The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-26-04, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
Did anyone else watch this? I got completely sucked in. The set up worked well this time. I liked the new Chairman well enough. The American Iron Chefs were fun. Ok, Bobby Flay wasn't "fun", but I respect him at the very least. Mario and Wolfgang both showed some humor & class. Wolfgang makes everything seem so effortless. Mario just really has fun. Mr. Flay is just too intense sometimes & needs to lighten up.

Alton Brown was THE PERFECT host. He added just enough humor to keep the atmosphere light in the heat of competition.

The original Iron Chefs were great. I thought Sakai & Morrimoto were class acts and put up an awesome fight.

Very cool idea of mixing the teams for the finale. Wish Flay and Morrimoto would've had more fun.

Dish I most wanted to try: Sakai's spicy trout soup

Dish I least wanted to try: Sakai's trout ice cream

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of th... Bebo 04-26-04 1
   Chen Kenichi PhoenixMons 01-24-05 14
 RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of th... StarryLuna 04-26-04 2
 RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of th... mistofleas 04-26-04 3
   RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of th... PagongRatEater 04-28-04 6
       RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of th... mistofleas 04-29-04 7
 RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of th... Deonna 04-26-04 4
 Cooking show or entertainment? PagongRatEater 04-28-04 5
   Rateater! mistofleas 04-29-04 8
 Almost a year later survivorscott 01-03-05 9
   RE: Almost a year later ginger 01-03-05 10
   RE: Almost a year later okaychatt 01-24-05 12
 RE: Iron Chef America - Using RAW f... JKim248 01-23-05 11
   RE: Iron Chef America - Using RAW f... okaychatt 01-24-05 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 03:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
Missed Puck's battle, since it was on the same time as Alias, but caught most of the rest.

This was monumentally better than the ridiculous version that UPN tried because:

- The commentators knew a thing or two about food. Alton tried too hard to lighten the mood sometimes, but just when I would get bored with him, he'd start making interesting comments about the food. I also liked how he brought in the history from the prior show, such as Sakai's record in fish battles.

- Sakai and Morimoto are so cool. I'm so glad that Food Network realized how much the audience valued the earlier Iron Chefs and didn't try just getting all new people involved. (Can't say original, since Morimoto wasn't the original Iron Chef Japanese, but I didn't want to call them old-timers either!)

- Mr. B and I are huge Sakai fans, but when we saw Flay's dishes, we had to cheer for a Flay victory even though we think he's a jerk. We were drooling over all of Flay's offerings. Mr. B just keeps talking about tapas.

- I loved the twist where they split the teams. I was sure Flay and Morimoto would win because I thought their styles complimented each other well.

At one point, Sakai mentioned that Chen Kenichi was supposed to have come too but wasn't able to make it. Wonder why. It would have been awesome to see him - he adds fun to the mix.

I'm hoping for more, because I really enjoyed these episodes.

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-24-05, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Chen Kenichi"
Bebo, Chen was too ill to make it.

DH loves Sakai (Kenichi is my fave) and we both think Flay is a jerk (or should that be asshat?). I always liked Morimoto, too.

I wish I would have caught this show...I didn't have very high expectations for it and didn't really think enough about it to remember when it was on.

Got blog?

StarryLuna 4771 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

04-26-04, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StarryLuna Click to send private message to StarryLuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
The only episode I saw was the one with the two mixed teams. I'm hoping to catch the others on repeat this week. I thought Bobby Flay was super stressed out though, he didn't seem to enjoy the experience at all. This is the first time I've watched Iron Chef, I'm going to try to watch more often.

"No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion of him than he deserves."

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-04 AT 04:37 PM (EST)

Kenichi-san has been in poor health lately and was unable to make the trip to America to do the tapings.

Iron Chef Chinese Chen Kenichi was in poor health at the time and couldn't make the trip, but one of the sous chefs working with Sakai brought along his signature cleaver.

Zap2it ARticle.

I have had a secret crush on Mark Dacascos ever since I saw the failed TV series based on The Crow in which he played Eric Draven. I had no idea he was Chairman Kagas nephew so was completely delighted to see him taking his Uncles place. I thought he did a great job, very respectful, taking a back seat and letting the food and chef's shine. Besides being a complete hottie of course.

Alton is my new boyfriend (don't tell Mr.Fleas!) so I was really happy with the job he did with the play by plays. Flay needs to get over his damn self, honestly! Sakai is fabulous. Batali is just adorable in his cute little shorts and rubber boots. Morimoto has a style all his own and I like the fact he doesn't compromise that even when he's feeding an American palate. Puck...well he's a good chef but he annoys the crap out of me (not as much as Flay though to be sure) so I'll reserve my comments.

--has a goal to be the first female Iron Chef

edited to fix link

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
Hey misto, as an aspiring chef maybe you know or can find out for me how many different types of pasta exist? I'm doing a table on Italy at my daughters school and thought that would be a neat fact for the kids.

P.S. I KNOW that pasta was invented in China - but it was PERFECTED in Italy.

04-29-04, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
Wow, there are as many types of pasta out there as there are balls of dough waiting to be formed!

I can do some research for you though and get you the standard kinds. I'm assuming you mean mainly the typical Italian pastas. Penne, ziti, capallini etc.

I've got to scoot to work now, but I'll be back on in about an hour (with my textbooks) and give you an update.

--purely likes the sound of "aspiring chef"

Deonna 2425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

04-26-04, 09:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Deonna Click to send private message to Deonna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters"
I watched all the episodes. I knew that there was no way Sakai would win with American judges. He had two dishes with raw trout. I have had fish ice cream (and green tea ice cream) in Japan. Before going to Japan I had never met a dessert I did not like. There is nothing worse than Japanese ice cream in my opinion.

I also thought Alton Brown was perfect.

Deonna

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-04, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Cooking show or entertainment?"
As a huge fan of the original series, I watched all of the episodes over the weekend and have to admit I came away mostly satisfied. My concern is that ICA just turns this into another cooking show. The best part of the old show was that it was Ready, Set, Cook meets Godzilla. Disjointed edited, strange commentary, VERY dumb actresses on the panel and wierd food. I liked the "what the heck is THAT!" aspect of the old show.

Personally, I'll watch if I happen to catch it on, but it doesn't seem destined for the Tivo list. I will agree with all above that Alton was a great host - good mix of humor and information. I think it was a shame that Sakai and Morimoto just got blown away on the scoreboards, but I guess that it mostly a palate thing (even though Flay was able to go to Japan and win).

04-29-04, 10:07 AM (EST)
8. "Rateater!"
Check your waving red flag sweetie. I PM'd you pasta information as opposed to going Off Topic here.

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-03-05, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Almost a year later"
Looks like we get Iron Chef America: the series starting on January 16th.
One big change, looks like Wolfgang Puck is out and Masaharu Morimoto is now and American Iron Chef

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-05, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Almost a year later"
Remember: It's trout ice cream WITH EYEBALL. That's the cherry on top.

I like Alton on Good Eats.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-24-05, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Almost a year later"
<series starting on January 16th

Channel and EST time, please.

Are the ingredients as icky as on the original Iron Chef? Fish eyes and eels, for example?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

JKim248 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-23-05, 10:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JKim248 Click to send private message to JKim248 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Iron Chef America - Using RAW fresh water fish."
Just got done seeing Batali Vs. Trevino.

Just got back from Puerto Rico after living their for 1 1/2 years. I wonder which restaurants Trevino owned. I wonder if I tried his restaurants.

Couple concerns I wonder if other viewers have:
1) Never seen catfish on the menu in Puerto Rico.
Red snapper (whole), Mahi-Mahi, Sword fish and grouper seemed the most common. (All salt water fish.)
Has Trevino even used a catfish before? I wouldn't imagine broth from a catfish head tasting very good.

2) Ceviche is very popular in Puerto Rico due to Spanish influences.

I may be mistaken but I've always believed you never eat fresh water fish without fully cooking it due to parasite concerns. (Tape worms, Round worms, etc)

Am I mistaken? is that not true?
Since parasite larva is suppose to survive stomach acid I can't imagine citric acid doing much.

I think FDA requires all raw fish served in the states be frozen for at least 7 days at negative 32 degrees. (Again due to parasite concerns.)

Is that not true?

I tried to avoid all raw fish down in Puerto Rico because I don't think they had to follow FDA rules. (PR being an independent ruled territory.) I've seen too many hair saloons serving food in the same room, and other violations I don't want to mention.

Anyway, I wonder if the judges can decline to eat food made out of raw fresh water fish?

Has U.S. made some excellent strides in preventing parasitic infestation from farmed catfish or trout?

Is the show teaching people to trust the safety of what we eat to strange chefs we never met before?
How are we guaranteed that the chef knows what he's doing?
That we're safe from eating raw catfish he serves up in a Ceviche cooked with Citric Acid when worm larva can survive Hydrochloric acid in our stomach?

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-24-05, 08:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Iron Chef America - Using RAW fresh water fish."
<That we're safe from eating raw catfish he serves up in a Ceviche cooked with Citric Acid when worm larva can survive Hydrochloric acid in our stomach?

Talk about info I didn't even know to ask about! I knew there was a reason I avoid any kind of meat, fish, or poultry raw.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •