. But, I find her to be funny, entertaining and much more a performer than the chubby little cutesie. We already have a chubby white girl in Kelly, don't we? Diana's giggly persona is a bore. When Ryan interviewed her, she pretty much dodged everything and got away with it by giggling.

At this point, I don't care anymore. If Jasmine gets it, the show is over. If Diana gets it, prepare for more teeny bopper songs. Either way, Fantasia will be out there selling her stuff.

Maybe they interviewed Simon before the show?

(We gotta b*tch or we'll explode!)

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
I think Simon knows that the producers want Jasmine and Diana and he was telling Fantasia that she doesn't need this competition. She doesn't, I think she'll be the bigger star out of the 3 win or lose and Simon knows it. He's liked her from the beginning. He didn't like Diana and I still think he doesn't, when he compliments her his face doesn't match what he says, almost like he's reading it off of a card.

05-19-04, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
I almost cried for her when Clive said he'd sign her in a minute, and I said right there that she would be fine if she goes tonight, but I was shocked to see he picked Diana, unless he's not going with his preference, like he did last year with *yawn* Ruben.

And BTW - I saw another post where you mentioned that you love Simon. Those who don't know why we love him (other than his blatant honesty) don't understand eye candy, do they?

05-19-04, 07:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
I think you might be right about the Ruben thing, after it was over Simon said it should've been Clay who won. Yes, I love me some Simon, he is eye candy to me. His honesty is a turn-on also.

05-19-04, 09:05 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
Woohoo! Nice picture! Where's that candy store? (ha ha)

05-19-04, 11:19 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Simon Picks Winner in NYT Article"
That candy store is located in my bedroom.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-19-04, 11:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Eye Candy"
And I thought I was the only one who thought Simon was "eye candy". I'm glad to see that I am not alone.

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-20-04, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IslandFever Click to send private message to IslandFever Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Eye Candy"
I am glad Simon has toned it down. The first season he was so obnoxious I couldn't watch it. The question is whether he is eye candy to men, women, or both? I guess you would have to ask Ryan that question. Simon learned reverse psychology worked well with Clay and Ruben. Go Fantasia.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •