The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-09-05, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
So,
1. Hayden falls to pieces and quits the Roadblock.
2. Mary Adam falls to pieces and wants to go home. Right. Now. (but doesn't)
3. A contestant on American Idol walks away, despite having made the cut.
4. A contestant on The Apprentice up and leaves.

What is this? These casting agencies are falling down on the job. Who will be the next quitter?

Someone should start a pool or something.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Surveysez 02-09-05 1
   RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? ginger 02-09-05 2
       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? strid333 02-09-05 3
           RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? ginger 02-09-05 4
               RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Seana 02-09-05 5
                   RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? I_AM_HE 02-09-05 10
                       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Seana 02-10-05 14
       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? I_AM_HE 02-09-05 9
           RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? tvgeek401 02-15-05 26
               RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? gerk 02-15-05 27
 RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Tahj 02-09-05 6
   RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? KObrien_fan 02-10-05 18
       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Tahj 02-10-05 23
           RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? ginger 02-10-05 24
               RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Tahj 02-11-05 25
 RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? daddy brian 02-09-05 7
 RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? MsShel330 02-09-05 8
 RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? 712 02-10-05 11
   RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? PepeLePew13 02-10-05 12
       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? 712 02-10-05 15
   RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? yensid 02-10-05 16
       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Surveysez 02-10-05 17
           RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? Seana 02-10-05 19
               Aaron explains mikey 02-10-05 21
 RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? seahorse 02-10-05 13
   RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? okaychatt 02-10-05 20
       RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend? I_AM_HE 02-10-05 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-09-05, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
Next up on "The Real Quitter"

Sixteen contestants race to be the first to hand in a letter of resignation. Sounds like a complete in one episode show.

I child proofed my house and they still get in.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"

Let's remember the pioneers of this genre:

Guy Whose Name I Have Completely Forgotten, But Not Tek Money, from Real World Hawaii
Frankie the Cutter, Real World San Diego
Osten, Survivor

Those are big shoes, running away from a challenge as fast as possible, to fill.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
And we can't forget that on All-Stars Survivor, we had TWO quitters. I know that Jenna M and Sue had their reasons but this is supposed to be the best of the best on the show.

Three is the perfect number.

02-09-05, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
You're right! I'd forgotten about the horribly traumatic incident which FORCED Miz Hawk to take her toys and go home.

Still think "to Osten" is the appropriate verb, though.

02-09-05, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
What is this "Survivor"?

I remember hearing about the sick mother, now that you mention it.
What summary should I read to learn about the other? And Osten?

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-09-05 AT 09:00 PM (EST)

Osten - 7.6 (and every episode prior to learn what a wuss he was)
Jenna - 8.3
Sue - 8.6
marshall and lance were TAR 5.6, i think, but noone wrote that summary (I had 5.7, the week after)

perhaps we should just not have episodes numbered 6, like hotels have no 13th floor...

ETA - I think Osten may actuall be 7.7a, now that I think about it, but that partially rules out the evil 6 idea, so we'll pretend i'm still right . yep, just checked and osten is indeed 7.7a, Jims' great 'Outwit, outplay, outcast' summary

02-10-05, 10:58 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
Thank you I_AM_HE! I'll be sure to give these a read when I have a moment.

02-09-05, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-09-05 AT 08:52 PM (EST)

yes, osten must be punished severely. he started this whole thing (ok, so i'd rather poke my eyes out with forks than watch real world, so i have no idea if they predate the paper tiger or not, but i'll blame him anyway). also include marshall and lance from last season's TAR to your list and the above mentioned Sue and Jenna

tvgeek401 1615 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

02-15-05, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tvgeek401 Click to send private message to tvgeek401 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I am proving myself as an embarassment to TAR fandom, but when did Marshall/Lance osten?

Handcrafted by RollDdice ignore this space. ignore, ignore, ignore this spaceIcecat is da bomb!

gerk 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-15-05, 08:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gerk Click to send private message to gerk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
Marshall and Lance quit because one of them had his knees give out on him. He had been in excruciating pain for a couple of episodes and when they were at a Roadblock at the Great Pyramids they couldn't finish...something like that.

"Humans are some of the funniest people"

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-09-05, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I, for one, don't mind it. It makes the shows more interesting and considering the stakes, it takes a lot of courage to quit. There seems to be a particular ethic in our society that quitting is always wrong, that it shows weakness or a lack of character. Many people find out in particular situations they are in that it was the wrong choice. Why should they have to stay?

Moves by Syren

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 12:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I, for one, don't mind it. It makes the shows more interesting and considering the stakes, it takes a lot of courage to quit. There seems to be a particular ethic in our society that quitting is always wrong, that it shows weakness or a lack of character. Many people find out in particular situations they are in that it was the wrong choice. Why should they have to stay?

I disagree. It does not take a lot of courage to quit, it takes a lot of courage to persevere when the going gets tough. They all (reality contestants) knew the stakes going in. There is a definate start and stop to each race/game, so it isn't as though sticking it out and extra hour/day/week or whatever until you are eliminated will make things better by quitting instead of completing what you set out to do.

Take Lena and Kristy for example from this years TAR. They got stuck in a haybale roadblock that either one of them could have quit during, but they both stuck it out and yes they were eliminated, but at least they didn't quit.

Hayden and Aaron had been such a successful team. Why quit if you have maybe 10 minutes left to find the right lock? It's not like they would have had to stay up on the mountain for the entire night. Why quit at that point when they had come so far, what did they gain by quitting?

It is one thing to quit your job in order to make a better life for yourself, or to give up trying to work things out with an abusive spouse, those kinds of things take courage. It is quite another to get on a reality show that lasts 39 days or whatever, and then quit part way in.

S10 PTB Sign up HERE

02-10-05, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I said that considering the stakes, it takes a lot of courage to quit. I mean that after everything they've already gone through to get as far as they have, and to be competing for the kind of prizes they are, to quit in the face of all that takes courage. They are letting lots of people down, including themselves, and they have to face the repercussions of their decisions. So, at that particular stage of the game, I think it takes less courage to persevere than it does to quit.

Moves courtesy of Syren

02-10-05, 06:33 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
It pisses me off when they quit. Other people could have had that spot.

02-11-05, 11:01 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
That's one of the repercussions that quitters suffer. I'm sure many people have said that to them.

Moves courtesy of Syren

daddy brian 39 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-09-05, 05:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail daddy%20brian Click to send private message to daddy%20brian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I think if a contestant quits they should be given no money at all. It is a bad trend.

MsShel330 695 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-09-05, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MsShel330 Click to send private message to MsShel330 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I started to play the TAR drinking game last night. Thank God that I didn't. I would have been unconscious halfway through the night.

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-10-05, 04:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
If you think about it, Hayden and Aaron giving up the roadblock when they did could have been a smart thing to do, albeit a huge gamble. Time was running out for them as well as Adam and Rebecca, as Phil said they had to be finished the roadblock by 7:00PM, before the last gondola thingy left. If Rebecca hadn't have been able to find her lock, they too would have been penalized 4 hours, but Hayden and Aaron might have been at the pit stop a good ten minutes ahead of them. Four hour penalties for both teams would have meant Adam and Rebecca would have been sent packing.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 06:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
True, but Rebecca had found the lock while Hayden/Aaron were still in the area -- the two teams went down together.

So, Hayden/Aaron simply quit. If that was their strategy to hope that A/R would fail to find the lock by 7 pm, then they should have stuck it out once they realized that A/R were successful and hoped they could quickly find the lock and that A/R got lost on the way to the pit stop. Nope, H/A quit, plain and simple.

Scratch and sniff

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-10-05, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
What were the chances of finding it within the next, what, two minutes before Adam and Rebecca caught the thing back down? I do not blame them one bit for not even wanting to bother.

yensid 786 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-10-05, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail yensid Click to send private message to yensid Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 12:29 PM (EST)

I am wondering if the penalty would have been the same for Adam and Rebecca if they had gone until 7pm and not been able to open a lock. In their case, they wouldn't have quit, but run out of time, unlike Hayden/Aaron who actually quit looking and left before the 7pm deadline. Just a thought. I would assume that the penatly for running out of time, would not be as big as just quitting.

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I wondered about that too, cause Phil said the time they had to try to finish by. If they went to the end of their time, they did not complete the block, but they also did not quit.

I child proofed my house and they still get in.

02-10-05, 01:00 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
There was a brief discussion about this in Fanatics.

Also, this article on the news page of this site seems to say that if R/A hadn't found the lock, they'd have been eliminated. (6 paragraphs down)

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-10-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Aaron explains"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 01:36 PM (EST)

Here'san article with Aaron's explanation (although the person who wrote it had F/K mixed up with A/R:
http://www.themorningsun.com/stories/021005/loc_crumbaugh001.shtml

Crumbaugh said the Tuesday finale made it look like he and Hayden gave up. Not so.

Their team and the team of Freddy Holliday and Kendra Bentley, the eventual winners, were atop a mountain in China. The challenge had the women try to find a key to open a lock. There seemed to be 50 keys and 50 locks. But after nearly five hours and bloody, bruised hands, no key was found.

Crumbaugh said that's when the producer gave the two teams identical options. Stay on the mountain and start again in the morning or take a clue and get a four-hour penalty.

"We had traveled 17 to 20 hours on a train across China and camped out in the cold,“ Crumbaugh said. Their cab driver got lost and set them back two hours. Hayden had been working the locks five hours when Crumbaugh and she decided to take the clue.

He told Hayden, "we'll have a race to the end and take the penalty.“ But just as he said that the other team member found the right key.

"Our hearts sank,“ Crumbaugh said. "It literally came down to seconds to losing a million dollars.“

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
I think these contestants will have the stigma of a quitter with them forever. They will wish they had done things differently.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 01:05 PM (EST)

<stigma of a quitter

Yep. The race is partially about persistence.

Hayden had a bad day and threw a temper tantrum. Then she quit. That's not a sign of good character.

ETF syntax.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

02-10-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Giving Up - New Reality Trend?"
while i agree about quitting in general, i can't blame hayden nearly so much. they had had a horrific day almost entirely out of their control. they would have been eliminated anyway, so they took a gamble. that it didn't pay off, and that Rebecca found her lock immediately and they knew it wouldn't pay off doesn't matter - in fact, i think going to the mat knowing it was the end helped calm them down, refocus, and left them some dignity and peace by going out on their own terms to some degree, when nothing else that day had been up to them

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •