The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-22-04, 11:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Many of the posters here probably frequent chat rooms, including the one here on the site. Please keep in mind that you are not in chat room now. This is a moderated discussion forum. Refrain from posting until you understand the difference.

In a chat room, you can enter and post immediately anything you wish to say. It’s like walking into a party, jumping up on a table and beginning to shout. Within a few moments, your post has scrolled off the screen, and others have begun to shout. That very anarchy is part of the chat room appeal.

But again I say: This is not a chat room. This is a moderated discussion forum, and we have guidelines for posting. Ours can be found by clicking here. Lots of other useful information can be found in The Help Forum.

Reading moderated discussion forums is much easier if posts are kept in some order, called threads. It’s best to keep related thoughts in one thread. On this site, those threads spill out over pages, with the currently active discussions at the top. Many, many threads exist, and it is likely that your thoughts properly belong in one of them.

In the past few weeks, many new threads have been created, and many of those were duplicates. Not surprisingly, they were locked. Some have even been deleted. I’m sure no one wants a thread locked, or deleted. We want people to consider our opinions and react, or we wouldn’t post in the first place.

Before you begin a thread, ask yourself if your thoughts are wholly original. Do they echo what someone else has said? Do they disagree with what someone else has said? If you can answer yes, then find the correct thread and post away!

If you have a thought, idea or comment that is wholly unlike anything you can find in the first few pages, then please go ahead and begin a new thread. Others will soon join your discussion.

For more suggestions, please read the guidelines, written by our host, Webby a.k.a. SurvivorBlows. He is the person who provides the hardware, software, time and energy to make this all happen. He is ably assisted by our forum moderators, AyaK and sleeve. They all work hard, and are often discouraged by our blatant disregard for each other and the simple rules.

I appeal to you all, old, young, veteran, newbie; Use common courtesy and follow the guidelines. Use common courtesy when dealing with each other as well. This is a better place when we can all discuss the behavior of the people on the television, and not the behavior of the people on the board.

TJ out.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 *BUMP* Asrai 04-23-04 1
 RE: Attention all posters: This is ... LozengeofLove 04-23-04 2
   RE: Attention all posters: This is ... Asrai 04-23-04 3
       RE: Attention all posters: This is ... callalilly3000 04-23-04 4
           RE: Attention all posters: This is ... brvnkrz 04-23-04 7
 RE: Attention all posters: This is ... smiley 04-23-04 5
 RE: Attention all posters: This is ... ValleyGirl 04-23-04 6
 RE: Attention all posters: This is ... GrendelsMom 04-23-04 8
   RE: Attention all posters: This is ... brvnkrz 04-23-04 10
       RE: Attention all posters: This is ... Devious Weasel 04-23-04 12
           RE: Attention all posters: This is ... brvnkrz 04-23-04 14
   RE: Attention all posters: This is ... EnglProf 04-23-04 11
       RE: Attention all posters: This is ... brvnkrz 04-23-04 13
           RE: Attention all posters: This is ... EnglProf 04-23-04 17
               RE: Attention all posters: This is ... mistofleas 04-23-04 19
                   RE: Attention all posters: This is ... greenmonstah 04-23-04 20
       RE: Attention all posters: This is ... GrendelsMom 04-23-04 15
           RE: Attention all posters: This is ... EnglProf 04-23-04 18
 RE: Attention all posters: This is ... okaychatt 04-23-04 9
 RE: Attention all posters: This is ... mistofleas 04-23-04 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-23-04, 02:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "*BUMP*"
Just bumping so everybody has a chance to see and read this very important thread! Well said, Joisey!

One reason why I never come and participate here on the AI forum is because of the ridiculous multiple threads and the fact that I feel like I'm on acid whenever I stop by!

ASRAI

LozengeofLove 1060 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-23-04, 02:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail LozengeofLove Click to send private message to LozengeofLove Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Wonderfully worded, Joisey. Now if only there were a way to ensure people could read this before registering.

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 03:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
It's funny you say that, Lozenge. I have been thinking of emailing the mods and seeing if there is any way that when a person registers for the first time, they are automatically taken to the guidlines and asked to abide by and behave in a way that upholds the guidelines before being taken to the main page to start playing in Webby's playground.

I'm not sure just how much work this would involve, or if it's even possible. Maybe I'll email them and find out. At the very least it would be a sure way to make sure the newbies read the guidelines. When, and IF, they didn't follow them, or were violtaing them, they couldn't say that they never read them or couldn't find them. Who knows, some peeps just never learn!

ASRAI

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-23-04, 07:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
I posted that exact same suggestion in another thread. I think when a person receives their e-mail confirmation, the guidlines should be sent with them.

It should say something like "Please read the following guidlines before logging in". I know when I first came into the boards, the guidlines where not plaining posted, as it is, they are at the top of the page in very, small writing. If they were in "my face", so to speak, I would have never started my first thread. I was so excited about sharing my thoughts with others, that also shared the same passion (AI), as myself, the guidlines went ignored, and I know that is what happens to alot of posters.

The only reason I ended reading the guidlines, is because someone bumped the "Welome New Posters Thread" up to the top. I started reading the posts, and went "oops". And now I am a very good girl, and I never start a new thread.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Go ahead lilly, start a new thread. I dare you.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-23-04, 07:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail smiley Click to send private message to smiley Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Well said TJ

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-23-04, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Well said TeamJoisey, your efforts make it all worthwhile posting here and when the guidelines are adhered to it makes it a much better place to call 'home'.
Thanks. VG.

A great year to be a Leafs fan!

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-23-04, 10:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Thanks, TJ. I wanted to post something similar to this the other night, but I refrained. We should also post a warning about Spoilers that DEFINES what a spoiler is--BvK's thread says please don't post one, but I realized last week that people might not know what that is.

For anyone new folk reading this thread, a spoiler (as defined in the guidelines) is a thread or post that gives away the results of the show before others have had a chance to see it. For a couple of hours after the show airs, please make sure you post comments specific to that night's show in the SPOILER THREAD only.

<==flashed by J_Loaf
I'll bet that only a few people see this, and it won't make a bit of difference, but at least I feel better. Oh, and? bump.

04-23-04, 10:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
I am not being sarcastic with this question. Is there the same kind of problem over on the Survivor Boards? I know that there and some other places like Big Brother, the topics are split, Discussion/Basher/Spoiler. Does that help to keep the problem to a minimum or are the demographics just different so that Survivor is getting a more mature crowd? Is it a lot of work to spilt it like that? I know it has been mentioned here before about splitting it up but didn't know if that was massive work for Webby?

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
The Survivor Boards are split into Spoilers, Bashers, and Fanatics. But I don't know if there are enough AI spoilers to warrant a Board for them.

And no, this doesn't happen this badly on Survivor Spoilers. But that's a pretty serious crowd over there, and people lurk there longer without posting or without posting much.

04-23-04, 10:57 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Got it, thanks and that makes sense.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-23-04, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 10:48 AM (EST)

Just to continue what GM's saying here, even though American Idol is on live on the East Coast and in Central Time, IT ISN'T on the West Coast, so anything said before 12:00am on the East Coast will be a SPOILER.

--*thinks* she got the math right...
--edited to *wave* at GM ~ Hi GM!

04-23-04, 10:55 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Good Morning Humperdink,
And in keeping with what you are saying, that is why I wonder if the AI board was split between discussion and spoiler if that would help keep spoilers away from the west coast. If a new poster were to click on AI and they had to make a choice and they saw two different boards to choose from, they would be forced to read what a spoiler was when going to make a choice between which link to click.

04-23-04, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Mornin! I've missed you guys! Yesterday was DH's b-day, so I had to entertain him.

The Spoiler board for AI is an interesting idea. I think it would wrangle a lot of those newbies who were faced with a decision. The mods might not like it though, because AI Spoilers do not equal Survivor Spoilers; maybe AI isn't big enough (in many ways) for its own two threads?

But I do think it would save us all a lot of headaches. It's getting to the point where I avoid stopping in for days after the results show-- but then I miss all the good conversations with my friends. Argh!

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
I emailed webby earlier this week and asked if he would look into dividing AI into Bashers and Fanatics. I honestly don't think there's even reason for a "Spoiler" forum for AI since we can't "Spoile" (in the Survivor sense) something that is happening in real time. But dividing into Fanatics and Bashers would be appropriate. That way those of use who want to bash away at any and all of the contestants can do so without guilt and those who want to fawn and support them may do so as well.

--adding 2 cents since 2001

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
Sure you can post spoilers...watch the show in East Coast time, ignore all rules and regulations by posting a roving report (with the Caps Lock on, naturally) OUTSIDE of the provided Spoiler Thread, sulk when the thread gets locked, claim everybody here is uptight on another post, repeat the following week.

Above post a spoof. Please do not attempt. Thank you.

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-23-04, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
For an Engl-prof, your math is jes' fine.

<==flashed by J_Loaf
*waves at Humperdinck*

04-23-04, 11:28 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
This Humperdink thing isn't going anywhere, huh? Now they've got you doing it!

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-23-04, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
A friendly, calmly stated plea. Kudos!

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Attention all posters: This is not a Chat Room"
See why I love TJ? Thanks babe, you put it beautifully!

Oh and just to make sure everyone knows..."I" *hearted* TJ first, way over on the Spoilers Board.

--smooches the smart guy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •