The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Today Show"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-04, 08:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Today Show"

The Today Show is doing a story on AI, just did the promo for it, and they have Elton John as one of the interviews.
Anyone interested it is on this morning, I think even the East Coast can still catch the story.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Today Show geg6 04-28-04 1
   RE: Today Show 1simplyme 04-28-04 2
       RE: Today Show Breezy 04-28-04 3
           RE: Today Show geg6 04-28-04 4
           I see Hugh Hefner has FINALLY disco... Mistral 04-28-04 10
               *snort* Breezy 04-28-04 17
       RE: Today Show wildchickenhunter 04-28-04 5
           RE: Today Show lovelypl 04-28-04 20
       RE: Today Show TeamJoisey 04-28-04 6
           Can I give you a standing ovation? Mistral 04-28-04 9
               RE: Can I give you a standing ovati... raidersfantom 04-28-04 12
           RE: Today Show callalilly3000 04-28-04 13
           Most eloquent, as always emydi 04-28-04 14
       RE: Today Show Bebo 04-28-04 7
           RE: Today Show lovelypl 04-28-04 19
   RE: Today Show seahorse 04-28-04 8
       RE: Today Show udg 04-28-04 15
   RE: Today Show redheaded_sweetheart 04-28-04 21
 RE: Today Show EnglProf 04-28-04 11
   RE: Today Show Bebo 04-28-04 16
   RE: Today Show TeamJoisey 04-28-04 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 08:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Today Show"
Yeah, I saw it. That idiot Elton John is not happy that Jennifer was voted off and that Fantasia and Latoya were in the bottom three, accusing the show and voting system of being racist. I was personally shocked at the results last week, but racism is not even in the top 100 reasons I can think of for those results. He's just P.O.'d because somehow he thinks he should be able to dictate how the results should be. I think he should just get over himself and shut up.

1simplyme 55 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-28-04, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 1simplyme Click to send private message to 1simplyme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Today Show"
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-04 AT 01:14 PM (EST)

I believe Mr. John is a man who has witnessed the truth and is not in denial like some of us are.

He's absolutely correct in his thoughts of last weeks outcome, and it's too bad that the unfair behavior continues to happen in the American world, and there's very little the victims can do about it.

Randy, Paula, Simon, the contestants, the viewers, and the voters know the truth about the outcome of last weeks AI3, and some of us admit it, and some of us are dysfunctional and in denial.

What ever the case is, I'm happy Mr. John is not in denial and is not affraid to speak the truth.

Simply put, Simply me.
Latoya, Latoya, Latoya..... All the way!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Today Show"
the outcome of last weeks AI3, and some of us admit it, and some of us are dysfunctional and in denial.

Yep I admit it, the so called "Divas" split their fans votes and that's why they were in the bottom three and Jennifer was sent home. It had nothing to do with the color of their skin.

dysfuntional but not in denial about it

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Today Show"
Thanks, Breezy, you said it before I could get the chance.

Dysfunctional, but certainly not paranoid.

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-28-04, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "I see Hugh Hefner has FINALLY discovered you!"
Hey Breezy, which month will you be featured in?

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "*snort*"
Do you know it took me a full two minutes of brain racking to try and figure out what you meant. LOL

Look for me in the September issue, since that's my birthday month.

wildchickenhunter 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-28-04, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail wildchickenhunter Click to send private message to wildchickenhunter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Today Show"
Lets see.
Last years winner.....Black Man.
This year there have been 6 people booted. Only one of which was a black person. Of the 6 left, 3 are black......Yeah, I would say that there is some racist stuff going on here.......
Oh wait,I am confused. Could you and Elton explain it again?

Flying my car to the nudie bar!

Thinks Jennifer got screwed. Doesn't think race played any part.

lovelypl 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 07:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovelypl Click to send private message to lovelypl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Today Show"
>Lets see.
>Last years winner.....Black Man.
>This year there have been 6
>people booted. Only one of
>which was a black person.
>Of the 6 left, 3
>are black......Yeah, I would say
>that there is some racist
>stuff going on here.......
>Oh wait,I am confused. Could you
>and Elton explain it again?

"Thinks Jennifer got screwed. Doesn't think
race played any part"

You just explained it yourself.
It just so happened that the best talents happened to be African American.
What, all of a sudden the fan's of the best didn't vote?????

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-28-04, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Today Show"

I'm so sick of this racist crap.

Jennifer got sent home because her fans were lethargic, and the rest of the viewers were apathetic. Fantasia and LaToya were in the bottom three for the same reason. All three seemed safe, so fewer people were driven to pick up the phone and vote for them. There's nothing racist in that.

John, Jasmine, Diana and yes, even George, have more fans dialing more times. That's probably because they want to see their favorites win, and know they need all the votes they can muster.

It's been quite obvious from the start of the finals that LaToya is a better singer and a more polished performer than any of the others. She is clearly the favorite to win. Fantasia has both fans and detractors, but she is also clearly a judges' favorite.

Does anyone really think there is a deep-seated white fear that an African-American might succeed in the music business? Doesn't that imply that black artists don't appeal to white listeners? That assumption is both ludicrous and demonstrably false.

Look around. African-Americans constitute less than 20 percent of the American population, and a substantially larger portion of the music business. The same holds true in professional sports.

I'm not denying there is racism in many facets of our society. But blaming White America for Jennifer's ouster is racist, and I'm not going to tolerate that. Suggesting that whites are conspiring to keep the black artists down is blatantly racist and anyone who espouses that is in denial of another sort. It's that simple.

For the record: Jennifer was my choice to win, and I voted for her repeatedly.

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Can I give you a standing ovation?"
You are so right on, it almost hurts.

No one called it "racism" when JPL or Amy got voted off.

Sure, EJ may be entitled to his own opinion, but in my eyes it makes him look small when he uses the race card. I think people use that as an easy out.

And as for the vote being "fair" the vote is what it is. Not everyone is going to be happy with the results, so excuses have to be made. I think we all learned at about age 3 that life isn't fair.

raidersfantom 137 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail raidersfantom Click to send private message to raidersfantom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Can I give you a standing ovation?"

>No one called it "racism" when
>JPL or Amy got voted
>off.

A) Because they are white

B) Because the majority of voters are pre-teen to teenage white girls

C) They are white

D) JPL really wasn't that good

E) They are white

F) Amy Adams "look" wasn't really appealing (the pink hair, the outfits, plus her best week was country week)

G) Did I mention they are white?

Hard for middle american white teen age girls to be accused of racism when they don't vote for a white girl/boy. The whole point is that Latoya/Fantasia/Jennifer were the best singers, and they have been bottom three many times, compared to John S. or JPL, who were only bottom three once.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-28-04, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Today Show"
TJ, you are so on the money, I couldn't have said it better if I said it myself. Thank you!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Most eloquent, as always"
TJ--

Thank you for your most eloquent argument against Elton, et al.

And the title kicked ### too!!!

emydi

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Today Show"
As a white woman who voted multiple times for both Jennifer and LaToya the week of Jennifer's outster, I'm tired of hearing the racist allegations. These talented ladies appeal to a similar crowd, and I don't categorize that crowd by skin color. Each has a more mature presence and a powerful sound.

Am I disappointed that Jennifer's gone but John and Jasmine are still there? Absolutely. But they have a completely different sound and stage presence, and would thus appeal to different folks. That's like saying that it's racist to prefer carrots to broccoli. They're going to appeal to different crowds, because they're different in so many ways.

What would really have bothered me is if LaToya would have left before Jennifer. They both appeal to me for the same reasons, but I think LaToya is more talented than Jennifer.

I may live with a John Stevens look-alike (or someone who looks like an older brother), but we are definitely a pro-LaToya household. Luckily, I'm not the jealous type, since Mr. Bebo not only praises LaToya's voice repeatedly, but keeps pointing out how she's "cute as a button".

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ

lovelypl 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovelypl Click to send private message to lovelypl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Today Show"
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-04 AT 06:19 PM (EST)

I agree with you somewhat, and this not only proves that you are not racist, it also proves that you know good vocal singing talent when you hear it.

My only disagreement is about the smaller crowd appeal, I happen to know they both appeal to a much larger crowd than small.

You go girl!

~Lovely (Latoya 4 sure!)

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Today Show"
Elton John is mad because the voting is not going the way he thinks it should be at this point and he is suggesting that the only reason this is racism.

Elton has the right to vote for his choice as well as any of the rest of us. He can dial in and vote as often as he can get in.

However, this is a popularity contest where you can vote for your favorite, based on singing ability, performing ability, looks, song choice, location where the contestant is from or anything else that might tickle your fancy and the lowest vote getters are not necessarily the the worst singers of the week.

I think that racism has had very little to do with who has been in the bottom three from week to week. All of the contestants have been in the bottom three at least once except for George who is black, so how can one assume that racism is driving the vote.

The fact that all three of the "so called divas" had similar fan bases made it very unlikely that they would be the final three voted out of this contest. It also makes it unlikely that La Toya and Fantasia will be the final two contestants this season.

Last season, Rueben beat out Clay in the finals, although in my opinion Clay was the better singer, so it is doubtful that racism is having a major impact on American Idol voting.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-28-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Today Show"
Rueben beat out Clay in the finals

Hey, watch it. I'm still in denial over that one.

---
UDG

redheaded_sweetheart 276 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 10:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail redheaded_sweetheart Click to send private message to redheaded_sweetheart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Today Show"
I totally agree with you about Elton...He just needs to get over himself!!! He hasn't had much publicity lately and needed to cause a fuss...so he threw down the race card. Remember, he was hasty to criticize Americans when the Dixie Chicks were being slammed for their comments about President Bush. Then he said that there was no free speech in America...Yes, Elton there is...but there are also consequences that go with speaking your mind! Sorry for getting "slightly" off topic. Just wanted to vent.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-28-04, 10:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Today Show"
I agree that racism wasn't involved in the vote off of Jennifer, and I'm disappointed in Elton John who (as someone whose sexuality probably makes him subject to discrimination) should know better than to call "foul" when there is no foul-- at least not as far as racism goes.

I'm with Joisey and Bebo on this one: the idea that racism is at play on AI is ludicrous, and throwing the race card in this situation is completely Crying Wolf, and we all know what happened when that little boy cried wolf one too many times. There actually is racism in our country, but this isn't one of those times, and this weakens criticism against people who really are being racist.

Latoya might be the best singer out there, and Fantasia might have a marketable sound and style, but it didn't help me want to vote for them when Simon instantly told them BOTH they could get recording contracts without the show. OKAY, then, so what's the point of the show? I want to put my votes toward someone who needs it a little bit more, who won't necessarily have record producers beating down his door once this is over. American Idol is a grass roots organization of sorts, and if Latoya and Fantasia automatically have what it takes then hand them their contracts and let us pick an American Idol.

FTR, I don't like Fantasia's voice or style and though I think Latoya is talented, she's bored the PANTS off me. She looked more interesting in the clips they showed with HER band. So, no Elton, I'm not racist because I'm not voting for the 3 Divas. I'm simply looking at a different set of criteria.

ALSO: According to Paula, it's not about hitting the right notes all the time, so based on THAT logic, Diana, Jasmine, JPL, John and George all make perfect Idols.

Quit bitching judges.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Today Show"
but it didn't help me want to vote for them when Simon instantly told them BOTH they could get recording contracts without the show.

You brought up an excellent point here. You're right, my pro-LaToya household is less likely to spend two hours each and every Tuesday punching in her number because we know she's going to have a career at the end of this whether or not she gets dubbed "The American Idol". And given some of the stories that have been published regarding the restrictive contracts with far above industry standard agent fees that the winners are stuck in (y'all can find more details on this in the News section of this website, check links on the left side of the page), part of me thinks she'll be better off if she doesn't win.

So yeah, while I would probably be motivated to buy a LaToya CD, I don't really care if it's a LaToya "The American Idol" CD. And I think I'll have the opportunity even if she doesn't win.

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-28-04, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Today Show"

I made a similar point right after the first time we heard LaToya sing a full song.

Immediately following the audtion process LaToya should have been given a recording contract instead of a spot in the finals.

I'm never going to vote for LaToya, because she has already won her contract. If I vote at all, it will be because someone else knocks my socks off in the next few weeks. But I don't see that happening.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •