The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NYPD 24/7 - WOW!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-14-04, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NYPD 24/7 - WOW!"
This is a seven show "real" reality tv. ABC news followed real NYPD cops, and distilled it down to seven one hour "real" episodes. This show is friggin fantastic! I am a big Amazing Race fan, and this show comes on at the same time....so you have to use your VCR to catch them both.

This Tuesday they followed two detectives in Brooklyn trying to solve a horrific kidnap, rape, & murder of a black twenty year old college student. The Black Community, including a local politician, want one of the detectives (a white guy) fired because he did not find the kidnapped girl until it was too late...about two weeks since she was reported missing. Meanwhile this same detective, and another one (who is the main focus of the show) work this case and find two different people in the same community who have personal knowledge of two guys involved in this case. Neither of these people come forward to report what they know. If they had this girl may have been found alive.

The local Black community is picketing the local precinct, but no one is picketing either of these two neighborhood people who knew important facts, and did nothing! The two cops bust their asses to solve this case to catch the one bad guy still on the lam. At the end, an off camera narrator asks the lead detective his thoughts about the case. The guy says it was satisfying enough to catch the bad guys, but if you want to be a hero....join the fire department!

This is gripping stuff. I give this reality show two big thumbs way way up!!! Check it out!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 NYPD 24/7 - Showing the sytem at it... rixrex 07-21-04 1
 RE: NYPD 24/7 - WOW! mocha madness 07-22-04 2
   RE: NYPD 24/7 - Right on it! rixrex 07-22-04 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

rixrex 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-21-04, 03:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail rixrex Click to send private message to rixrex Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "NYPD 24/7 - Showing the sytem at its Worst"
Episode broadcast on 7/20 shows a tiny bit of the best and lots of the worst in cops, unfortunately way more of the worst. You've got this young man shot and killed, and his friend calls 911. Through circumstances, cops get an "eyewitness" to the shooting who implicates the friend, though the friend states that they were held up by 2 men. The "eyewitness" is given credence, while the friend is not. This whole matter shows the cops at their worst, as they sit around thinking up all sorts of motives for the friend and ways to figure out how to find evidence to substantiate their suspicions. And all based upon this eyewitness report that's murky at best. They basically waste the first 12 hrs running down spurious speculation trying to find a way to stick it on the friend. They talk amongst each other with a sort of gallows humor about getting the goods on the guy. Their emphasis is on solving (pinning) the case on the guy ASAP. Not even one says, "Hey, maybe it went down like the friend says!" Even Sipowicz would have said that! After a wasted day where they come up with nothing, they FINALLY hear the 911 tape of the call the "eyewitness" made, and it contradicts his own oral statement in a big way. Why the hell didn't somebody listen to that tape right away? Where were their heads? And then the DA STILL decides to file homicide charges against the friend, when anybody with an ounce of brains can see there's no evidence! The only good thing in the whole episode was that the lead detective had a intuitive feeling that the friend wasn't the killer, and stated so to the camera, but unfortunately didn't have the guts to confront the DA. Then later, after the friend goes through the booking, and jail, and release, the cops wonder why he's not cooperative, like nothing happened, and they get all bent out of shape. What the hell do they expect? What kind of an idiot thinks that you're going to get somebody to cooperate after charging them with a crime with crappy evidence, that crime being a homicide, and putting the guy through the ordeal of not only seeing his buddy killed, but then the fear of facing a big prison term (in his mind anyway)? PU to you, NYPD, and to the DA (meaning dumb #####) that pressed the charges who should be ashamed. Go back to JR High School and take a remedial course on the Constitution, apparently you forgot about it, and while you're at it get some more training on detective work because you really blew this one. At program's end, it was said that 18 months had passed and the killer was not yet found. Well, think about this: maybe you'd have found him (or them) if you hadn't WASTED a whole day trying to build up a phoney case against an innocent man. Big BOO for you guys this time around!

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-22-04, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: NYPD 24/7 - WOW!"
Well at least one other person saw this weeks episode, 7-20-04, and I once again have to tout this show as being simply terrific. I was going ballastic as the cops focused in on the roomate as killer, and waste valuable time trying to pin the murder on him. Kudos to the producers for showing an episode where the cops and DA look like schmucks, and the real killer(s) get away with murder. I think the "reliability" of eyewitness testimony should always be questioned. Several years ago three of use witnessed a shooting from the same vantage point, and we could not even agree on what the shooter looked like....a reliable eyewitness may be an oxymoron....but I am sure there are exceptions.

rixrex 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-22-04, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rixrex Click to send private message to rixrex Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NYPD 24/7 - Right on it!"
That's right, and I too should have commended the producers for showing that. The missing element in all of this was the person(s) who would pipe up and say to "wait a minute, maybe there's a rush to judgement here". I really felt that the main detective might be the one to do that but he kept his thoughts to himself (in regards to the other cops and the DA, that is). Too bad, and why was he afraid to speak up? He seemed to be the smartest one there, and if he felt some sort of "club" mentality or possible peer group intimidation, then what about the less intelligent ones? The DA is supposed to say to the cops, "Hey, this can't go to trial", yet in this case the DA pushed for the arrest and really gummed up the whole thing. I'd like to be an activist in that community, if I were that sort of person, and have this mess fall in my lap. What a bunch of jokers. It's not hard to imagine these types of cops all getting together and coming up with conjecture hidden as "facts in the realm of possibilities", to generally support whatever theory the "biggest" cop in the roost believes, or whatever the DA believes. This episode supports the idea that investigators typically look strongly for the evidence that supports the most popular theory of any case, and likely miss other evidence. This is why they looked like idiots in the OJ case, and why they'll mess up the Scott Peterson case, regardless of those two being innocent or guilty in truth. Then the next question, and the most important one, will be: How many times has an innocent person been found guilty on spurious testimony and incomplete evidence? If you haven't yet, take a look at "The Thin Blue Line".

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •