The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Arts and Crafts"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

katerlee 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-13-06, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail katerlee Click to send private message to katerlee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Arts and Crafts"
Ok, I'm getting tired of all this arts and crafts crap. How does smooshing paint on a canvass relate to connecting with others?

Why aren't these ladies get job and career counselling instead of clay pounding 101?

And what is with Christina wanted to be a painter (like right now)? No training. Did anyone else feel those darn flowers looked like something an 8 year old would do. Who would pay 30 dollars 50 cents maybe.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Arts and Crafts Baxtera 01-13-06 1
 RE: Arts and Crafts eire_heart74 01-13-06 2
   RE: Arts and Crafts Baxtera 01-13-06 3
       RE: Arts and Crafts Yadah 01-13-06 4
           RE: Arts and Crafts shawnar 01-13-06 5
 RE: Arts and Crafts lovemydogdude 01-13-06 6
 RE: Arts and Crafts Pixeltalk 01-13-06 7
   RE: Arts and Crafts Baxtera 01-13-06 8
       RE: Arts and Crafts roadrunner06 01-13-06 9
           RE: Arts and Crafts moonwick1 01-13-06 10
           RE: Arts and Crafts EnfanTerrible 01-14-06 11
           RE: Arts and Crafts 2Centz 01-16-06 13
           RE: Arts and Crafts 4theanimals 01-17-06 20
 RE: Arts and Crafts Mama_Pita 01-16-06 12
   RE: Arts and Crafts Siouxsie 01-16-06 14
       RE: Arts and Crafts OklaBlue 01-16-06 18
 RE: Arts and Crafts Twinkles 01-16-06 15
   RE: Arts and Crafts pinksparkleguitar 01-16-06 16
       RE: Arts and Crafts MichaelB 01-16-06 17
       RE: Arts and Crafts Twinkles 01-17-06 19
           RE: Arts and Crafts vintage53rose 01-18-06 21
               RE: Arts and Crafts lovemydogdude 01-18-06 22
 RE: Arts and Crafts GoodnightLittleBear 01-18-06 23
   RE: Arts and Crafts Reptillycus 01-18-06 24
       RE: Arts and Crafts mistyrose52 01-18-06 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Baxtera 923 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-13-06, 10:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
While Rain did end up having to pursue another route I thought the training they gave her in getting an office job and teaching her how to interview and appropriate attire, etc. was great in season 1. She actually had a job, got an apartment all during the show. While I realize it didn't work out for her and she ended up moving home and driving a bus occording to the SO site, she still had the opportunity for practical training and learned how to get a job and how to hold one and accomplished her goal of getting off welfare. I'm sure if she chose to pursue a career change down the road she'd have the skills to go for it.

Since Rain we've had Josie who never learned anything practical and got animal training for her graduation present and then ended up as a bartender and later a personal care attendent. While there is nothing wrong with doing either perhaps more practical training would have benefited her in the long run?

Christina has thought about being a writer, a real estate agent, a manager, and now an artist all without her GED and without any practical idea about how these careers/business operate. That's right who cares the Universe takes care of you.

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-13-06, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Why aren't these ladies get job
>and career counselling instead of
>clay pounding 101?

I couldn't agree with you more! I am so sick of these stunts that have her doing. Get her some job training and skills that she can actually use.

It shows just how immature she is, everyday it's something new she wants to be. Hello you have a kid. GET A JOB!!! It just seems she is just looking for the easy way out again! And this show is just helping her hustle still!

I think it's great to have a hobby. Maybe painting, writing can be her little creative output. Her me time if you will. But how is she getting over the get rich quick idea when SO just keeps setting her up for it?

01-13-06, 01:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Baxtera Click to send private message to Baxtera Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Exactly the hustle the hustle. I can whip up a craft project, a painting and hustle it at an art show. Then again other people with real talent take classes, perfect their talent, network, learn how to market their product, actually work at the process.

Christina isn't being encouraged to actually work at anything. Everything is about immediate gratification. Gee where will that lead?

Yadah 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-13-06, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Yadah Click to send private message to Yadah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I don't disagree. I just wonder if they LC's aren't letting Christina explore some different avenues to "try her wings out"?? I don't know. She is pretty young and did lose some formative years where teens "spread their wings and try to fly". I really feel like we've missed A LOT in the editing process. I mean...what happened to her working for her dad? Why isn't she being helped to get in W.I.C. or something to get care for her son WHILE she is unemployed. Is it that she' already has all that done? I just feel like so many pieces to the puzzle are missing in Christinas story.

There is a lot to be said for JOB TRAINING though. Even if it's only for an office job........that's income to support her and her son.

shawnar 366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-13-06, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shawnar Click to send private message to shawnar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I was a little confused about the painting exercise with all the woman. But I did like the outcome. I think it fine for Christina to work on her art for an outlet. But she is making it more important than studying for her G.E.D. arts and crafts if fun but she is not going to get far without and education.

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-13-06, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I SOOooooo agree. If she needs to earn money they should hook her up with a job in a restaraunt i.e. like Lisa...make her work for a week to earn the money!!! Geesh enough with this fantasy about selling her arts & crafts...it's sickening.

Pixeltalk 644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-13-06, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pixeltalk Click to send private message to Pixeltalk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I wish they would have Christina (and Lisa1) take some career tests and get career counseling. I think they (SO) promulgate these unrealistic career goals by encouraging people to DREAM BIG. It is good to dream but you also have to be practical, especially if you have a child.

01-13-06, 05:25 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I think the downside is when they leave the house the cameras are off and the reality hits that dreams are nice but reality takes hard work. Most people really do have to have education and or training in their field to be succesful and sometimes you do have to work in an office, wait tables, etc. so you have the chance to take the classes you need to get to the dream job.

roadrunner06 21 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-13-06, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail roadrunner06 Click to send private message to roadrunner06 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I'm pretty sure that, somewhere in the SO contract, it reads, "I agree that I will do hours and hours of pointless art projects to symbolically represent my struggles."

If they value art so much, why not put an art therapist on staff?

Couldn't agree more on the fact that career counseling and practical work experience are missing and needed for everyone in the house. The greatest gift you can give someone is an education: not a papier-mache flower. Christina's tutoring for the GED is the most practical expeience she's had yet. Lisa should STILL be working at the restaurant, or better yet, making jewelry. Jill is unemployed. SO is turning into summer camp/vacation. If you want to survive in the real world, after starting over, it's going to take more than the ability to do a crappy self-portrait.

moonwick1 74 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-13-06, 10:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonwick1 Click to send private message to moonwick1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I'm thinking Crayola would be a better sponcer then Glade..But what do I know??

Arts and crafts are a great outlet..I personally LOVE working with clay and I keep a pretty thick journal, but I don't take to the notion that I can feed my 3 children doing either..

How many famous artists do we know who never saw their own fame before death? Next time the heating bill is bigger then my budget I think I'll hock one of my "clay creations"..I mean, why ask for a few extra hours on a real job??

It's nice but not reality..Teach her a job worthy skill already.

EnfanTerrible 1239 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-06, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnfanTerrible Click to send private message to EnfanTerrible Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Arts and Crafts"

>If they value art so much,
>why not put an art
>therapist on staff?
>
Wow, good point!

2Centz 150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-16-06, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 2Centz Click to send private message to 2Centz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Exactly, roadrunner.

"If you teach a man to fish..." All this talk about "skills" has me scratching my head.

How can theses lazy girls learn to take care of themselves with hobbycrafts?

Perhaps sometime in the future, Christina's work will be good enough for her to support her family on, but until then she needs money, and unless they want her to go back to her old ways of earning it, they'd better teach her a more traditional way of earning it.

She needs a day job, then she can paint at night.

By the way, I've been lurking around here for a little while, but this is my first posting!

4theanimals 32 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-06, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 4theanimals Click to send private message to 4theanimals Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
>If they value art so much,
>why not put an art
>therapist on staff?

Exactly! Art therapy is actually quite valid and can be very useful in accessing the psyche. Unfortunately they seem to be giving it a bad name on this show. They've had so many other "experts", why not an art therapist.

Mama_Pita 122 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-16-06, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mama_Pita Click to send private message to Mama_Pita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Those flowers were actually an assignment she had to do with Dr. Stan, Remember the sillouettes of the three "hookers" that she had to name and then destroy, well ,she took those three cutouts and ripped them to pieces and glues them on posterboard and painted them. She didnt do that just to do it. and your right about them looking like an 8 yr old did it, but i would give more credit to the 8 yr old LOL

Siouxsie 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-16-06, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Siouxsie Click to send private message to Siouxsie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Hmm ...

Honestly, how much studying does one have to do for a GED? This isn't Cassie who had issues of trauma that compounded taking the test. My understanding was that Christina was only low in the writing portion, and all the writing they have to do while journaling probably helps in that department.

From the production point of view, which films better: Christina working on Arts and Crafts, or Christina at a desk writing?

We can see some of what she does do, but this says nothing about what she does in the clips that we don't see. For all we know, she could be spending an hour or two each day on GED prep.

In relation to the comments in this thread, what seems to be missing for me is the fact that people in the arts (painters, dancers, singers, actors, etc.) often work a desk job (part time or full) for years and years until they make it, assuming they are lucky enough to make it.

I'm not going to critique her work and say 8th graders can do better or not. She probably can sell something at the farmer's makret. I'd rather buy something nice to look at for $10 - $20 rather than the several hundred dollars it costs for professional art.

But then again, someone should be giving her a cost analysis lesson. You spent X on supplies and it took Y time. If the people at the farmer's market are only willing to shell out $10 - $20 for art, can you break even at that price? If the painting you did was so big and took so much time and supplies that you have to sell it for $50 or $100, it probably needs to be marketed elsewhere and you may have to have more skills to produce something to sell in that higher market. Perhaps she should be working on smaller pieces?

Anyway, we're not seeing any of the practical "what you also need to be thinking of to make this profitable" discussion. If it's just going to be a hobby where if something sells that's cool and if not, no biggie, then she still needs that desk job to pay the rent, etc.

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 08:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Why would anyone pay anything for her crap when they can go to a "Starving Artists" sale and get something nice for $20 or less?

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
'how does smooshing paint on a canvas relate to how you get along with others?"

Well, they could have done any type of group project together to do an exercise to demonstrate interaction. They could have folded envelopes for a non-profit mailing or had the LC there while they tried to cook an outdoor bar-b-que or something. But when people smoosh paint or clay, they tend to "let go" emotionally more than they would if they were working with other tools.

Job counseling and "just getting a job" are very practical and real-world, and they sound like they make perfect sense for all of their next steps. I understand why it seems like they should put more emphasis on those things. With Christina, I think they are working on her practical problems one-at-a-time.

I'd like to play devils advocate for part of it, though. People like Kim, Christina, and nuLisa, (I made up a Native American name for her MarriedLisa CriesWithTears) have gone through the motions getting married, having kids, and for 2 of them, getting jobs. But doing the basics of real world things without healing emotional and communication problems only delays having them done in a healthy way.

pinksparkleguitar 1222 desperate attention whore postings

01-16-06, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pinksparkleguitar Click to send private message to pinksparkleguitar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
>But when people smoosh
>paint or clay, they tend
>to "let go" emotionally more
>than they would if they
>were working with other tools.
>I'd like to play devils advocate
>for part of it, though.
>People like Kim, Christina, and
>nuLisa, (I made up
>a Native American name for
>her MarriedLisa CriesWithTears) have gone
>through the motions getting married,
>having kids, and for 2
>of them, getting jobs. But
>doing the basics of real
>world things without healing emotional
>and communication problems only delays
>having them done in a
>healthy way.

I really would value these kinds of art thearapy exercises for people whom they are well suited to, like Nulisa (I love the name you gave her, Twinkles!!) or Kim. I think it is simply the wrong exercise for Christina or OldLisa. They both need practical world training, and Christina needs to be told in a nice way that she doesn't have the talent so far to be an artist and make money enough for her and her kid.

It sounds to me like she's still denying the fact that she needs to do real work. If she can't hustle, what else sounds whimsical and fun and not hard to do for money? Art. Writing . . . .neither of those would sound to her like they are work. As a poet who works a day job, and has gone through six years of school fo it, I know she is wrong, but thinking about it, it makes sense from her 'non-work" point of view.

MichaelB 74 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-16-06, 07:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MichaelB Click to send private message to MichaelB Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I think this last litter is so hopeless they're just keeping them busy with paper and crayolas until their parents come pick them up.

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings

01-17-06, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
I'm hoping she'll find out that she can't get any money for the "artwork" when she tries to sell it. People really learn lessons better when things happen, and not so much when they are just told that things are true. I'm waiting with bated breath til the Farmers Market. She'll show up with 2 flowers and some white thready image on some blue background (and it'll still be damp). Umm, not such an impressive showing. If I had an apartment and I was looking for decorations it might inspire me to "do-it-myself".

But in general, yeah, I'm sick of looking at art-therapy type of stuff on the show, too. Bring back the hip-hop dance teacher! Let Christina try the Dating Game! I want MTV to produce a season of SO. Real World - Starting Over. Add a Hot Tub and tequila. At least on Real World they all have to take a real job together and it's a condition of staying in the house that they have to keep the job. Sure, they aren't they don't think they have emotional problems, but they have kids with just as many problems as these women. (and it's also a Bunim-Murray production.)

vintage53rose 29 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-06, 00:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vintage53rose Click to send private message to vintage53rose Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Oh my my my... misleading producers again (and Dr. Stan was in on it) The farmer's market she went to was a parking lot swap meetish type of farmer's market.

Here all along I thought that is was THE Farmer's Market on Fairfax. The one that's been there since the 1900's (may be off be a decade or three), with individual stores, etc. Large tourist volume. Anyone in LA when you say "Farmer's Market" almost immediatly thinks of that. So what does she get.... retired visitors who want to haggle and the retired gentlemen want to flirt.

<sigh>

Tina

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-18-06, 01:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Her art sucked! These people who purchased it either had to be paid/encouraged..or they just wanted to be on tv. Someone obviously coached her re: the price she should ask for (remember the kindergarden wreath..she was WAY out as far as the $ she should expect) Still with lesser numbers I think she was asking too much. The fact that anybody purchased her crap shows IMO that the whole thing was rigged.

GoodnightLittleBear 461 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

01-18-06, 03:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GoodnightLittleBear Click to send private message to GoodnightLittleBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
It's all a bunch of BS. I haven't seen so much arts and craft projects since Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room.

I agree, they need to teach them real job skills but of course that is not very glamorous. Be realistic and send Christina to a job she could get with or without a GED like a job at McDonalds or The Gap.

Reptillycus 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

01-18-06, 04:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Reptillycus Click to send private message to Reptillycus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
Guaranteed if she comes to CA with her skills, she will be on welfare or hooking, within 3 months, unless she gets a guy to pay her rent, etc.
She doesn't have the people skills to get along with a legitimate roommate for very long, and she can't even take art classes in CA at a Community College, which are Very Good Deals, a GED is not required, you just have to be 18 years old, until she has been here long enough to be deemed a Resident, thus qualifying for very low rates.
She doesn't want to work fast food, or entry level office, but there is not much else open to her.
If she worked fast food, or entry level office, got some education, within 2 years she could be doing much better for herself and her son, But She Doesn't Want To...because That's Too Hard. Well, I have been there precisely because everything was Too Hard, and I wish I had just woken up much sooner that I did...it's much harder in the long run to avoid doing things the right way because you are afraid of failure. Not doing the right thing because you are afraid to do it IS failure.

mistyrose52 795 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-06, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistyrose52 Click to send private message to mistyrose52 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Arts and Crafts"
LAST EDITED ON 01-18-06 AT 12:37 PM (EST)

Well, I don't know if this was mentioned, but how did it help her for Ilanya to hand her a $20?? The other day when Christina came back so dispondent and down because she just couldn't sell all her clothing items, and art work? HELLO!

That is something your grandmother or sugar daddy does for you! In the real world, NO ONE hands you anything! You work hard for everything you get. You get out there and get an education! I worked my way through nursing school with 2 small children. Yes, I had a husband who helped, but I know plenty of RN's who didn't.

Christina is a hustler, plain and simple, immature, snotty, snobby, and not willing to WORK for a living! If it were THAT easy to make a few hundred bucks every weekend, heck, I'd be throwing some paper and paint on a canvas and heading to a Farmer's Market!! Wouldn't we all??

I don't get the point of any of this. She and Lisa1 have gone NO WHERE fast in this house-if anything, they are regressing. I give her 3 weeks out of the house before she hits the streets again-she's already talking about it. Sad, but true. She's had the 'easy' money, and I can't see her taking anything less, without MAJOR help! Which she is NOT getting at the SO House!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •