The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ages of contestants"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-27-04, 10:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ages of contestants"
Why is it that the age range here is so broad..How can the people justifiably compete against each other...A 25 year old seasoned pro (latoya)..Should not be put up against drama queen high school sophomores...(diana)..

I think it should be more narrow like 18-23..

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ages of contestants shedevil 04-27-04 1
   RE: Ages of contestants niteowl 04-28-04 2
       RE: Ages of contestants shedevil 04-28-04 3
           RE: Ages of contestants Karennz 04-28-04 4
               RE: Ages of contestants PA44sec 04-28-04 6
                   RE: Ages of contestants shedevil 04-28-04 10
 RE: Ages of contestants 1simplyme 04-28-04 5
 Agree with Niteowl Breezy 04-28-04 7
   Breezy! zombiebaby 04-28-04 8
 RE: Ages of contestants pretty_pretty_princess 04-28-04 9
   RE: Ages of contestants geg6 04-28-04 12
       hmmmm Breezy 04-28-04 13
       RE: Ages of contestants emydi 04-28-04 14
 RE: Ages of contestants ValleyGirl 04-28-04 11
   RE: Ages of contestants ankerdosh 04-28-04 15
       RE: Ages of contestants escapedude 04-28-04 16
 RE: Ages of contestants bris 04-28-04 17
   RE: Ages of contestants shedevil 04-28-04 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-27-04, 10:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ages of contestants"
I totally agree with you. I've always thought it was wrong to put children against adults in talent competitions.

niteowl 199 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 01:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail niteowl Click to send private message to niteowl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ages of contestants"
You're right theoretically, but remember the voice on someone like Leanne Rimes when she was like, 14? Amazing. I'm sure there were lots of other teens who could hold their own against older singers. I just blanked on other names!

04-28-04, 02:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ages of contestants"
You're right theoretically, but remember the voice on someone like Leanne Rimes when she was like, 14? Amazing. I'm sure there were lots of other teens who could hold their own against older singers. I just blanked on other names!

Yes but Jasmine, Diana and John are not LR and can't even compare to her talent. If they could, I'd say that age doesn't matter but in this case, I believe it does. Those 3 teens go off key and out of tune way to often, especially Jasmine and John. That does matter in the real world, maybe it doesn't on "American Idol" but how many people wouldn't have a problem with paying to see someone perform live (a whole concert) and listen to someone crack, and sing out of tune?

Karennz 112 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karennz Click to send private message to Karennz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Ages of contestants"
"Those 3 teens go off key and out of tune way too often, especially Jasmine and John."

Yes, but we're hearing the AI talents live every week. I'm certain that even Leann Rimes has missed a note or two in her brief but impressive career. Every singer does. It's just that most have the benefit of a recording studio where they can record second, third, even thirteenth takes, until the finished product is absolutely perfect.

PA44sec 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 08:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PA44sec Click to send private message to PA44sec Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ages of contestants"
Karennz.... What a good point you've made. I believe I've heard all of the contestants sing a bit "off key" a few times, and I believe that's where voters are taking personality into account, as well as types of songs they're singing. Even the best bands, when heard live, do not sound nearly as good as they do on their CDs.

04-28-04, 11:17 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Ages of contestants"
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-04 AT 11:19 AM (EST)

Karennz.... What a good point you've made. I believe I've heard all of the contestants sing a bit "off key" a few times, and I believe that's where voters are taking personality into account, as well as types of songs they're singing. Even the best bands, when heard live, do not sound nearly as good as they do on their CDs.

The difference is that they don't sing a "bit" off key and they don't do it "a few" times. Jasmine, John and Diana (though not as often as the others) do it each time, through several parts of every performance they do. That would make it a lot off key most of the time.

1simplyme 55 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-28-04, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 1simplyme Click to send private message to 1simplyme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ages of contestants"
I certainly agree that the age span is all wrong, and 16 yr olds shouldn't be allowed to compete against any adults for any reason. (That's just my opinion)

Simply put, Simply me.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-04, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Agree with Niteowl"
There have been plenty of teens with awesome voices that have made it in the music world. I don't think the age limits are the problem, the problem is each individual singer's maturity.
Let's not hold back a sixteen year old that may be on AI next season, just because the teens on this season weren't ready maturitywise.

Just say no to trolls.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Breezy!"

Congratulations on 5000! Just noticed it!

pretty_pretty_princess 23 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pretty_pretty_princess Click to send private message to pretty_pretty_princess Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Ages of contestants"
I think where it's most unfair is the "theme night" aspect. The under-17 crowd is not going to be as familiar with Barry Manilow, Gloria Estefan, etc (Last year -- DIane Warren & Billy Joel) and therefore may not have the knowlege of the songs prior to the rehearsals. And if you don't believe that "knowing" a song makes a difference, let's recall Ms Hudson and her "Circle of Life" performance. She was not the strongest contestant until she did a song she has done a thousand times on the Disney cruise. (And no -- that was not a slam against her!)

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Ages of contestants"
I've got to agree with this. I was completely obvious to me that many of the contestants, especially the younger ones, had no idea whatsoever who Barry Manilow was. For instance, just for a completely off the wall comparison, I can really kick a** at karaoke singing songs of the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young because I sang them a million times since my youth and know all of the harmonies, chord changes, etc. like the back of my own hand. Make me sing some Christina or Britney, however, (especially the Britney stuff which apparently doesn't take much singing talent *grin*) and I sound like a hyena wailing at the moon.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "hmmmm"
Hyenas wail? I thought they cackled.

Will be seeing CS&N this summer at Summer Celebration.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Ages of contestants"
because I sang them a million times since my youth

geg--

That means you've been really busy at the Karaoke clubs in the 2 yrs since your youth

emydi
Knowing that I am same age as geg-and liking her choice of music too!!
GO PITT!!!!

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-28-04, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Ages of contestants"
The age factor appears to be having an affect on the outcome. Simon mentions it on a regular basis as the reason for the shaky performances, nervousness or missed notes, etc.
Maybe the younger contestants first need to go on a show that distinguishes by age, aka "Star Search", to initiate their tv exposure.
In any event, we all know who's going to win this thing.........

can anyone spell.. D.. I.. V.. A..

ankerdosh 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-28-04, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ankerdosh Click to send private message to ankerdosh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Ages of contestants"
I think there should definitely be an age limit of 18+. If they are going to let younger contestants in, the judges should stop knocking the contestants for being "so young." (by the way, I can't stand either Diana or John...but youth is not their problem).

escapedude 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-28-04, 04:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail escapedude Click to send private message to escapedude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Ages of contestants"
All very good points...I think the younger contestants are so overwhelmed with the whole situation and they freak out /sound bad , etc.

Im not questioning anyones talent it is just that they dont have the maturity or experience to deal with this contest..

bris 143 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bris Click to send private message to bris Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Ages of contestants"
I think its fair to be a 16 year old in the top 12. I mean as long as they are good. Everyone left is pretty good. and Shii Devil saying all stuff that Diana stinks is wrong becuase all jusdges have i think put her rank up to top 2 after last night. This is also the first season real young people have been in
Diana- Sophmore
John- 11th Grade
Jasmine- 12th grade
All High schoolers
The only one before them was Carmen.
I think the younger kids are better becuase it is aganst the odds for them to be in top 12 because i know Paula once rejected someone because she was too young so i think the younger kids are better and it makes teh show better for younger viewers knowing they could be on it real soon.

04-28-04, 09:25 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Ages of contestants"
Everyone left is pretty good. and Shii Devil saying all stuff that Diana stinks is wrong becuase all jusdges have i think put her rank up to top 2 after last night.

Are you talking about me? If you are it's SHEDEVIL, and don't misquote me. If you're saying I said "Diana stinks", you're wrong, I never said that. Saying someone stinks wouldn't be wrong no matter what anyone says including the judges and the voters, because it's just an opinion just like saying "Diana is good" is an opinion.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •