The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Interesting article on from MSN"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-23-04, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Interesting article on from MSN"
Saw this article this morning on MSN about the voting.
I thought it was an interesting concept to have people vote for who they want eliminated instead of who they like the most.

link here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4649112/?GT1=3256

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... mrc 04-23-04 1
   RE: Interesting article on from MS... brvnkrz 04-23-04 2
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... managerr 04-23-04 3
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... buckeyegirl 04-23-04 4
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... okaychatt 04-23-04 5
   RE: Interesting article on from MS... brvnkrz 04-23-04 9
       RE: Interesting article on from MS... ssmith949 04-23-04 18
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... okaychatt 04-23-04 6
   Split? AyaK 04-23-04 7
       RE: Split? okaychatt 04-23-04 8
           RE: Split? Ricky 04-23-04 10
               RE: Split? brvnkrz 04-23-04 11
                   RE: Split? ssmith949 04-23-04 16
                       RE: Split? brvnkrz 04-23-04 20
                   RE: Split? idlegossip 04-23-04 23
                       RE: Split? ssmith949 04-23-04 24
               RE: Split? okaychatt 04-23-04 25
           RE: Split? seahorse 04-23-04 12
               RE: Split? JOSHIDOL 04-23-04 21
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... managerr 04-23-04 13
   look at Survivor for examples TeamJoisey 04-23-04 22
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... managerr 04-23-04 14
   RE: Interesting article on from MS... ssmith949 04-23-04 17
       RE: Interesting article on from MS... managerr 04-23-04 19
   RE: Interesting article on from MS... okaychatt 04-23-04 26
       RE: Interesting article on from MS... JOSHIDOL 04-23-04 27
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... dangerkitty 04-23-04 15
 RE: Interesting article on from MS... munson 04-23-04 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 09:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
Paula was on ET last night complaining about Jennifer's boot and lecturing America about how it should vote. She even encouraged voters to use computers and automatic redial machines to counteract those that are already being used.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
I saw that on ET, I thought it might just perpetuate the problem though.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-23-04, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
This is an interesting dilemma. The judges are practically screaming to the fans to vote Jon Stevens. That can totally backfire as some people don't like being told what to do. I have never heard of the judges and everyone being so anti a singer before. He must be getting a lot of votes, because they seem so terrified that he'd win. They weren't like that with even Carmen or Nikki.

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
Thanks Buggy, interesting article. I think that the voting system should be changed...but I have no idea how they can make it better. Maybe if they charged people a small fee to call, it would stop all of this repeat voting. (If it cost me .99 to vote, I'd do it.) I must say all this backlash against JS makes me almost want to vote for the kid next week.I took the poll at the end of the article, and the results surprised me a little:

Who should be voted off "American Idol" next?
145961 responses

Fantasia Barrino 5%
Diana DeGarmo 4%
George Huff 4%
LaToya London 1%
John Stevens 84%
Jasmine Trias 2%
Who do you think will be the eventual winner of "American Idol" this season?
146416 responses

Fantasia Barrino 25%
Diana DeGarmo 3%
George Huff 8%
LaToya London 55%
John Stevens 4%
Jasmine Trias 5%

A Kyngsladye Original RMMW!

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-23-04, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
If the vote were for elimination rather than the favorite, wouldn't the problem be the same? Folks would just set their computer dialers to the opposite end. The politics of mass voting would be the same.

Surely our technology can be set to determine one vote per phone (land line and cellular, including text messages) and IP address? Or, as someone suggested, the first call is free, then a charge will be assessed. Oh wait - then the phone companies win. Sigh.

It would be fun watching the little ones racing for the nearest pay phones. Even more fun watching their parents telling the kids, "Nope. You've still got homework to do." AI could give an award for "Best Tantrum."

04-23-04, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
The problem may be the same, but my thought is that people that vote this many times are voting out of passion. Passion for Jennifer caused me to vote so many times the other night. I don't have that same passion for disliking someone though. I would passionately vote 100 times to get my person ahead but would not passionately vote against someone. I don't know that other people feel that way but I have talked to a couple of people that do feel that way. Not only that, I would feel a small amount, I said small amount, of guilt voting over and over and over again to oust someone in this type of competition. Although I don't care for Jon as a contestant I don't dislike him as a person and would sort of feel like I was digging a knife in him if I voted against him 50 times.
Just my point of view.

ssmith949 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-23-04, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ssmith949 Click to send private message to ssmith949 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
That is why I believe people should get only one vote.

04-23-04, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
If you "vote" at the bottom of the page, you see the results of a very unscientific pole:

"Who should be voted off next?"
John Stevens - 84%

"Who do you think should be the eventual winner"
Vote is split between LaToya - 55% and Fantasia - 25%.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Split?"
Uh, LaToya has a majority...

04-23-04, 10:32 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Split?"
Yes. I just meant that LaToya and Fantasia are probably going to be the last two standing.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-23-04, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Split?"
possibly, but weren't they both in the bottom 3 last week ? I see Latoya being around and Fantasia leaving before her.

04-23-04, 11:03 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Split?"
It will be interesting to see who picks up Jennifer's votes. It will also be interesting to see who really raises their bar this week as I am sure they are ALL feeling a little nervous now. I wonder if the judges are feeling some backlash too and if they are realizing that their words are affecting the voting process. Will they still call Fantasia and LaToya the Diva's or will they start to individualize them so they can start to get their own fan bases opposed to both getting the diva fan base.

04-23-04, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ssmith949 Click to send private message to ssmith949 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Split?"
How can you say their words are affecting the voting process, when they have been slamming Red Head Bad Voice for weeks. Voting for your favorite little person is dangerous.

04-23-04, 12:02 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Split?"
There has been a lot of talk about people feeling like the judges are telling us to vote for the 3 D's and therefore people are voting for johnny red as a result of not liking the judges insinuating who we should be voting for.

idlegossip 116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-23-04, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Split?"
By this time last year, I already had someone in mind for the top spot, but this year, I have no clear-cut favorite. I liked Camille, but not for her singing. It was her personality, I think. You wonder who will pick up Jennifer's vote. I was very touched by Fantasia's reaction to her being booted. I think LaToya is the best singer, and I didn't much care for F when she first started, but she's spunky, she's a performer, and her compassion over Jen is one more angle we hadn't seen. If she does well this week, F will be getting my vote(s).

I started off not liking John at all, including his singing, but the kid has shown he's good at heart. He told Jen it should have been him. He looks pained to still be there with all the negativity. I am starting to feel sorry for him, because if he does make it, he's been the subject of so many anti-john posts, the judges are almost begging us to vote him off, and the polls are showing he should go.

I know there are a lot of people who will give him the pity vote, but I am going with Fantasia, and I hope John gets to go home. He can still be contracted to do that type of singing without having to go through 6 more weeks of humiliation.

JMHO from Western NY.

04-23-04, 02:08 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Split?"
But the irony is, not one thing you said had anything to do with talent. aren't we supposed to be voting on talent?

04-23-04, 02:30 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Split?"
Folks - I'm just reporting what the very unscientific MSNBC poll said. I imagine that the respondents are very different from those that voted Jennifer off.

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Split?"
I agree that they are probably the best two singers left in the competition.

However, I would be surprised if they are the last 2 contestants left since they are both strong voiced black women who appeal to similar voters. Their vote will be split, whereas the other competitors are less likely to have their vote split with another competitor.

I do believe that LaToya or Fantasia will win, but I think that George will probably come in second. He is the most likeable contestant left and this is a popularity contest. George is the only competitor who has never been in the bottom three even though his latest efforts were not that good. My guess is that one of the two (LaToya or Fantasia) will be voted out when there are 3 or 4 contestants left.

This is the same reason that Jennifer, LaToya, and Fantasia were the bottom three this week. They appeal to the same voters.

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-23-04, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Split?"
Its strange when Diana was sick and had a bad performance, the judges made sure they made reference to it. I read that George was battling the flu and laryngitis, did you hear any references to that.
I think of any of the people, George is most happy to be there. The guy seems genuine and so appreciative that he is there. I hope he can get himself together and shine again.
Of course we have Gloria Estefan and Latin night, who in the world is picking this stuff. Why don't they let them sing what they want?? Maybe its the only songs the bad behind them knows.

04-23-04, 11:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
Voting people out would be a disaster. The winner would be a contestant no one hated, but no one loved either. Once all the abominable people got voted out, the fans would start to ban together to vote off the biggest threats. Latoya wouldn't even make the Top 6. The winner would be someone in the middle--like Amy Adams. Few loved her, but no one hated her either.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-23-04, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "look at Survivor for examples"
"Voting out" gives you winners like Vecepia and Jenna Morasca.

Survivor is the epitome of the "The meek shall inherit." All the power players are voted off before the final four because they are seen as a threat to win it all. Please don't do that to American Idol.

Consider this: If we could vote folks out starting now, John Stevens would probably be the next to go.

After that, LaToya's fans will target Fantasia, and the Fantastic Burrito's fans will target LaToya. Jasmine's fans and Diana's fans will target LaToya, the most likely winner. And LaToya goes home. Next week, gang up on Fantasia. Then get rid of George.
Eventual winner: Jasmine or Diana.
Do you want to watch that?

04-23-04, 11:18 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
Also look at how many people thought Fantasia should be voted out this week compared to last week. (Like 1%) She lost a significant portion of her fan base last week.

04-23-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
where are you getting your info on the number of votes cast. And is it peculiar that Fox releases the voting some weeks, and not others.

04-23-04, 12:00 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
No, I'm referring to the votes on the msnbc poll, sorry. I should have made that clear. They have the same poll every week. (I use it in anti-bootee game) and Fantasia had a huge drop in support from last week to this week.

04-23-04, 02:39 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
That's interesting. Her fans aren't as loyal as some of the others. Look at George. He's had two horrible weeks, and he's still in the top ranked. Is it possible that's because his fans (I'm one) just plain out like him and are willing to forgive some disastrous weeks?

Of course, I suppose the same could be said of JS.

It's the principle of me saying anything I want about my own family, but don't YOU start on them. Ya know?

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-23-04, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
I too am a George fan. I truly think George is talented, lets face it he has shown it unlike John Stevens.
Also, I actually think last week was his worst showing due to the flu and laryngitis and the song choice.
"Against all odds" was not a bad choice for him. If I reember well, Corey sang it last year and the judges loved it and George actually did it better.
I like George becasue he is genuine and truly happy to be there.

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 11:43 AM (EST)

Yes, it's an interesting article. And I actually have a different comment about it:

This is the same article that kiki_k linked to back on April 7. http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID44/715.shtml
It's now been "updated" to this version, with some changes to match the current state of the show.

You can't get to the "old" version now, but fortunately someone had quoted part of it in a reply post:

Jon Peter Lewis is a perfect example of a guy who really isn't very good, but has People anyway. They're the ones who fell in love with him during his bizarre performance of "A Little Less Conversation," which featured bad singing, apparent loss of motor control, and quite possibly appendicitis.

America cringed, but his People found his convulsive "dancing" adorable, and from here on out, they cannot be swayed by any number of mediocre showings. He could get up on stage in a given week, wave, spit on the floor, and leave, and they would dutifully vote for him for two solid hours. So far, they're keeping him in the game.

Now the author has changed this section to fit John Stevens:

Stevens is a perfect example of a guy who really isn't very good, but has People anyway. They're the ones who fell in love with him -- how, I don't know.

America cringed, but his People found his voice solid, and from here on out, they cannot be swayed by any number of mediocre showings. He could get up on stage in a given week, wave, spit on the floor, and leave, and they would dutifully vote for him for two solid hours. So far, they're keeping him in the game.

Maybe it's not "relevant" to AI, it just irks me that the same article can be recycled and revised to fit the new circumstances, with a minimum of original thought. Is this common practice for journalists?

As to voting to eliminate someone: I agree with those who are concerned that people would gang up on the threats in order to keep their less-talented faves in the show. And, it just creates a whole different vibe - instead of people being voted for, and even the bootee receiving "millions" of votes - someone will feel so disliked that "millions" of votes were cast to boot them. Not the same energy at all, not what AI is really going for. Hey, we watch Survivor for that kind of ugliness.

dangerkitty

Edited - typo

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-23-04, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Interesting article on from MSN"
The winner of a talent show is selected byjudges. The winner of a popularity contest is decided by public vote. This week's result is inherent in any popularity contest. The only way to mitigate the "fan" is to limit evach voter to one vote.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •