The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Phil got it wrong"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Kathryn in Canada 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kathryn%20in%20Canada Click to send private message to Kathryn%20in%20Canada Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Phil got it wrong"
In the insider video, he claims the hippo is the creature responsible for the most deaths in Africa. Gotta dispute that one. My guess it is either Man (through wars, genocides and AIDS) or the mosquito or other parasites(malaria.)

According to the CDC:

In areas of Africa with high malaria transmission, an estimated 990,000 people died of malaria in 1995 – over 2700 deaths per day, or 2 deaths per minute.

That's got to beat out hippos for a death rate. And I hope it also beats out Man too, because for it to be otherwise is an overwhelming thought.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Phil got it wrong Tahj 04-06-05 1
 RE: Phil got it wrong HistoryDetective 04-06-05 2
 RE: Phil got it wrong TeamJoisey 04-06-05 3
   RE: Phil got it wrong Dakota 04-06-05 4
 RE: Phil got it wrong RatPat 04-06-05 5
   RE: Phil got it wrong trudy 04-06-05 6
       RE: Phil got it wrong LibraRising 04-06-05 7
           RE: Phil got it wrong TARugh 04-09-05 20
       RE: Phil got it wrong Dakota 04-06-05 8
           RE: Phil got it wrong trudy 04-06-05 9
 RE: Phil got it wrong mysticwolf 04-07-05 10
   RE: Phil got it wrong seahorse 04-07-05 11
       RE: Phil got it wrong mysticwolf 04-07-05 12
   RE: Phil got it wrong LibraRising 04-07-05 14
   RE: Phil got it wrong Dakota 04-07-05 18
       RE: Phil got it wrong mysticwolf 04-11-05 22
 RE: Phil got it wrong waldo555 04-07-05 13
 Burden of Disease in Africa landruajm 04-07-05 15
 RE: Phil got it wrong shanana banana 04-07-05 16
 Ok, so hippos are dangerous too! Kathryn in Canada 04-07-05 17
 RE: Phil got it wrong Ruthless 04-08-05 19
 RE: Phil got it wrong TARugh 04-09-05 21
   RE: Phil got it wrong MissMyth 04-11-05 23
 Interesting hippo film Cygnus X1 04-17-05 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-06-05, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Phil didn't say that. Ron, the guide did. And, he said that the hippo was the creature, more than any other CREATURE, that was responsible for the most deaths in Africa. I think the category was limited to animals of the four legged kind, not humans or insects.

Moves courtesy of Syren

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-06-05, 06:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Welcome to the boards, Kathryn! I hope you enjoy your time with us! If you watch other reality shows, you should check out the other forums too!

a sig by syren

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-06-05, 06:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
I'm thinking American drivers moved up the list this week.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
>I'm thinking American drivers moved up
>the list this week.
>
>

LOL

But I think Kathryn is correct in that man is probably responsible for more deaths than any other creature.
I've heard many times that hippos, though herbivores, have killed more people than any other animal in Africa; i.e., they'll kill you, but they won't eat you. (At least your heirs will have a body to have shipped home. Well, unless the alligators/crocodiles get ya post mortem.)
And as a public service announcement, you gotta keep taking those malaria pills for a while when you get back. I don't know what the natives do. Perhaps they have an immunity to it.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

RatPat 48 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-06-05, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RatPat Click to send private message to RatPat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or just a really cool opotamus?

trudy 171 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-06-05, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trudy Click to send private message to trudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
I saw a documentary once that said rogue hippos tip over boats deliberately and drown people. Seriously.

Only the ones in berets and shades are really hip, the rest are just otomasus'.

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-06-05, 08:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Love the nature lessons.

I thought hippos just sat around in a circle and ate marbles.

Or got their own series on Showtime.

The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings

04-09-05, 01:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
I really miss that game. Deciding between that and "Operation" right now.

You're the doctor, collecting all the pay...

04-06-05, 10:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
>I saw a documentary once that
>said rogue hippos tip over
>boats deliberately and drown people.
> Seriously.

It's a turf thing.

trudy 171 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-05, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trudy Click to send private message to trudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
lmao Dakota, I thought it would be a "surf" thing.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-05, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
I'm a little apprehensive about replying to this because I'm new to the boards (after 25 years in IT, to any boards - believe it or not), and this is Bashers and many of the responses don't seem to take the question seriously. So I'm a little worried about how my first post will be accepted.

But, here goes anyway... I'm a volunteer in the Education Department at the Zoo in my area (recognized as one of the top Zoos in the country) and one of the things we're noted for is our Hippo exhibit.

While I'd be willing to argue that Man (given our ability for mass destruction) might qualify, we don't generally take our being an "animal" into consideration unless we're speaking of habitat loss or hunting/poaching. We've been taught to explain that the Hippo is the second most dangerous animal in Africa. Second to - your other guess was correct - the mosquito.

Hippo's are nearsighted and generally bad-tempered. Unless they live in a filtered exhibit like ours, they are very hard to see when they are in the water. They do not like to be surprised and they have very big tusks. In an average year, it is entirely possible that there will be as many, if not more, Hippo bites in Africa than there will be dog bites in the U.S. Given the size and diameter of their teeth, their bites tend to, more often than not, be fatal.

Hippo's are primarily herbivorous (they like to eat plants). But, they have been known to take kills away from Crocodiles (their primary predator)when they can, and they will eat, and seem to enjoy the meat. They don't actively seek people to kill and eat (most animals don't seem to think we taste very good - they might kill us, but very few will eat us). The Polar Bear is the exception. (Their ability and desire to hunt is fascinating and awesome, but that's a different geographic region and a different post.)

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-05, 01:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Thanks for the insight and wecome to the forum.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

04-07-05, 01:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Thanks. Glad to be here.

BTW I'd guess that Phil (or the Producers) differentiated between "animal" and "insect". The parasites mentioned (the ones causing malaria)are all conveyed by mosquito bite, but, yeah, in a strict sense they are also "animals", so Kathryn in Canada's initial assessment would be correct - just not one that the masses would necessarily understand.

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-07-05, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Welcome! Always happy for some education amidst the snarkiness. Really, I'd always thought of hippos as rather sluggish, harmless creatures who just ate plants. I'd never heard of a hippo bite.

You mean, my marbles comment wasn't serious?

04-07-05, 10:04 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Mystic, as one of the top animal lovers on these boards, I enjoy learning new things about them. I'm actually of the belief that man is the most dangerous and deadly animal. I also believe that mankind should be sent to another planet that is already uninhabitable. Why wait 100 years or so until this one is? Welcome and if, as your name implies, you like wolves, you might want to scoot over to Off Topics and meet Glowie.

04-11-05, 04:51 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Thanks. Yeah, I do like wolves. Haven't figured out yet where Off Topic is located, though. (Told you I was new to boards.) If I ever find it I'd be glad to chat with Glowie and others who like wolves and other animals. BTW Dakota is the name of the first Alpha wolf in our pack at the Zoo. (Crow took alpha status away from her for the moment.) Your idea about taking up residence on an uninhabitable planet has merit - but what if it's habitable to something else we don't yet comprehend? We'd just mess it up for them.

waldo555 104 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-05, 02:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail waldo555 Click to send private message to waldo555 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Phil got it wrong"

Hehe, if we really want to be technical about things viruses are considered by some scientists to be alive. It all depends where you draw the line.

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-05, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail landruajm Click to send private message to landruajm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Burden of Disease in Africa"
For 2001 in Sub-Saharan Africa:

HIV/AIDS 2.06 million
Respiratory infections 1.09 million
Malaria 1.09 million
Cardiovascular diseases 1.05 million

Other big ones: childhood diseases, diarrheal diseases, injuries (very broad category).

Spreadsheet can be downloaded here.

shanana banana 658 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-07-05, 08:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shanana%20banana Click to send private message to shanana%20banana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Hi Kathryn --

I've been to Africa three times, two of those times on extended safaris, and I can tell you that each time the guides have told us that hippos ARE the most dangerous animal and the one responsible for the most human deaths. I don't think they are comparing it to man or diseases that kill people, but merely when talking about which is the wild animal that kills more people than any other. It always catches people by surprise because they naturally think it must be something like a lion or a hyena. Hippos look slow and stupid, but apparently are very ill-tempered and faster on land than you would think. They have been known to tip over boats that cut off male hippos from their females, by driving between them. Also, we were warned that while on land, approaching a water hole, NEVER to come between a hippo on land and the water. That's a sure fire way to get charged. I think most of these deaths come to native people who are food-gathering, etc, and inadvertently do one of the two mentioned above things.

Just some interesting tidbits.

Kathryn in Canada 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-07-05, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kathryn%20in%20Canada Click to send private message to Kathryn%20in%20Canada Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Ok, so hippos are dangerous too!"
Mystic Wolf: Thanks for backing me up on this. I'm a TAR posting 'virgin' too (also 25 years in IT, but spend far to much of my life posting on ADD boards) but I decided to take a shot a Phil since he left himself open there. And he's so darn cute!

Shanana Banana: It is interesting that Hippos do so much damage but this is another example of how we need to be fully informed.

While looking out for the big stuff, you don't want the little things to get you. That applies to African dangers, TAR (darn those little details in the clues!), politics (we're in the middle of a scandal, again, here in Canada) and general criminal activity (I'm thinking about how Capone's downfall were his taxes!)

Ruthless 281 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-08-05, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ruthless Click to send private message to Ruthless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Those malaria death figures are tragic. In a world where we can send man to the moon and spaceships to investigate Mars and the rest of the solar system, we still can't find the money to prevent that number of preventable deaths.

Man's ability to find ways to destroy himself ... there's no comment for that.

An Australia tourist was recently killed by a hippo. I'll be staying well clear of them if I ever get the chance to go to Africa (which isn't likely).

TARugh 159 desperate attention whore postings

04-09-05, 01:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TARugh Click to send private message to TARugh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
Africa has so many killers its hard to decide what the true answer would actually be. While hippos may be number 2, and the mosquito number 1, it must be considered that the top spots are going to vary from year to year, especially when considering other factors that are not breathing like war, drought, and qat.

Or...when considering things that shouldn't breathe, but one day ends up breathing. Lake Nyos, Cameroon...gasses from the lake wiped out every living creature around. Lets see a hippo do that.

MissMyth 352 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-11-05, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MissMyth Click to send private message to MissMyth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Phil got it wrong"
You might be surprised at what hippo gas can do.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

04-17-05, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Interesting hippo film"
The early part of the film "Lights, Action, Africa" by Alan and Joan Root includes some stunning photography of hippos moving effortlessly through Mzima Springs in Kenya's Tsavo National Park. The film has been shown on TV a couple times, but not lately. Photos also appeared in National Geographic in either 1970 or 1971.

The Roots tried a couple camouflage devices to get close to the hippos, but none were successful. So they had to use scuba tanks and go right in with the hippos. One tore a gash out of Alan's leg, while another punctured Joan's mask.

There's an underwater viewing station at the springs, but the hippos generally stay away.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •