The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-17-04, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
A quote from today's TV column in a local paper.

'And still more reality sleaze: tonight at 9, the WB unleashes "Superstar USA", an "American Idol" parody where the good singers are sent home and the deluded bad ones get to continue while being flattered by the studio audience and judges.

How did the show get the audience to applaud wildly at the tone-deaf singers? According to a report in the Los Angeles Times, the crowd was told the singers were terminally ill beneficiaries of the Make-A-Wish foundation.

The producers later apologized, but hopefully viewers will skip Superstar USA. After all, we already have a version of American Idol where the bad singers stick around and the good ones go home. It's called this season's American Idol." (Alan Sepinwall, Star-Ledger)

Or in other words, it's not only bashable, it went and painted targets on its back, chest, and forehead just to help us aim better. We have broken through the bottom of the barrel and started to dig...

(They couldn't just tell the audience it was a hoax?)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... dabo 05-17-04 1
   RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... Estee 05-17-04 2
 RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... Drive My Car 05-17-04 3
   RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... dabo 05-17-04 4
       RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... Estee 05-17-04 5
       RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... Drive My Car 05-17-04 6
           RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... mistofleas 05-17-04 7
               RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... Drive My Car 05-17-04 8
 OMG OMG OMG!!! Drive My Car 05-17-04 9
   RE: OMG OMG OMG!!! Estee 05-17-04 10
       RE: OMG OMG OMG!!! Drive My Car 05-17-04 11
           RE: OMG OMG OMG!!! zombiebaby 05-17-04 12
               He , She, It? Drive My Car 05-17-04 15
                   RE: He , She, It? Estee 05-17-04 17
           RE: OMG OMG OMG!!! Estee 05-17-04 14
 RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... zombiebaby 05-17-04 13
 The Man Perm! Drive My Car 05-17-04 16
   RE: The Man Perm! Estee 05-17-04 18
       RE: The Man Perm! Drive My Car 05-17-04 19
           RE: The Man Perm! Estee 05-17-04 20
               RE: The Man Perm! BLefeb1781 05-18-04 21
                   RE: The Man Perm! dabo 05-18-04 22
                       RE: The Man Perm! Siren 05-18-04 23
 WB Link FSUGUY 05-18-04 24
 GREATEST. SHOW. EVER. shakes the clown 05-18-04 25
   RE: GREATEST. SHOW. EVER. Estee 05-18-04 26
   RE: GREATEST. SHOW. EVER. Schnookie Palookie 05-19-04 28
 RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... Estee 05-19-04 27
 Summaries? SurvivorBlows 05-19-04 29
 This show is awesome Oscirus 05-19-04 30
 RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... love2smile 05-27-04 31
 RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... motormouth 06-04-04 32
   RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they... love2smile 06-04-04 33

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-04, 01:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
This trainwreck just gets worse and worser.

>(They couldn't just tell the audience
>it was a hoax?)

According to the TV promos you'd think that's what they had done. So, they lied to the contestants, they lied to the audience, they lied to the potential viewers! This show deserves to be avoided at all costs.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

05-17-04, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
I can see where they would have been worried about someone giving the game away: the temptation to get up and scream 'It's a hoax! They're trying to fool you into thinking you're good! Get off the stage!' would have been strong, especially during a really bad performance. But the method they choose to get the audience behind the -- I can't say 'contestants' here, can I? -- was reprehensible.

At the very least, let's hope they took the good singers aside after their dissing/dismissal and explained what actually happened. Not that it forgives the rest, but at least it would have been something.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-04, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
You know what to blame for this?

The craptacular spectical that is Willie Hung and all the people who cheered him on.

05-17-04, 08:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
I just hope someone will watch this and report back on whether we should believe all the contestants are really as gullible as the producers would have us believe.

05-17-04, 08:33 PM (EST)
5. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
Can't somebody else do it?

(Migawd, I'm quoting Homer Simpson campaign slogans.)

05-17-04, 08:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
I'll probably take one for the team and at least look at a couple minutes of it, the clips from the evil pop up were pretty darn funny, mostly the judges comments.

I expect to be shunned and ridiculed.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-04, 08:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
I expect to be shunned and ridiculed.

*readies her shun gun*

--reminds buggy that ridiculing costs extra

05-17-04, 08:50 PM (EST)
8. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."

Don't forget to mock me.

05-17-04, 09:17 PM (EST)
9. "OMG OMG OMG!!!"
I'm the only one watching this, aren't I?

Did everyone miss the stripper who wrote the song lyrics on her hand and informed them that her breasts were real???
This is so funny.

Evil, but funny.

05-17-04, 09:28 PM (EST)
10. "RE: OMG OMG OMG!!!"
No. You're not the only one. I'm watching, too. You can tell I'm watching because I wouldn't want to die this badly if I was watching something else.

05-17-04, 09:33 PM (EST)
11. "RE: OMG OMG OMG!!!"
It's so mean.
The dweeb singing Big Butts has me crying I am laughing so hard.

These people completely believe they have talent.

But I'm thinking, is this any meaner than Idol auditions when Simon shoots people's dreams down? ( well ok, he is telling the truth)

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-04, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: OMG OMG OMG!!!"
What was up with the guy/girl(?) who sang the Air Supply? Was it a girl?

This is pretty funny, they pick funnier songs to sing at the auditions than AI!

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

"You don't need pants for the victory dance"

05-17-04, 09:39 PM (EST)
15. "He , She, It?"
The host called it 'Rose' than it corrected him and said the name was Roz, and he wasn't a girl.

I was humming "Here Comes Pat" from SNL.

Is it wrong to laugh at these people?

I still blame Willie Hung for this

05-17-04, 09:48 PM (EST)
17. "RE: He , She, It?"
You've managed a laugh? I'm up to my ninth cringe.

And I was thinking Pat, too. For a few seconds, I thought the hoax had been turned on the judges.

I think Ross will reach the makeover stage, if only so that Ross can reach the makeover stage.

05-17-04, 09:38 PM (EST)
14. "RE: OMG OMG OMG!!!"
I think the kindest thing they could do is give the decent singers directions to AI's fourth season, then cancel the show immediately. And I mean immediately. Twenty-two minutes of straight commercials? I can do that.

The worst part? I'm taping it. I thought 'Well, someone might want a summary of this' and actually started recording it. But I don't want to try a summary any more, because it would mean watching it again...

Maybe if I played it on Closed Captioning? Or would the letters start to melt?

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-04, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."

Are all the commercials on this starring reality show "stars"? Just saw Colby and Carson from "Queer Eye".

One more of J Slice's Awesome Creations!

"You don't need pants for the victory dance"

05-17-04, 09:47 PM (EST)
16. "The Man Perm!"

It's the anti-Idol!
No Justin clones allowed.

" Joe likes to sing, Joe is gonna be a star, Joe has always known he had talent"

Oh, Estee, this is classic stuff, you must write that summary!

05-17-04, 09:50 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The Man Perm!"
We're sorry. The summary writer you have reached is no longer a DAW. All DAW status has been eradicated by those last horrible high notes. Please check the former DAW's post number and dial again later.

05-17-04, 09:59 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The Man Perm!"
Darn! I must have the wrong number.

I understand, even DAW's got standards.

You're going to Hollywood! *snort*

05-17-04, 10:08 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The Man Perm!"
Well, it's not just standards. (I can hear people laughing from here.) Of the three shows I've done summaries for, two are off the air. One of those has practically no hope of return and the other is doomed to a 2 a.m. timeslot for four months. The third never even had the finale summarized after I hit the opener.

In other words, if I summarize this thing, I'm probably going to kill it.

...hmmm...

...you know, now that I'm thinking this over...

...forget it. You do it. I'll mail you the tape.

BLefeb1781 39 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-18-04, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BLefeb1781 Click to send private message to BLefeb1781 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The Man Perm!"
Does no one see the genius in this? Its the most entertaining thing on TV right now. Yes they all sing bad but they totally believe that they're terrific. I for one will be watching this train wreck just to see the look on the face of the winner. As for feeling sorry for them...as if. They have to know that there terrible. No one can be that tone deaf.

BL

05-18-04, 10:34 AM (EST)
22. "RE: The Man Perm!"
Thank you for answering that question. I'd kind of figured that, even if all the contestants are 100% delusional about their singing talent, they'd probably all know lousy in the others when they heard it.

SMILES ARE FREE

Siren 246 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-18-04, 12:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Siren Click to send private message to Siren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: The Man Perm!"
dabo, perhaps I misinterpreted the spoiler scenes, but it appeared to me that the, ahem, "performers" would be isolated so that they would not be able to hear each other, for lack of a better word, "sing". That way, they would not be able to hear the lack of talent of the others until the duet at the end.

I did feel bad for some of the contestants, but I had to laugh at some of the DAWs that were not only talentless, but downright cocky, like the woman with the "real" breasts. I really felt for the really good singers, since most of them appeared to be really heartbroken after they were dismissed.

another fantabulous Kittyloaf® creation
still embarrassed I watched the darn thing

FSUGUY 447 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-18-04, 03:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FSUGUY Click to send private message to FSUGUY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "WB Link"
if you dare....

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/GenericShow/0,11116,169159,00.html

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-18-04, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "GREATEST. SHOW. EVER."
This might very well be the greatest reality show of alltime.

At first, I was suprised that one of the producers was going to be a judge...I thought they should get a professional comedian instead. But, about 5 mintutes into the show I realized that this producer guy is funnier than any comedian they could've come up with.

And Vitamin C is hilarious as well.

I also love the fact that they tear into the good singers. It would've been really easy to just cut them and say they weren't right for the show, but instead they tear into them as if they are the worst singers ever. Its great.

Some of my fav moments from last night....

-Ripping on the Canadian ("Not on my watch!")
-The big boob girl and the producer admitting he didn't listen to a word she said.
-when everyone left the room ala American Idol and the producer said "I think at this time it would be best if you just left."

But, without a doubt, my fav was when the "its Pat" thing was up there and the producer said, "I'm just going to come right out and ask the question that everyone here is dying to know the answer to" and you totally think he's gonna ask it if its a boy or a girl, but instead he screams out "where did you learn to sing like that!?!"

I can't wait for tonight...did you see the knock knock joke clip from the previews? Knock knock? Singer-"who's there?" Producer-"you svck!".

Classic.

SO much better than American Idol.

05-18-04, 04:28 PM (EST)
26. "RE: GREATEST. SHOW. EVER."
Shakes has the summary!

(I'll mail you the tape.)

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: GREATEST. SHOW. EVER."

Gotta agree ... I'm loving this show

An IceCat Classic

05-19-04, 07:51 AM (EST)
27. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
Is this the first reality show -- sorry, my mistake, 'reality show' -- to dump precaps for a full-blown saga cell? They repeated the same 'we're going to take them to Hollywood and destroy their lives' sequence about six hundred and forty times last night (give or take two) with the entire thing repeated frame for frame. If you can see Tone Loc's eyebrows, it's already too late.

They also seem to have graduated Magma Cum Drekly from the Joe Millionaire school of editing. 'Stay tuned for the final twelve -- the final twelve is coming soon -- we're just about to reach the final twelve -- on Friday.'

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-04, 01:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "Summaries?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-19-04 AT 01:21 PM (EST)

I'm just wondering if anyone is planning on doing summaries for this show -- I noticed sevral people mentioned their interest in the "summer planning" thread but since it's not really a "summer" show (it's only on for three weeks) I hadn't listed it in the summer programming list.

Thanks,
SB

PS I believe the two-hour broadcast on Friday in not episodes 3 and 4 -- it's just repeats of Monday and Tuesday's broadcast of episodes 1 and 2

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

05-19-04, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "This show is awesome"
The best new reality show this year.Vitamin C is surprisingly funny. This is a better reality show than anything Fox, upn or abc has put on. Too bad it'll probably only be a one shot deal.

My favorite moment was when thay convinced that one guy to change his name to Curkle. I also liked the Milf comment

I still can't believe these people are dumb enough to belive what the judges are telling them. It's a shame but it's also so doggone funny

love2smile 194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-27-04, 08:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail love2smile Click to send private message to love2smile Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
This has got to be the funniest show to hit the airwaves! My favorite was the guy who came out in heels! He just might take this thing all the way.... lol!

motormouth 4507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-04-04, 06:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail motormouth Click to send private message to motormouth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
HI, My question is, don't they have friends who would have told them the truth? I know I would have found out how bad I am long before getting to a show like this. They are just so arrogant that I can't feel sorry for them.

love2smile 194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-04-04, 07:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail love2smile Click to send private message to love2smile Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: 'Give it up for the kids: they're dying!' Superstar USA goes to extreme measures."
lol.......I agree! but with friends like that who needs enemies?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •