The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SO House Guests"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

jlarue3253 17 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-24-06, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jlarue3253 Click to send private message to jlarue3253 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SO House Guests"
Why is there always just one African American house guest? The only time there were two was when one of them was kicked out. Just an observation

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SO House Guests Baxtera 01-24-06 1
   RE: SO House Guests Bleye600 01-29-06 21
 RE: SO House Guests Pixeltalk 01-24-06 2
   RE: SO House Guests Summerlynn31 01-25-06 3
       RE: SO House Guests sissy 01-25-06 4
 RE: SO House Guests GoodnightLittleBear 01-25-06 5
 RE: SO House Guests emily1 01-25-06 6
   RE: SO House Guests Zoey 01-25-06 7
 RE: SO House Guests lovemydogdude 01-25-06 8
   RE: SO House Guests Ijustsharted 01-25-06 9
   RE: SO House Guests MizJazmine 01-25-06 10
 RE: SO House Guests beckettrep 01-26-06 11
 Found this in the archives Cygnus X1 01-26-06 12
   But... mysticwolf 01-26-06 13
       Good point, Myst Cygnus X1 01-26-06 14
 RE: SO House Guests pmfmpls 01-26-06 15
   RE: SO House Guests Lanna42 01-27-06 16
       RE: SO House Guests jlarue3253 01-27-06 18
       RE: SO House Guests Pixeltalk 01-27-06 19
   RE: SO House Guests jlarue3253 01-27-06 17
   RE: SO House Guests EMTBGRL 01-28-06 20
       RE: SO House Guests Lanna42 01-30-06 22
           RE: SO House Guests EMTBGRL 01-30-06 24
               RE: SO House Guests Lanna42 01-31-06 26
           RE: SO House Guests Pixeltalk 01-31-06 27
 RE: SO House Guests Texaschik 01-30-06 23
   RE: SO House Guests OklaBlue 01-31-06 25
 RE: SO House Guests Pixeltalk 01-31-06 28
   RE: SO House Guests Shazbot 02-01-06 29
       RE: SO House Guests Lanna42 02-02-06 30
           RE: SO House Guests AshLanie 02-02-06 31
           RE: SO House Guests Shazbot 02-02-06 32
               RE: SO House Guests Lanna42 02-03-06 35
                   RE: SO House Guests Shazbot 02-04-06 36
 RE: SO House Guests genzipah 02-02-06 33
   RE: SO House Guests mysticwolf 02-02-06 34
       RE: SO House Guests beckettrep 02-04-06 37

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-24-06, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SO House Guests"
I would think it has to do with why there are few of lots of other minority groups represented on the show. I haven't seen many Asians or Latin American represented either.

Bleye600 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-29-06, 03:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bleye600 Click to send private message to Bleye600 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: SO House Guests"
I believe that in season one of Starting Over, they had a woman named Jennifer that Starting Over helped to plan her wedding. I think she was asian. At least she looked to be Asian. And also during season one, I kind of remember that there were two African Americans in the house at the same time. Of course, they didn't come in together but they were there together for a short time at the same time. I also agree that I think it has alot to do with the amount of African Americans and Asians who apply, and the ones that are picked to be on, have to have the problems that the coaches want to deal with.

Pixeltalk 644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-24-06, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pixeltalk Click to send private message to Pixeltalk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SO House Guests"
It may have something to do with the number of African-Americans who apply to be on the show. I read an interview with Jeff Probst and Mark Burnett in the newspaper and they were asked, "Why were there no black contestants on this edition of Survivor (The Mayan Empire)?" They said that they get many times more applications from white people than from African-Americans.

Summerlynn31 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-25-06, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Summerlynn31 Click to send private message to Summerlynn31 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SO House Guests"
i know what you mean. i feel like the do not represent lesbians or bisexual women either. I would like to know why. i think SO should represent women in the US. They are all types here and I am sure they get enough applications to do that!!!

sissy 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-25-06, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sissy Click to send private message to sissy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SO House Guests"
LAST EDITED ON 01-25-06 AT 02:13 PM (EST)

Jlarue

That is a good point, I mean really I think it boils down to who the producers and related staff want; but that is the case with so many shows...you are lucky if you see one Black face...I am so used to it, it seems to be the case on most shows..and in reality, I think that the answers we get like the one mentioned in the interview are just the quick answers, not necessarily the true answers...but as with so much of everything else in life, politics and motives are often involved in decisions

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-25-06, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SO House Guests"
If you go to the SO website and look under Casting, you will see that they are recruiting people with particular problems. They also probably want a house with an array of different problems at any one time. It could be that they have not had a lot of African-Americans sign up with the particular problems that the show requires for that season.

emily1 14 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-06, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emily1 Click to send private message to emily1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SO House Guests"
I think they try to get a mix of all races and ages. Last season they had racheal and Tess at the same time or mabye it was T and Racheal. The point is I do like it that it doesn't seem to push race. I am look right now. You have Jill and Kim I am not sure what Chirsty background is from and Lisa2 is alway of "non-white". Just my thoughts.

Zoey 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-25-06, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zoey Click to send private message to Zoey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: SO House Guests"
Well, call me naive, but I would hope that someone's race or sexual preferance isn't considered a "problem".

I've seen plenty of black women on the show but, to my knowledge, there haven't been any "out of the closet" lesbians. I think if someone applied the the show who considered it a "problem" they might consider it. But hopefully people today and of the age range that are on the show are comfortable with their race or sexual preferance.

There is always the exception and I'm sure there are people who could relate...so I'm not sure.

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-25-06, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: SO House Guests"
IMO...not as many african american applicants because they are SMART!!! (and Im cauc..just fyi) Just a thought hehe..SO is seeming more and more like a degrading place to go...

Ijustsharted 518 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-06, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ijustsharted Click to send private message to Ijustsharted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: SO House Guests"
>IMO...not as many african american applicants
>because they are SMART!!!
>(and Im cauc..just fyi)
>Just a thought hehe..SO is
>seeming more and more like
>a degrading place to go...
>

No kidding!

MizJazmine 532 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-06, 06:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MizJazmine Click to send private message to MizJazmine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: SO House Guests"
hehehehehe...I was thinking the same thing! Can you blame 'em? The concept of SO is beautiful but the so-called "reality" is a nightmare. Not to mention getting ripped on the boards. That's a whole 'nother trip all by itself! It's all enough to make anybody re-think going on this show, and go to the nearest self help section of a bookstore or library IMO. Hey it may be a good thing that there aren't ALOT of people of color represented on this show. Look at some Jerry Springer and then think about the up side...LOL!

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-06, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: SO House Guests"
LAST EDITED ON 01-26-06 AT 08:50 AM (EST)

>Why is there always just one
>African American house guest? The
>only time there were two
>was when one of them
>was kicked out. Just
>an observation

Maybe they are just evaluating the women who apply based on their issues and of course on how they will 'come across' on tv. And isn't that as it should be? I would think it very unfair if someone got picked just BECAUSE they were something other than 'white'. It's a step in the right direction when the show casts based solely on issues and whatever it is they deem suitable for tv - best to keep anything racial out of the decision making process - that puts all the applicants on equal footing.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-26-06, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Found this in the archives"
Not so much about casting, but it was a semi-related discussion of the portrayal of minorities on SO. Just FYI. Being archived, you can't post to it.

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-06, 09:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "But..."
You can't post to it, as it is archived. That is not the same as saying that you can't comment on it. Since it isn't a locked thread you may comment within this thread.

(Suggestion: In this case, as the thread is "broken", you may want to reference the fact that you're commenting on something in that thread, and, at least for the first post on a given comment, quote the section you're commenting on.)

Sigs by Bob, entirely accurate renditions of nature

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-06, 09:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Good point, Myst"
and poor choice of words on my part. You can't post to *that particular thread* since it's been archived, but you can talk about it here.

pmfmpls 149 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-26-06, 09:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: SO House Guests"
here's my Two Cents:

I would imagine fewer African-American women "apply," as African-Americans are also less likely to seek traditional mental health care in the outside world. There is a true cultural difference in seeking help; typical white culture is more likely to utilize therapists/counselors, while African-Americans often rely upon religion, prayer, and church leaders to help them with problems. (This is developmental research that hasn't changed much in the past couple decades).

Then-

There is no reason not to have more lesbians or bisexuals as houseguests. Sexual orientation would not have to be the "problem," as it is not for the heterosexual women in the house. Believe it or not, most gay/bi women don't ever consider their sexual orientation a problem. All the typical SO stuff (weight, body image, a sense of purpose, communication, crappy childhood, intimacy, snotty kids, careers, etc) is the same in the lives of lesbians and bisexual women.

Lanna42 263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-27-06, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lanna42 Click to send private message to Lanna42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: SO House Guests"
It would be nice to see alittle more diversity on SO. I'm not sure why but do more African American guests seem to find the door before graduating for some reason? There was Kim from season I,Deborah and then Tess. I have also noticed as have other posters that the issue of homosexuality has never been fully dealt with. There was Leah from season one who was supposed to be learning to "live out loud." Who's own girlfriend pointed out that she didn't want to be identified as lesbian by anyone and who never graduated.Rhonda let it slide and never confronted her on this. Then we had a hint of bi-sexuality addressed with Megg. I have a feeling that would have gone further had it not been for goofy drugged out Karen falsely accusing her of making a pass at her. Poor Megg......no wonder she retracted what she said before about being attracted to women. That experience would have been enough to drive anyone screaming back into the closet. She finally had the courage to admit how she really felt and that happened. I couldn't understand why she didn't get angrier about it. Had it been me I would have told her "Look......if I ever have the urge to be with a burned out,neurotic old hooker type who looks like she applies her make-up with a spatula and without a mirror I'll let you know. Until then don't worry about my making a pass at you because it ain't happening." Megg was alot kinder. Maybe she really is heterosexual all the way but I doubt it. Karen was so whacked out on booze and pills anyway it isn't suprising she mistook a kind gesture of support for a sexual advance. Still the whole incident kind of smacked of homophobia. And the life coaches never addressed that. I think they should have. It would be interesting to see a fully open, out lesbian join the houseguests. Not nessacarily to address it as a problem but just to see what issues that brings up.

01-27-06, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jlarue3253 Click to send private message to jlarue3253 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: SO House Guests"
I believe that Deborah was a setup. They had to know that woman wasnt real. They endure much scrutiny before coming on the show. They knew she would get kicked out.

01-27-06, 03:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pixeltalk Click to send private message to Pixeltalk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: SO House Guests"
I thought Karen's accusation of Megg making a pass at her was a way of deflecting attention from her own drinking and drugging problems. It was cheap and transparent.I was outraged and would have kicked her out of the house just for that.

01-27-06, 12:49 PM (EST)
17. "RE: SO House Guests"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-06 AT 12:53 PM (EST)

Hmmmmmmm...You have a point. However, I can't help but wonder about those AA (African Americans) who do seek help but can't afford it. Afterall, therapy is fashionable now.

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-28-06, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: SO House Guests"
My observation is that White people seem to be last in knowing how to get support from their families and communities. Therefore, they'd go on a show like SO instead of "being taking care of by my own folks" For example, go look at the racial mixture in most of the nursing homes in America. Why is that? IMHO It's because we are less about community, and more about "look out for me" than people of other cultures, not exclusively African-American. (Not that it should matter, but I am descendant of Vikings. That's a hint to my race.) They've had Deborah, Tess, Kim and Towanda. What about Asian-American or Native-American? or Latina? Have there been any on the show? I have less experience with why they might not be there.

01-30-06, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lanna42 Click to send private message to Lanna42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: SO House Guests"
I think you made some insightful points EMTBGRL. It would be good to see more Asian-American,Native American or Latina houseguests as you say. I just wanted to make the observation that there were three African American houseguests who failed to graduate.Either they were asked to leave as was the case with Kim from season I and Tess or they left on their own,Deborah.The point was made that Deborah probably would have been asked to leave anyway.I think this is probably true.Once she was caught in a blatant lie she realized she wasn't going to be able to snow anyone so she left. I don't know whether these houseguests left due to their own personal issues or for some other reason. Personally, I am a caucausian,middle class married lesbian who spent 10 years living in the deep South.My neighbor who lived across the street was a Klansman.I grew up in the Midwest.But I certainly know there can be prejudice that ingratiates itself in insidous ways. Whether this is the case on SO I don't know.What I do know for sure is that SO has never fully dealt with the issue of homosexuality. The closest they came to that was with Leah from season I and even then I felt Rhonda didn't require enough honesty from her. When her girlfriend made the observation that Leah was uncomfortable sitting with her in a gay coffeehouse because "God forbid someone should think your a lesbian." Rhonda should have addressed that. Instead she let her avoid the issue and be content with going in there and making small talk with a few strangers. That didn't require any personal disclosure or honesty at all.Rhonda danced around the issue of Leah calling herself a lesbian like she was at the Geneva convention.When the fact was that whether Leah chose to acknowledge herself as "a lesbian for all time" or not she was in a romantic relationship with a WOMAN. And it clearly was not a one night experimentation on her part.So why not call it what it is? Lesbian is not a dirty word. Nor is it a scarlet letter that labels you for all time. I felt Rhonda treated it that way and it bothered me. Anyway, I've been thinking about that for a long time. Thanks for listening.

EMTBGRL 2514 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-30-06, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: SO House Guests"
Wasn't there also...Megg? Didn't she say something about part of her fears came from her sexual confusion? (I could be wrong, or have the wrong name) I do agree that Rhonda seems to either be homophobic or just completely ill-equipped to "coach" or discuss homosexuality. It's disappointing. A lot of viewers could be better served if they were presented with options other than (subtly or overtly by the life coaches) "Let's pretend you didn't say that, and lets just change the subject." That's a ridiculous and abusive approach to something so personal, and in some cases, so painful. Wouldn't it be refreshing to see anyone who even HINTS about their sexual orientation being anything other than straight, anywhere on the GLBTQ be told, "You're safe here, come on out?" I mean the people that need this help, not the people that claim homosexuality for attention. (Can't you see Lisa1, "If I admit I'm a lesbian, can I take a nap?") Ugh!

01-31-06, 09:58 AM (EST)
26. "RE: SO House Guests"
Thanks for the empathetic responses. I hope that SO will address the issue of lesbianism with more openness and sensitivity in the future.I'm not sure why I hold them to a higher standard then I do the rest of the world. Maybe it's because they like to tout themselves as higher karmic teachers.If I was Lisa's spirit guide I'd be hovering over her head with a two by four. Begging whatever Oracle I answered to if I couldn't just give her one good smack. I guess that explains why I still trudge the earth.But please.......get that lady out of there.She is so insincere. Nobody can push someone to come to terms with their sexuality.I realize people do that in their own time.But if your whole objective in the house is to "live out loud" it seems kind of ludicrous to skirt the obvious. As far as Miss Megg was concerned I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Allison when she said "Would it suprise you if I said I already knew you were gay?" And frankly,I give her alot of credit for having the balls to say it to her.I could be wrong but my intuition certainly pointed in that direction with her. But then the whole Karen mess happened and I didn't blame her for making a 100 degree turn in the opposite direction.If she is and I'd almost bet money on it it'll come up again and again until she gets it. I think she may be under the misguided perception that all lesbians are Butch. That if she just looks feminine enough those feelings will go away. "Uh.........no.It's not about the clothes." To bad we'll probably never know how that turns out.

01-31-06, 04:42 PM (EST)
27. "RE: SO House Guests"
Wasn't Renee Latina? Her father looked Mexican-American to me. But it's like on TV series: there is always a minority person on the show, but they are never the lead, with few exceptions. Like I can't figure out why Aisha Tyler has a fairly minor supporting role on "Ghost Whisperer"; she is stunning, funny and talented! Of course, I'm white and I watch Girlfriends, Half & Half, Bernie Mac, etc., but I guess that is not typical.

Texaschik 3 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-06, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Texaschik Click to send private message to Texaschik Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: SO House Guests"

Black people only make up about 12 percent of the population, with the other 88 percent being white, hispanic, asian and everything else. Face it, there are just plain more of them than us. All things being equal, about 12 percent of the SO population should be black.

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-31-06, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: SO House Guests"
Like 1 out of about 8? Then they are right on. Some of these gals are mixed, like Jessica was mexican, and Kim looks to be almost asian.

01-31-06, 04:53 PM (EST)
28. "RE: SO House Guests"
There is a locked thread (not mine) on the IH forum that deals with whether Iyanla shows favoritism to African-American houseguests. Specifically, why she was (supposedly) so much nicer to Jill's mother than she was to Christina's mother. I guess all racial issues are supposed to be in this thread.

I don't see Iyanla's actions as being racially motivated at all. It seems to me that she was so hard on Christina's mother because she allowed Christina to marry at 16. Also, she was pretty blunt with Jill's mother about being manipulative and it being better to visit Jill in California than in a cemetery. I think she could empathize with Jill's mother because of her (Iyanla's) bad experiences with men and her relationship with her daughter, rather than race.

And, besides, why bring it up only with Iyanla? Rhonda has dealt with African-American and white HGs. Has she shown favoritism?

(I don't think there have been racially motivated actions on the part of the LCs but maybe I'm being naive.)

Shazbot 226 desperate attention whore postings

02-01-06, 10:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: SO House Guests"
I think taking on all the homophobia in this country, through a tv show, is asking a lot more than saying you're unhappy in a marriage or you have a drinking problem or you're not living a life you're happy with. It's a bigger cross to bear. Perhaps the life coaches were being sensitive to this. Huge segments will accept almost anything but that.

02-02-06, 08:03 AM (EST)
30. "RE: SO House Guests"
I have to respectfully disagree with you Shazbot.The issue of homosexuality has been addressed on many primetime shows from reality shows like "Survivor" to sit-coms like "Will and Grace" and it has not diminished their popularity with the public. A show such as "Starting Over" that promotes itself as a forum in which houseguests must fearlessly confront personal issues should not shy away from homosexuality just because it might offend a small segment of the viewing audience. Should they shy away from confronting the issues of child abuse or rape too because that might offend someone? If not "Starting Over" than what is the appropriate place to discuss this a dark alley somewhere or a bar? The only way homophobia is ever going to be seen as the prejudice it is will be when shows like "Starting Over" make the issue more visible and confront it directly. Like prejudice of any kind it needs to dragged out into the light of day and examined for what it is a form of hatred. I don't think this would detract from the shows entertainment value in the least.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-06, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: SO House Guests"
Taging On:

End of season one there was a housemate call Leah....she was on the show to come out of the closet. Her g/f even came to the house.

Anyhow, she, Leah, asked to leave the house (was the very end of the season) to see how she would do and was suppose to enter as one of the original six for season two.

She saw how she was being protrayed on the show and declined the offer of entering as a housemate for seaon two.

02-02-06, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shazbot Click to send private message to Shazbot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: SO House Guests"
Believe me Lanna42 - I am not saying that it is right that people are offended... but I think an actor making millions of dollars on a sitcom that involves homosexuality is not the same as an everyday person taking on all the vitriol. (I think nightly prime time audiences, too, are more open-minded). Also, I am not advocating a shying away from issues, but if you were that individual who had to take it on all by yourself, maybe you would need some protection in doing so.

It does seem though too that the powers that be behind Starting Over, or the corporate interests, are preventing the issue from being dealt with in the open. But - you raise a good point: Who is the starting over audience, and can this issue be put forth to them without a higher cost to a gay individual (and why aren't they doing so)?

02-03-06, 01:03 PM (EST)
35. "RE: SO House Guests"
The fact that there have been so few lesbian houseguests and that the one that did marginally acknowledge being one(Leah) never completed the program would lead me to believe that fundementalist conservative groups may be influencing corporate sponsors to shelve the idea of dealing with homosexuality as an issue on 'Starting Over.'It will be interesting to see if the fact that several current houseguests have brought up having had abortions is dealt with or never mentioned again. A good point has been made that if a lesbian houseguest were to go on the show that there would be no guarantee of "protection" against attacks by homophobic individuals. I can only speak for myself but for those of us who are gay and have lived through decades of homophobic prejudice(70's,80's,90's)we know that there is no protection. All we can do is live our lives honestly and hope that eventually good,open minded people will prevail. And there has been huge progress towards that in the last 20 years. When I wrote a letter to the editor of my small town(where everyone knows your name) in support of gay marriage and signed my name to it I knew there might be a negative backlash. There wasn't.Sometimes you have to take a risk in favor of the greater good. I see being lesbian as a very positive thing and not at all as a burden. Whether or not shows like 'Starting Over'address homosexuality or not I believe the day is coming soon when we will be represented.

02-04-06, 00:21 AM (EST)
36. "RE: SO House Guests"
You are right Lanna42 - the Starting Over show could be a wonderful forum to confront such prejudice. But when I think of assignments on the show, tailored for a gay person, it seems too cartoonish to think what those assignments might be... unless a person is struggling to come out to their parents or something... but to put a person on a street corner like they do, overcoming a fear, if they have the fear, of being openly gay seems a little strange in that context. But they have seemed to be shying away from it. I too was surprised at the casual mention by every houseguest, it seemed, all of a sudden of having had abortions - given the climate we live in, and when this topic never seemed to come up in other seasons. Maybe they are thinking of pushing the envelope on issues.

I suspect you are a freer individual than a lot of people, and your point about taking a risk is an important one.

genzipah 3 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-06, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail genzipah Click to send private message to genzipah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: SO House Guests"
LAST EDITED ON 02-02-06 AT 06:55 PM (EST)

Have you noticed that there are no lesbians in the house?

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

02-02-06, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: SO House Guests"
Thanks for posting your question in the correct thread. Now, if you read through it, you'll find that posters have, indeed, noticed. As a matter of fact, the posts immediately preceding yours is discussing that exact topic and why that might be so. You might have some thoughts to add to their discussion.

Sigs by Bob, entirely accurate renditions of nature

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings

02-04-06, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: SO House Guests"
I think the best way for SO to choose who will be on the show is to have the interviewers sitting on one side of a wall (kinda like the 'dating game' wall) and the applicants on the other side. Just pick women based on their 'issues' regardless of their color, their size, their age, their looks etc. That is the best way to avoid not only discrimination but reverse discrimination (which is indeed just as much an issue as discrimination is.) JMHO

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •