The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-27-04, 02:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
With all due respect to sodiumswirl, who made a noble effort to replace me this week, I have decided to continue my column despite my palpable outrage over the untimely boot of Jennifer Hudson. A warning, though, the anger I feel over the situation has caused me to been even bitchier than usual. Don’t be surprised if I take out this anger in an unusually cruel manner on the numerous fashion errors of this week.

Last week, Spring appeared to have sprung all over the stage of American Idol, and based on the general color scheme of the contestants, the Easter Bunny apparently projectile vomited on them. Let’s get one thing clear, I hate Spring. Spring sickens me. I think there should only be two seasons, bitter Winter and steamy Summer, with a few weeks of recovery Fall between. With my current love life in the toilet, and with no looming prospects, I am still in the middle of bitter Winter. So don’t give me your f’ing Spring pastel crap. I ain’t havin’ none of it.

1. Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer will be my exception today, I refuse to savage her any more than the voters have already done by booting her unjustly about 4 weeks too early. She earns ‘Diva of the Week’ looking classy and elegant (and bucking the sickening Spring trend) in black and white. With a white fitted jacket over a black bustier and black ¾ slacks, she looked appealingly retro. Her black and white checkered choker and matching black and white interlaced hoop earrings were effective and unusual. And her wavy hair was soft and approachably sophisticated. (I wasn’t digging on the low-slung silver chain belt that accentuated her hips, but I’m quibbling.) Most of all, though, Jennifer gave a heart-felt, impassioned, and full-throated rendition of ‘Weekend in New England’ that stands with the best performances of any season of American Idol. Her unique spirit and intense commitment to each song are the mark of a true Diva. You are better than this dog-and-pony competition, Jennifer. Find somewhere they can truly appreciate you.

2. Jasmine Trias
Jasmine ranks so high this week because despite the crap they put her in, she is undeniably lovely, and her sleek new hairstyle, new French manicure, and smoky-eyed makeup were unquestionably stunning this week. Also, she appears to have finally taken my advice and lost the silly flower-behind-the-ear gimmick. And, performance-wise, she stepped away from the microphone and let go a little bit, pulling away from her typically stilted Stepford-Idol shtick. So, there is a lot of good stuff going on. But what the heck was she wearing? Fist of all, the baby-pink (Springy!) crepe layered scarf-skirt was ultra-feminine but just too oddly constructed for my taste. And we know your navel is lovely, Jasmine, but must you display it for us every week? The belly-baring garb simply points up your youth in a way which isn’t helping you at all. And a dark denim jacket over a cropped white silk camisole tank? Again, your tendency to dress much too casually is really hurting your image. If you want us to think you are an adult, try dressing like one for a change!

3. LaToya London
I loves me some LaToya, no question. But last week, Girl let me down! Somehow, she managed to find jeans that made her teeny-tiny frame look pear-shaped, which I would have though was impossible. The rise on them was simply too high, and the taper on the leg was unfortunate as well. Her lemon yellow (Springy!) cowl-neck top was a bit more of a success, especially when paired with lovely bronze-toned accessories and bright metallic-yellow eyeshadow. But the whole thing was simply not exciting enough, not powerful enough, not memorable enough. If you want to win this thing girl, which I think you can, you need to start dressing like a winner EVERY WEEK. This week, you dressed like a bottom three contestant, and low-and-behold, that’s where you landed.

4. Fantasia Burrino
Again, like LaToya, Fantasia failed to impress me this week. Another unfortunate pair of jeans is to blame, I’m afraid. If I were Fantasia, I’d try to hide my body-shape issues with a darker, dressier jean, which has a crisper fabric. I didn’t mind her black boots so much, but her dusty rose (Springy!) suede shirt-jacket, layered over a white tank, was completely unflattering. And she’s back to the hard-edged bangs I hated so much three weeks ago. In the homestretch, Fantasia, why are you slipping backwards into too-casual attire, too-tight jeans, and too-ghetto hair? It’s time to crank this up a notch, fashion-wise, before it’s too late!

5. John Stephens
The only thing more dull this week than John’s milquetoast rendition of ‘Mandy’ was his risk-free grey suit and slate blue shirt. His bland, colorless vocals, severely limited range, and complete lack of dynamics make him one of the least entertaining human beings I know. And his inability to take any risks whatsoever with his look only adds to my intense, violent, and burning disinterest for him. This man is about as exciting as page 347 of the DeMoines white pages. He has all the charisma of a bump on a log. (Not the primary bump, mind you, but a secondary little pimple which is lower and to the left of the bump on the log.) And, all things considered, he’s not even cute. How someone like him can garner more votes than Jennifer is absolutely, positively unfathomable to me. HE MUST GO NOW!!!

6. George Huff
Poor George was lead astray by his stylist this week. In a silly yolk-collared peach/cream vertical striped pajama shirt and matchy-matchy cream slacks, he looked like he was about to serve ice cream out of a little truck that plays an annoying little tune as it drives through residential Alabama. Is it just me, or does George seem to get less and less interesting every week?

7. Diana Degarmo
Sadly, little Diana finds herself at the bottom of my list of shame. In a boxy boy-cut baby blue suit and a lemon-yellow camisole top, she looked like a freaking Easter egg. I realize Diana is not fat, so it galls me that somehow she manages to find things every week that simply aren’t flattering for her figure. I do like her newly sleek blonde hairdo, but I wasn’t vibing on the long strands and silver hearts that she chose for earrings. This girl needs to find a unique sense of personal style, and go with it, STAT, or her days are numbered.

There are certainly some who will scoff at my use of shallow, surface attributes to judge our Idol Finalists. I say, to those who scoff, they can all kiss my tanned, hairless, Stairmaster-toned a$$.

Larry Johnson is a comedy writer, currently working for Disney TV. Look for his weekly commentary from a gay point of view. Please check out his website, http://www.gaycomedyjournals.com/

Cumulative Rankings:
1. LaToya London 2.0 (2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3)
2. Jasmine Trias 3.5 (1, 4, 3, 6, 5, 2)
3. Fantasia Burrino 4.5 (5, 5, 7, 5, 1, 4)
4. George Huff 4.7 (3, 3, 5, 4, 7, 6)
5. Diana Degarmo 6.8 (9, 8, 6, 7, 4, 7)
6. John Stephens 7.7 (7, 9, 10, 9, 6, 5)

R.I.P.:
7. Jennifer Hudson 2.5 (4, 2, 4, 1, 3, 1)
8. Jon Peter Lewis 4.5 (6, 6, 1, 3, 8)
9. Camille Velasco 8.9 (11, 11, 9, 8)
10. Amy Adams 8.3 (10, 7, 8)
11. Matt Rogers 11 (12,10)
12. Leah LaBelle 8 (8)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... nailbone 04-27-04 1
   RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... ginger 04-27-04 3
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... strid333 04-27-04 2
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... idlegossip 04-27-04 4
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... shedevil 04-27-04 5
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... Breezy 04-27-04 6
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... stormysatan 04-27-04 7
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... Bebo 04-27-04 8
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... geg6 04-27-04 9
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... archon 04-28-04 10
 Thank you! TeamJoisey 04-28-04 11
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... bobstew617 04-28-04 12
   RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... shedevil 04-28-04 13
       RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... stormysatan 04-30-04 14
           RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barr... butthunder 04-30-04 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-27-04, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Yay!! sodiumswirl did a fine job, but no one beats the Master!

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Another indicator that the class audience did appreciate Jennifer. I actually liked "Weekend in New England" when she sang it. I also thought of you while hurling small objects at the television last week. Thank you for being bigger than the voters and continuing to lend your own brand of savvy and sparkle to our season.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-27-04, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Yay!

Three is the perfect number. RMNW!

idlegossip 116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-27-04, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Now THIS is what I was waiting for! Ss did a good job, too, but Larry is what brings me here. Poor John. He must feel so bad the way he gets pounded. I hope his misery ends this week!

(We gotta b*tch or we'll explode!)

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-27-04, 03:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Thanks for entertaining me yet again. I agree with everything the only exception is I would've ranked Latoya over Jasmine. Jasmine's outfit was a mess put together, each piece of it was good but not together.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 03:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
*giggle* when Jasmine came out without her flower, I said to DD look she listened to Larry finally.

Just say no to trolls.

stormysatan 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-27-04, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stormysatan Click to send private message to stormysatan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
That was great, TODD!
I jush wish you had put Jasmine over Jennifer.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Bebo.heart.Larry.

But don't you think page 158 of the Des Moines phone book was more boring?

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Oh, Larry, my heart was breaking for you last week and I never even liked Jennifer!

I am ashamed to say that one of my first thoughts (after I picked myself off the floor where I had fallen in my shock) was, "Ooooo, man, is Larry going to be the snarkiest of the snarky this week!" *drops her eyes to the floor in shame*

And I was right! I *heart* Larry.

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Larry...

Thanks for overcoming the your outrage and funneling it into a great journal!

"This man is about as exciting as page 347 of the DeMoines white pages."

Now, is that a comment on Jon only, or does that include everyone on page 347?

Archon
Relieved to find himself on on page 437!

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-28-04, 09:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Thank you!"
Larry, glad to see you return.

If you didn't show up soon I was going to post my own critique of week seven, sort of a "Queer Eye by a Straight Guy" spoof of your column. Please find the words to describe the shredded tomato look we saw on Diana.

I'm feeling your pain over Jennifer. I thought she had a good shot to win it all.

Now is the winter of our discontent.

bobstew617 723 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-28-04, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bobstew617 Click to send private message to bobstew617 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
That was GREAT, Larry--you made my day in the middle of payroll! You really know how to cut to the chase, don't you?
I miss Jennifer, too--she would have been GREAT last night!

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-28-04, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
That was GREAT, Larry--you made my day in the middle of payroll! You really know how to cut to the chase, don't you?
I miss Jennifer, too--she would have been GREAT last night!

I miss Jenn too but it helps to see her all over the media, and I'm so thrilled to know she's going to be touring with Barry! I agree, she would've been great last night. Last night was a total nightmare, with the exception of a few moments.Jenn's picture was on the cover of "USA Today" yesterday! That's my girl.

stormysatan 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-30-04, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stormysatan Click to send private message to stormysatan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Jennifer is as good as last week's news now. She doesn't interest the public anymore.

butthunder 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-30-04, 03:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail butthunder Click to send private message to butthunder Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 6 (Barry Manilow)"
Great job Todd!!!!!!!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •