The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-25-05, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Am I the only one who has never been a fan of the new "scarce Fast Forward" rules? Used to be, when there was a FF on every leg, it was a matter of strategy of when to use it and when to pass it up. It was more of a tool for teams who fell behind for one reason or another to try to catch up -- and even that wasn't always enough, like the father & son who were eliminated in TAR3 despite finding the FF. By the end, the teams who did well enough not to need it in the early stages of the race then had the FF advantage in the last legs. It also made more of a variety in first place finishes, not to mention the variety editing-wise, because we always saw the FF team doing a different task than the others.

Now that there's only a couple of FFs, the strategy's gone. Basically, the first team to get to it is going to take it because they never know if they'll be first for the next one. Unless it's really close, the rest of the teams won't even try. I think Adam/Rebecca might have been an exception last season, but still. It's really just a way now for the first place team to get an even larger lead over the others, and that lead will just be sucked away by bunching eventually. So it's almost as useless as the yield.

And don't get me started on non-elim FF legs. I still haven't recovered from Brandon not getting eliminated when he refused to shave his head.

Although watching that wuss Adam bumble around in the diving suit was probably the best moment last season.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! J Slice 03-25-05 1
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! MTommy 03-25-05 2
   RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! HobbsofMI 03-26-05 3
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! TechNoir 03-26-05 4
   RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! ARnutz 03-26-05 5
   RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! HobbsofMI 03-28-05 12
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! watermelon 03-26-05 6
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! strid333 03-26-05 7
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! Das Mole 03-26-05 8
 You're not the only one realitybites 03-27-05 9
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! applejack93 03-28-05 10
 Strategy Max Headroom 03-28-05 11
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! RocketAudy 03-28-05 13
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! mrc 03-30-05 14
   RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! Seana 03-30-05 15
 RE: Bring back the Fast Forward! Fishercat 03-30-05 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-25-05, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
I'm with you on this one.

Now, EVERY team is racing for it, no matter where in the race they are. It's annoying, and not half as fun.

If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

MTommy 80 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-25-05, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTommy Click to send private message to MTommy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
This and the fact that clues have become directions to the next location in almost all instances are the two things I miss most from first AR seasons. A FF which actually meant something was once the best part of the game.

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-05, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
More FF and no YEILDS!

The yeilds are a waste of time.

created by Syren

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-05, 08:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
I'm in the exact opposite camp. I'd be in favor of totally eliminating the fast forward, but I'm willing to compromise with a very few of them tossed in to add interest. As you say, It was more of a tool for teams who fell behind for one reason or another to try to catch up. I'm only too happy to have more of the race based on skill and the ability to deal with adversity and less based on quirky stuff like the fast forward.

Then again, I'm a fan of Romber because they are highly skilled at playing the game. I've never been fond of a weak team suddenly ending up in the final three when they don't deserve it based on game play.

"Fear is just another word for ignorance." Hunter S. Thompson

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

03-26-05, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Ditto on the first part.

While I'm not a huge fan of Romber, I can appreciate their gameplay.

'nutz: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate... and Shroomhater! - shroom go boom!

HobbsofMI 16065 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-05, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Thing is most weak teams burned them up real quick and maybe hung on for one or two ep as other weak teams dropped because they did not get the FF. The FF delays the inevitable for most teams but if you can wait and use it right later in the race it can help you into the finals and avoid dumb mistakes or breakdowns along the way.

created by Syren

watermelon 184 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-26-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail watermelon Click to send private message to watermelon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Totally agree on the following accounts:

- want more fast forwards like in the old days
- Adam in diving suit was the best moment last season imo too
- need clues that are less directions and more puzzles

I definitely enjoyed the first few seasons of TAR a LOT more than the current ones, prob because of above reasons

I also liked it better when they booked their own flights rather than being told take this one or this one. They actually needed skill/people skills to get the best flights when they were left to their own devices. Also meant less bunching.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-26-05, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Well, the Fast Forward used to annoy me how one team would go for it, come in first, and then self-destruct in the next episode and get eliminated.

But I agree that only having 2 or 3 FF, in the entire race is defeating the purpose of the FF. I don't think we need a FF on every leg on the race but there should be more. I think it would be cool if they had 12 legs of the race, 7 FF and 3 Yields. Randomly put the FF and Yields into the race and still have 2 legs with nothing.

FF are more interesting than Yields anyways. The only entertainment value in a yield is watching the yielded team get angry while waiting. I would rather watch a team work on a FF and possibly compete for a FF with another team.

Three is the perfect number.

Das Mole 2366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

03-26-05, 06:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Das%20Mole Click to send private message to Das%20Mole Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
I definitely agree with the whole thing. I think the Fast Forward definitely made things a lot more interesting, plus it got real good when two teams went for it and then the team that didn't get it was completely screwed.

I thought it sucked when they brought the Yield in on season 5 and then stopped w/all the Fast Forwards, I was like...this sucks. The Yield is "retarded" as Debbie and Bianca would put it . Nobody uses it except for last season, TWO times, whoopee, and it doesn't even really make that big of a difference, IMO, unless the Yielded people are in a large group. The whole idea of the Yield to me is just kinda stupid and pointless.

Now, of course, the Fast Forward has a few bad things about it too, like, let's say the worst team on the race is in last, gets the Fast Forward and you have to watch them for another week...plus, that's a little unfair to the teams that are actually good and deserve to be in first.

I think it would be better if they brought back the Fast Forward in every leg, or at least increased the number of times it showed up, maybe to 4 or 5, rather than 2.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-27-05, 03:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "You're not the only one"
I too miss having the fast forward on every leg (at least legs 1-11). I never really figured out the best strategy under the old rules, while it seems comically simple under the new ones, as you mentioned.

applejack93 288 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-28-05, 00:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail applejack93 Click to send private message to applejack93 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
I agree with you entirely, especially with the way that the FF is only ever on non-elim legs (except for that weird super-long leg in TAR6 with Bolo and Lori being saved by a super-bunching at the internet cafe).

The most fun part of the FF was when two teams were trying desperately to get it (I seem to remember nancy/emily and another team from season one having a face off for the FF in a buddhist temple - it was so intense. Or did I just invent that memory?) Anyway, point is, with the new rules the FF has become almost as pointless as the yeild is.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-05, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Strategy"
It seems to me that the strategy aspects of the FF and Yield are underused by the teams. In earlier editions of TAR, the FF was more competitive and multiple teams made the effort to get it. More recently we get scenes like Jonathan/Victoria going after the diving FF, seeing Adam/Rebecca already underway, then giving up immediately and leaving to do the regular race tasks. (In the case of the diving, I wonder if J/V would have gotten a turn after Adam turned into the Michelin Man and floated away??) The FF has changed from a goal for everyone to something to give the leading team another boost.

As for Yields, maybe I am too ruthless in my thinking, but if I were running next-to-last and came across a Yield, whoever was behind me would get Yielded every time, regardless of who it was or what I thought of them. But that strategy hasn't been seen yet; instead you get revenge moments like Freddy/Kendra Yielding Adam/Rebecca just because Freddy was ticked off about being Yielded earlier (also for no good reason).

RocketAudy 70 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-28-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RocketAudy Click to send private message to RocketAudy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-05 AT 01:41 PM (EST)

I really miss the FF on every leg. It added a different level of strategy. Since they were on every leg, even a team in the pack of the pack had a chance at it. It shook up the lineup and allowed a team that had some bad luck to get back into the game. But even then, since finishing first is not TOO much of an advantage, other teams were not unduly hurt. The occasional FF is pointless.

The ocasional YIELD is even more pointless. But the worst of all is the YIELD placed in a non-elimination round, (which happened TWICE last season.) The YIELD is stupid enough as it is, without rendering it completely meaningless with a non-elim. It's like a dirty trick played on the racers by the producers. It causes resentment for the YIELDees, with almost no benefit to the YIELDers. Ruthless or not, any strategy in using the YIELD is nullified when it's put in the game this way. I think using the YIELD is BAD strategy unless there are more of them and they can be used to actually eliminate somebody.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-05, 08:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Yet another worthless FF. What a waste!

A Nefarious Dice Creation

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-05, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
Yes, but it was funny! Completely squandered. OK, so they won the cars, but they took that lead and were back in 3rd again within minutes of leaving the pit stop. Love it.

Ray and Deana sucked large. Bye, now!

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-30-05, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Bring back the Fast Forward!"
I would prefer an addition of more fast forwards. Not overloading them on every leg so, when near the end, only two teams can go for it, but enough of them where it becomes a strategic tool again. Something like 6 of them in a 12 leg race, one every two (randomly assigned) would make it enough of a strategic tool so teams can use it when, as Phil says, it is most adventageous. At this point, the first place team just grabs it since the odds of seeing it again in a good position is really low. Not to mention, who wouldn't take the FF in first place (when it shows up 3 times or so) when they can almost guarantee themselves a nice prize (trip, money, cars, Alex/Lynn's satisfaction in beating Romber).

For innstance, Libra mentions the father and son who were eliminated in spite of getting the FF. That gave the father and son some hope after falling hopelessly behind (which doesn't happen as often), they had a pretty awesome experience (and the FF is sometimes like that. The vintage diving suit, the cooling towers, driving a tank, searching through rugs...err...), and it helps an underdog for one leg. If that was on TAR7, the father/son would not have it available since the first place team would jump on it.

Personally, I'd love to see them have one FF with two chances to get ahead, namely the first two to complete it. Don't tell them, but there were 9 FF slips, and it would help teams take more chances.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •